No maximize and minimize buttons

>no maximize and minimize buttons
>no desktop icons
>no ability to right click to create a fucking file on the file manager
>tablet UI
>useless hybrid of a fullscreen start menu and "activity" launcher
>buggy

I hate Gnome so fucking much. It's basically a single dock with a wallpaper and it manages to need 2GB of RAM and lag like fuck.

Attached: gnome.png (600x446, 204K)

Attached: kde_myself.jpg (934x524, 63K)

>complaining about lack of UI functionalities on a terminal/command-line-based OS
>unironically using GNOME

Attached: 1506346903480s.jpg (125x70, 2K)

it's called MATE now, op
i don't know what junk that is in your screenshot

Stop being retarded. What about OP's post makes you think he uses gnome? He's bitching because gnome is so bad it's not even an option.

Attached: endsieg.jpg (934x524, 123K)

>what about OP's post makes you think he uses gnome?
Why would he complain about it if he didn't use it?

now you're just being ridiculous, nobody actually uses gnome3

Ordinary people usually don't complain about software they have never used

What the fuck are you talking about?
> you can enable maximize and minimize with gnome tweaks
> you create "template"-files in "~/.templates" and then you can right click -> new file -> blah
> there probably are extensions that replace the dash board

Not telling you that it's the best DE, just telling you to stop talking bullshit

>Having to install an app in order to enable window buttons
top kek

Or to properly set wallpapers, or manage your (useless & buggy) JS extensions.

Joke DE.

Unity works still fine. Gnome-Shell and many Gnome applications are slow and/or horribly buggy.

You are able to enable them via basic command but hey you are one of these dumb users, aren't you?

Imagine actually defending having to enable window buttons yourself because you feel like a haxxor doing it. LMFAO

No, that's just how they decided to design the DE

Not everything goes your way.

>No, that's just how they decided to design the DE
>Not everything goes your way.

Attached: pqafkb6d9ba01.jpg (640x723, 50K)

I guess I'm talking against a wall..

Didn't know that some people actually try to be such dumb fucks on here for real

>Over the past few months we’ve had a lively debate about “cursor movement” in GNOME, and how it affects our ecosystem. In this discussion I’ve found that there is a divide between people who design and/or develop apps, and people who don’t. I have yet to see an app developer who thinks the current approach to “cursor movement” can work, while many people who aren’t app developers are arguing that it can.

>After a few long discussions I started to realise that part of the reason why there’s so little agreement and so much drama around this issue is that we don’t agree what the problem is. Those who don’t work on apps often can’t see the issues with being able to change the cursor's position using the mouse and think we want to remove things for no reason, while those who do are very frustrated that the other side doesn’t want to acknowledge how broken everything is.

>The basic issue we’re arguing about is whether it’s possible to move the mouse cusros, at scale, without breaking the applications. In this post I’ll try to explain why I think that it isn’t possible, and why trying to do it is hurting our ecosystem.

>tl;dr: If you want to change the mouse cursor's position, you need a hardware designer in the loop.

Attached: 1521052513015.jpg (1170x836, 298K)

This is the same as Firefox and the fact that you can't have it open a homepage when you open a new tab. Who are they to restrict what I want? They even removed it from the config console to prevent people from hacking around it. Now they just say "oh there is an add-on for it". Well screw them, and screw GNOME. Left it when it became GNOME3, never looked back.

I would still be using it if they allowed desktop icons. Now I'm on LXqt and my system idles at 200mb of RAM.

the absolute state

Attached: footfags.gif (320x240, 1.84M)

>So gnome will remove support of changing cursor position? Finally! I've been struggling with my mouse changing this shitty cursor position all over the screen when I accidentally touch it! Previously I had to turn mouse off (just think about it! it's insanity!) but hopefully soon I'll never experience such problem anymore

Attached: soy.png (620x430, 151K)

Yeah sure I know what you mean

But the command or the gnome tweak tool (which is basically a GUI for these commands) are both part of the GNOME project, so it's technically still part of the DE

He/You complain(s) about not being able to create new files and creating templates is too hard? Well with his "logic" it's an external app which isn't part of GNOME, so that's not a problem with the DE I guess, right?

