/wdg/ - Web Development General

What's everybody working on?

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io
theodinproject.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A
(PHP guy: reply to the OP with a new link if you want the resources updated)

Attached: wdg_bayonette_laptop.gif (360x240, 914K)

Other urls found in this thread:

typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/functions.html#typing-the-function
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

anyone use Elixir with Phoenix? it's comfy af

>it's comfy af
why?
post some finished product

>What's everybody working on?

Learning Java EE and Spring.
I want to kill myself.

switch to asp.net core and c# if you can.

rails-like but lightning fast, elixir's fp is really nice (depending on who you ask), erlang is battle-tested and powers most all mobile messanging

nigga i said to post something you made yourself.
till then you're just a language jerkoff

you asked why i thought it was comfy
i can't post anything here without doxxing myself, but i just wanna hear others people's opinions

I would love to but I have to learn it for work.
I had some experience working with asp.net and I thought it would be the same, but it's really not. What a shit show.

Gonna make a language that acts as a bridge between the server and the client, pulling data from the server and dumping it as HTML for the client. Gonna call it P"H"P, the H standing for "(P)H(P)". Your thoughts /wdg/.

here, big news about combating SQL injection. Gonna escape the string you pass as a command to the database so it won't contain any potentially shit-creating characters in it.

I need a good test server to test out my posts for vue.js. I tried using googles firebase but I get a 405 error. I already set .read and .write to true but it still does not let me post into the database

any advice on what to do or a recommendation for something other than firebase would be appreciated

DELET THIS

There's mongodb atlas if you're using nosql. I'm assuming you are because you mentioned firebase.

THIS DATABASE IS ON FIREEEEE

Attached: alicia_keys_iheartradio_live_ny.jpg (768x433, 32K)

Are you fucking kidding me? You took my pic...and created this shit?

Attached: done.gif (360x240, 1.81M)

I'm using Ajax on my webpage.
Tell me why it's shit.

Are there even alternatives, assuming you aren't just talking about using xml?

why dont you do your own research lol

nothing is wrong with it

goddamnit...

Attached: IMG_0421.jpg (4032x3024, 2.19M)

topkek. Welp, just use it as a server now.

The whole distributed thing gives me a raging boner but I hate dialyzer so much. It makes me want to crawl in a hole and use nothing but Rust.

But that wouldn't be productive.

Attached: 1362527350908.jpg (640x480, 55K)

ey there people of Jow Forums, anyone knows a good place to search some jobs at an entree level?

So I have a replacement screen...somewhere. I found that old laptop in a dumpster of all places 7 years ago. It was in terrible shape and I painted it matte black. Then I stabbed it 5 years ago. I guess it would make for a good XP machine for shit that needs it.

Attached: facepalm.jpg (480x316, 27K)

is there some kind of boilerplate that will easily allow me to design a flowchart for a sort of guided approach to learning a complex subject?
i.e.
>"you want to learn how to do [x]"
>"do you fulfill this condition... then"
>"otherwise... do"
I figured you guys might already know of such a thing.

The only anything that unironically needs XP are CNC machines that communicate over the serial port, and that's only because they're run by crusty old faggots who don't know that breakout boards also come in USB and Ethernet flavors running on modern operating systems instead of just serial and parallel

To all of you using MSSQL also called SQL Server or T-SQL, can i use it with Visual Studio Code and not in Visual Studio itself or the managment tools for that SQL Server? I have almost no space left on my C:\ Drive and every fucking component needed to use them for visual studio and their managment studio needs a lot of space on C. So i just figured i'd install the mssql extension in Code and use that instead

Attached: 7e0109d69bbb70a1d6c840519304cc3d.jpg (480x800, 73K)

Delete your pagesys and hiberfil files.

Is there a site/way to have free SQL databeses in the cloud for testing/making projects for yourself like MongoDB allows with Mlab?

>a fucking tattoo near a fucking vagene
dropped

Just use localhost, a raspberry pi, or old computer/laptop.

What the fuck is thing graphQL i start to hear more about, i read about it a bit but i can't wrap my head around it. Could someone explain it to a brainlet?

