/spg/ - Smartphone General

First on 4channel edition.

Share and discuss deals on smartphones and smartphone accessories.

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much you spent on good/bad phone

Prior

Attached: 46295020_332060057378068_2559511375070557446_n.jpg (640x640, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/Bqe3aQIAQpD/
twitter.com/evleaks/status/1066009104467075078
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8634&idPhone2=8674#xt1900-1,usa
dbrand.com/shop/google-pixel-2-xl-skins
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nice case

love the case

Hello /spg/, I need your help/advice.
I have an itoddler SE that has a damaged screen.
I need a new phone.
I don't want to spend more than $300.
My only option to stay with Apple at that price is a 6s.
My family members have constantly hounded me into having the "apple ecosystem" so I can keep up with all their stupid ass photo sharing crap.
>apple computer, apple phone, apple tablet
I feel like I'm being sucked into a world of spending too much money on crap that I don't need.
Should I just hate my life and go with stupid 4 year old technology to please my family so I can keep up with their stupid apple shit or should I get a "better" phone and please myself?
Which phones would you recommend under/around $300 (besides 4 year old apple technology)
In the U.S. btw
and sorry for the long post but I want to provide as much info for my situation as possible :(

great case

Which carrier?

Do you need to keep up with them 24/7? You said you have an apple tablet and computer so I don't see why that shouldn't be enough. Especially with the tablet. Also I think you can share icloud albums with anyone now.

If your budget is that restricted just get what you want. If your family is using newer devices and want you to use an apple one that badly tell them to help you buy one.

tell them to buy you a phone if it's so fucking important to them that you stick with apple

I don't use any of those things, I've never voluntarily updated my phone and I didn't even know the S6 had a fingerprint reader. Does "better performance" really mean anything to a person like me? The most demanding thing I do is play video files, and my S6 already does fine.

Attached: 1517431482058.gif (275x225, 133K)

>repost from reddit
yep. 4chin is super original!

Every post... is a repost.......

>I don't use any of those things
Why are you even buying a flagship phone then? Might as well get something for $200-300.

I'm on cricket atm

Yeah I have a MacBook and an iPad, both bought within' the past 2 years so they should be good to go for a while

I like this idea, might try that tomorrow desu

It's mostly my brother, he has really pressured me into buying into the apple meme
>oh everything is so much better, the price is worth it nobody does it like apple does
but im just starting to see im spending twice as much money on tech than I used to and it bothers me

Fuck your family man. Using 4 year old phone is torture and you shouldn't submit yourself to it
Not sure if Nokias supported in US, but look into 7 plus. Decent budget phone and lightyears ahead of iPhone 6s. Maybe other anons can suggest something better

Actually took it from here - instagram.com/p/Bqe3aQIAQpD/

But yes user, sometimes things are uploaded to the internet in places besides Jow Forums(nel)

Nokia 7 Plus isn't officially available in the US, but Nokia 6.1 and 7.1 are.

Best protective cover for Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite / Redmi Pro 6 ?

The 7.1 looks pretty nice, thanks for that recommendation.

who cares about your dumb problem then
just buy this year's midranger instead of last year's flagship you stupid retarded idiot

Attached: 1300076193457.png (471x354, 231K)

My original upgrade to the S6 was coming from a phone that actually struggled with some video rendering, so it was a big improvement at that time. My S6 has been great and so it feels natural to replace it with a "current" version because I don't want to change a working system more than I need to. Maybe it seems dumb, but I am not a smart man.

What would you buy (CDMA) for $450 then, friend?

A new 128gb iPhone 7 from ebay

LG V35 ThinQ

I'm going to replace my LG G4. I want as good (or better) main camera, much better front camera and much, much better battery. Audio jack is a must. I was thinking about getting Nokia 7 Plus, but Redmi Note 5 Pro seems to be a much better value proposition. Is it really worth it?

Get the LG G7 for $349 off Google Fi, you need to activate on Fi but there's no minimum activation time so you can immediately cancel and use the phone on your own carrier (it's unlocked), and only pay $20.

Pocophone

Do people install these nightly Lineage OS updates or just do it once every few weeks?

Used Xpreria XZ for 120~ USD, good deal? Looks fine physically but according to the seller battery barely lasts a day

Did a factory reset today. What's a good file explorer app?

I used to use ES File Explorer, but I'm wondering what else is out there.

Thanks guys, I'll give it another look.

not even a little bit

I never do updates of any kind if it's stable, just wipe absolutely everything on the phone and then flash the latest version of the recovery and rom once a year.

any good blackfriday deals on phones besides the Galaxy S9 on amazon?

