Never used Linux and had a spare laptop laying around so I thought of installing Arch since that's the worst one to...

Never used Linux and had a spare laptop laying around so I thought of installing Arch since that's the worst one to start with. Any "better" to suggest?

[spoiler] Also distro thread [/spoiler]

Attached: red.jpg (474x266, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20181122.iso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install xubuntu and dont listen to the arch retards

Linux From Scratch if you are doing this as a hobby.

This

>install gentoo

I'm planning on converting to Linux at some point and I'm using my laptop as a starter.

don't use any distro based on ubuntu, you'll get a bunch of broken shit. that includes xubuntu, kubuntu, mint, etc.

What would you recommend then?

>xubuntu
Just say Ubuntu. You are placing too much emphasis on the DE.

>since that's the worst one to start with.
Why? It's the simplest to install and maintain.

it depends what you are using the computer for.
debian, arch, gentoo are good. Ubuntu was nice when it was new because it did a lot of things automatically which were not setup in most distros, i suppose it's still kind of like this, if you want to learn how to use linux ubuntu isn't the best option though. If you do pick ubuntu, just do vanilla ubuntu, the spin-offs don't work as well

Welp, thanks for the advice. I'll look into those three. I'll into debian since most don't talk about it so I'll see it's any good to consider.

Arch is the only way. Avoid the Debian botnet!

Attached: 2018-11-24_19-18.png (625x316, 140K)

>botnet
both are using systemd

arch is fucking crap

Arch being difficult to install and use is a meme. Debian is best if you want something braindead easy to install and super stable. Arch is best if you very up to date software and if you want more obscure software through AUR without having to compile it from source. Gentoo is best if you want to avoid the systemd botnet.

Systemd may be slow, but it isn't a botnet.

>software through AUR without having to compile it from source.
AUR usually is compiling from source

GuixSD
literally the distro of the future. all others will perish

ubuntu is still better than debian faggot

>install xubuntu and dont listen to the arch retards
This.

Attached: 1540592783756.jpg (750x741, 61K)

go for antergos if you want arch and enjoy your free time instead of watching tutorials and reading wiki how to properly install it
if you want to learn something then install gentoo

It is literally just ten basic steps to install Arch.

But AUR helpers are more convenient.
It's more like 3 steps. partition drive, run pacstrap, and install grub. I guess you also have to set some locale settings or whatever but that's pretty much it.

Install arch with an installer script, like AUI. It's exactly the same install process, except 100% less autistic command copy-pasting and no "oops forgot to install package X for basic functionality Y"

Attached: trashman_you.jpg (222x227, 11K)

gavin@gavins-laptop

Just install Devuan and be done with it, you can distro hop later.

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20181122.iso

Attached: 2018-11-24-081400_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 793K)

>he has to look up the commands to install arch

Attached: 1524726796698.jpg (600x532, 40K)

I'll redpill you on distros user. For *nix users it is easy to choose a distro based on its technical merits because of their previous experience. For noobs, a noob friendly distro such as *ubuntu will ease the transition and hold their hands providing the path of least resistance. You'll grow as a user and will have needs, sometimes you'll luck out and your initial distro will service all those needs, sometimes you'll get more curious about all the choice different distros give and will start distro hoping, and with your new acquired experience you'll find taking the challenge of a new setup at least doable. Eventually you'll find the keeper and will settle for years and maybe even decades. But for now choose the easiest out of the bunch, I am a Debian user, a moderately easy distro to setup, but I seldom recommend for new users for the aforementioned reasons.

Gentoo is the light

Attached: 1543055575_2018-11-24.png (1920x1080, 1.17M)

Oh, the pain! The pain!

AUR is shit.

SystemDachau is shit.

Go for it.
Installing Arch is a good way to learn.

+1

SystemD is slow and a botnet. Grow up.

Bullshit.

I spend ages just installing a larger terminal font so I could read it on my high dpi screen.
Installing Arch is only fast and easy when everything goes exactly as planned.

This guy gets it.

it is for a basic partition scheme and over ethernet only. As long as you dont fuck up the boot partition setup or have to deal with subpar wifi utilities its easy to get setup

Must agree.

arch is the glorious edgy teenage choice
you can't go wrong with arch
all the cool kids are using
congrats

Attached: 3FBAB1445D214DB08C27E194A7046638.jpg (239x211, 6K)