Attached: 4212114214.png (1000x350, 34K)

looks like a bastard child of prolog and json

I'm doing the Odin Project curriculum. Anyone have experience with it?

Anyone knows of a easy to use php framework? 7+ preferably, as it's for a home project

Laravel is the new kid in the block. Easy to learn it's not even funny and even some companies are now asking for people with knowledge of Laravel

imagine that your's api endpoint can evaluate queries like a db and instead of having multiple endpoints you have just one. That's what graphql is made for

Ajax is generally not a bad thing in of itself. It's how it's used. There's plenty of use cases for Ajax that should/could be handled during page preprocessing rather than client side. For instance, from a enterprise web application point of view, you'll probably use some sort of paginated grid/table. Sure you could just load all 20,000 rows of data on the page and choke the user's browser or you could just load in a page at the time and ajax the pagination data. However, let's say you have a filterable list that wouldn't ever be too large. In this case, you would just preprocess the data onto the page and use some light javascript to filter client side. No real reason to be making additional requests for simple, flat, unchanging data.

Not sure if it's along the lines of what you're looking for but I use yEd for database/logic mapping.

Amazing, I've always wondered "why would anyone do this to that laptop".
Please explain.

I find it useless. It's just for people with no organisational skills to help them create consistent api endpoints lol

If you have just a little bit of brain, you can do it yourself much better and without overhead of mapping models to routes for getting GraphQL to work.

Why is everything in web development an 'API' and why do webdevs love "creating APIs" so much

if I hear Brad Traversy drawl the word 'API' in his thick Boston accent one more time I swear I'm going to pack my bag and move to Greenland to live off the fish

I'm trying to understand functions in javascript.

function calculateAge(birthYear){
return 2018 - birthYear;
}

function yearsUntilRetirement(year, firstName) {
var age = calculateAge(year);
var retirement = 65 - age;
if (retirement > 0) {
console.log(firstName + ' retires in ' + retirement + ' years.');
} else {
console.log(firstName + ' is already retired');
}
}

yearsUntilRetirement(1990, 'John');
yearsUntilRetirement(1948, 'Mike');
yearsUntilRetirement(1969, 'Jane');

From the little bit of example code with how functions were explained to me I was a little confused about one thing.

When stating the var age = calculateAge(year) part of the code in the second block, how does javascript put the link between the variable age and the year part of calculateAge ?

I'm asking this because the variable name in the second function is called year and the first one is called birthYear
Is it just something it does automatically since it's both a spot to place a variable ?

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I was just wondering how it would know that it needs to put that specific variable there since the variable placements are called differently.

because modern websites get rendered on frontend lol. the only interaction with the server is via API (to fetch data for rendering).

Also, most of the logic is on frontend too, that's why angular, react... are so popular.

well, you are injecting the variable YEAR into the calculateAge function where it is called BIRTHYEAR (it's just an alias name for the injected variable)

1) Everything in web development is separated and APIs are used to connect them together. (Front End to Back End, Site to site, etc.)
2) Executives and CEOs get an ego boost from using tech terms. Basically how everything is now an "app".

>When stating the var age = calculateAge(year) part of the code in the second block, how does javascript put the link between the variable age and the year part of calculateAge ?
It calls the function and returns the value. Walking through it step-by-step:

// Here is the code
// It takes 'year' from the parameter 'year' and that becomes the 'birthYear' argument in calculateAge
return 2018 - year;
// 2018 - year is returned, and so the resulting value is assigned to the variable 'age', for example with Mike:
var age = 28;

That will work. Check out SQL Server Management Studio. It may be to big for you, but it's smaller than VS.

>well, you are injecting the variable YEAR into the calculateAge function where it is called BIRTHYEAR (it's just an alias name for the injected variable)

So my first thought about it was correct, it's simply replacing the first variable (birthYear) for the second one (year) but keeping the function as it is.
I was just confused for a moment since the guy giving the explaination completely glossed over that and it just worked even though the variables were named differently.

So there are two different ways that programming languages pass variables to functions: pass by value and pass by reference. For now let's just deal with the first case.

