Seagate VS WD. HDD thread!!

Seagate has good sales this year but I've heard they break/are shit...
>wut do...
Barracuda 4TB 7200rpm 256mb cache is 120$ while WD black same speed is 180$$$
>wut do

Also should I say fuck it and get a 4tb Wd blue for 80$ 5400rpm

Attached: 1543040114110.jpg (400x225, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-buying-guide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

T O S H I B A

Dude it's a fucking hard drive, Just buy w/e. There's a 10 TB external at bb for 180, just buy that and shuck it.

Seagate is trash. never use seagate unless you want to loose the data on that drive in 2 years or less.

i should know i have to swap out drives on dells and 80% of em are seagates that fail. (15% toshibas and 5% western digital.)

>backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-buying-guide/
Backblaze does HD failure rates. So far, Annual failure rate for 4TB seagate is about 2.8% vs 1.9% for 4TB WDC, but at higher capacities Seagate is doing better.

Attached: 1531051716368.png (911x641, 93K)

Or maybe 7 of those and make RAID 0

> That Seagate 10TB

HGST has a new challenger in the larger capacities it seems.

Attached: 1483973753710.gif (350x261, 966K)

Yup, those sample sizes make for effective comparisons. Why don't you actually read the report next time, instead of just posting Jow Forums memes?

I use both brands. They all fail eventually.

This guy is straight up lying.

no i'm not. i work at dell repair center and the numbers i posted are pretty much spot on .. i rarely if ever have to replace a western digital drive. (maybe 5 a week, meanwhile i probably replace a minimum of 20 seagates.

>I'm too stupid to realize that if the majority of drives are x brand, the majority of failed drives will be from x brand

>hating on security features (self-destructing drives)

So you are just assuming Dell used the exact same amount of driver from each brand? They probably bought a shit ton more of the brand that you get the most.

Yeah, I'm not gonna believe the anecdotal evidence of some tier 1 help desk tech working at Dell.

oldest drive i use is a 20G seagate barracuda from 2005 or 2006
though to be fair, i've never had a drive die on me, WD or Seagate

>using a loud hdd

experience with seagate: died in a year
experience with WD: usually lasts 2-3 years and generally alright for the price
experience with toshiba: why is it still alive?

And HGST is king of reliability as usual.
Why buy anything else?

7200 rpm hard drives are outdated now that solid state is cheap 5400 is better for bulk storage

and that's why you load up with 3TB drives kids

fpbp

Just look on fail rates you dickheads.
They're available online.

What race is he?

afro-mexican

Fuck Seagate. Two of their 3TB drives died on me after just under 4 years. Those failure rate stats weren't a meme. I just got a 6TB WD Black to replace them.

I use both WD and Seagate. Keep them cool (40c and under) and keep backups of your data. You'll be fine then. On another wholly different thing; use ZFS or REFS if you care about that data still being error free in 5 or ten years. Yeah backups are great but if they contain "bad" data what good are they? Some say keep several copies to mitigate that risk. I say do that but it would be far easier to just nip that risk in the bud at the source. That way each backup copy contains "good" data.

So...American?

Simply epic.

You know the funny thing from my work it is actually WD that makes the shit drives.
Even the data recovery lab guy I know only buys Seagate and apparently has an insane hate for WD.

King is/was HGST.

Backblaze the company that tries to be professional but uses consumer grade deskto drives in its backend.

>masses buy popular brand
>masses handle popular brand poorly
>masses' poor handling of popular brand increases fail rates
what is critical analysis