What do

Ok so, next year i go off to college and im looking into computers to get. Also, I wanted to be able to play games on whatever I get. I was originally thinking about getting a gaming laptop, but I know the better deal for gaming is to get a desktop. My cousin reccomended that i get the desktop and later on get a chromebook or ipad with a keyboard instead. I have a price range of about $1400-$1500, and since its black friday, I dont know if i should pounce on one of the gaming laptop/ tower deals. Any input would really help, thanks.

Attached: 863C0088-1AB7-43F9-AADF-6721CD84D855.png (750x1334, 314K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154900&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL112318&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL112318-_-EMC-112318-Index-_-GamingLaptops-_-34154900-S1B&ignorebbr=1
notebookreview.com/howto/how-to-upgrade-your-notebook-graphics-card-using-diy-vidock/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck off and build your own you pussy

X220 refurbished . Put 16gb or ram and 2 ssd. Spend the rest on pot and bitches (or fuckbois)

you'll get bullied if you have a gaymen laptop so weather it's good purchase or not depends on how much you enjoy small spaces like lockers. Otherwise get an Dell business laptop and buy an Xbox until you live in an apartment where you can build a PC. Thank me later.

and an ips screen asap, take care of your sight guys

X220 has ips by default

mb then

cheap chinkpad and a desktop, you won't be gaymen when you're outside your living space anyways.
you'll get used to the sweet trackpoint and get sick street credz from ugly dork nerds and girls won't mind because chinkpads look utilitarian.
you'll also be happy that you built a desktop because gaming laptops are built to break after a year or two depending on how much you carry it with you, oh and also weight.

what to use for media then, watching a movie in bed on a quality screen is something i cant give up

X220 refurbished
A used Alienware alpha for your dorm

And you are ready

I actually own a >e470 and installed a full hd ips panel on it and calibrated the colors, it currently has the best screen I've ever owned and I own shitton of panels and laptops, beats the crap out of my retina macbook and proffesional grade IPS monitor when it comes to contrasts and darks, perfect for watching movies and anime.
the problem with the e470 is that it's an economy grade thinkpad and doesn't have the same build quality as the T and X series has and is really hard to find for cheap, but I haven't found a better panel for any of the other chinkpads I own which makes it really nice if you do camera work.
I wouldn't recommend it though, if you're also in need of money for a desktop, do what this man says except build your own HD is nice but 1366x768 is completely fine as the screen is so small

I have 1000-1500 to play with, I just sold my xps cause it had neither the strenght nor mobility and was such an overpriced media laptop, I miss it tho and hope I could get my hands on some older x1c that would fit the bill ideally and leave some for the desktop build too.
Thanks for your post btw

t. High school graduate

Honestly, just get a gaming laptop.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154900&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL112318&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL112318-_-EMC-112318-Index-_-GamingLaptops-_-34154900-S1B&ignorebbr=1
This is pretty good for gayming. If you want to look at a pretty screen too, you can just get an IPS/VA monitor to hook it up too.
Honestly, laptop hardware has come a really long way, and it's pretty indistinguishable from a desktop at similar specs

I will say this- the only reason why you should ever get a desktop is if you want to dump excessive performance in a stationary box. I have a laptop with a skylake i7 and GTX 1070 (not Max Q), but I also have a desktop with a Ryzen 8 core, dual GTX 1080s, 32gb ram, and 16tb storage with 4 different screens attached to it.
A gaming desktop is a meme at this point. Laptops are perfect for your needs, since you're off to college, just don't use the trackpad

Attached: Filthy Casuals.jpg (500x517, 53K)

Get a tablet then

Bruh
Chicks gather all over me to see me on my gaming laptop playing Battlefield. Maybe it's because no one wants to see some loser playing Europa Universalis 4 on a meme Dell

get a ASUS ROG laptop mine lasted all 5 years I failed to graduate

Thinkpad x1 extreme, there is no other option worth mentioning

Get an above mid level, sort of good laptop that can be resold later, eventually you will need a new laptop, fuck moore's law, it's over, specs are basicly the same for the last 4 years.
But roll something with a CD tray, or double storage capability, ssd+hdd combo is superior

CD tray = optical drive

>I have a price range of about $1400-$1500
You can get a Chromebook and then have $1200 to build an insanely good gaming rig. You don't want to carry a gaming laptop around. They run stupid hot, are heavy, and are loud as hell. I've seen classmates with gaming laptops and it's always obnoxious. Buy an inexpensive laptop, use it for homework/whatever in class, and have a nice setup.

Im rolling with an X1 Carbon myself, big Thinkpad fanboy. The X1 extreme is awesome! Still I suggest looking at an Dell XPS 15 (will have less gfx power for vidya, yet is ranked higher in some categories [I think notebookreviews.com had a good review])

bullying i agree with, i "gave shit" to my friends with rog/alienmeme etc gaymer laptops all the time, still do

get an xbone/ps4 for gayming with your friends unless youre asocial after moving in with your roommate, chances are he'll have one so you can just buy your own games etc for a while if you want

i had a laptop and a ps4 my freshman year, built a desktop for my sophomore (now a junior), and i like it because if i need to take notes in class i have the laptop that's basically a "thin client", got the ps4 for when the boys come thru and my computer if it's break and i want to sperg on my own

>Wants a powerful computer
>Gets a gaming laptop
Just build your own machine, it'll be easier on your wallet, you'll be able to upgrade it easier, and it will last you much longer assuming you use it right.

Chromebooks are SHIT, if you get a laptop at all just get a cheap one that runs windows.

Just use this for your dorm notebookreview.com/howto/how-to-upgrade-your-notebook-graphics-card-using-diy-vidock/

This but buy an old ThinkPad for the same price

don't buy a gaming laptop, they will break if you use it for college use and the horrible battery life will make you want to kill yourself.
build a desktop AND get a cheap thinkpad, just having access and getting used to a trackpoint will make you happy.