Should I get a 12TB NAS for 400$?

Should I get a 12TB NAS for 400$?

I never had one and think about getting one for backup purposes.

Attached: 160218161346600701900006R.jpg (1000x1000, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R510-Server-1x-Xeon-2-67-GHz-Six-Core-8GB-S300-4-Tray-2x-PSU-/302965274190
bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-with-32gb-easystore-usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669
flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAA3N4SP2188
youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Meh

guess I have to live in the danger zone and hope my drive never dies.

Submit to the cloud.

That's like one drive?. just get one drive and a dock (or a external) and avoid paying the $300 overhead.

12TB max cap or does it actually have 12TB ready for use?
If it has parity or redundancy, that price might be better than buying a couple of hard drives for parity or 2 for redundancy (depending on HDD prices in your area).

it has two WD red 6TB in it

>zero redundancy

Attached: shiggy.gif (320x180, 2.38M)

if you care about backups then you can do a raid 1 setup for far cheaper.

Like said, no redundancy means you're SOL when a drive pops.
If you can set the appliance to mirror the drives, then it can be cost effective versus buying two bare 6tb drives (again, depending on your regional prices).
Otherwise, think of a different solution for your data protection needs.
If you're sporting windows greater than 7, you can always buy bare drives and throw them in a storage pool and mirror or put them in parity.

But I do get a quality product with the WD reds, and one 6TB alone costs 200$ around here.

>Like said, no redundancy means you're SOL when a drive pops.
Don't know what SOL means, but in a raid1 I still have the other drive?

Test

shit out of luck. a drive dies and your data is gone. you might be able to figure it to mirror but then you only get 6TB usable.

the only civilized thing to do is get a cheap 2U/4U server with ECC RAM off ebay and load it with drives to use with freenas in ZFS raid.

like an R510
ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R510-Server-1x-Xeon-2-67-GHz-Six-Core-8GB-S300-4-Tray-2x-PSU-/302965274190

I've had a couple WD externals crap out on me. I wouldn't do it. I don't like their drives but won't call them crap. I will suggest that their enclosures will fuck up your drive/data though.

Are prebuilt NAS any good if I want something tiny and quiet to run my 4*8TB?

as long as it's built well and isn't saddled with spyware, why not

Just get two of these and spend the extra 40 on a decent hard drive enclosure
bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-with-32gb-easystore-usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669

>backup purposes.
how much aws or google vps service taking for 12TB?

How to Fix Output Output Problems in USB?
>things that i tyr
>wizzard partition
>eacus something...
>diskpart all the relevent commands
>after that move to ubuntu
>disks
>gparted
>dd command
>shred command

none of that shit work sombody have a solid answer?

thank you fagots :)

Attached: unlock.png (800x600, 10K)

flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAA3N4SP2188

No idea how good this is, but it's as cheap as I've ever seen for 4 bays.

Listen to You need OpenZFS, ECC is optional, but highly recommended

If you care about actually storing data, Joe Shmo's RAID solution ain't gonna cut it; he might go out of business, sell his company, or just refuse to help you repair your array.
You need to use OpenZFS; no matter what happens, there will always be ZFS nerds willing to keep the software running, anything else is just asking for trouble.

Just look at what happened to GN
youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU
If it can happen to techjesus, it can happen to you.