Backing data up

I just had a hard drive fail on me and I lost all my shit.

Say I have an 8tb hard drive. Am I supposed to buy ANOTHER 8tb hard drive for backup?

Do hard drives which have data on them but aren't in constant use fail much more slowly than ones which are used often?

Attached: wd.jpg (350x350, 10K)

In general, what's the best way to store data long term? Is cloud storage safe for pirated movies?

bump

real niggas use magnetic tape data storage

>Say I have an 8tb hard drive. Am I supposed to buy ANOTHER 8tb hard drive for backup?
Yes you retard. Or just backup essential data only like media and documents since programs don't have to be reinstalled

Why would you need to back up pirated movies? Just pirate them again.

I never got the whole "deep copy of everything on my computer" approach to backing up. The sum of all my personal projects, photos, receipts, documents, correspondences, and writings fit easily into a 5 GB drive encrypted through cppcryptfs and synced redundantly across 3 different cloud services and 2 separate local copies.

And sure I have a weak local "backup" of all my music and some of my harder-to-find movies/videos because it would be a pain to gather again, but at the end of the day the only thing I care about is the list of them.

If you're an archivist of rare data or you have huge project files because you work in film processing or some shit, then I get it, but do YOU really need to back up all 8TB of things on your computer?

I love hoarding data.

>In general, what's the best way to store data long term?
LTO tapes.

>mfw 15 years of data is still less than 100GB

I love having so little that basically everything is a backup medium.

tape storage is best, old harddrives also work

zip it twice and use an encryption on one to keep them from scanning

>Say I have an 8tb hard drive. Am I supposed to buy ANOTHER 8tb hard drive for backup?
rule 1,2,3 of backup.
1 Original.
1 Backup on site.
1 Backup off site.

God I must be a data hoarder then.
>over 2 tb of personal crap, none of it my music or movies that take up more.

Just divide up your data into:

>Critical files
Like a passwords file

>Wouldn't want to lose
Tax documents, things that can't be pirated or streamed

>Can redownload but it is a pain
Battlestar Galactica Complete Series HD

Doing it this way makes it much easier to come up with a backup plan. Especially when most of your space is taken by things like Battlestar.

A couple hundred Gigs, I can see, but what's taking up 2 TB? Weeks and weeks worth of home videos? 16000x8000 high definition textures? Or just bloated-as-fuck RTF files and XLS data dumps?

Tons of pictures, I take pictures of the places I visit, projects I'm either working on or have put on the back burner, a backup folder I had for a while and refuse to clean up but that folder only like 300gb, a few home videos, old ISOs that I should get rid of, some data scraping I did that could honestly go.
> Or just bloated-as-fuck RTF files and XLS data dumps?
Those go on another drive and I'm usually good about cleaning them.

Cloud storage you morons

so data aint shit

once you are ready, you will lose that info, so more, newer knowledge will come around.

>youre like a cup

I used to feel like you, then I had a drive with that "nonessential" stuff die without warning. It's not critical but it still sucks. Just because you could (in theory) redownload any one thing from your collection doesn't mean you can ever really get it back. The value is the whole thing, the list of stuff you found valuable, and the effort you took to find it all.

Granted TV series probably aren't worth it, but still.

The most important thing is to store your data off site. You can pay $100 and do this with "the cloud" or just leave an external HD at a friends/relative's house with your backup. Of course, you'll have to either refresh the data on the backup regularly.

>Just pirate them again.
Usually the same sources aren't around the second time

Foreign movies and TV shows are hard to get. It's best to have them saved.

Yes