XZ2 compact is underrated, bros. Such a great size. Sony finally brought the camera up to speed. Shutter+volume buttons are great controls for taking video. Only shame is the missing headphone jack really.

The USA wants everyone else to stop using Huawei devices:

>After the US banned Huawei from supplying equipment in the country and then prohibited the use of Huawei and ZTE devices by government officials, Uncle Sam is now trying to persuade its allies not to use the Chinese firm's handsets and equipment as well.

>The information comes from people familiar with the matter and the USA has already contacted Germany, Italy, Japan and others. And this is not the first time Huawei has been under scrutiny - Australia imposed a ban on Huawei equipment just a few months ago too. The company was supposed to build Australia's 5G network.

>The information comes from people familiar with the matter and the USA has already contacted Germany, Italy, Japan and others. And this is not the first time Huawei has been under scrutiny - Australia imposed a ban on Huawei equipment just a few months ago too. The company was supposed to build Australia's 5G network.
>FBI's head, Christopher Wray, explains that Huawei's founder, Ren Zhengfei, is a former officer in the People's Liberation Army and this poses a risk as it gives the tech giant a lot of control and may conduct undetected espionage.

What's wrong with the US government? Their justification seems pretty retarded seeing how their citizens are also spied on through their phones by their government, are they just pissed that whoever buys a Huawei phone is indirectly supporting the Chinese economy? Better yet, why have they said nothing about Xiaomi?

so how should i go about rooting my samsung galaxy J3?
are there also alternative non botnet versions of android i could flash to it?

Why?

Xiaomi doesn't manufacture telecomm equipment and they kind of avoid selling in the US, attacking them would seriously undermine (even more) the credibility of those agencies
And Xiaomi is quite reliant on US IP and products, unlike Huaweii who are manufacturing their own

just wondering, you guys custom kernel, undervolt, debloat, etc to get the best performance out your phones?

or yall just dont really care and do whatever

Should I flash Lineage OS on my HTC One m8?

If it stopped getting updates and you want newer updates then sure.

whats the best taking photos of buildings fone

Attached: IMG_20180220_110553.jpg (4032x3024, 2.17M)

Handheld camera

How bad is the ghosting on the LG V20?

Check slickdeals

What cheap phone should i get if i only care about performance and battery life?

What's the best music app for Android?

> Don't care if paid or free
> Don't care if I have to get it from play store or fdroid
> Want to play all the mp3s stored on my SD card

you're gonna be back here in 5 months looking to replace it when it doesn't hold a charge anymore

Pocophone

Attached: POCOPHONE.png (650x464, 506K)

that's not a fone

Attached: IMG_20171226_161500.jpg (4032x3024, 2.04M)

>bought the iPhone 7
I mean, it's better than Samsung right?

Attached: d8461132-dcac-4184-9ab3-bf169da39d7b.png (526x504, 184K)

Never went past lolipop.

Changing the battery doesn't look particularly hard, a bit harder than the old Moto G I'm still on

no

iPhone7 is as good as Galaxy S4 from 2013
Except S4 has better screen and battery.. so no.. actually not as good

Is slow charging better for the battery than fast charging as long as I have the time?

lmao

yes it's pretty gud, just too expensive for a two year old phone

It's technically better for the battery yes but I don't know how badly the degradation from fast charging actually is. Maybe it doesn't matter as long as you change phones often but see if anyone has been using a oneplus phone for like 4 years and ask them.

Anybody know of a good movie/show streaming app for Android?

Attached: OFP-kozlice-00.jpg (592x480, 55K)

As long as you don't use quick charge every time you charge it and don't let it overcharge, quick charge isn't gonna degrade your battery to any noticeable amount

so what's the new Jow Forums approved memephone? Last thing I bought was moto Jow Forums, it was pretty good at the time.
Must work in the caribbean and less than $300 preferably.

Attached: 1541725750383.jpg (751x656, 132K)

The idea of a fake physical home "button" that vibrates when pressed is silly imo.

There a jailbreak tweak that will let you just tap it to use it. Becomes much like an android virtual home button which is better.

Anyway I think you did okay just because I don't like large phones that swamp the market, and iphones 8 and lower are a decent size.

>benchmarks all around says it's better than the s8
>it isn't better than a 2013 phone

Attached: 1542952458221.jpg (629x652, 76K)

64gb Pixel 3 - $649
128gb LG V30 - $400
128gb iPhone 7 - $350
128gb Pixel XL - $300
64gb Moto Z2 Play - $299

what do I need to do to un-JUST the software on a s9+

what's that? best by budget range?
why not moto x4?

