/hsg/ - Home Server General

Raspberry Pi Edition

Previous thread was locked and archived.

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why, then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: RASP_03_01.png (2953x1645, 1.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-8o8S2n05Bk
github.com/Karasiq/nanoboard
flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAA3N4SP2188
windowscentral.com/terramaster-f4-220-review
macworld.com/article/3220466/storage/terramaster-f2-420-nas-review.html
github.com/debauchee/barrier
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for the ROCK64

>Raspberry
>NAS
Don't do that.
I used to have a 2 TB WB my Passport plugged to the Pi as a shared storage, but except for Transmission I suffered big time from the 100mbs bottleneck. If it's not gigabit speed then you're just wasting your time. Even with a gigabit to usb 3.0 adapter it was still shit.
My actual setup :
>a real 2-bay NAS with two HGST, 4 TB each, running transmission, readydlna, logitechmediaserver and home samba/nfs shares
>Rpi running pihole, duckdns, a startpage, Nextcloud (actual storage is a share from the NAS), smashing dashboard and a weather dashboard (pic). used to have a printer attached to it (cups server) and a usb dac for squeezelite.

Attached: 20181124_010627.jpg (2880x2160, 1.61M)

>images suddenly rotates.
>thanks floens

Attached: 20181124_012131.jpg (1292x1135, 735K)

>being this new to Jow Forums
4chan strips EXIF data from images when uploaded. This includes the orientation tag, which is often used to set image rotation rather than saving the captured image in a particular orientation.
Depending the method Jow Forums uses they could auto-rotate when doing so, but that would also be more computation and could slow down the process.
For best results, strip and rotate everything before you upload.

>Jow Forums strips EXIF data from images when uploaded.
Bruh, this 4channel now.

No, it has been more than a day - we're already back to abbreviating it again.

Raspi my ass. Real men have real racks. BIG RACKS. Like mine.

In all seriousness, just added another zpool of 4x 10TB WDReds (ty based Bestbuy easystores). 48T usable storage now. Feels good.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 6.37.50 PM.png (336x778, 505K)

It happened within a few hours. Whatcha talking about, bruh?

Accepted. I'm just part of the slow ones, but at least makes me feel a bit better.

That's me lol. It's called irony. I don't actually speak like that.

Attached: you_a_dummy_kek.jpg (680x599, 147K)

youtu.be/-8o8S2n05Bk

Just preordered a droid h2, how did I do?

Attached: ODROID-H2_Main1.jpg (600x393, 168K)

I've been here since 2006 smartass.
>removing the fucking 90° tag
This simple shit should be fixed when you upload an image using clover or 4chanx.
There's no way to strip the EXIF of a goddamn picture without making it lossy as shit, unless you wanna go through third party crapware and that completely defeats the purpose of uploading an image on the fucking go.

Attached: 1536994287794.jpg (540x540, 44K)

Are the WD easystores from Best Buy worth it to shuck? Ive heard on the 8tb models you sometimes have to mod your psu or change something on the drive SATA connector

Take a seat over there, user. Do you know what metadata is?

Does look bretty good user. What are you going to use it for?

You might have to tape over the 3.3V pin if you have an ancient ass backplane. Regardless, they are 10/10 would shuck again. Get the 10TB though, extra density so worth the extra $60

We're abbreviating it? Man this new 4ch isn't too bad. Nice to be free of those Jow Forumsfags

hello raspberry pi general, while you have been trying to justify your garbage 'servers', i have been upgrading. bought myself a new toy

Attached: 20181017_172256.jpg (1500x843, 295K)

I added 4 more VMs to my 16 core 80GB ram ESXI host today. How you doing tonight user? Lets make this enterprise hardware general.

>PA-220
In to the trash it goes

Was gonna try it as a beefed up pfsense/dpi box. Got realtek nics though, we'll see how that goes.

If that fails might replace it as my media pc, now sure how it will handle 1080p plex strims either. £100,cant go wrong.

>There's no way to strip the EXIF of a goddamn picture without making it lossy as shit, unless you wanna go through third party crapware and that completely defeats the purpose of uploading an image on the fucking go.
You're fucking retarded.
>This simple shit should be fixed when you upload an image using clover or 4chanx.
It could be. Move the image manipulation to the client instead of the servers.

Has anyone ever successfully had a full incremental backup on server for systems running with full disk encryption of any sort? All of the ideas I can think of would end up with unencrypted copies of all your data on the server. I suppose the server itself can be encrypted but it still seems silly.

