I feel like every distro sucks

Arch breaks on updates. This could be handled if it was installed on btrfs with snapper and shits, but it takes too much time to configure

Slackware is buggy as hell and its firefox version even struggles to play some videos.

Opensuse too is buggy as hell, you will occasionally end up adding tons of not-so-much-trusted repos, you even need one to get codecs

Fedora isn’t that bad overall, but it’s made by redhat (hence NSA) and also is the root of many evils plaguing the GNU/Linux world - systemd, pulseaudio, GNOME3. And one also has to use third party repos to install codecs

Gentoo is a fucking joke, its overcomplicated package manager is vulnerably to mitm. Compiling everything from source is a fool’s errand

*Ubuntu is buggy and its software is ofteb outdated.

Debian provides age old software, its package manager simply sucks. Also stretch is the only distro that refuses to work with my laptop’s hybrid graphics.

Also all DEs suck:

KDE is a joke. Its startup takes more time then the actual boot to login screen, also it’s extremely buggy and tends to crash every now and then.

GNOME is a joke. They made it completely unusable, heck, can I not have a fucking taskbar and proper window buttons? Why those huge titlebars? Why write this shit in JS and make it so fucking resource hungry? And it also tends to crash/freeze ever since the move to 3rd version.

Mate and xfce are by far better than the two above mentioned bloated pieces of shit, but they are somewhat stuck in development. It’s 2018 and neither of them has a file indexer (in fact, xfce’s thunar doesn’t provide any search functionality), they don’t seem to be moving to wayland any day soon, and they just look ugly.

So what do? Where can I find sanity in gnu/linux world?

Attached: 1542893915148.jpg (1064x888, 326K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/61.0.1/
carlsonmeissner.com/practice-areas/criminal-defense/criminal-defense-faq/what-is-testimonial-evidence
leesfield.com/effective-use-of-demonstrative-evidence.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Fedora is good
>but it is actually bad because of the things that makes it good.

also
>And one also has to use third party repos to install codecs
is a good thing

Mommie!

Titties!

>Arch breaks on updates.
where did this even come from? it breaks less than ubuntu does after updates
i've forgotten when i last had any kind of hiccough after an update, and it never takes more than a couple minutes to sort it out

Milk!

>So what do? Where can I find sanity in gnu/linux world?
Glad you ask this, it is time for you to join the chromeOS masterrace.

Attached: fuckarch.png (1366x768, 1.35M)

God, I wish I could suck those beauties!

My dear tits...

What's that smell? Sweet, sweet breasts... They sing me a song.

you need to be 18 to browse this site

>Can't into Gentoo

Attached: 356456785.png (500x205, 156K)

>t. 19 yo adult oldfag

The vulnerability you describe with Gentoo has already been patched and does not apply if you configure Portage to sync with Git instead of SSH.

>systemd, pulseaudio, GNOME3.
These are all good things and better than existing alternatives.

>systemd
>better than OpenRC

>gnome
>better than XFCE and KDE

No.

Try Debian testing/unstable, solus or lfs

Except for KDE which will always be marginal, none of those programs make any progress in discarding the obsolete Unix philosophy of software design.

Reminder that Debian/Ubuntu with systemd are the only distros that matter. They are the standard Linux based operating systems. 3rd parties are far more likely to package binaries as .deb than any other format, or at least build the binaries with debian libraries in mind.

>Arch breaks on updates.
it doesn't

> its firefox version
. . .
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/61.0.1/

18 is horny which you would have known if you were 18

user, what did you do to your config file?

>Ubuntu is buggy and its software is ofteb outdated.
ur bitching because you found a stable one, nice.
>fedora isn't that bad overall

it sounds like you want to do things on your computer, not obsess over linux, filesystems, drivers, and packages.

with that in mind, pick one, and unless you contribute, quit your bitching.

