Trackball Nation General

/tng/
>because I love trackballs

Logitech Ergo Edition

Who's with me?

Attached: superiorspecies.png (800x687, 275K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3NC57448HJUJV
xahlee.info/kbd/elecom_pro_trackball.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Who's with me?
Every Reddit's imbecile.

>micro-usb
Micro like OPs cock
Why in 2018 do we still put this connector on shit?

Ignore the mouth breathers. Trackball mice are the best. I'm using one right now and it's absolutely comfy.

Who cares. Don't act like you need usb-c to charge your navigation device every few months.
Me too! What are you using atm?

I only use silent mice. There are no silent trackball mice.

mini-B > micro-B > C

>Me too! What are you using atm?
One of these. It's PS/2

Attached: logitech_trackman_trackball_96033.jpg (1600x1200, 289K)

The ultimate in slug technology

Dayum. Keeping it oldschool

Many x86 enterprise desktops still have PS/2 ports. PS/2 has a lot of benefits over something like USB, since it's using hardware interrupts. Lower latency, always just werks.

I wish they made a left handed version. The lefty elecom ball is pretty nice though. Now that mine is broken in I might even prefer it to my mx ergo.

Attached: toshiba-pa2805u-trackball-for-toshiba-t19101950c-and-t4600cs-1_11__58278_1490274458.jpg (1024x768, 25K)

I would buy one, but it's missing the 'turbo scroll' feature which is very handy.

>microusb jack
Not me, that shit will be broken in months.

>Who cares
Anyone who wants the product to last longer than the warranty period.

There is nothing wrong with hardwired, it doesn't need a jack at all, except to break.

> PS/2 has a lot of benefits over something like USB, since it's using hardware interrupts.
Not anymore it isn't.
PS/2 hasn't hasn't had real interrupts since nehalem and bulldozer.

how the hell do you get good at using one of these?
Also, are they better ergonomically than those vertical mice

Ordered one of these badboys last week, should be arriving in the next couple of days.
What am I in for?
Never tried using a trackball before but wanted to see what all the fuss was about, if I absolutely hate it then it's not big deal because it only cost me £20.

Attached: trackballs-lowres-7144.jpg (636x424, 89K)

Kensington TrackballWorks software is garbage but the trackball is still pretty functional. They're pretty comfy to use.

Attached: trackball.jpg (2048x1536, 359K)

I'm a thumb baller myself but Kensington is a pretty good choice generally.
You are in for some comfy navigation.

I've been using that trackball for the last year. Broke my first Expert Trackball and liked it so much I didn't even bother looking into other models and replaced my wireless version with the wired one. Only issue is the wired one uses a red LED instead of IR

Same way you get good at anything — by using it.

Windows Software sucks, but it's amazing on Linux.
Especially the dedicated scrolling button.

Attached: IMG_20181125_132005.jpg (4048x3036, 3.53M)

Logitech trackball marble, good starting point for a trackball virgin? I just want to see if I like it before I buy one of the 100 bucks ones.

>Kensington TrackballWorks software is garbage but the trackball is still pretty functional.
I'm on Linux so this won't be an issue but thanks for the heads up.
Also, very comfy setup you've got there, what model of cherry keyboard is that?

I would have gone for a thumb ball but in the past when I used my phone a lot more I used to get thumb pain / tendon clicking sometimes when I woke up, so I'm staying clear for now.
Have you noticed any pain etc? It seems like doing all mouse movement with your thumb would cause injury far faster than with your wrist, but maybe I just have unusually weak thumbs.

Look into the Kensington Orbit.

>Look into the Kensington Orbit.
The one with or without scrollwheel?

Other user suggested Kensington orbit and that's also what I went for (I'm ).
I was deciding between that and the Logitech; I went for the Kensington because it has a sick ass scroll ring.
It doesn't have forward/back buttons like the logitech though, so you'll have to decide between which feature you want; I figured having to use keyboard shortcuts for forward/back wasn't too big of a deal so I went for the meme ring.

