Is it really worth spending $350+ for a DAC, AMP, and headphones when I can just headphones for like $90...

is it really worth spending $350+ for a DAC, AMP, and headphones when I can just headphones for like $90? Is there really that much of a jump in audio quality?

Attached: gsx 1000.jpg (640x480, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

klipsch.com/products/r-51m-bookshelf-speaker
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In a word: no.

It depends on the headphones and how good the amp is on the device you are using to power them. Good headphones usually require a good amp. There are exceptions of course like everything. But if you want those cans to sound well rounded a decent amp is a must.
For instance. I have an OK microphone (Audio Technica AT2005USB). It merely sounds 'OK' connected via USB. I went and looked on Youtube because I felt it was not delivering as it could/should. I listened to example of the mic using both USB and the XLR connector it has connected to a good mixing console with a quality preamp. The difference is night and day. The USB connection sounds weedy and shrill. The XLR connection through a good preamp sounds full bodied and lively.
Everyone can make do with average the post. It's not even about money.

No , you should spend 20k on snake oil and act superior. If anyone says anything against it, your response should be "wut? A r u poor? Ooga booga, me gots shiny trinkets, me ruch, hurt durr"
Rinse and repeat. You are not worthy of superior sound if you don't spend at least million on it.
"350 bucks". Die you dumb pleb

Just get a old/cheap digital amp that what I use for my headphones

Worth is relative. If your headphones/speakers are good enough then yes. Only buy dacs that were measured by third party and turned out to be worth money.
If you are using $90 headphones then its for sure not a good idea to drop $350 on dac+amp, at most get something like fiio e10k which is dirt cheap and measures well.

>this
There are plenty of cheaper options for getting the same or better sounding audio. Do some research. You could probably buy a decent used amp/knock off DAC with decent components if you look around.

And be a mere peasant? Like you?
No, anything under 15k for a headphones is pleb tier.
You don't know that cuz u poor.
Supreme sound from barely mediocre bands, fuck yah!

Sound is subjective. Richfag 'audiophiles' chase dragons and are deluded.

Hello sour grapes poorfag. Get a job.

This is often a bad idea. There is plenty of nice, retro units that look nice and seem good but are not.
Its better to buy something like topping d10 for $70 and have guarantee of having a good dac than playing lottery with some old shit.

How is spending 500-1k+ on a good amp peasant you fucking stupid moron? Nobody has run soundcards in their pcs since the late 00s and most cunts run expensive dacs with better amps that cost 10-100x more thwb your shitty soundcard
I have 5+ on the shelf I never use

No to both questions.

Even if you enjoy having a knob on an amp that does a good job at making sound signals stronger, it's not like you can't do pretty well with some rather cheap amp off Ali. You can even add the headphones and still be a good bit under $90.

Trash-fi and other audiophile [marketing susceptible] places that rarely pass any sort of testing won't stroke your dick, though.

>Hello sour grapes poorfag. Get a job.

I have a job poorfag, and I haul 15kg of copper only on my headphones to get a crystal clear sound.

You will never be my lvl so stop projecting and get payed properly since you have a job.
Tell micky D how much burgers you flip.
You are trying to be in big boy league.
Nigga inch of every cable I bought worth 1000$.

A good piece of audio equipment will always be good and probably cheaper to boot. The only exception is when their is deterioration in the components but if it is decent to begin with it should still be good. The other exception is one of standardisation. When connections change etc (nobody is buying 8 tracks anymore). Oh and form factor (new shit gets smaller).
You can buy some great hardware if you are willing to look for a great price.

Can you English poorfag?

>cheap amp off ali
Majority of chi-fi is complete shit. Topping, aune, fiio are basically the only brands that make good chifi. Boutique chink audio companies are especially bad. Right now the best price/perfomance amp is actually western made jds labs atom.

Million dollar audiophiles are retarded but $350 for a headphone setup is reasonable if you care about audio. If you don't care then it's not.

True. If you can't spend at least a million on mid-tier sound system you should kys.
Peasants will never know how real sound system feels.
Fuck them

>spend 20$ on an Asus Xonar soundcard or some cheap DAC
>Spend 60$ on the great Superlux HD658
>have an actually great sound for less than 100$

Enjoy your tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss faggots.

>reasonable
Kill self u poor fag. My one cable costs more than killing your entire family

I have given you the response you deserve

Attached: 1533322299959.png (1087x979, 200K)

Actually, its not actually great, but glad you are having fun. Entry level shitphones like those superluxes only sound good as long as you dont try something like hd600.

>buying an amp for $90 headphones
Almost certainly a waste. Cheap headphones are made specifically to be used with cheap equipment, the difference in audio quality (if there is any) will be nigh undetectable.
If you can hear background noise from your source, you need a DAC.
If your headphones don't get loud enough without audible distortion, you need an amp.
If neither of these two things is relevant to you then you would just be wasting money.

>hd600
You don't seriousy mean the Sennhiser HD don't you?

I got the superlux after the sennheiser broke down and it was like discovering a whole new level.

the one you posted is shit.

But from my perspective almost never unless you are shilling big moneys for headphones and sometimes even then they work fine with your onboard audio.

>Almost certainly a waste. Cheap headphones are made specifically to be used with cheap equipment
Who told you this bullshit? Cheap headphones usually have low impedance drivers which are terrible fit with high output impedance integrated sound cards (which are all of them pretty much). The reason why you should only buy stuff like dacs is due to the fact that money is always better invested in better headphones, not because better source will be worse for cheap headphones (it wont). Please dont spread misinformation if you are clueless.

