/nsg/ - Netsec general

/netsec/ is dedicated to everything about computer security, networks, exploits, reverse engineering, malware research, etc

What are you learning, /netsec/?

>Learning
cybrary.it/
n0where.net/
offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed
resources.infosecinstitute.com/
windowsecurity.com/articles-tutorials/
sans.org/reading-room/
allitebooks.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
learncodethehardway.org/c/
corelan.be/index.php/articles/
opensecuritytraining.info/Training.html
blackhat.com/html/archives.html
securitytube.net/
opensecuritytraining.info/Welcome.html
beginners.re/
phrack.org/
phrack.org/archives/issues/49/14.txt -- Smashing The Stack For Fun And Profit
howto.hackallthethings.com/
pastebin.com/raw/cRYvK4jb -- Phineas Phisher Gamma
pastebin.com/raw/0SNSvyjJ -- Phineas Phisher HackingTeam
pastebin.com/pm1WLXQj -- AnonSec OpNasaDrones
archive.org/stream/pdfy-rJnW-pPgiHK61dok/Black Hat Python, Python Programming for Hackers_djvu.txt
github.com/rpisec/mbe
reverse engineering
microcorruption.com/
github.com/dennis714/RE-for-beginners

>News/CVE releases
threatpost.com/
deepdotweb.com/
packetstormsecurity.com/
cvedetails.com/
routerpwn.com/
exploit-db.com/
rapid7.com/db/
0day.today/

>CTF/Wargames
overthewire.org/wargames/
pentesterlab.com/
itsecgames.com/
exploit-exercises.com/
enigmagroup.org/
smashthestack.org/
3564020356.org/
hackthissite.org/
hackertest.net/
0x0539.net/
vulnhub.com

Attached: 1541127962347.jpg (250x220, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
vulnhub.com/
hackthebox.eu/
kali.org/
metasploit.com/
abatchy.com/2017/03/how-to-prepare-for-pwkoscp-noob
s3ctur.wordpress.com/2017/06/19/breaking-into-infosec-a-beginners-curriculum/
youtube.com/channel/UCa6eh7gCkpPo5XXUDfygQQA
eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/
offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/
discord.gg/3Y7Mr52
riot.im/app/#/group/ hmg:matrix.org
anonops.com/
www1.salary.com/CA/San-Francisco/Software-Engineer-I-Salary.html
amazon.com/Digital-Design-Computer-Architecture-Harris/dp/0123944244/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailored_Access_Operations
theverge.com/2013/12/29/5253226/nsa-cia-fbi-laptop-usb-plant-spy
theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/nsa-intercepts-laptops-purchased-online-install-malware/356548/
spiegel.de/international/world/the-nsa-uses-powerful-toolbox-in-effort-to-spy-on-global-networks-a-940969.html
forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/12/29/report-nsa-intercepting-laptops-ordered-online-installing-spyware/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how do I stop pajeet from stealing my ip

If there exists a web service made for server-side python execution, which obviously has the correct permissions in place like not letting you import os and path transverse to root or anything, but it does however allow server-side C execution through Python scripts, how likely is it that we've got something to play with here?

I'm learning the fundamentals of networking and doing a shit job at it because I'm really lazy.

bump of life

This is back? Wasn't the security general "merged" with the cyb one? Nice, anyway

Do you guys think the linuxacadamy 300 shekels offer is worth it?

Is this the hackerman general or the capture the flag general?

it's probably sandbox'd. but if not, you could generate a C privilege escalation exploit and then run it. otherwise, the C you execute will have the same privileges as the python you execute

Got some interviews in the next week for some junior SOC positions. What questions to expect?

Dumb question but what do you mean by sandboxed? As in in a VM or something? Also surely even with limited permissions you still gave wriggle room with something as low level as C, I'd imagine at least. I'm still in the process of learning the language let alone creating exploits with it

yes, as in a VM. you wouldn't create an exploit, you would find one on exploitdb, and write the text to a file in python and then compile it from python. it doesn't matter how low level you go, unless you leverage an exploit to elevate your privilege, you won't be able to do anything you're not allowed to do, because all programs you run will run with your privilege unless they have a setuid bit. not sure about windows

is libreboot a meme?

Attached: librebootJpg.jpg (1200x1200, 31K)

Hax DEH Gibson

>is trannyboot a meme?

It's in the name friendo.

indian youtube tutorials

I went from ~7 second bios to 3 second bios. It's a bitch do modify (have to reflash all changes, but it works internally) but other than that, I'm happy.

Get shodan, it was/is on sale. 5$ instead of 49.

Yeah think it died. I saved the text of
>>/cyb/ + >>/sec/

Going to make a new thread at some point soon.

yes

>>/hmg/ died unfortunately. If I can find a way to recover the copypasta I might try and get it going. It was a neat little general though.