When you call
yearsUntilRetirement(1990, 'John');
It executes the function yearsUntilRetirement and passes year the value 1990 and 'John' as firstname. After that it pretty much ctrl-fs and replaces all instances of year and firstName with those values, meaning.
looks like
var age = calculateAge(1990);
which in turn executes calculateAge passing the value 1990 as birthYear, which causes
return 2018 - birthYear;
to look like
return 2018 - 1990;

You should read a bit about variable scoping.

Writing functions in the values of an object literal in TypeScript, which is the correct way to state their return value's type?

'getDate': function() {
return '25th of March';
}

Or

'getDate': function(): any {
return '25th of March' as string;
}

typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/functions.html#typing-the-function

I started going this route and then I discovered node.
Save yourself from the pain, just embrace JS.

The "true" threads are not worth the pain.
Using locks which are basically a way to limit access to a something not atomic and wait until an operation is done by the holder of the lock is ... what makes it synchronous.
Good job Java.
I'm not even getting started on deadlocks and precedence negotiation in large applications.

Java is a beautiful language that requires you to over-engineer solutions that otherwise can solved by going in another direction.. Event loops for example :D
The idea is to "let shit run whenever/wherever and talk to me when the you are done or fucked up and bring along the result and I will do this other important shit while you're at it."

I hear too much about this "next rest" shit.
Gonna have to read up on that.

>Yet another meme

It's time to stop.

Can anyone help me clarify something, I want to make a mobile app + website, if I make the mobile app in React Native will that also work as the desktop website or do I need to separate the React Native site from the regular React site?

>variable scoping
Yeah this is probably what is confusing me a little.
I'll read up on it a bit more when I get the chance.
Thanks for giving it a name.

what would be the best variable naming convention for ajax variable that you send to your php
should those variables be var_name or varName when sending them to php and then renaming them in php to follow the php convention?

>Install VS Community on hard drive D
>Check space on the main hard drive C
>10 GB went away after install Visual Studio

Kill yourself, Microshit

Attached: 1541225819065.jpg (443x455, 96K)

GB went away after install Visual Studio
wew

Not clue about PHP, but generally your de-/serializer should take care of that.
If you use snake_case in your JS and PascalCase in your backend it should auto convert them.
So you send an object with a property current_date it should convert it to CurrentDate in your view model class.

Do you have such options somewhere?

GUUUUUUUUYYYYYSSSS

Help me choose an udemy course to buy please!

I already have the web development bootcamp from colt steel and a PHP/laravel/symphony one..
Help me choose a new one please..

>colt steel

What the fuck? sounds like an absolute chad.

Buy courses you're interested in, how hard is this?

I don't understand the installation for SQL server, someone help me, so i can either install it through Visual Studio or Standalone right? Or do i need both? Or what? Do i also need the manager if install it through Visual Studio?

Attached: 1538287055408.png (434x245, 189K)

Best library for interacting with databases using MySQL using Node: Objection or Sequelize?

Visual Studio only brings the data tools, so you can manage the server from it.
The SQL Server management studio is now an external application, it used to be bundled with the server.

So install SQL Server on its own (I run the Express version at work locally) and either manage it through visual studio by installing the tools or the standalone management studio.
I personally like the management studio more than doing things through visual studio.

if you're interested in javascript the one from that german guy is pretty good

Can I really make it with data analytics on upwork/.? I was considering learning wordpress but I've done 1 school course on pandas/pyspark/hadoop so I was wondering if I should do that instead. Seems pretty intimidating.

Anybody using elixir? Is it better than asp.net?

THE LEGEND HIMSELF

Attached: 1507223400665.jpg (672x704, 81K)

There actually was an issue with the screen at times so I was going to replace it. The Kirino thing was just a little excessive at the time so I decided to have a little fun.

It does not matter what you name the arguments when you define your function you could say niggerdingdong instead of year. It won't matter as long as you also pass niggerdingdong to calculateAge calculateAge(niggerdingdong); semantics of variable names don't matter here.

>What's everybody working on?

Getting an environment setup for my new app. Thinking of using Flutter this time instead of phonegap since it's pretty simple.

