Why would anyone use ubuntu when debian exists??

why would anyone use ubuntu when debian exists??

Attached: openlogo-nd.png (322x400, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?firstlist=ubuntu&secondlist=debian&firstversions=1&secondversions=1&resource=compare-packages&view=all&refresh=Refresh
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

or any distro downstream of debian

because its better

obligatory

Attached: 1541543576139.png (2133x1200, 1.01M)

Because I don't want ancient packages and dependency conflicts from using 3rd party repos to use fresher software?

ubuntu is downstream from debian, retardo, its packages aren't any more ancient than ubuntu's

ubuntu for fucking awkward hardware.

spbp

Demonstrably false. Many debian (especially in Debian stable) packages are often several versions behind the ones you get from Ubuntu repos.

easier wifi setup

- You get decent font rendering out of the box
- nvidia drivers work out of the box
- non ancient packages

Ubuntu is more polished. Also, Mint is more polished than Ubuntu. The question is why would anyone use Ubuntu MATE/Xfce/Cinnamon when Mint exists?

Disclaimer: Been ages since I tried Debian on anything but a raspberry or similar device.

Because Ubuntu is:

-based on source packages from Debian unstable WITH security patches, it's fresher, newer.
-compatible with PPAs, you can add PPAs to Debian but will very likely break things
-more ubiquitous than Debian, easier to find howtos
-user friendlier, no need to dig for a non-free ISO

Those are literally meme arguments, each one can be refuted by using the unstable branch.

Demonstrably false.

All ubuntu repos are derived from Debian Unstable with the SLIGHT exception of multiverse.

wew

The better question is, why would anyone ever use
Plebian
DeadIan
or
"" + "" (Deborah + Ian)
in the first place.

Ubuntu LTS is more stable and updated than Debian Sid, just based on last time I tried Debian unstable on the desktop... Also, things like other user mentioned like PPAs (which are convenient for third party software)

I understand the use case for Debian stable as a server but I find it unsuitable for a desktop OS. Would rather not fight the OS to do productive things.

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?firstlist=ubuntu&secondlist=debian&firstversions=1&secondversions=1&resource=compare-packages&view=all&refresh=Refresh
2 newer in ubuntu vs fuckton newer in testing, which they take most packages from

>Iceweasel

Ubuntu security patches are no newer than anything in the unstable branch of Debian.

Ubuntu is no more compatible with PPAs than Debian and is just as likely to break using them as most OPAs are poorly maintained by novices.

Ubuntu more ubiquitous than Debian? Perhaps by novices who are uninterested in knowing what they're actually doing.

There is only one argument for using Ubuntu over debian and none of you plebs have touched upon it. I'll wait and see if anyone does, if not I'll mention it eventually.

>Ubuntu LTS is more ... updated than Debian Sid
now you're just fucking with me

What's the point of using a less-popular but still user-friendly distro for the point of feeling contrarian to users of a more popular distro?

If you want to be contrarian and elitist, why not go all the way and just install Gentoo or better yet, LFS?

Terry used ubuntu, anyone who fucks with Ubuntu is a cia fucking nigger.

fuck you op and suck my dick u fucking nigger from niger

Attached: nigger-cattle.jpg (632x364, 51K)

>Testing
Why would you use testing branch as a daily driver?

you wouldn't, you'd use sid
but ubuntu derives from testing I think?

Because of "Please insert disc for driver"

Ubuntu derives from unstable

>There is only one argument for using Ubuntu over debian and none of you plebs have touched upon it. I'll wait and see if anyone does, if not I'll mention it eventually.
More non-free software available because of Debian's Free Software Guidelines?

>*boots debian*
>oopsie there, your network adapter doesn't work, go download it from the internet you pleb

wow so revolutionary, it's like you're using windows from 10-15 years ago when you had to manually install drivers for your network

Ok, you're right re: Sid being more updated than Ubuntu LTS, but I'm still skeptical of how stable Sid is, based on the last time I used it (which was circa 2012-2013, probably a lot different now)

Ubuntu's repos seem like a nice balance between fresh and not so bleeding edge it'll break your system with every apt-get upgrade

I don't think that's something unique to Debian to be fair, I had to manually edit a config file with a bunch of esoteric hex values just to get a network adapter on a Lenovo P70 to work on Ubuntu (back when the P70 just came out)

Thanks for the reply, I did not not they were matching on security updates.

The PPAs I've been using are usually built against Ubuntu packages.

I'd agree on the novice part, I don't make money by using Linux, yet, have my own rackserver and am tinkering with Proxmox, Ansible and the such, good fun!
When searching for howtos I usually find more Ubuntu wise than Debian.