So, no?
First lrn 2 English, then don't be poor.
After that get yourself some prime equipment.
You are welcome.

Yeah. Cool, please dont compare whatever bottom of line sennheiser shitphones you had to hd600. And no, you didnt own hd600.

Did you came like the first time you showed that girthy BD dildo in your hungry ass.
Greentext

Yeah, but there's significant diminishing returns. Just depends on how important audio is to you.

>not because better source will be worse for cheap headphones (it wont).
Please point to where I said that. Oh wait, you can't.
Everything sub $500 is cheap. The much beloved HD600 and others in its class tend to be high impedance so as to avoid compatibility problems with cheap source gear which do indeed have high output impedance.
Until you break into proper "hifi" shit it really doesn't matter unless what you're using is so awful as to cause the problems stated in my original post.
If this logic doesn't follow through with absolute poorfag-tier gear like sub-$100 headphones then I suppose to that extent I was mistaken.

hi sbaf

Attached: 1541917029666.png (500x500, 351K)

>Please point to where I said that.
I already specifically quoted the part where.

>The much beloved HD600 and others in its class tend to be high impedance so as to avoid compatibility problems
And again you are wrong because even 300ohm headphones dont have impedance high enough to deal with problems coming from 70-100ohm output. Although its less of an issue than when using 32ohm headphones.

You're not worthy of sound, period, if you don't spend at least $500+ on headphones.

I bow to u based audiophile

>I already specifically quoted the part where.
What you have claimed I stated does not logically follow what you have quoted. Cheap headphones are made to be used with cheap sources. This does not mean better sources will sound worse, just that there is intentional compatibility between these two things. Anything else is projection on your part.

Buy more Schiit, you haven't heard enough plankton to reach true audio enlightenment.

No, you are full of shit. Good source will have less distortion, noise, jitter, lower output impedance, more power. You name it. Any kind of headphones or speakers will sound better out of better source, including $1 shitphones.
The problem is that $1 shitphones sound so bad to begin with that there is no point investing into source.
There is no special synergy between shitphones and integrated soundcards, like you seem to claim.

>intentional compatibility
You put out a good signal and a shit speaker will still sound better than with a muddy output.

>The problem is that $1 shitphones sound so bad to begin with that there is no point investing into source.
Wow. You mean that:
>the difference in audio quality (if there is any) will be nigh undetectable.

True, but the end of the line still defines your "ceiling" so to speak. Think back to the last pair of cheap earbuds you used, particularly toward the end of their lifespan. They sounded tinny and hollow no matter what you plugged them into, right? Even if something sounds better it's not terribly worthwhile if it doesn't sound noticeably better, and basically all onboard audio is competent enough for it to not be worthwhile spending more at the low end.

That's not an argument for there being "compatibility" between devices.

>the difference in audio quality (if there is any) will be nigh undetectable.
Yes, but it will be still a diference, and a positive one. You made a claim that is factually wrong, stop defending it.

>Buying good tires for shit car is wrong, shit cars were made to be used with shit tires!
Do you see now how retarded your claim is?

Is your entire point of contention literally nothing but semantics?

>bad analogies
It's like I'm really on /v/. That is my original claim, and you're agreeing with it. You can't declare me to be wrong in the same sentence as you ceding the argument.

Asking for a coherent argument isn't semantics.

>It's like I'm really on /v/.
You should do me a favor and go back there Jow Forums.

I tried using analogy to explain this to you in simple way, but from what I see Im talking with massive brainlet.
Your original point was that cheap headphones are compatible with cheap source, this is wrong.

Well... They are compatible, obviously, but they aren't "designed" to be popular, which is what the guy you're replying to is saying. Nothing in this industry is designed for other products cross-company beyond standards. You don't have companies making shitty DACs saying "this is for your dollar store earbuds." That just doesn't happen.

So I have an amp, dac, and good headphones now, but where do I get high quality audio?

private trackers

The world would become a better place if everyone who owns headphones that cost over $50 would be killed off.

I'm currently using 80's Beyerdynamics DT880S (600ohm) with Asus maximus VIII integrated soundcard and from front panel outputs. So I'm not sure if they fancy headphone amp even works with this. Sound good anyway.

Plug it in directly to the soundcard/motherboard.

if you need a DI for other things, yes plug your headphones into it the difference is minimal but they sound a bit more accurate to the source for mixing.
if you don't need a DI for other things, no don't buy one just for headphones it's not worth it for the tiny difference it makes

I see a steinberg ci2 for 40 dollars .. does it support ganoo loonix?

>is it really worth spending $350+ for a DAC, AMP, and headphones when I can just headphones for like $90? Is there really that much of a jump in audio quality?
Get Sennheiser HD600 and you'll understand.

That dac is nice with games. The virtual surround is great imo. It wont disappoint you in music unless you are a audiophile.

So I picked these up
klipsch.com/products/r-51m-bookshelf-speaker
because they were a great price and my old trusty Logitech speakers I've had for almost 15 years have finally started to hiss and pop and die. My logitech speakers just had a green jack I plugged into the back of my computer though. How do I set up these new speakers with my computer? I'm going to need an AMP, but I don't know if I need an amp and a dac, or what models are good, etc.