I have a SFTP server over 2.4 GHz
I consider suicide daily and suffer with it because $10 orangepi lite

btrfs or xfs

what's a good RAID enclosure?

>10 TB easystores

Based. Got 3 myself and am waiting on a 4 bay NAS to put them in. What kind of RAID should I set up, if any?

I intend to have an external backup in cold storage on top of this.

if you don't want to fully encrypt the server (why would you not, this is one area where encryption is important) then your alternatives would be to rsync (or w/e) into an encrypted container on the server, or to use a backup system that keeps track of all files you have backed up so you can send encrypted files to the servers of just new/modified files

>buying a prebuilt NAS

Not a bad idea, really.
Most you can install your own OS on anyway if you aren't retarded.

>Depending the method Jow Forums uses they could auto-rotate when doing so, but that would also be more computation and could slow down the process.
Stripping all the EXIF data and rotating the image data itself would be computationally expensive, but I don't see why they couldn't just leave the orientation alone and strip the rest of the EXIF data, although I guess they'd had to validate it.

Has anyone bought an eternal SAS enclosure?
Anyone know of one that's not a complete ripoff?
Considering just making my own because all of them seem to be about $100 of components being sold for $300+, with the actual good ones being $800+.

Install either freenas, if you can stand BSD, or some flavor of linux that supports ZFS on linux. Ubuntu has great support for it. Run raidz1 for raid-5 like performance and parity with ZFS goodies (snapshots, checksums)

Did the WD 8TB mybook or easy store go on sale anywhere? I only saw the 10TB but at a worse price point

How many bays you need user? I've used the Mediasonic Proraid for testing drives. Others swear by them, though I can't speak of long term reliability as I only power mine up to check drives every so often.

Why the fuck do Raspberry Pis hold their value so well? I thought they were memes and were hardly used by the people who bought them.

at least four, but that's just to put in what i have lying around to clean up my current clusterfuck pi setup. I'm looking at pretty cheap servers, but I can't think of a good way to handle the noise.

People who say RasPis are memes have no idea what they are talking about at all.

Any tutorials for installing other OS's on a NAS? For example, where would the installer USB go, and where do I plug in the screen?

they're considered memes because a lot of people buy them and don't have a use for a low cost low power linux device, however the people that do have a use for them, even if it's something dumb that could probably be ran on a $0.30 atmel microcontroller, would also be in the market for a used lower cost linux device which means there's always going to be a demand for them on ebay
you only need to look at how well pi zeros sold to verify this, it went from $35 to $5 and you get basically the same hardware and they're selling better than hot cakes as a result

I'm going to use a Dell R210 II as a pfsense router and I want to have a media server for next cloud. What should I use for the server? R720 or should I just build my own?

Question about using the R210 as the router. It has two interfaces with the speed of 1GB. If I used a 10GB switch would the router interface speed matter? would it impact my LAN speed in any way?

The vast majority of all Pis were tinkered with for a few hours/days and then put away socked away in drawers never to be plugged in again. While the device is useful, it's mainstream popularity is without a doubt a meme.

>but I don't see why they couldn't just leave the orientation alone and strip the rest of the EXIF data, although I guess they'd had to validate it.
More effort.
It's one simple command to strip all. If you want to remove everything but orientation you can either read the orientation, strip and then write the orientation back or fill everything else with null or junk data, which is more of a pain, especially if some devices add custom metadata you don't account for.

Sure, it could be fixed. The best idea would be to go to /qa/ and ask about it, I guess. Find out exactly how they're stripping the data (possibly just imagemagick mogrify) and suggest a solution that they can implement with little effort and low computational resource required.

how do i host an imageboard off my pi?

r710s are cheap as fuck (~$200) and you can get them with either 3.5" or 2.5" bays. Get the 3.5s for some easy and powerful NAS-ness. If you want something more modern, R720 is also quiet and much faster and more power efficient. That way too you're not relying on some cheap Chinese raid enclosure with all your data. The dell r7XX's are super popular with hobbyists for homelabs, so there's about a thousand guides and write-ups on how to quiet them down, but desu they're pretty dang quiet stock.

No fuckin idea what you're talking about tbqh. Link which prebuilt NAS you're referring to and we'll try and help. Otherwise follow my advice here:
and just buy a proper server and turn it into a NAS like a real man.

