How much more RAM efficient is Linux?
In browsing / gaming
(Ubuntu, Debian or Mint)

>Win 8.1 user for almost 5y
>notice RAM at 70-90% usage
>TM says FFox is only using 3-5gb / 16gb

will either keep 16gb laptop
or get new desktop with just 8gb
(remember seeing ppl talk about having only 4gb)

Attached: images (48).jpg (316x316, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxatemyram.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=WmuSvmVHARQ
youtube.com/watch?v=VqYxERaeoXI
romanzolotarev.com/openbsd/xenodm.html
jeancarlomachado.net/blog/why-i-left-linux.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GDpmVUEjagg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

=< 200MiB

very little compared to windows
4gb is enough, 8 is plenty
16 is huge

thanks user

i take it you game then?
and if so:
what games / how much do they usually use?

4 GB are more than sufficient.
The problem with modern software is that it is built by people who got hired because they are transsexuals or SJW, not because they are actually qualified and good programmers.
These days's software is bloated with at least 40% of functions and code that are pretty much never used but are still registered on memory. Why clean up your software if the end user can simply buy more RAM, right? Heh..
The same happens to Windows.
Linux on the other hand doesn't. Most of the kernel drivers/modules aren't loaded by default even though they are installed, so a command line installation will run on pretty much everything, even a 2006 phone will run it, routers run it, everything runs it because it is well optimized and thought-out (at least for now). The problem with modern Linux distros is the DE itself, like GNOME or KDE which are both bloated and stuffed with useless code that is never run and just sits there on your RAM.

Firefox is a peace of shit and I'm certain that after version 10 or so got release it went downhill. I miss loading pages quickly and cleanly. Now I have a 200 mb optic fiber internet link and it takes me 5 seconds to fully load edition.cnn.com and 12 seconds to load rt.com, I feel like I'm in 2002 again with my dial up crap.

Anyway. If you're going to use Firefox, GNOME and other likewise crap, 8 gigs will do it, but you could get 16 to be sure and never worry. And you can double these numbers 5 years from now.

linuxatemyram.com/
Read this.

>Firefox is a piece of shit
what fast + security / privacy focused browser would you recommend?

>GNOME and other likewise crap
new to Linux,
whats wrong with GNOME?

I used on average 50-70% of my ram using Windows 10, running Xubuntu, now I run a Virtual Machine, torrent, youtube, and multiple browser windows, Reaper, Steam, and a high graphics game and use about 30% though my rame was maxed out (using 8gs)

I like Waterfox. Theres others. I dont like Gnome because it seems slow to me. I like a lightweight desktop.

what the fuck is =

>not loading the whole OS to RAM

GNOME takes up a lot of resources but doesn't have anything to show for it. It lacks features and usability out of the box, and actually has a low framerate.
If you want a modern desktop experience, use KDE.
If you want something lightweight that works exactly the same, use XFCE/LXDE/MATE/Trinity.

Especially love Trinity, because it's excellent on the feature side while being a lot lighter.
Only trouble is it can glitch out.

Linux is extremely RAM and CPU efficient unless you use GNOME.

Not that user
I just have Linux on my 2008 chinkpad with kb, mice and monitor and when I want to play vidya I stream it through steam from my normal pc

>How much more RAM efficient is Linux?
Depends on the distro.
>In browsing / gaming
What gaming
>(Ubuntu, Debian or Mint)
A out as bad as winblows

Sad smiley. Look closer:
" I have no money for a new iToy =< "

You could do it on less than one gb, but I'd recommend at least 4 for daily use. Go with lightweight distros and DE's (like xfce)

Linux is just the kernel.
>Depends on the distro.
No it doesn't. It depends on what you have running besides the OS. The distro, which is basically just the summation of the kernel version, package manager, and base packages, makes no difference.

My OpenBSD computer idles at 200mb of RAM with the LXqt desktop. It has 16GB of RAM but I've never seen it use more than 3GB.

Attached: IMG_20181123_032455.jpg (3120x4160, 2.44M)

>60 mb
'pure' linux
>200 mb
no gui
>500 mb
lxde, lxqt, xfce, enlightenment
>800 mb
kde, cinnamon
>1 gb
gnome, budgie, unity

i need that login screen

Give me a few minutes and I'll post the instructions.

not much, it's optimized for servers and not desktops

-2gb
LM xfce, mate
Xubuntu, lubuntu
4gb+
Kubuntu Ubun Budgie, Ubuntu mate
LM cinammon
8gb+
Ubuntu(gnome)

It's going to be pretty similar desu. What would change the most is processor efficiency I imagine. That and less memory overhead from the operating system and its background processes. The game's memory usage itself is probably close to identical if not identical.