Good point.
I use back/forward buttons all the time on a mouse but I guess the meme ring is more convenient if one has to choose.

Orbit was/is my first trackball, and it felt very natural right away - I was using it comfortably within the first minute

Good to hear, do you even use a mouse at all anymore or just the trackball?
I hardly play videogames anymore so I think I could probably just ditch my mouse entirely if I get on with the trackball.

Waiting for the MX Ergo to drop in price. €80 for a mouse is just too much.

Received this exact model on Friday. First hour of use was quite wonky, but the improvement was pretty rapid. I still get an urge to use my normal mouse for some things that I feel would be done faster using it. It's pretty strange having to force myself to use the trackball at times because of that.
I recommend using the wrist pad that it comes with, helps to support the arm, it doesn't hang as much.
One thing I am not happy with is double clicking, I either have to lift my hand off the ball or press it down even more because double clicking using my thumb is really imprecise, hand simply slips to the sides. If the ball isn't pressed or left alone the wrist movement may move the cursor off the target item. The button setup works against this, there's only two of them. More expensive models have 4 of them, which could be used to map double clicking to others and solve this problem. I could try mapping double clicking to the left+right click combo that the software allows, but even then the feature is quite finicky, you have to be really precise in timing both clicks for the software to register them and not execute other actions that the buttons are assigned. This sucks and makes me want to buy the expensive models next. Maybe the model could be improved with a modded-in third button for this, there's a diy showcase available on the net.
[continued]

[continued]
The scroll wheel is also really sensitive to smallest movements, even when the sensitivity is reduced. I've tried playing Quakelive with it just for fun, but changing weapons proved very hard, any slightest movement of the scroll wheel changed several weapons at once. Not to mention it's very easy to accidentally touch the scroll wheel when moving the ball as well. I guess the twitchy nature of the game makes the scroll wheel's problems come out way more prominently, as I don't experience this discomfort when browsing the net using the trackball. Additionally, from the Quakelive test that I've done, I found it quite amazing the amount of accuracy gained. I made a few in-air railgun shots that hit fast moving targets, something I can't do most of the time with a mouse. Strafing is still harder with a trackball however.

AutoCAD monkey here, ordered this hueg Elecom trackball from Amazon, but due to international shipping I'll get it until December 7th.
Can't fucking wait.

Attached: 4953103308152.jpg (500x500, 28K)

Have you ever actually used mini USB for anything? It become loose as fuck after like a few months of use and then you can't ever get it to work unless you put something under the device to prop it up.

Thanks for taking the time to post user, some good information in here, I'll have to wait till mine arrives to see my experience is similar.

I have it, and it's great, even for games. The best trackball that I had and I had many. Flawless Linux support btw.

I got a Kensington Orbit (the model without the scroll dial), and about one second after I stop moving it, it starts making an annoying high-pitched whine. Is this a common issue or did I just get unlucky with this?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (450x450, 18K)

Only found this review with the mention of the noise:
amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3NC57448HJUJV
I'd return it if that's so, but maybe this is something model specific.
>serveimage
I see you're using startpage as well. Good user.

Thank you for validating my purchase, I was a bit overwhelmed about what to get.

Attached: 1542494125147.jpg (901x584, 80K)

My hands are massive and this thing + the wristpad is the only trackball or mouse that is comfortable for me

If Kensington ever discontinue it, I'll buy a box of 10

Yeah, I couldn't really find any mentions of it myself. I'll see if I can get it returned, but in the worst case I might just buy a different model since the lack of scrolling capability is inconvenient anyway. Besides these issues I've really liked it so far though.