I'm interested in this as well. Right now I have plans to virtualize pfsense, but an r210ii is just so cheap, and having dedicated hardware for it would be so much better. I'm not part of the 10GB club yet, but I think a lot of people just do some kind of point to point thing with them (NAS to vm machine maybe?).

How did you guys get over the fear of hordes of pajeets learning netsec attacking your server? I shudder thinking there must at least be one running scripts every day just to see if there's a vulnerable ip.

>Bestbuy easystores

wait those have WD reds in them? wtf?

ALSO

What mini ITX/Micro ATX server motherboard would /hsg/ recommend for a beginner/idiot looking to build a NAS out of a Node804/304?

probably going to use OMV and SnapRaid.

Attached: file.png (1280x960, 372K)

Is it bad that I find the $30 RCA tablet PC (Win 10) I got on clearance from Walmart 2 years ago to be sufficient for most all of my "home server" needs?

>buy a server
>turn it into a NAS!
Wut

Uh, you kinda just run a web server with an imageboard software thing? I'll point you at a more exotic option. Actually easy to try if you have the prequisites installed:
github.com/Karasiq/nanoboard

OTOH more seriously just click that "imageboard" tag and deploy one of the more popular options, perhaps.

If it's only for your own private use, you might also want to try hydrus instead.

IIRC WD doesn't make any >= 8TB blues or greens, if they used to they certainly don't anymore so it's just reds with a different label. I've heard some people found Ultastar drives too in one of the external WD lines, legit datacenter drives

By securing my servers?

I'm writing a udp daemon as I speak to deal with script kiddies.

>What mini ITX/Micro ATX server motherboard would /hsg/ recommend for a beginner/idiot looking to build a NAS out of a Node804/304?
ASRock J5005-ITX is pretty fancy. Not that you'll be wrong if you save 40% of the cost on an older chipset, even a J1900 probably isn't wrong to use... I'm just going with the maybe-nicer-than-necessary option here.

For a setup with more than 4-6 drives or a bunch of fast SSD and higher performance requirements, you might want to just look into something like a Ryzen 2400G or Epyc/Xeon. Not that you can't do even 8 drives on aforementioned board, but it has some bottlenecks you might hit.

Only expose secure and generally trusted applications to the outside. I only have SSH, OpenVPN and rtorrent's incoming port exposed since that's essentially the minimum I need. Everything else is accessed through OpenVPN.

This is the NAS
flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAA3N4SP2188

What is there not to understand user? Freenas.org

what about an i3 board?

Also possible. But I'd go with the Ryzen [or for a thing in between, a 200GE].

Still, probably actually start with "why can't I use a J5005"? OMV and Snapraid and some more could work fine on that.

Looks like it runs some shitty chinky OS. Both winfags and macfags alike seem to think it's garbage software. Not sure if you can run your own on it or not user - you gots some googling to do. The price is right, but check out their chink marketing image. Apparently this NAS is for...climbing?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 10.07.17 PM.png (2016x1676, 2.22M)

links to macfags and winfags opinion on the Terramaster OS:

windowscentral.com/terramaster-f4-220-review

macworld.com/article/3220466/storage/terramaster-f2-420-nas-review.html

maybe you are right. if I ever want to do something else that requires more power I would probably end up getting a rack anyway.

20TB usable is good enough for me

WHY

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT

if you ABSOLUTELY want hotswapping you could easily have gotten a lian li q25 or a fucking U-NAS case for shits sake. why pay more for some garbage hardware and a shitty OS

Well yes, a lot of people think RasPis will bring magic to their homes all on their own, which RasPis don't do of course.
This a case of wrong expectations and when people get frustrated, they have no idea what they're talking about when they are saying RasPis are memes...

>20TB usable is good enough for me
4x10TB with 2 drives redundancy?

Well, adding two-four more drives is possible and inexpensive (you still got a PCI slot). And then you could add even more with USB3.1, or port multipliers, or a PCI controller with 8 ports, or whatever. You'll not be able to run every drive at full speed at all times, but it's not REALLY limited to only 4 drives.

4x6 with one redundant, or i could do 16tb usable.

You just described why raspis are a meme. They have a specific use case but they're hype machines, just like 3d printers. Yeah, it's a very useful tool for people who know exactly what they're doing but they have a special reputation as a mythical machine that if you buy you're part of the future

6TB? Well, as you prefer.