I get to do some cool geolocation Haversine optimization stuff and once that's done then I have a basis for several of my app ideas, all of which require me to determine the distance between the users phone and every coordinate in the DB.

I find geolocation exciting and wish I could make it my niche.

How about instead of shitting out HTML you have it shit out JSON and you can call it something fancy like an Application Programming Interface or API for short.

I'd go for that over programming. Everyone would rather hire pajeet and have their website held together with digital glue and a btc miner than pay more than 5 dollars an hour for programming.

Go for data science stuff.

People are saying that JS will die soon because of webAssembly and other similar technologies (which i haven't heard of but supposedly are there somewhere). Is this true? I honestly find this hard to believe seeing how fucking big is JS.

Attached: 68568686586848.jpg (1064x672, 491K)

You could be right. Then again, data science as a skill is pretty worthless. I can't imagine making anything substantial with that, in this day and age. Maybe in 25years. I am sticking with webdev.

In the last thread, some guy said he's practicing react for freelancing.. Why react? I've looked around the usual freelancing sites, and like 80% of the shit is related to wordpress. Am I wasting my time learning that shit? I already know basics of webdev...

it's nonsense. webassembly is a meme, and it's designed to work on top of javascript anyways.

I can't fucking make a decision on what to spend my time getting better at

Vue or React for frontend and node or symfony for backend learning

I have bits of experience in all of them and not sure what I want to spend my time on I would want really good resources for learning, i found a youtube channel called "coding garden with CJ" and liked his approach but he mainly does a lot of Vue.js but don't want to box myself into one resource

WASM is barely working right now and still has a very long way to go before it's actually useful in production. For now, it's just a gimmick.

Follow what the market wants and what you want.

follow the meme, react + node, but do vue + symfony on the side

I've also been noticing a trend for GraphQL/Apollo and Vue.js also

my workplace does use symfony and react although im not on those projects but don't want to feel like im doing work at home, you think react is here to stay?

>you think react is here to stay?
I doubt it, but I'm just a memer :^)

well im planning to learn something which i will probably spend at least 6 months on and by then i hope to leave my current job so trying to judge what would be interesting to learn

fuck it im just gonna learn vuejs cos it's comfy and graphql cos it's fresh and ive never touched it before

WHAT WENT WRONG?

Attached: 2gkBwy.png (996x510, 91K)

Right now I'm developing a backend that accesses a mysql database. I want the backend and database to run on different servers. What would be the right/better approach to access the database? Access the database directly/remotely or via SSL and "locally"?

Use Vagrant or Docker.

What difference does it make?

>checks job offers
>checks where vue is the most popular

Yikes

china adopted vue is what went wrong for vue

The big lie with react is that people use it for performance.
Bundle file increased 10x, and oh, you use node? Performance, lol.

People use react because it gives their js structure. If you
want to build even a medium sized (twitter) single page app,
you will have a hard time organizing your scripts. Most people
think this is javascript's fault. It isn't. Your code just needs
structure.

Okay, so we need to use classes? Wait, we need to build
the classes ourselves? With vanilla? Can you show me a tutorial?

React will disappear, the "performance" increase it gives you
is loltastic, because the actual appropriate usage of react
is something like an app that displays constantly updating grid of
stock prices, with attributes of boxes changing based on change
in price.

Vanilla js will be the new react two years from now. React is
really a programming pattern, less of a framework, if you
don't count the diffing/fiber algs

Vagrant is easier to setup but it's slower.
Docker has more things going on, but it's faster.

I would go with Docker, you'll be able to create as many containers as you need.

Whats your opinion on Python boys and girls

Attached: 823121853782513.gif (460x258, 1.64M)

is Jow Forums already perfect as many people say? or can it be improved?

what does this even mean

where is popular geographically or company wise?

>4mb file limit
>no sound on most boards with .webm
>Goes down every fucking month for no reason

You tell me

>what is the virtual DOM

Vue is for some reasons only popular with chinese and nowhere else

Ideally we'd run decentralized or federated and outsource moderation to the individual (this does not mean the users) in an unbiased way using trusted filter lists.