16G and load the whole OS into memory, its not like you will change files every 10mines or so

1. Install Slim login manager and extra themes:
>pkg_add slim
>pkg_add slim-themes

2. Follow the instructions in these video to configure Slim"
> youtube.com/watch?v=WmuSvmVHARQ
> youtube.com/watch?v=VqYxERaeoXI

3. After Slim is working, edit the default Slim Theme
> go to: /usr/local/share/slim/themes/
> copy the /default/ folder and make a duplicate called /default-old/ or something
> copy the contents of the /openbsd-simple/ folder and paste all of it inside the /default/ folder, over-writing everything
> paste the attached image into the /default/ folder, over-writing everything
> in the default folder, edit the file slim.theme to adjust the font and the position of the login text:

Attached: panel.png (350x292, 53K)

## OpenBSD SLiM Theme based on Gentoo SLiM Theme
## Author: Joshua Saddler ([email protected])
## Adapted for OpenBSD: Miguel Vidal ([email protected])

# Text messages for startup, shutdown, reboot, etc.
msg_color #eeeeee
msg_font Verdana:size=10:bold:dpi=96
msg_x 50%
msg_y 70%

# valid values: stretch, tile
background_style stretch
background_color #000000

# input box controls
input_font Sans:size=12:dpi=96
input_fgcolor #000000
# panel location
input_panel_x 50%
input_panel_y 40%
input_name_x 81
input_name_y 279
# force single input box (gdm style)
input_pass_x -1
input_pass_y -1

# Username/password request text
username_font Sans:size=12:dpi=96
username_color #eeeeee
username_x 74
username_y 249
password_x 74
password_y 249
username_msg Username:
password_msg Password:

# Welcome message text, in this case, the informational change session
# (relative to the panel)
# welcome_x 50%
# welcome_y 100%
# welcome_font Verdana:size=10:bold:dpi=96
# welcome_color #eeeeee
# welcome_msg Welcome to %host

I mean, FireFox and Chromium are memory hogs
If it weren't for those 2 programs, 1GB would be plenty

why would you do that? xenodm is already this configurable

Tell me how!

romanzolotarev.com/openbsd/xenodm.html
I would use imagemagick for background image, but whatever you want

What's the command for installing imagemagick on OpenBSD? I looked for it last night but didn't find it.

I have a Thinkpad with 4 GB of RAM, and running firefox with extensions (adblock, lastpass, tampermonkey) and Discord open in one tab consumes 600 MB. 4 GB is definitely enough for browsing and light usage.

The amount of RAM needed depends mostly on your usage patterns because the difference in OS overhead is comparatively small. Don't go lower than 8 GB, just get 1x8GiB 2x4GiB so you have plenty but you can easily upgrade to 16 in the future if you feel like it.

Software bloat started before SJWs got a foothold in tech. It's simply cheaper to hire less skilled developers and develop a meh product.

$ pkg_info -Q imagemagick
ImageMagick-6.9.10.10p1
$ doas pkg_add ImageMagick

how do you make the code appear in the white box?

HTML tag injection

[HTML]test[/HTML]

Icecat or ungoogled-chromium

test

the keyword is "code" but i forget exact syntax and people here are going to be giant faggots about answer your question

[CODE]test[/CODE]

holy crap you must be retarded. don't worry, Jow Forums is riddled with such people

Where in the fuck can I see the instructions for an html injection?

>people here are going to be giant faggots about answer your question

but he got the answer and still managed to fuck it up
nobody likes newfags anyway

Switching operating systems does not make the programs you use magically better.

Firefox will still eat up 3-5GB of RAM if left unchecked.

The only difference is that the kernel uses very little RAM compared to Windows, BUT depending on what DE you use you may as well not notice a fucking difference if you choose GNOME or some shit.

jeancarlomachado.net/blog/why-i-left-linux.html

Damn robots, making dank music.
youtube.com/watch?v=GDpmVUEjagg

It takes about 500MB to boot in to LXDE. My integrated GPU steals about 250MB

>In browsing / gaming
It depends. You can still write bloated garbage for Linux. I'm using 1.5GB right now (not including what the GPU stole) and I'm using my computer like I normally do. I have 7 tabs open in Chromium and that's where most of that is. I don't game much and when I do it's some nostalgia stuff from my childhood or Dwarf Fortress. That's pretty low on RAM usage.

I have 8GB and the only time I go over 4GB is when I'm running a VM. If you want to run a VM that sees 4GB of RAM, it's going to cost you 4GB. That's all there is to it.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 12 or 16GB of RAM. The reason why is the rest of that RAM is not going to waste. I have 6GB of files on my HDD cached to RAM right now. My RAM has a read/write speed of 21GB/s. My SATA port does about .7GB/s assuming I upgraded to a SSD that could saturate it. I cache a ton of files in a background process when I boot up. After 5 minutes my OS runs like it's on a RAM disk.

Linux will run alright with little RAM, but it runs even better with more RAM.
I don't see why you would take a step back, RAM is fairly cheap.