I saved the copypasta so if >>/nsg/ dies we can bring it back.

how do i stop brad from hacking my ip

I recommend Carrier on htb, learning bgp was great fun.

give me research topics for my os security and mobile network security classes

Anomaly detection.

bump

Bumpity bump on page 10

Whats a few options for a decent wifi dongle that can be used with wireshark. So monitor/promiscuous mode?

Windows 10/Kali compatible?

>Windows 10
Yeet yourself, son

answer the question you dotard

i was the one who first merged cyb and sec. do we need to merge more?

Hackthebox.eu is a nice CTF too, should add it to the OP.

>allows server side C execution
FFI is your friend, depending on the OS you can have much fun depending on privileges.
But even without Admin/root you can get jucy info

No u

In /hmg/ we discuss pentesting, hardware hacking, exploits, and general being a hackerman.

- CTFs and competitive events belongs in /ctf/ -

Resources:

VMs
>easy beginner bullshit

vulnhub.com/
>prebroken images to work on.

hackthebox.eu/
>super secret club

Tools:
kali.org/
>meme dragon distro but it just werks

metasploit.com/
>scriptkiddie starting point and swiss army knife

Tutorials/Guides:
>From zero to OSCP-hero rough outline, and how to infosec.

>IppSec, video guides for retired HTB VMs.

Certs:
>CEH, only looks good a resume to non-technical in HR

offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/
>OSCP, the big dick swinging exam, 24 hours to own 5 machines and a further 24 hours to write up a report detailing your methods.

*UNAFFILIATED TRASH - AS LULZEC TAUGHT US - TRUST NO ONE!*
Community:
IRC: #Jow Forumssec @ rizon.net
Discord: discord.gg/3Y7Mr52
Matrix/Riot: riot.im/app/#/group/ hmg:matrix.org
anonops.com/

I'm a reverse engineer/vulnerability researcher. If anyone has any questions about that career field feel free to ask.

I use Kali linux guyz.

die

bump

yes, what's the point of trying to create a "secure" UEFI when all intel processors have 30+ hardware security vulnerabilities that bypass Libreboot?

How competitive is the field outside murrica? Also, how's the pay, was it hard to find a job?

I don't know about the job market outside America, sorry. It was not hard to find a job at all, I ended up turning down a bunch, and the pay is great for an entry level position ($98k).

There is literally nothing wrong with Kali Linux and the only people who complain about it are contrarians who don't want to be seen as "cringe"

Any distro is cringe if you don't have a cute anime wallpaper

Haven't seen one of these threads in a while, but they're the best on Jow Forums. In /hmg/ we discuss pentesting, hardware hacking, exploits, and general being a hackerman.

Resources:

VMs
>easy beginner bullshit

vulnhub.com/

hackthebox.eu/
>super secret club

Tools:
kali.org/

metasploit.com/

Tutorials/Guides:

Certs:

>OSCP, the big dick swinging exam, 24 hours to own 5 machines and a further 24 hours to write up a report detailing your methods.

Community:
anonops.com/

I highly recommend MicroCorruption CTF to anyone interested in RE. It's very fun.

>you can't beat a thief who has a lockpicking gun so better just leave the door wide open

$98k where? in san fran that's nothing

I don't believe you. Seems like it's at the top range of entry level software engineer job there: www1.salary.com/CA/San-Francisco/Software-Engineer-I-Salary.html

It's in Virginia. I got about half a dozen offers from $75k up to $98k. The cost of living is high around DC but drops a lot as you get out to say, Centreville or Manassas.

noice, i'm planning on getting a job in charlotte nc. i read on linkedin that it's the highest paying city for cybersecurity after accomodating for cost of living

what is your edu level/certs look like?
i'm trying to get into the field myself

"Below the poverty line. Nearly two thirds of American families of four live on less than San Francisco's "low-income" threshold of $117,400. " -- BBC news

So a jr dev can't support a family of 4 in San Francisco, seems about right to me.

not only that, you are below the low-income threshold. and good luck commuting. go do a little research about the traffic situation, even as early as 5am.

Someone suggest me some interesting, fun to read CCNA Book. Wendell Odom's book is one of the dry and boring book Ive ever read. Stopped after 3rd chapter.

If you can get a clearance (not a felon, not a heroin addict, not a gambling addict) I would also apply for stuff in VA. There are a lot of cybersecurity customers here.