Not quite. IBM/Redhat's Systemd, Pulseaudio and GNOME3 are BAD things user.
They replaced smelly shit with wet shit and then smeared their shit all over Linux.

kys

You're right about everything.
They all suck a ton but there's no hidden oasis in this world.

For what I do daily KDE with OpenSUSE or Fedora are the least painful.

void is the best distro that solves all these common problems you mentioned.
also you don't need a DE. choose any WM and setup your own environment.

>"but it takes too much time to configure"
Minimal distro's aren't for everyone.
I still prefer void over arch, everything is much more sane. Just needs more packages

>>"but it takes too much time to configure"
void is easier to configure than arch though, it even has an installer which makes most of things you'd need working ootb.
>Minimal distro's aren't for everyone
true, but OP also mentioned bloat and buggy software. if you don't go minimal, don't dare complaining about it as bloat and bugs will be inevitable. or else OP just doesn't know what he wants.

>Arch breaks on updates.
after three years of using a laptop running arch for work and shitposting I have yet to have a real problem with it.
Only shit that broke was tmux and was because I copy pasted some old ass config portion that was deprecated on a new version.

>mate and xfce look ugly

not an argument

but anyway, you are mostly right

Use void and disregard DEs.
Just customize a WM. You can backup/version your config to port it across any machine/instalation

>Arch breaks on updates. This could be handled if it was installed on btrfs with snapper and shits, but it takes too much time to configure
Anecdotal evidence isn't real evidence.

memes

>Gentoo is a fucking joke, its overcomplicated package manager is vulnerably to mitm.

How?

Me: "You seem like a wonderful person. When do I get to play with those boobs?"

>Debian provides age old software, its package manager simply sucks. Also stretch is the only distro that refuses to work with my laptop’s hybrid graphics.

He couldn't come up with a reason lmaooo

>MILKERS

Attached: 1541612352192.jpg (630x630, 102K)

>whoreposting
>a big list of bitching and complaining
so OP, how many projects have you successfully finished this year? care to share your github and portfolio? would love to follow your stuff!

Attached: 100989284_idiot.png (500x360, 71K)

>t. NEET
i get paid for working on projects

You know what? You know what happened? He backed it up.

You stupid fucking nigger.

He backed it up.

An operating system is really suppose to get out of your way at least for me so ya all of them are going to be a little annoying.

>believes everything he reads on the internet

Just fucking die.

I feel you. I really liked Ubuntu 10.04. Everything after that just feels lacking in some way. I haven't even used Linux in two years, so I don't know what it's like now.

>Slackware is buggy as hell and its firefox version even struggles to play some videos.
Really? Are you using a stable release? I haven't used Slackware in 4-5 years, but it was always pretty solid for me.

Yes it is.

carlsonmeissner.com/practice-areas/criminal-defense/criminal-defense-faq/what-is-testimonial-evidence

leesfield.com/effective-use-of-demonstrative-evidence.html

Use SteamOS you gamer faggot.

Where did you learn so much about Linux sir?

Attached: 8787.jpg (261x312, 14K)

I disagree regarding your comments about distros.

I agree with your comments about desktop environments. And I would like to add that setting some things in Linux is just too much hassle. It's not always a problem with Linux but it's not like there is no unified setup interface for things either. It's a problem with the DEs, because it's always assumed that your admin would set those up for you.

>Linux is shit in general
What a surprise

try manjaro. Basically Arch but with more gui hand-holding and things break less in my experience. Pretty happy so far. Would use it exclusively if stupid management didn't require me to use VS. Also, Unity game engine isn't really stable yet on linux. bummer. Soon though, soon..

Attached: 1542958668995.png (128x128, 23K)

unironically Mint and Antergos are the best just werks distros now. 2018 is a strange place

Just use Ubuntu Budgie nerd.

>Arch breaks on updates.
When and how does it break on update ? Enough with this bullshit meme.

And why the hell would you run a DE unless you are a absolute noob ?

