Are SSDs a meme?

Are SSDs a meme?

Attached: samsung_mz_76e2t0b_am_860_evo_2tb_internal_1382500.jpg (2500x2500, 718K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>60gb
>$200
yeah

hello 2011 :)

ps I miss you

No, but if you want to store anime in it you're retarded like this guy

Try 500gb for $73

I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB to replace a five year old failing hdd in my laptop. Shit's alright but not as good as Jow Forums seems to think they are. Boot times are much shorter but loading programs are only slightly faster.

I want to buy the cheapest QLC for storage purposes so I can get rid of my noisy HDD.

nigga wut. for 60-70 you can get a 500. You been in cryo stasis for like 8 years?

Attached: Cryostatis_Sleep_of_Reason.jpg (220x312, 19K)

being this out of date on a tech board.

This thread again

Attached: fishy_chan.png (800x600, 91K)

Why would they be?
The faster read and writes speeds are great and prices have come down a lot.

Tried to run anything off an HDD in the last five years, let alone boot a modern Windows OS? Try it sometime, it's funny. And by funny I mean narcoleptic.

@68643606
(Yo-

Old laptops, especially with budget dual-cores in many cases are CPU-limited. Still, faster storage does help.

Best drive I can get cyber Monday, SSD or HDD, for multimedia archival with high reliability and as cheap as I can get it for (in the case of SSDs small max writes is fine so long as the data on the SSD remains readable). Prioritize reliability over absolute cost though.

Also give me a heads up on whether I'm actually getting some kind of deal or if the drive in question is normally listed at X price and not discounted for cyber Monday.

There is no reason not to use one as a boot drive.

Just buy a bunch of old hard drives from ebay, reliability is a meme, redundancy and backups is the way to go

yea buy some old hard drives off Ebay lol

>$160 for 240gb SSD
Fuck this third world shithole

>cheaping out on a SSD

Attached: 1519688785084.jpg (306x306, 21K)

Is it at least NVME?

I
I store 95% of my photos, work programs, old college documents, etc. in the cloud. No need for local storage. Keep a 256GB of the latest and fastest SSD (970 m.2 at the moment) for my OS and games. The end.

Pic says it all. 860 Evo SSD and m.2 nvme are the same price. You can get a 1TB 860 EVO on Amazon in both formats, 2.5 and m.2 right now for 127 and some change

Attached: Screenshot_20181124-182016.png (1440x2560, 692K)

For Booting and general stuff SSD is the way to go. Use the fastest bus your mobo has (SATA II/III) to eliminate any bottle necks. For data storage HDD is way better option. When I switched from hdd to sdd I noticed a vast improvement in boot time and network data transfer rates from my pc to others on my lan. Shit loaded faster to.

860 is sata only I think. m2 is just a physical connector and m.2 drives can use the sata interface

>Use the fastest bus your mobo has
I don't think infinity fabric drives exist yet

Haha that would be too good.

Attached: Speccy.jpg (894x588, 262K)

yeah it's a dead dream along with fusion power

based amount of ram user

No, it's just fast persistent storage.

It's complimentary to things like even faster but not persistent RAM, and (especially in terms of IOPS much) slower but cheaper HDD storage.

Of course a normal or even minimalist Linux distribution won't have much trouble or delays working off a SSD. But those fucking update/boot/program loading times on Windows 10 or just actually having a lot of bit wrangling to do make a SSD worth it.

Yes. They come in both formats factors. Western digital makes them as well. We're selling fuck tons at the PC repair shop I work at. Upgrading everyone that comes in to faster storage if we notice them using a HDD. SSD is the future, and the future is today.

Attached: Screenshot_20181124-183301.png (1440x2560, 578K)

Why the fuck do you have an athlon with 32 GB RAM? Upgrade your processor christ

Kickin it oldschool
i mean this in the best of ways. Have an athlon 2x4 i use for emulation next to me for fun.

>picture contains the word "frustration"

Attached: 1528664765650.jpg (1100x947, 164K)

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB is only $127.98.

amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/

There's really no need. The only thing I do that even uses all 4 cores is the occasional video encode job. If time is a factor I'll just toss the video job on a spare headless tower and let it crunch the video while I do other shit.

nigger please.

get a second GPU and virtualize some shit, show them intel faggots the middle finger, tell'em how it meant to play people.

Attached: 1528664529616.png (512x512, 133K)

At this point all your drives should be SSDs.

nvidia gives focus, amd gives vision, you need a revision, buy a second amd gpu

Heh; got a socket 939 system I built back in the day still fully intact and functional.

Opteron-185
2GB Ram; 512mb x 4
Geforce 6800GT
SB Audigy 2 ZS gamer
PC Power & Cooling mid tower case (Solid as a rock, they don't make them like this anymore)
ASRock 939Dual Sata II
DVD Rom
Misumi 3.5 Floppy
WD 80GB JB IDE
Samsung Syncmaster 17" LCD
Creative Soundworks 4.1 speaker system
Antec 430w psu

What the backup was tho

>Creative Soundworks 4.1 speaker system
Be honest: How impressive is it? Shit highs? Or shit mids? Or shit basses? Which one are shit?

SSD are for gaming. It doesn't matter if your 200MB spreadsheet takes an extra 2 seconds to load. But an extra 2 seconds of load time in a game can potentially sour the experience; you spend a lot of time loading assets in a game.

Honesty best I could recall it sounded pretty damn good overall. Course maybe the sound card helped with that some.

What does that even mean? Sounds come out of the little boxes.

>What does that even mean?
I need to listen to his lies to make them my own, inspector

>Are SSDs a meme?
I bought an m.2 ss for my desktop, 2tb for 250, freeing up four sata ports for my mass storage devices
The m.2 is integrated directly into my Northridge, I can boot in under 2 seconds

Stop being a faggot, solid state and cartridge tech has always been superior, that brief period where optical and mag storage was more dense was the meme

My m.2 drive doesn't seem to function properly; though that may simply be due to shitty drivers for them in Windows 7. I have all the proper updates, but I often get I/O troubles like things taking even longer to install than on an HDD; though the read speed seems unaffected.

Pretty much this. Maybe 1 huge HDD for data you almost never use, but when I buy drives nowadays I don't even consider HDDs anymore, they are like CDs or something.

my ssd has 3 cpus

Im constantly downloading and deleting shit so Ive ignored SSD's this entire time
Especially since I have yet to have any outrageous load times people claim about on HDD

Well i want to be tracer. So to make sure shes not already tracer, i use nvme storage to get it before that fucking whore bitch.

Attached: IMG_20181110_213637_016.jpg (556x556, 116K)

broo, im' already tracer

That game looks sick as hell, have you actually played it?

lol, there were 480gb and 500gb ssds going for 60-70 dollars this week on amazon.

yes, they are nearly the same spssd as hdds

i have been. my 24inch 2gig ram imac dual core is about done for