Whatever man I don't get the problem with customizing your OS when almost every linux user I see always has some highly configured i3 environment or KDE or some shit

This is getting ridiculous I'm out of here

You can just drag the window up and down, or use the keyboard controls, meta plus up or down. Is redundant having also buttons for that and is not like I use them much

who cares. it's been like this for 7 years and you people are still complaining about the same shit over and over again. I'm not with gnome on anything they're doing especially coding in js but there is literally nothing new said in any gnome hate thread. just use a better DE/WM and ignore the foot
that's fucking hot user

I don't know what Gnome is or does, sorry.

Attached: Linux DEs.jpg (677x1400, 199K)

I absolutely need the source of this.

>7 years
>still couldn't fix it
>wonder why people complain

the gnome devs have their mind set on making useless applications. taking away features, and just turning their desktop into a toy and it's obvious that they're never going to change due to how much shit they ignore daily. I used to also constantly complain about them but then I just eventually stopped caring and ditched it

>7
Try doubling that number.

Attached: file.png (1025x443, 69K)

kek

she's pretty cute
but why did she lick her foot?

that's how I felt when I started using it, but it works pretty well once you get used to it. I won't go back to a traditional windows style desktop if I can help it. you're right that it is pretty poorly implemented and that it can require a bit of tweaking before it's usable. touch ~/Templates/Empty will add an option to create an empty file in a directory.

>he doesn't know about gnome-tweak-tool
>bitching because you can't use a computer properly

if you used your computer properly you would've installed a better desktop

I've been using Gnome for a few weeks now just to see how terrible it is nowadays. Apart from the usual complaints I found some really bizarre issues like context menus opening detached from the mouse cursor and the mouse cursor seemingly being shifted to the side in text entry fields baking selection of text annoying as hell. I've never seen shit like this in any other DE and this isn't even using Wayland.

Attached: 1542713244157.gif (490x270, 498K)

>Apart from the usual complaints I found some really bizarre issues like context menus opening detached from the mouse cursor and the mouse cursor seemingly being shifted to the side in text entry fields baking selection of text annoying as hell.
Gnome devs: NOTABUGWONTFIX

I don't know what these bugs are or do, sorry.

Let's not forget
>GNOME pushes for touch screens
>the default browser, Firefox, doesn't support touch input on GNOME

>I have babyduck syndrome x5
Go use a windows clone like cinnamon or KDE then.

DESU the only ones complaining about gnome are windowsfags who use a gaming mouse

>the only ones complaining about GNOME
GNOME is a slow, buggy and unconfigurable piece of shit. Are you a GNOME dev? Only GNOME devs like GNOME.

Also Linus and literally every single professional distro.

>distros are people
>Linus opinion is relevant for desktops

>why are people complaining about things they don't use reeeeeeeeeeee
Do you know where you are?

I'm just a student, KDE doesn't have OOB keybinds and is too cluttered. I almost feel like on windows using that shit. Mate is second best (to gnome3). Xfce Is dogshit. LXDE is my third for a Celeron or pre iX Intel. i3 would be okay if I knew some GUI applets for volume and backlight, for keyboard layouts there's something called ibus or something like that.
And
It werks OOB, if you are so poor you don't have hardware acceleration then turn off 3d animations on gnome-tweaks

Distros decisions are made by groups of people who unanimously decided that Gnome is the best and should be the default. Redhat decided that it isn't even going to bother support the mess that is KDE anymore.

you must be a gnome dev

>>no ability to right click to create a fucking file on the file manager
Go back to windows if you want to use your mouse.

No just someone with functioning eyes that leave me with very few DE choices.