>And why the hell would you run a DE unless you are a absolute noob ?

Is that a real question?

>Opensuse too is buggy as hell
please elaborate
t. opensuse leap user

maybe its time you realized Linux is a hobby OS (rage harder nerds its an OS as far as normal people are concerned) destined to be forgotten as the 2nd partition in a dual boot setup on your old laptop in the closet

Time to go FreeBSD.

I did and newer looked back. Fuck Linux.

>Arch breaks on updates
>KDE tends to crash every now and then
User error

>Gentoo is a fucking joke, its overcomplicated package manager is vulnerably to mitm. Compiling everything from source is a fool’s errand
lmao what

Attached: stirner.png (389x283, 12K)

Dude, I'm 30 and I still like boobs. Go be a faggot somewhere else.

Im only here to look at the tiddies

Get MX Linux.

Look at arch's pkgbuild and crux' pkgfile formats. They're way simpler, and does the job, ebuilds are a mess and a lot more complicated than it needs to be. You get no variants or use flags, but adding something like that to pkgfiles still wouldn't make it much more complicated. Gentoo and portage works, but they're nowhere near as simple as it could've been.

LFS
BLFS

>Gentoo is a fucking joke
Then it's the only joke distro I can put up with.

>its overcomplicated package manager is vulnerably to mitm.
How long ago was this patched? Too bad I use Git syncing so it didn't even affect me.
>Compiling everything from source is a fool’s errand
When all the USE flags are set for you, they are by default, then you run the first build over night. Every subsequent update is practically nothing is you have even 2 or more CPU cores.
Building from source is a fair trade to get my software this optimized, slimed and targeted.

Systemd isnt shit, fuck off.

>>t. NEET
>i get paid for working on projects

Ok I'll bite. How much did you pay for the free software you use?

Attached: c2zf1e6zh2021.jpg (1335x2000, 440K)

What is void and why should i care?

Macos is Unix perfected.

Almost nothing.
>50€ to FSF for emacs and gcc
>20€ to Linux Foundation for linux
>30€ to NixOS for making linux not suck as much
>250€ to certain member of INRIA for a tool i use heavily
No other free software i use is worth paying.

>Slackware is buggy as hell
Bait
>and its firefox version even struggles to play some videos.
>doesn't install patches
>wonders why his shit doesn't work
nevermind, you're just retarded
>Gentoo is a fucking joke, its overcomplicated package manager is vulnerably to mitm. Compiling everything from source is a fool’s errand
Gentoo is made for a specific purpose. It's prime for exotic hardware. If you can't understand this you're a brainlet.
>Mate and xfce are by far better than the two above mentioned bloated pieces of shit, but they are somewhat stuck in development.
Wayland is shit and there are plenty of third party tools that can fill in the gaps of what you want. Just use a solid window manager. XFCE is the only tolerable DE anyway.
>So what do? Where can I find sanity in gnu/linux world?
Grow a brain. That being said you're not wrong about everything else you said.

>Almost nothing.
€ to FSF for emacs and gcc
€ to Linux Foundation for linux
€ to NixOS for making linux not suck as much
€ to certain member of INRIA for a tool i use heavily
>No other free software i use is worth paying.

Good job. You do more than I do.

Attached: ltqtfll794z11.jpg (960x960, 57K)

Project Trident (BSD)

How does Gentoo even work? When compiling something I often have to install many devel packages. It's why I build inside a VM, to keep my host clean. If you build the entire OS from source won't it be bloated with all the dependencies required? Or are they automatically deleted again or something?

you don't need to install development headers, because when you install things on gentoo, you download their source code, which is normally left on disk

Gentoo is incredibly bloated. Effective use of portage requires a completely separate binhost machine.

Source based distros like CRUX, Source Mage, Lunar, Gentoo do not remove headers when you install stuff. Binary distros however split those off into -dev packages. I would not say this is bloat, as for many people (those that would be ok with using source based distros), build dependencies are required.

