What would be better to get for the money? ($500-$600 leaf bux), a iPad Pro 10.5 or a surface pro i5/8gb? (Both used)

What would be better to get for the money? ($500-$600 leaf bux), a iPad Pro 10.5 or a surface pro i5/8gb? (Both used).

I can find ups and downs with both but I’m leaning toward the surface, thoughts?

Attached: 47587A98-1568-4E08-8EFE-61AD66A252A1.jpg (3000x2000, 565K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-based-Tablets/Tablet-10-2018-20l3-reviews/td-p/4243524
windowscentral.com/surface-go-vs-lenovo-tablet-10-which-should-you-buy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Surface pro 4*

A used laptop with a real man's operating system.

surface pro obviously
ipads are totally useless

I want a tablet, I have no use for a laptop. Although that’s why a surface pro would be nice as it would run windows 10 and would be both a tablet and a laptop with its detachable keyboard.

Just bought a pro today: i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD.
After 3 hours usage I'm really enjoying it and not regretting it at all, looking forward to buy the pen too.
Tomorrow I might test some games.

Which surface pro? 4? 5? 6?

If you want a tablet then get the iPad.

Okay, why? What makes it a better/more versatile product than the surface?

You should get the ugly...I mean, "beautiful" Google Pixel Slate :^)

Chromebooks are terribad. I don’t know why anyone would ever want one.

Do you want a tablet that runs x86 software and even Linux natively, or do you want a piece of shit that bends in half and runs angry birds?

Attached: 1542756087662.jpg (552x689, 31K)

Do you want a full desktop experience or a crippled mobile OS?

The only reason I’m even questioning it is because I can only afford to get a surface pro 4, which is 2 iterations behind, while the iPad Pro 10.5 is only 1 iteration behind. Although I guess it’s not very comparable as were talking pc vs mobile components.

If you want a tablet then get the iPad.

I was just looking at them and went with the 12" galaxy book for the oled screen and the better digitizer but I'm mostly using it for art. A used Surface Book was higher on my list than the pro 4 for about the same price range.

Can you please give me reasons why.

Can’t afford a surface book. Would be nice though. Will take a look at the galaxy.

I've owned both for extended amount of time (iPad Pro 10.5, 12.9 and the Surface Pro 4, 2017). There are hundreds of reviews on this but I'll reiterate some of the good points here.

Surface
>complete desktop grade operating system
>operating system is shit in tablet mode (scaling, touch input, drawing).
>Screen backlight bleed has been a huge issue on these for years with no fix in sight.
>Expensive
>The keyboard accessory is essential for the surface.
>better pencil
>kickstand is great
>no USB Type-C

iPad
>limited operating system but more supportive of touch input
>keyboard accessory not essential as OS supports touch better than Windows
>cheaper
>improved new pencil but still not AS good as the surface
>extremely good battery life
>USB Type-C on the new models
>limited to the App Store for programs/apps

As much as Apple would like you to think it can be a computer the iPad is not a laptop replacement. It is a tablet and does tablet things well. If you're buying a tablet, you get the iPad. If you couldn't care less about keyboards, get the 2018 iPad instead of the iPad Pro. You'll save heaps of money. Depending on where you live, if you have an Apple store nearby, you may be more inclined to go with the iPad so you get Apple support. From my experience using the Surface and having to return them a few times due to various issues, you don't get the same level of support at a retailer that sells Microsoft products as you do when you go into an Apple store.

To extend on this, if you think you want a surface, just get a laptop.

Then buy a cheap tablet for $100 and put a real man's operating system on it.

Ive been thinking about getting the base 2018 iPad as well, but there are a few caveats for me. 1) non-laminated display, blegh 2) you just know the new model will come out in less than 5 months and look similar to the new iPad pros 3) one of the reasons I’ve been wanting a tablet is to try getting into art with the pencil/pencil like device, but due to the low refresh rate on the base iPad model it seems like the drawing isn’t as good due to input lag. 4) the “stereo” speakers are both on the bottom in portrait mode, meaning mono speakers is landscape which is what you’d be watching movies in which makes little sense. Apple a retard.

I mean, basically I want a tablet for these things. 1) browsing the web/ watching Netflix/YouTube in bed 2) drawing/photoshop 3) movies at work 4) productivity/studying

I would use the iPad but with surface pro's keyboard

>first meme OS no real support for anything serious besides browsing
>seconds meme OS with pseudo support for real tools
>both pretend to be laptops but are in no mans land
just buy a laptop

I don't want to kill a thread just to ask my question so I will pop it here. I am looking to get my wife a new laptop or 2 in 1 for Christmas. She does some graphic design and would like something compatible with the microsoft or wacom styluses. A good touch screen with fairly accurate color is pretty important, but it doesn't need to be absolutely top of the line. She occasionally needs to touch up lines and things with a stylus and uses my old wacom intuos to do it, but it is a pain in the ass to have to pull it out and plug it in for the rare occasions when that is necessary. With the touch screen she wouldn't need to interrupt work flow as often. Budget is probably about $650 before getting the pen or whatever, but is flexible to within about $100 (USD). She needs full x86 support for the non-cucked photoshop and illustrator or else I would probably be looking at the ipad pros.
Current laptop has an i7 5500u, pretty mediocre 1366x768 panel, 8gb of ram, and no SSD. That's what the new device has to beat. I have found some HP Envy laptops with the Ryzen 5 2500u that are in my range. Does anyone know anything about those or other potential competitors?