You do know that RHEL doesn't even use Gnome Shell, right? It's all Gnome Classic. So with that stupid argument you can take your "modern" desktop and fuck off.

fine. I actually like the gnome workflow, I love dynamic desktops but the stuff under the hood pisses me off to no end. gnome would be a lot more lightweight and faster if they didn't use javascript for a large portion of it's code and I would really like it if they didn't depend on systemd but nope and now it's a fucking bloated mess with many bugs left unpatched

>>no maximize and minimize buttons
I have, go into gnome-tweak-tool and activate it.
>>no desktop icons
Out of the box, also see gnome-tweak-tool, maybe you deactivated it.
>>no ability to right click to create a fucking file on the file manager
Why not? Nautilus lets you do this. You have a "templates" folder in your home directory, just insert some files with the extensions you want and there you go.
>>tablet UI
I would not use that on a tablet, really.
>>useless hybrid of a fullscreen start menu and "activity" launcher
I deactivated this.
>>buggy
Didn't find any bugs but that one memory thing wasn't good last time. I'll give you this. Are there other bugs?

you actually do not need to install the app. If you prefer you can also activate it through commandline, but since you seem pretty stupid I suggested a GUI for this.

Jeesus fuck. How can you write that whole thing without looking at yourself from a 3rd person view and realize you need to quit your current life and start over?

If you like the workflow try some lightweight WM. Configured right you get the exact same functionality at a fraction of the resource usage.

>Why would he complain about it if he didn't use it

Attached: 1386457449524.png (235x279, 73K)

>Hurr just spend hours reading online how to set up basic functionality on a windows manager to feel hacker

I used almost every single window manager and I just settled on KDE. it's also pretty bloated but it just works fine and it runs how gnome should be running if it wasn't coded in mostly javascript

window managers are pretty easy to setup and use especially i3

RHEL 8 beta is pure gnome shell.

It takes about an hour if you have half a brain and don't use FVWM or something like DWM. You make up for this time by having a workflow that is perfecty suited to what you want/need.

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone in the first world in 2018 is so resource constrained that they can't run a full-featured DE on their computer still.

they pretend to be like Apple but targeting African children.

Lets make , everything wrong with Gnome

>logo
>broken template system
>pseudo javascript files that have hard coded options needed to customize your machine
>title bars to big
>huge memory consumption
>designed for phone and tablets but has no proper touch functionality
>designed for phones and tables but their main demographic is desktop users
>broken app system
>bad integration with existing tools
>no proper method to disable unneeded services running in the background
>bloated

must be forgetting something.
So im a Linux user but if someone forces me to chose between gnome and windows 10 i just cut main veins

gnome runs like shit for all the wrong reasons

>full-featured DE
>Gnome

Attached: tumblr_nwumdympK21udwanoo1_1280.jpg (1280x720, 38K)

>gnome and windows 10 i just cut main veins
Gnome is shit, but it's still better shit that windows 10.

i3's configuration isn't discoverable at all. Yes you can pull up the man file for rc file parameters and accepted values and search through the website for keybindings and scripts for additional widgets etc and edit config files and restart the wm several times until you get it looking like you want; after that you'll still be manually configuring outside stuff like IMEs and gtk theming by way of other applications outside the WM which have their own separate standalone utilities and config files.

Or you could just use a DE that integrates anything you'd plausibly need as a basic desktop utility and doesn't ask for any investment in time in researching petty cosmetic things that are a waste of time to commit to memory and go off to do real work.

Works fine on my machine, are there any actual benchmarks for the "GNOME is bloated" meme?

>>no proper method to disable unneeded services running in the background
please tell me which ones these are. I liked to dig deeper here and see if I can find a solution. I am on gnome for like 3 months now and didn't see any unneeded backgroundservices.
also this:
apt-get purge packagekit gnome-software gnome-online-accounts reportbug

I never use these things. When I want to install something, it's apt for me.

>no maximize and minimize buttons
>no desktop icons
And it's fucking good thing. The desktop metaphor is retarded.