I donate heavily to Patrick Volkerding for the years of work he's done on Slackware. I think it might be a good idea to donate to the FSF for emacs. What's the best way to go about doing this?

You are an idiot. Linux is literally flawless.

Arch gives the best possible experience as far as software availability goes. It seems like every project hits the aur way before mainstream distros, even rolling ones

Slackware is solid as hell if you can get your drivers set up correctly. If you can't, you probably shouldn't use slackware

Opensuse is miles ahead in regards to configuration with Yast

Gentoo is ideal as a meta-distribution, you know, the thing it was designed for.

Ubuntu gives the best possible experience as far as out of the box compatibility. Gaming, low latency audio, video editing is all easy on Ubuntu and family

Debian is stable and up to date if you run Sid

KDE is plenty fast and usable on core2duo and older systems, yet flies with modern hardware acceleration. It is fast, stable, and incredibly configurable.

GNOME3 is light-years ahead of macOS and any other DE as far as elegance and efficient workflow are concerned. Turn off your extensions and use it the way God intended.

XFCE's next major version with gtk3 support is about 80% complete, with only a half dozen serious developers. It will release early next year.

MATE has wayland support in the next major version, coming probably this year.

Git good faggot

t. Apple weenie. Check stocks, Mac's are overpriced trash.

>if i just post a laundry list of common distro myths and stereotypes i'll be sure to get the most (You)'s possible
And it worked. Bravo, OP. These people are fucking retards and kids.

That's less than i make in a cup of coffee. Literal peanuts. But i don't value the software higher than what i donated. Except the INRIA stuff, i might donate much more in future, depending on how active the development will be. Not that they need the money, unlike FSF or the solo guys (too bad they write crapware or actually good shit i don't care about).
>What's the best way to go about doing this?
my.fsf.org/donate
No other way as the individuals responsible for developing and maintaining emacs (at time of my donation that was rms) do not accept donations and even if they did, i suspect most of the money would go to FSF anyway.

Are you fucking stupid? You can't convict on testimonial evidence alone; you need corroborating evidence. Also, eyewitness testimony is the *MOST* unreliable type of evidence.

For example, I saw the FSM, therefore it must exists. kys retard.

sounds like you need mac os

Linux "distros" are just the kernel with a bunch of shit tacked on and they break after every major release. They are not designed as a whole like the BSDs.

>Gentoo is a fucking joke, its overcomplicated package manager is vulnerably to mitm.
Not anymore, the portage tree is GPG-signed and every package contains multiple hashes as well as the size of the files the ebuilds will download
>Compiling everything from source is a fool’s errand
If compile-time configurations weren't a thing, yes.

Use Void GNU/Linux.

Why is everyone who shills a systemd-less distro a NEET?

Tell that to Christine Ford

Oh wait we did HAHAHAHAHA

Q4OS doesn't suck. It's based on Debian (which you don't like because your hardware sucks) and it uses TDE as the desktop, which is a KDE 3.5 fork. It just works.

Attached: q4os.png (1280x1024, 138K)

kek

>(in fact, xfce’s thunar doesn’t provide any search functionality)
If you're that much of a brainlet that you can't into grep and locate then fucking catfish you stupid cunt.

Attached: 38507173_103169253958193_7676362518058500096_o.jpg (2048x1930, 319K)

Attached: 1542422720852.webm (480x360, 322K)

Just use win10 faggot

>just werks
>convenient auto updater
>lots of games

>we

Attached: you're hitting levels of cringe that shouldn't even be possible.png (597x418, 132K)

you're just too fucking dumb.
just do what said.

#savage

>sniffling libtard
Fuck off.

or maybe you just don't have a use-case for it, normie

>He thinks an OS is comprised of clickly buttons
>He uses geek squad to "fix" his computer

>Just use win10 faggot
>>convenient auto updater

Oh you!

Milkiessss