What's the one argument? Corporate backing and support?

Well if you’re new to Linux Debian is pretty daunting. Having to manually load non-free firmware even before installation, initial config (having to manually edit libtouch.conf to get the touchpad working and use a text editor to unfuck /etc/apt/apt.sources) and a million other little things. It’s easier to install and set up Arch than it is Debian imo.

That said once you’ve done it and sorted everything out it’s the comfiest distro and will be the end of your distro hopping journey.

Ubuntu is from a company that wants to provide a solid GNU distro, and profit from enterprise installs. Debian are idealistic faggots with obnoxious political views that make things less convenient for the user.

>don’t want ancient packages

Just use backports then. It’s officially maintained by Debian.

T. Debian stable user on kernel 4.19

>not loading the firmware onto another usb and loading both into ram

Debian isn’t for you. Also, there are ISO’s with non-free firmware

Oops, meant to reply to

Are there any other distros besides the Ubuntu/Debian family that have widespread third party software support?

Seems like a lot of Linux software is only built with apt in mind (spotify comes to mind)

Fedora maybe?

Attached: 1513291820085.jpg (806x991, 82K)

If you think apt is bad wait until you’re forced to deal with dnf

>how stable Sid is
if you get apt-listbugs and hold off upgrades until shit's fixed, you should be fine (with exception of upgrading to a fucked up package before anyone reports the bug though - but that didn't happen to me in a couple months of using sid, so I dunno if it's something that occurs that often)
It's definitely not as stable of course, but the thing about stable linux distros imho is that when it comes to many less popular packages for which bug fixes aren't backported as hastily as for the system and most used packages, "stable" implies buggy and featureless. At least that was my experience when I tried jessie a couple months before stretch came out - transmission and some audio player (cantata, I think) were bugging out, keepassx in stable repo didn't have support for kdbx, some other packages still had bugs fixed long time ago in newer versions. So after that experience I generally just stick to non-lts distros, not that I advise anyone to do the same, just blogging a bit here

You fags mention backports every fucking time. Backports is trash. Backports has nothing. Backports will still introduce dependency conflicts. Backports will not even provide the libs you need to build new local software.

Backports is useful if you’re not a brainlet

ubuntu has newer debian testing packages which are subjected to an additional amount of testing by the ubuntu devs. also it's a more complete distribution that requires less initial configuration and installation of packages. also non-free drivers are included by default, reducing the possibility of hardware devices not working out of the box, particularly network cards which is an annoying hassle.

the real question is, why would anyone use either of these distributions when fedora exists?

I'm so glad he's gone

Ubuntu has 10 year support vs 3-5 year with Debian?

install gentoo

This. Debian is good but it’s not a baby distro

Was running ubuntu in VM on a debian host to serve plex streams. No end of unknown crashes and weird behaviour. I deleted the ubuntu vm and installed plex on a new debian vm. Have had 0 issues in over a year.

I don't mind ubuntu, server version + xfce is okay on a workstation desu.

Finally, in answer to your question, there is no real reason other than a friendlier UI, friendlier message board / support group, a decent company developing it (these guys could make a serious run at redhat), it's just easier for newbs to Linux to jump onto the penguin OS.

I hope this answered your question.

>why would anyone use either of these distributions when fedora exists?
it has a cringeworthy name

If you want out of box driver support for devices that usually are a pain with *NIX such as color laser printers using CUPS or other similar devices, go with Ubuntu.

If you want to eventually move to Debian, try out Ubuntu.

There's nothing a well maintained Debian Unstable box can't do that Ubuntu can but there are plenty of things Debian unstable can do that Ubuntu can't.

The whole thing about Debian packages being old really is just a meme, the unstable branch is bleeding edge, moreso than Ubuntu.

The notion that unstable is buggy is also a meme; in Debian land unstable just means constantly changing.

Ubuntu repos are derived from Debian unstable. Once you're comfy with Ubuntu there is no reason to fear Debian unstable.

I don't want to be one of those guys who knocks ppl for using Ubuntu I think it's great, just Debian pure is definitely a much more sleek and raw experience.

based and redpilled

A
FUCKING
SWIRL

>The notion that unstable is buggy is also a meme; in Debian land unstable just means constantly changing.
stop lying, shit breaks constantly, last thing was the whole sound stack for me lmfao.
you get really new packages with ubuntu, not as new as debian but they're stable, there is no debian equivalent.

I bought a shit wifi adapter (WN722N v3) and the monitor enabled driver only compiles on Debian Linux 4.9

Do not use external repos, retard.