Yes. Just have a look of the load average when doing nothing.

to add to this:
apt-get purge evolution
apt-get autoremove
rm -rf /var/cache/PackageKit
rm -rf /etc/xdg/autostart/evolution-alarm-notify.desktop

Beware: Removing evolution just removes that emailthing and not the whole evolution engine (this actually happened in the past for real and was really bad).

What exactly am I looking for here?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-24 16-14-34.png (954x839, 238K)

Opens two terminal and just wait. The loadavg should drop to 0.

M8, I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 with Unity. At startup, I opened the system monitor, and it was using something like 600MB of RAM. Fucking UNITY, one of the most bloated desktop environments.

I installed the same Ubuntu version with Gnome on the same computer, did the same, and saw that it was using 2 FUCKING GB OF RAM.

Gnome = Dogshit

>Y this no like windoze by default me need more pretty pictures

Attached: 1536895596057.png (324x362, 45K)

I've had five terminal windows open for the past two weeks.

Firefox does support touch, it just doesn't have scrolling. You can add it with the drag and drop add on.

hurr Ubuntu is gnome, retard.
This is what I get with two mpv 1080p videos, 2 gimp instances, 10 firefox tabs, telegram and torrent client. Kys.

Attached: penis.png (1600x900, 2.06M)

I barely have more than a half gig from gnome-related processes.

Yeah Gnome can be debloated if you try. But then it's still far heavier than any other DE debloated.

>hurr Ubuntu is gnome, retard.
I installed Ubuntu minimal and then chose Unity as the DE, mouthbreathing retard.

not him but
>unity
that's literally the second worst DE out there. lumina is fucking better than unity

I've seen some autistic efforts to get it down to 200MB though

There's no 'debloating' involved. I've done nothing but add extensions to GNOME and I have around the same overall memory usage as him on fedora with 30 tabs open in firefox.

No it's just literal autists crying about 600MB of RAM usage before they open up 5GB of web content.

Show it.

Nigga a default install of Fedora uses at least 1gb.

>OH NO HE'S USING ALMOST 2GB OF RAM USING HIS COMPUTER HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE TO BE SO BLOATED
and my Wh usage still under 10W with gnome, the same with i3. The only difference is ram usage which is autistic, I would care if my battery said complained

Attached: okay retard.png (1600x900, 576K)

Not true at all, Unity is a fine DE.

Gnome

man i3

open a terminal and type ps, you will see tons of process some are needed others are there for gnome meme tools that need to cache info.
then you have services running at boot time like for example the one responsible to check your default folders, very worthless if you ask me, i prefer to put user space programs at the user init and they should run when i log in.

Xfce > KDE > literal shit > GNOME
I literally tested all 3 DEs on a laptop and GNOME was unusable as fuck. it's so fucking slow and poorly optimized. If your OS needs a fucking dedicated GPU and 8GB RAM to not lag then it's shit. Even the fucking app menu lags with nothing else opened.

>If your DE needs a fucking dedicated GPU and 8GB RAM to not lag then it's shit. Even the fucking app menu lags with nothing else opened.

Fixed that for you.

The whole GPU crap with Gnome3 is precisely what turned me off to it. I now use MATE or KDE if I need a full blown desktop.

seriosly what kind of SUPERCOMPUTER has 8GB of RAM in 2018?????

Why are Gnome fanboys so retarded? You keep trying to rationalize all this stupid shit. I wish I was as good at actual gimnastics as you are at mental gimnastics.

Even fucking Windows runs well on a computer with 2GB of RAM. How can a serious and supposedly professional DE lag on a computer with 4GB of RAM and an i5?

Runs fine here.

Attached: muh_bloat.png (1919x1075, 1.11M)

It doesn't. I'm running it right now and I've posted my htop already in this thread, it's using ~600MB. You don't use gnome and you're mindlessly parroting other people's memes.

I'm actually pretty ok with this IF you'd switch places with lxqt and xfce