The Surface is a full on laptop replacement. It’s more powerful and superior to the iPad for laptop functions.

The iPad is a tablet. It’s a great at tablet things (think things you can do on your phone but better).

The iPad supplements your computer. Surface replaces it.

I vote iPad if you’re looking for a tablet.

Get the surface pro

I don't want to kill a thread just to ask my question so I will pop it here. I am looking to get my wife a new laptop or 2 in 1 for Christmas. She does some graphic design and would like something compatible with the microsoft or wacom styluses. A good touch screen with fairly accurate color is pretty important, but it doesn't need to be absolutely top of the line. She occasionally needs to touch up lines and things with a stylus and uses my old wacom intuos to do it, but it is a pain in the ass to have to pull it out and plug it in for the rare occasions when that is necessary. With the touch screen she wouldn't need to interrupt work flow as often. Budget is probably about $650 before getting the pen or whatever, but is flexible to within about $100 (USD). She needs full x86 support for the non-cucked photoshop and illustrator or else I would probably be looking at the ipad pros.
Current laptop has an i7 5500u, pretty mediocre 1366x768 panel, 8gb of ram, and no SSD. That's what the new device has to beat. I have found some HP Envy laptops with the Ryzen 5 2500u that are in my range. Does anyone know anything about those or other potential competitors?

The dealbreaker for me was no usb c charging. Did that bother you while using it?

Surface Pro would be tits for her. Great colour reproduction, high resolution screen, easy to use pen integrated into the OS. Flash storage and more modern procs.

Do you want a flimsy laptop replacement or a giant ipod touch?

I just got the PixelBook and Im kinda falling in love with it.
-keyboard is top tier.
-screen is nice and sharp
-the pen is exact and doodling is fun and note taking easy.
-699 + 99 isnt that bad.
-ChromeOS isnt the worst thing in the world but im trying to get used to it.
-Im loving the simplicity.
-aspect raitio reminds me of old thinkpad.

I dont think ill be putting linux on it. Please be gentle!

Attached: 1543021328406.png (457x576, 775K)

hp envy doesn't support the pen the spectre line with 7th gen does, for 650 you're looking at used 2-in-1s. Yoga 720, huawei matebook, surface pro, galaxy book etc.

Install Gentoo

For cyber Monday should I buy the latest iPad the tab s3 or the surface. None of the pros just regular.

Just bought my wife a 2018 11" ipad pro, because she wanted to use it for notes and such when she's in class. I'm not really a tablet guy nor an apple guy, but it's pretty slick. The display is really nice and the touch feedback is really responsive. Obviously, I don't have any longterm review to give you, but so far it's pretty impressive. I have a note8 and like to take notes, but the smaller screen makes it a little difficult to really do anything major. The ipad really lets you draw and tag notes all over the damned place and it's very precise with the pencil from what I've seen.

My main concern is it bending or some shit in her backpack, but we'll see. I got a warranty on it, so fuck it, I might get one for my business uses for Christmas.

Can I expect a CyberMonday sale from MS for the Surface Go 64gb? Also talk me out of it...

The 64 GB version uses eMMC while the 128 GB version uses SSD
I'm struggling between getting that version myself or the new Lenovo Tablet 10.
The Lenovo only has eMMc, but it uses DDR4, has way more ports (including USB 3.1 and HDMI), there's a pen included and ordering it with a keyboard still comes cheaper than the Surface Go.
>The Surface Go does have slightly better graphics and that kickstand, though

Forgot to add: It's also pretty much impossible to find a review on the Lenovo Tablet 10
These are the only two I've found (and the second one isn't even a proper review):
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-based-Tablets/Tablet-10-2018-20l3-reviews/td-p/4243524
windowscentral.com/surface-go-vs-lenovo-tablet-10-which-should-you-buy

What’s the Linux situation on the Surface? Been thinking of getting a new laptop for work; currently using a thinkpad x120e, which gets my work done, but is a little pokey. Been toying with the thought of the Surface Go.

$599.99 Surface Pro (5th Gen) + Platinum Signature Type Cover Bundle Intel Core m3, 128gb ssd, 4gb RAM, Windows 10 Home

You would be crazy to get the iPad

Damn, I have one of those boys. No idea how you get any feasible amount of work done on that.

Lot of our stuff is done with Google docs, and I’m probably the most patient person in the office. But Google sheets does tend to idle on me a bit more then I’d like when loading. I do get the occasional excel sheet to print out, but Libre Office has handled them fine. I don’t do any fancy media creation or heavy number crunching in my position.

I only have my phone which uses USB-C but I plug it to the wall both at home and work

With an Intel 620 I'm not expecting much from games, if it could play civilization 5 or 6 even at low quality I'd be really happy.

surface is trash, get the ipad

>a iPad
>a
Leaf education everyone

Do you want a general-purpose computer?
Surface Pro
Do you want a really sleek tablet for media consumption and a bit of notetaking and drawing?
iPad Pro 10.5

Attached: 13328863_f1024.jpg (1024x576, 63K)

So a Surface?

Pretty good. Pretty much everything works except the camera.

I've been really tempted by these black friday offers on the Surface Pro, but i am concerned over having a completely unrepairable device.

Not that i repair my laptop often, but i did replace the battery after 4 years. And obvious concerns over SSDs failing.