Unity >>>>> Gnome

Unity >>>>> Gnome

Now that Ubuntu has done three Gnome releases, I can state with 100% confidence that Gnome sucks balls. It's the worst desktop environment of any operating system. I have never seen a desktop environment so retardedly dumbed down, so botched and so buggy.

If it wasn't for Canonical, Gnome wouldn't even have desktop icons. You wouldn't even be able to right click to create a file on the fucking file manager. It is basically a single bar with a wallpaper, and it manages to lag on an i5.

Unity is snappier, more polished and overall more "professional". What the fuck were the Ubuntu devs thinking when they chose to ditch it?

Attached: unity.jpg (750x400, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxuprising.com/2018/04/make-gnome-shell-more-like-unity-with.html
extensions.gnome.org/extension/1287/unite/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Deprecated >>>>>> DE standard
ftfy
And I disagree.

>What the fuck were the Ubuntu devs thinking when they chose to ditch it?
I sad the same thing about unity in the past. You just have to realize that Ubuntu is to GNU/Linux distributions what Windows is to OS. A bloated shit for people who can't into computers.

Why you would use anything other than Cinnamon, kde, or mate (in that order) is beyond me.

>Not using kde neon

Attached: FAD0805A-F8C9-4137-A763-AFA34B8F5B50.png (500x375, 295K)

IBM/Redhat put their greedy feet on everything.
Systemd, NetworkManager, gtk, GNOME, etc.
I bet they bullied canonical like they bully everyone else into adopting their shit standards.

>kde
That's something I don't understand. If they needed to stop the development of Unity, why the fuck didn't they choose KDE?

You mean KDE, XFCE or a WM. In that order.

For the same reason KDE stopped being OpenSUSE's default DE.
GNOME has gotten worse and KDE better but Redhat embraced Microsoft's "embrace extend extinguish" plan.

It's a disorganized mess. So basically we have control-freak Gnome, and scatter-brained KDE. Pick one,and learn to like it. Being mad about it is only hurting you. The devs obviously don't give a fuck.

> pee >>>>> poo

What the fuck were they thinking creating yet another fucking DE? Oh right implementing their Amazon botnet. Unity was dogshit and you are seriously brain damaged if you think otherwise. You can think whatever about gnome, I like it as much KDE. But Unity was just WRONG.

>I have no fucking taste: the post
Cringe

this

What are the benefits to using kde over xfce and vice versa?

I'm thinking of giving a shot at kde, but would like to know what you're actually getting when using it, and whether it actually makes a difference.

>What the fuck were they thinking creating yet another fucking DE? Oh right implementing their Amazon botnet
Yes, I'm sure they needed to create a new desktop environment in order to put an Amazon ad. Fucking brainlet lmfao

>and scatter-brained KDE
KDE is nice.
The amount of options is overwhelming, but they are all optional, even the OOB experience is nice.

Search button, transparency, customize workspaces like a neet. That's it

Has anyone succeeded at making Gnome look like Unity? I fucking loved Unity with it's workspaces.

Attached: 31789370.jpg (700x700, 54K)

Gnome is fine desu. Other DEs have other problems.

>KDE
>Screen tearing seemingly unfixable
>no way to adjust mouse sensitivity
>horrible resource hogs in background (baloo)
>multimonitor issues, panel not showing up
>krashes

Meanwhile gnome works properly OOB.

>use gnome
>want to put some icons on the desktop
>gnome no longer allows icons on the desktop
>switch to KDE
>it's like windows but not shit
and they lived happily ever after

I miss Unity. Gnome is definitely worse right now, but I think they're going in the right direction with the performance improvements with new versions.

Mint with Cinnamon is top comfy though, and you still get all the benefits of Ubuntu.

openSUSE for a long while never had a default DE, it was always the 3-way choice + extra drop down for the rest, but I get what you're saying 100% regardless

True. Went back to 16.04 for this reason

>he doesn't spend dozen of hours patching and configuring dwm to have an optimal workflow with minimal weight on the system

Attached: 1541585054225.png (478x523, 14K)

linuxuprising.com/2018/04/make-gnome-shell-more-like-unity-with.html
Enjoy,ladies.

It's just not the same...