BS in CS, and Sec+. I would say the degree is the most important just to get you past HR people. OSCP opens a lot of doors too if you can afford it and dedicate the time to it. Even if you fail the test you will have learned enough to make the cost worth it. SANS certs are also very good.

i already have a top secret clearance but idk. i applied to fire eye in VA but i kind of want to stay in NC. it'd be a hassle juggling rent. i was super pumped about DOD stuff but my excitement has quelled recently as there's few jobs in NC. probably just going to work for schlomoberg at the banks

if i had OSCP and a high level in government recomendation, like someone who handles TS/C shit on a daily basis, could i skirt by without the college?
hardest part would be the recomendation, i grabbed the guy's wife's ass and he's sore af about it

Makes sense. Keep in mind places like Quantico, they are looking for TS/SCIs too and they are far enough from DC that the rents are quite low.

It's an iffy proposition for government/contract work. Knowing your shit and having OSCP could carry you through the interview, but in my experience around here, the degree gets you into the interview. Nobody cares about recommendations or references, or even *where* you went to school, as long as you have the degree so they can justify your bona fides to the customer.

/hmg/
In /hmg/ we discuss pentesting, hardware hacking, exploits, and general being a hackerman.

Resources:

VMs
>easy beginner bullshit

vulnhub.com/

hackthebox.eu/
>super secret club

Tools:
kali.org/

metasploit.com/

Tutorials/Guides:

Certs:

Community:
anonops.com/

>If you can get a clearance
Is it possible to get a clearance as a Canadian-American? Just curious, I work in the states and have a dual citizenship. I don't really want to renounce though and I heard that's the only way.

i'm confident my friends in the gov can come through to get me that interview
networking!

also i now finally have kali on my laptop, so i can finally start to stretch my legs. no more fucking around with virtual machines, it's time to get serious. buckle down, take my addy, and focus on this shit, get ready to take the OSCP

any good study guides for it? I have Kali Linux Revealed rn, but i can download more

Yeah, I am pretty sure you'd have to give up your Canadian citizenship.

There's nothing wrong with using virtual machines. There are actually no downsides for using Kali on a VM as far as I know.

As for OSCP, you'll get an hour or so of videos and a 300~ page guide when you sign up. Beyond what is covered in that material, you will have to do a lot of independent research in a few areas. Privesc comes to mind as something essential on the labs but which barely gets any mention in the guide. There aren't any books on privesc, you will have to read through a bunch of online guides and build your own game plans. To get an RE job you'll have to also dive pretty deep into computer architecture. I recommend a college-level computer architecture textbook to start, something like this amazon.com/Digital-Design-Computer-Architecture-Harris/dp/0123944244/

>giving up canadian citizenship
is that really even a downside?

also thanks user, i'll admit i went with kali so it would be easier to do things, and i'm not super comfortable with kali VM's and i'll have 2 laptops soon.

any downloads or books that fell off the back of a torrent you could throw me, or must i venture into this wilderness alone? i want to be as informed as possible before i sign up for the course. Recovering from an injury RN before i return to full time work

You can google and find your own book recommendations (actually you can find everything you need on various tutorials and websites), but here are some general tips: make sure you are comfortable with the Linux command line, Bash scripting, and the fundamentals of the TCP/IP suite. Learn Linux and Windows access control schemes. Learn basic assembly, how stack memory works, what linkers and libraries do. Get comfortable with tools like Wireshark/TCPdump, Metasploit, Nmap, netcat, (i)cacls, ps, grep, and a debugger of your choice.

Oh and do a lot of Hackthebox/vulnhub practice VMs. Watch and read walk throughs when you get stuck.

i'm not sure how much networking plays a role in gov't jobs. it might, but i wouldn't count on it

how familiar should i be with hacking mac/osx/ios? or is most serious shit along the lines of windows/linux? What about android and hacking on ARM architecture?

also i'm guessing i should stop watching the defcon infotainment and focus more on the dry boring lectures?

Networking is a powerful tool.
Imagine waking up and seeing things you suggested implemented at a national and international level. Knowing the news months ahead of the journalists because you simply remember the subject talking about it with you to get your advice because for some fucking reason they think your barely educated ass is worth being a bouncing board for their international geopolitical ideas. Seeing people die and survive because you pushed one way or the other.

BTW curious, if you were a politician who got caught doing something you shouldn't have and you had digital evidence, what would you do?

yeah, but if you don't meet HR's requirements, there may be nothing they can do because of the law

>HR

yes,that is actually my biggest fear. Worst case i'll take a pay cut to work for people more privately.

Still, the last question? I'm curious to how someone with TS/CSI would answer VS the one i gave that they went with. I never really know what answer is "optimal", so i like getting as many alternate opinions as possible.

this?
>BTW curious, if you were a politician who got caught doing something you shouldn't have and you had digital evidence, what would you do?
the answer is follow the law

Sometimes things aren't so clear. Sometimes following the law can look bad. For example and unrelated, flirting with a 17 year old girl in a state where the AOC Is 16.