Thanks for telling me to get the 6T.
I'm really happy with it

Attached: IMG_20181123_192558.jpg (3036x4048, 2.95M)

Attached: 73235432.jpg (1000x788, 253K)

Doesn't the Pixel 3 have horrible SOT compared to the XL variant? I don't really want the fuckhuge notch but if I have to trade the notch for horrible battery life then I'll gladly take the notch.

>128gb iPhone 7 - $350
Where'd you find this price? Used?

split between
>104,90€ Xiaomi Redmi 6A w/ memetek Helio A22, Android 8.1, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage

>90€ meizu m6 with memetek MT6750, android 7.0, 3 GB RAM, 32GB storage

is meizu trustworthy??

>2915mAh vs 3430mAh
XL has the bigger battery, but I think it's fair to assume that this difference is diminished by larger screen and higher resolution.
According to tests non-XL version has better battery life (still pretty mediocre for a flagship)

Attached: Screenshot_12.png (866x498, 38K)

Is terrarium tv ok to use?
Or will I get raped by some security flaws?

Do they make really thin cases for phones that also have batteries inside and wirelessly charge your phone, provided it supports wireless charging?

Every battery case tries to go overkill and be bulletproof with a 30,000mah battery. I'd be fine with an extra 2 or 3k and that could still be quite thin.

>tfw bought a for parts Nextbit Robin for $30 on eBay that said it couldn't get past the setup screen because of a software update problem
>just updated without issue

What should I do with it? I know the backup servers shutdown last March so I'm stuck with 32 gbs.

budget pixel 3 (left) vs pixel 3

Attached: DssWwbmXQAAlDtF.jpg (900x1200, 130K)

new/other open box on ebay. that's how I got my 8 too

is the note9 good for someone who hates taking pictures, has no friends, and just plays fgo?

What's the display ratio on the GP3 Lite? It looks friendly

Look up videos or internet posts about how the note 9 runs fgo. If it's fine then sure.

Note 9

twitter.com/evleaks/status/1066009104467075078

Attached: Dss5oERV4AAQ34q.jpg (840x927, 65K)

Vinyl player

Pixel 3 lmao

The dev sperged out and threatened everybody that they might get in trouble if they kept using it which is probably nonsense. Anyway I'm using a patched version on my firestick with nothing else on it. Think it would be okay on phones if you can deny all its permissions

ordered pixel 2 XL should be coming on Wednesday. any recommendations for skins or cases? I'm more worried about the back and sides than the glass since I'm careless sometimes

>Z2 play is $299 better than the Moto X4

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8634&idPhone2=8674#xt1900-1,usa
Based on this I don't see how. Anyone care to elaborate?

It's an overkill, but if you're no-lifing in front of your phone you might as well get the best one.
Note9 is fast and has the best screen on the market, should suit you well

>dbrand.com/shop/google-pixel-2-xl-skins
for skins

And the iPhone still beats the brakes off all the phones Samsung release without a Galaxy S in their mf name lmao

>iPhone beats budget Samsung phones
Well at least you have that, congrats

What are treble roms? I want to use lineage on a phone I am eyeing on but there is no official nor non official version created for my device. How would the lineage treble rom work?

Its pretty slow on android but it was pretty good when I had a firestick

More efficient SOC, bigger and better AMOLED display, back is aluminum, better battery life (seriously only the original Z Play beats it), better earpiece speaker (both phones only have one speaker), 64/4gb for $300 is a better deal than the X4 for the same price.

iPhone 7 benchmarks beat allll S8 and older bro those are still flagships

what are you not seeing?

Opinions on the XA2? It's pretty cheap now used and it has quite a bit going for it

>Headphone jack
>FM radio
>Dual Sim
>Micro SD
>Dev support (official Lineage and Sailfish)

Attached: 1538637449104.jpg (1000x667, 106K)

Noice

>benchmarks
>implying it hasn't been crippled already by Apple updates to "save battery"
it's still an overpriced trash with awful battery and $150 pajeetphone-tier screen.

pajeetpoo arvindoo phones still don't have LCD's as good as the iPhone 7 though

>More efficient SOC
More efficient but not as powerful?
>better battery life
Both have 3000 mAh so I guess battery life is better from the more efficient SOC and amoled screen?

Attached: Screenshot_20181123-212224.png (1080x2246, 228K)