Anyhow, still much the same point, it's not like you only got 4 ports if it comes down to it. $20 or so on a PCI card [and maybe a PSU upgrade...] will get you another 4 ports. The controller on the board can do port multipliers with FIS. And your USB ports also are really quite fast.

WAIT FUCK

I meant 6x4tb

god I'm so retarded. The Node304 holds 6 HDDs

You can understand "meme" in several ways
"meme" as a actual shitty overhyped product
or
"meme" as a good overhyped product which frustrates idiot buyers with false expectations

RasPis fall into the latter category

> I meant 6x4tb
Are 4TB drives that much cheaper per TB or do you already have them?

Else I'd generally consider getting bigger drives. Saving $2-3 or so per TB isn't usually worth doubled drive count in a NAS.

Can you guys recommend a kvm switch that is not shit?

Depends on what you need. Very often you might be fine with a ~$20 one off Ali or even just using
github.com/debauchee/barrier
or the commercial Synergy.

Anyone running plex? What's the cheapest (new) hardware that can handle 1080p, maybe 4k transcoding

>Are 4TB drives that much cheaper per TB or do you already have them?

.005 cheaper than anything 6tb or higher at the moment

4tb is a good size/price compromise, I can get 4 for $400 and get 12tb usable in a single parity setup. If I got 6tb drives It would be $540 for 3 drives, 12tb usable. so yeah. 4tb drives are the best size to buy. unless you need ludicrous amounts of storage you should be getting 4tb drives

Attached: file.png (1832x635, 509K)

Usually you're better off getting 1080p/4k playback devices, rather than making a monster machine that can briskly transcode 8k to 4k or 4k to 1080p with size efficient encoding.

It's hopeless, the USB 2.0 file server crowd are too strong in these threads. Glad to see another person who is serious about labbing though, good luck bro. I've got hit up monoprice and get some more patch cables again.

Attached: 20181020_114143.jpg (843x1500, 445K)

Maybe still not worth getting the smaller drives then, you'll still use like $4-8/year in electricity or something per drive in 24/7 operation, and maybe you also do put some value on the cost per SATA port just in case you go over what you have now or what you maybe might buy next.

buddy, I don't have infinite money you know. 4tb is literally the best bang for your buck if you are just doing a home NAS for file storage (unless you want to buy refurbs)

Attached: file.png (902x574, 363K)

I have 4 external USB hard drives. Instead of constantly plugging/unplugging them from various computer, I want to present them as storage over the network. What do?

Does anybody here know anything about websockets?

As far as I can tell they are just wrapper. Do they provide any kind of encryption?

how do they work with ssl?

Well, the implied suggestion is that you halve the drive count and look at the resulting cost over, IDK, 5 years of operation with whatever your electrical power costs locally.

As well as the cost of adding more drives if you need more storage.

Wrong thread for generic web developer questions that additionally can be answered by search engine.

yeah but like I said, It's far more expensive and I don't have a fuck ton of money lying around. If I had unlimited case I would buy a giant enterprise server rack thing and a billion 15TB hard drives all powered by a quad xeon board with 512gb of ram

but clearly I do not have 15 grand or so to throw around, nor do i need that much fucking storage

Rockpro64 4gb or Odroid Xu4?

Pajeets are generally stupid.

Attached: sc.jpg (719x550, 1.36M)

You did gud user.
Post reviews after you get it please.

>portscan yourself and close any potential leaks.
>use ssh private keys with password login disabled
>etc
The fear never really goes away, but enough to get some sleep

>Glad to see another person who is serious about labbing though
You don't need a beefy setup for this.
And while such a setup is nice, not everyone can run it for various reasons.

Not sure. If you picked the earlier you'd be one of rather few people here who could tell us how it's working out. The latter is a pretty safe choice, but of course it doesn't have 4GB RAM.

What's the best quiet or silent switch with at least 2 SFP+ ports?
I'm guessing I'm probably not going to find anything better than the Mikrotik one.

What do you want to do?

How exactly are you using the Nas storage with Nextcloud?

>nextcloud on RasPi
The RasPi barely powerful enough to run a useable instance of Nextcloud. I've just set it up on a Rock64 and it's like 3x as fast.

>100mbs bottleneck
the RasPi is far below 100MB/s

I installed mySQL on my Pi... and now i can't SSH anyomore to it and it brings down my whole local network once pluged in. Can someone explain why?

Geoblock india

What else is on the pi?
I think you did something horribly wrong.
I just installed MariaDB without any issues.

>brings down my whole local network
wat