Anyway, my answer was to come clean. Took the wind out of the sails of a journalist who was working to get the scoop. Was hilarious when i met said journalist later and had to giggle to myself that i was the cause of his suffering.
Twas a faggot anyway

Nothing like seeing Jow Forums talk about your work and adding to the memes that are frequently spread. Like being an artist seeing your shit in famous galleries.

As for the answer, if you want to be an "Honest" Politican, i figured the only way to do so from that point would be to come clean, dump everything and turn yourself metaphorically in. Admitting weakness is the most counterintuitive thing to do, and once done, disarms the accusations against you from what they would have been if they tried to hide them.

Oh, and Mac/OSX/IOS? How important are they to know?

The real question is, if you're gonna be doing something that would move the government against you

Why not pay cash for a local used thinkpad

>order laptop over ebay a week ago
>supposed to be delivered today
>last tracking status: "In Transit to Next Facility"

So what are the chances it went to an NSA Tailored Access Operations facility?

I might have pissed off someone with shady connections, including NSA, at the last place I worked at.

Attached: 1c[2].jpg (850x637, 104K)

are you mentally ill? you come across as crazy. i have no idea what you're talking about. but no, i wouldn't prioritize mac OS, i would just learn linux unless you have nothing else to learn about
the NSA isn't a place where you slip someone a $20 and get someone's packages intercepted. if someone is "shady", they're not going to be working at the NSA, and the usage of their capabilities is subject to monitor and oversight

The guy I've pissed off certainly has access to more than $20. I'm sure he could easily afford the few extra zeroes needed to compromise someone, and I'm sure the NSA bureaucracy is big enough that an illegitimate "suspect" like me would be lost.

>your government would never do anything to hurt you or act unethically
>just trust them, goy...I mean guy

Attached: D2D869B9-1412-4610-8613-109B82AD89FA.png (343x400, 71K)

if you're a US citizen, he would probably be better off paying someone off at the FBI, not the NSA

They have a TAO-like program too?

tell me what you think TAO does

>have shipments rerouted to them
>carefully open package
>implant spy hardware and software onto electronic devices
>carefully repackage goods
>send to intended receiver

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailored_Access_Operations
theverge.com/2013/12/29/5253226/nsa-cia-fbi-laptop-usb-plant-spy
theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/nsa-intercepts-laptops-purchased-online-install-malware/356548/
spiegel.de/international/world/the-nsa-uses-powerful-toolbox-in-effort-to-spy-on-global-networks-a-940969.html
forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/12/29/report-nsa-intercepting-laptops-ordered-online-installing-spyware/

from wikipedia: "TAO identifies, monitors, infiltrates, and gathers intelligence on computer systems being used by entities foreign to the United States.[4][5][6][7]"
are you a foreign entity?

I'm not. But would the FBI have something similar for US citizens? Common sense seems to indicate "yes", but I haven't heard of such capabilities. It's also not too much of a stretch to think that the FBi and NSA could share workshops and tech.

yeah i'm certain the FBI has an equivalent. just be aware the real intelligence landscape isn't like how Jow Forums thinks it is

How so?

end of conversation, ivan

For the love of fucking god, they were merged two years ago, and UNMERGED almost 18 months ago.

Attached: download.jpg (192x204, 5K)

is that really how long it's been? where has the time gone

I've been reading practical malware analysis for quite a while now, still stuck on chapter 6 - detecting hll instructions in assembly output, unfortunately I do not progress too quickly, mostly because of the repetitiveness of malware and absolute lack of lack of creativity among malware creators (I've got access exclusively to virusshare and almost all positions there are some poorly obfuscated excel macros or javascript downloaders)...

I use the AWUS036NH for Linux. Works with OS X too.
If you want a Windows-compatible monitor-mode dongle you will need the npcap library. I have successfully used the AWUS036NHA with monitor mode on Windows, however it is incapable of injection, only monitor mode. Also doesn't work with OS X since there are no native AR9271 drivers.

Attached: windows monitor mode 2.5.png (952x183, 14K)

Anyone have any experience with hacking DECT?

How accurate is this

Attached: 1542191176021.png (795x6526, 1011K)

What the heck is a "Master Hacker"?
I mean, overall it does a good job of listing the things that are commonly exploited but nobody is going to master all those things, cryptography alone could take you a whole life to master and to be able to find new vulnerabilities for strong crypto, just like becoming a master in reverse engineering would take a bunch of time too.
I think you only really need 15,16 and 17, because once you have those the rest of the skillset you need to advance will become obvious. It really depends on what you want to focus.

Reading this cover to cover. Seems like a good resource.

Attached: 516 hGptmNL._SX376_BO1 204 203 200_.jpg (378x499, 38K)

Also should I just use Linux full-time for learning purposes?

what kind of certificate should i get if im not interested in proprietary non free shit?

How do I send my IP to cute traps in my local area?

>go ahead and [...]