Best Linux Distro for Old Laptop

I have a very old and slow laptop (not my main device) that is running Windows 10, and I wanted to see if a light weight linux distro would give it a new lease of life. Any recommendations?

Attached: tux.png (220x261, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mxlinux.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unironically gentoo. It's really not hard to install, just follow the handbook and use lspci -k to configure the kernel, removing modules and drivers you don't need. Your first @world will take forever, but after that compiling isn't bad. Or you could be lazy and install arch

puppy linux

most retarded idea I've ever heard

If you really had a slow computer, the best choice would be musl void linux.
But desu I bet it's actually pretty fast, it doesn't mean much to say wangshits runs slow on it. So you could get away with literally any linux distribution. Just install ubuntu and be done with it.

How old? This matters. GNU/Linux won't run on anything older than a Pentium III unless it is a source based distro, but even then it is iffy.

this, the only drawback is retarded package management

>Unironically memedistro. It's really not hard to install, just follow the lengthy handbook and use lspci -k to configure the kernel, removing modules and drivers you don't need. Your first @world will take forever, but after that compiling isn't bad. Or you could be lazy and install other meme distro

sourcemage or crux

>the only drawback is retarded package management
linux in a nutshell

No, this is not a good option. If you've used Puppy Linux you would know.
Void doesn't support 32-bit processors.

I use Void Linux for a relatively old HTPC in my parents' home.

I highly recommend it.

in fact i don't know, is puppy linux bad?

circa but it was a budget laptop even then

I don't get this gentoo meme, is it a good distro or not? Why do people keep posting it everywhere?

Looks kinda ugly desu

> circa but was a budget laptop even then
* i meant circa 2009

>Looks kinda ugly desu
of course it's ugly nigga, it's made to run on Casio wristwatches from the 90s and it does its job well

Not as a whole, but as a general purpose OS it is. It's good for recovery options, or any time you can't use the HDD. But there is no point using it for regular use.

you can try minimal distro like centos or lfs and install on that minimal desktop environment that should work fine on every computer hardware

Ubuntu Gnome + Google Chrome

The fuck is with all the autism in this thread. Dude comes in saying he's running Win10 on an old laptop, autistic niggers shout install gentoo. If you have to ask what is gentoo then it isn't for you. Install a noob friendly *ubuntu like xubuntu and get on with your life. A few month later you'll know better than ask Jow Forums for your first *nix install.

Void, or sourcemage if you're feeling frisky. Maybe a BSD?

>*nix
I can't stand this shit.

Honestly? Xubuntu. Friendly to those new to Linux with great support and plenty of resources for troubleshooting, with the benefit of XFCE which sips on system resources compared to GNOME and KDE, the two other dominant WMs.

Those are DEs, not WMs.

You don't have to. Jump off of the top a building bitch.

Right, right. I've been up for 24 hours, it's fucked my brain.

Dumb yankee.

>Any recommendations?
Do you hate python?
If yes install minimal distro and bash-sourced package manager,

I use Python quite a bit

>making assumptions about the identity of anonymous users on an anonymous board
Wew lad, mommy must be so proud.

Peppermint OS

Your spelling and vernacular give you away.

I am not even a native, what's more I learned English from movies and a dictionary.
You are dumb

Arch + i3-gaps

So you're just a victim of American cultural imperialism? That is even worse.

Nope. Languages happen to be an interest of mine and It was just an easy pick up is all. Try opening up to other cultures, it'll help you widen your perspective quite a bit.

American culture is subversive and Semitic.

Arch 32 with LXDE

So what if it is, I am a semite myself. You just need to be aware that tv&media==Jews and Jews=/=Ordinary white people. This is turning into Jow Forums and I'd rather discuss technology.

Jews aren't white at all.

"vernacular"?

Damn educated liberals . . .

Xubuntu. If it's still too slow try Lubuntu but from my experience if it is recent enough to even run Windows 10 there are plenty of distros for it.

Yeah. Exactly my point. what the media does is present you with an average white person on tv pushing a nose hooked agenda. A retard will associate said agenda with whites which is simply wrong.

>Void doesn't support 32-bit processors
Why do you think so?

Minix

wat, im using void on a x60 tablet.

32 bit support is fine.

Gentoo, Puppy, and Lubuntu are very kind to old tech. Void musl if you're up for it

>Void/Arch/Debian netinst/Devuan netisnt/Gentoo w/distcc
>mpv + youtubedl + newsboat for youtube, edit mpv.conf and force videos down to 720 or 480p
>cmus or mpd for music
>dwm/windowmaker/FVWM for window management.

mxlinux.org/

If you are new to the Linux world, I recommend lubuntu, manjaro or mint.

This, ignore the other meme tier bs.

>Best Linux Distro for Old Laptop
Linuxlite
Lubuntu
LXLE
PeppermintOS
Antix
Manjaro

debian 9 w/ mate de

Mint and Manjaro are meme tier retards.
Ubuntu LTS, Debian Stable or CentOS are the only non meme options. Since the laptop is slow you don't want stupid big updates every day, just bug fixes that keep the machine secure. Comfyness at max

Fucking minimalfag, I bet you've been waiting hours for a single moment to just shove your retarded "rice" in everyone's face.

>Mint and Manjaro are meme tier retards.
Exactly, fucking retard that guy.

Attached: wageslave.jpg (432x326, 177K)

>>Mint and Manjaro are meme tier retards.
>Exactly
Exactly, meme tier

You can have a good looking setup while not using resources.
Sorry you're too retarded to compile a couple programs

Attached: 2018-11-23-1543026538.png (1600x900, 1.12M)