Attached: Unity.jpg (662x1024, 55K)

Tried this back when they forced gnome on me. Unity was literally perfect. The only thing I still wanted from it was different backgrounds for desktop and lock screen.
I'm on kde now and adjusted it to be as similar to unity as possible, but it just isn't the same lads

You can install Unity on 18.04. I installed Ubuntu minimal on my machine (without a DE) and then installed ubuntu-unity-desktop on it. It works like a champ.

I tried this, albeit with ubuntu gnome as a base. Unity was missing most of its options and I couldn't even set my track pad to use tap to click. After it started keeping my gpu on all of the time when using my Intel graphics I switched to fedora with kde

>What the fuck were the Ubuntu devs thinking when they chose to ditch it?
Money,

>I couldn't even set my track pad to use tap to click
That's because Unity needs xserver-xorg-input-synaptics for the touchpad, while Gnome has ditched it. You just have to install it and it will start working after you restart your session.

I don't know what other options could be missing, but they were probably moved to the unity-tweak-tool app.

Kde > xfce > mate > cinnamon >>> unity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gnome

For what I know it can happen in every DE.
In Plasma case it seems more related with Nvidia hardware and there's simple ways to fix this.

>no way to adjust mouse sensitivity
There's a way, it's just kinda of bad.
But this will be "fixed" soon, there's an update already scheduled to improve this.

>horrible resource hogs in background (baloo)
It's just a service that may cause problems. Out of the box it comes disabled and the development team knows about the problems, they're putting work on fixing this for months.

>multimonitor issues, panel not showing up
Don't know.

>krashes
With each passing this it gets more embarrassing seeing people parroting this.

Righto. It's been a while so i don't really remember that much. I've gotten comfy on fedora but I might switch again since it's now owned by (((IBM)))
Basically gonna roll a die to choose from arch, gentoo, and debian. Hoping I get debian desu

just install mini.iso and ubuntu-unity-desktop user it's not that hard

KDE can be so much more
I had exactly the opposite experience on GNOME but my notebook is a potato with nvidia legacy drivers.
Never had a crash since 2017 on this device.
Thanks to proper configuration of KWin and Xorg, not even my Firefox tears anymore.
KDE runs fast and doesn't lag, not even with CPU throtteled to 1.86ghz on battery.
Included apps and file manager respond to touchpad gestures from mtrack (swipe to navigate folders), this is not the case on all DEs.

Attached: screen.png (1280x800, 940K)

I actually agree, gnome can fuck off

>click the search icon in the top left
>pc crashes
every time this bloated hunk of shit

>>no way to adjust mouse sensitivity
? pointer acceleration works for me

Xfce > Unity > Gnome

I switched from Neon to Devuan when the distro upgrade broke my shit. Devuan is stable as fuck so far, but I really miss KDE (using i3 now) and I miss wayland, too.

I still use it. DGAF what others say.

no de > any de

extensions.gnome.org/extension/1287/unite/

>muh desktop icons
Learn to use the filemanager you fucking retard.

Works and runs well on my mobile i5 from 2012. You probably have a shit computer.

No tearing here, I'm using Intel though.

Gnome STILL has no fractional dpi scaling in Ubuntu 18.04 while Unity has had it forever. I’m just glad 16.04 is still being supported for a few more years.

Cinnamon is bugcity and has 3-4 people working on it part time.
Might as well use HURD as your kernel to go with it.

KDE still has that shitty bug where I can't set bold fonts in the terminal. Annoying as fuck.

whats that pacman ghost up there?

Any alternatives to Arc Menu that have a working right ckick menu on start menu icons?

Cinamon is almost non supported and leaks memory.
Kde mate or a plain wm are your choices

They bullied debian and canonical just followed upstream. Cucks.

Gnome has a docker extension if you need pretty picture to be on your desktop. Just search for the name is the better way to do it, opening applications is what gnome gets right. The problem with gnome is that it's slow bloated javascript garbage, the bars around windows and at the top take up way too much space. and the windows float. Unity was even more garbage than gnome.

>he doesn't copy somebody else's i3 config and have an optimal work flow with minimal weight on the system all without spending any time patching or configuring it

>search
>transparency
Both by default available on Xfce.

something 5x greater than dogshit is just a bigger pile of dogshit

Octopi package manager.

Seems to be fixed on upstream. I can set bold terminal fonts no problem.

Lxqt > xfce > kde POWER GAP >unity EXTREME POWER GAP >gnome