Attached: 2018-11-25_173554.png (391x257, 123K)

It's slightly small for a trackball

Attached: b36szpw.jpg (3000x4000, 3.5M)

>It's slightly small for a trackball

With the wrist pad it is long

Attached: kensington-trackball-orbit-with-scroll-ring-trackball-kensington-trackball-driver-mac.jpg (600x335, 28K)

also, it has a low profile which is better for long fingers

OP here. You guys make me proud. Keep up the trackball spirit!

Attached: 20181125_180353.jpg (1080x1080, 746K)

Any suggestions for a lefty?

Finger trackballs are ambidextrous and probably your only choice.
Picking which depends on your budget. But essentially:
20€ either Logitech Marble or this 30€ this 70€-90€ Kensington Expert or Slimblade, pictured here , fourth from the bottom and fourth from the top respectively
120€ L-Trac, third from the top here

HUGE BOI
Great choice user

Replaced a dying Kensington with the corded version of this.loving it.

Attached: huge_019.jpg (1024x683, 73K)

Where can you find a Logitech marble for 20?

I'm also left handed, not , but I've always used a mouse with my right hand.
I'm torn between the HUEG or an ambidextrous one I would use with my left hand.

Lads what's the verdict on the Deft Pro

Attached: deft_pro_trackball_yysys.jpg (990x990, 131K)

man that thing looks exactly like what I'm looking for, for my poor wrists
any alternatives because I hear that the ball isn't that smooth to scroll with

>Flawless Linux support btw.
Thanks, I was worried about this.Gonna buy one now.

Whoops, looks like it's terribly overpriced in the EU and certainly not 20€. More like 30€, but for that you can get a Kensington with a scroll wheel, which is a better thing.

Elecom make pretty good mice, prefer their trackball over Logitech any day of the week. Namely cause Logitech uses shit actuators that start backfiring after 3 montsh of heavy use.

If you like thumb balls, there is a left handed version of Elecom's EX-G.

See I'm told this repeatedly yet you're actually describing micro-USB

Coming through

Attached: command-conquer-fanatec-b.jpg (800x800, 80K)

O.O
What's that? Old trackballs scare me.

logitech switches are shit though. I've gone through several of their trackballs and none last more than about a year before they start randomly doubleclicking and not registering clicks

L-Trac looks pretty comfy.

I was looking at the Elecom EX-G but I've never tried thumb balls. How's the precision vs finger?

xahlee.info/kbd/elecom_pro_trackball.html

is thumb or finger ball more ergo? trying to minimize wrist damage

>I was looking at the Elecom EX-G but I've never tried thumb balls. How's the precision vs finger?
I haven't used finger balls enough to do a proper comparison. However, I work in AutoCAD all day with a thumb ball and precision is not really an issue for me.

Anything would be better than a mouse. I would assume thumb would get stressed more than index and middle finger combined however. Would be interesting to learn more.

That mouse would be perfect for a comfy guy edit

MX 1800 with blue switches

Sauce

Ive used both, finger is generally regarded as more ergo, but for a lot of people thumb is fine. Its one of those things you have to just try out for yourself and see what works for you.

atta boy

Been using this for the past few weeks, replaced my mouse and went left handed.
Very comfy, just don't know how to rebind top 2 buttons in windows (using x mouse button control does not work), otherwise I'm quite happy with it. Was cheap too.

Attached: trackball.jpg (1560x2080, 275K)

Did you try the TrackballWorks Kensington software?

considered a penny&giles/traxsys?

Attached: trackballs.jpg (2149x782, 210K)

I have a regular ergo, the one on the left here , but with the ball replaced with a logitech ball as the reviews suggested. It's pretty good, I use it for everything, including games like TF2 and Quake. It was a little bit to get used to in FPS games, but after a couple months I was back to where I was. I'm interested in the huge model but this trackball works so well that I have a hard time justifying a second trackball.

Attached: comfy baka.png (600x407, 10K)

Ha, just ordered this ugly monstrosity too. Hope I can adapt to it ok

This thread is disgusting.

This thread is epic. Too bad there are only so many trackballs to talk about