Debian for my server Ubuntu for my gaming PC
Get on my level nerds

>WN722N v3
TP-Link needs to be rounded up and shot
They do this all the time
1. Release great WiFi adapter with perfect GNU/Linux compatibility, like the WN722N v1
2. Accumulate reputation for a few years
3. Replace chipset with proprietary garbage to save $0.10 on production cost
4. Quietly change the "revision" that's generally not advertised in stores
TP-Link does this all the time

Yeah fuck them in the ass. I just read in a few articles that it had the Atheros chipset, read through a few reviews from the seller before buying. And then I read this shit about V2 using Realtek. Good thing they are cheap but god, they are one of the few that have a detachable antenna to fuck it that bad

Consider buying used on eBay

WN722N v1 is nearly perfect indeed. I've have two in use 24/7 for 5 years, never a problem with various Linux distros including OpenWRT. Never a problem.

Why use Debian when Devuan exists?

Attached: 3c5742b544acbb800d680c70aac2ac34646bcdc7.png (1024x1024, 1.07M)

But dnf is better than apt in literally every way.

Because I use something better.

Attached: gentoo.png (512x512, 104K)

Because I want a functioning init system and not a massive pile of stupid shell scripts

Ubuntu worked out of the box for me. Debian wouldn't work with my dual monitors, the animations felt laggy, it came with a lot of bloat as well. While I was install Ubuntu everything just worked. My dual monitors worked, the animations weren't laggy, the icons felt more modern, etc. A lot of what I am complaining about could be fixed of course, but why bother when there's something that just werks. Also while installing Ubuntu I had the option to uninstall everything that came prepackaged and to just keep the basic system utilities and a web browser, maybe I missed that during by Debian installation.

But user, init freedom is true freedom in line with the ganoo philosophy. Why use an NSA development nonfree init system like sunnyD?
Also works on my machine

Attached: 1828970d8c7827a79a62e32a9cd77d00c78e5a00.jpg (900x1273, 199K)

;_;

A true hero

>not realizing you can use runit

Yikes he doesnt know

Only on Void.

Because it's community isn't comprised entirely of deluded, smug, pricks.Debian users,in general,tend to be some of the most punchable people in Linux.

>t. Archtoddler

n-no homo !

Obligatory shilling for Devuan. It's contemporary Debian just without systemd; separate repositores download packages without systemd as well. So long as you're openbox master race and don't use GNOME, it's dead simple to migrate from Stretch to the current ver of Devuan, ASCII.

What is your first language? I can tell it isn't English

>Debian isn’t for you.
you're damn right, because not providing at least network adapters support is trash
i don't even care about audio,video,usb drivers, but network usability?
Imagine you only have to work with a debian image from your USB stick for people that don't keep mother-fucking linux drivers on CDs, what do you do?Write the drivers yourself?

Just admit it's retarded for home-usage or a daily driver, i personally know people that have literally decades of experience with debian and i fully agree with debian mindset, but it's just not for people that have to get work done, at least not fast.
It's the best stable linux distro as it's the best one to fork and make an actual usable OS.

The terminal-illiterates are out in full force today. Hell, if you need a GUI to do it then just use NetworkManager or WICD.

>Also, there are ISO’s with non-free firmware
And the installer is possibly one of the most error prone pieces of shit I've ever experienced. Ever try the early Antergos installer (calamares)? It's as bad as that.

>download the debian installer than only includes free software
>try to use it on a computer with hardware that requires nonfree firmware
>wtf debian sucks

>>wtf debian sucks
read again what i've said and maybe you'll get it the second time

Gentoo
Norwegian, and that's what Google translate gave me.

read again

Why would anyone use a shit distro like Debian when Gentoo exists?

Why would anyone use a shit distro like Gentoo when Debian exists?

read again

>Archtoddler with more autism and time-wasting
figures

I've used Arch too. It's pretty good and it is much faster to install. You seem to carry the anger of a Debian user. Are you an American with leftist
political views? You all seem rather bitter lately. Perhaps if you would stop creating boogeymen, your rage would subside.

No he's just an insecure Debian user. We all know there isn't any logical reason to use Debian over Ubuntu they just don't went to be seen as plebs. Nothing more pathetic than that.

Because if I had to leave Ubuntu for more freedom I would simply embrace Trisquel and call it a day

Spiral fag reeeeeeee

Retard, that iso you used has only free software. You don't need an additional USB for the drivers with the firmware iso. On every mirror page it says that if you need firmware you use those images instead.

Being better than apt isn't that hard. Dnf is still shit

no u