Friendly linux talk/chatroom

in here lets talk about linux

Attached: funny-man-page-featured-1.png (800x450, 10K)

Linux a shit.

Based.
/thread

freetard BTFO

FPBP.
/thread

What do you want to talk about? Recent updates? Please don't tell me you're one of those people who thinks Linux is more than just a kernel.

>Linux is more than just a kernel
It is. And it's shit.

>It is
No it isn't. It is just a kernel.

Attached: 0.jpg (720x1280, 145K)

No, that is a misconception. Those operating systems are more than just Linux. Linux is merely the kernel they use. Do you refer to Android as just Linux?

I think linux would prosper on the desktop as a smaller tight-knit community of individuals that are well versed in technology rather than a large user base do you guys agree?

Define prosper. Because Linux has prospered on mobile devices as the exact opposite of that.

prosperous as in the capabilities of the desktop rather than the popularity,I believe that as a tight-knit community we could accomplish things like: emulation of windows apps with good performance,better video game performance,and a large amount of customization with little errors and comparability problems

technically Linux is the kernel and GNU/Linux is the OS. But only autist neckbeards argue for that point tbqh.

On the other hand Android runs on SELinux and is a full-value OS below the OS.

There are plenty of projects that attempt to do those things. But I don't think you'll find that that many people care about Windows applications or computer games.

I find that many do,but they claim they don't to justify using a platform that is inferior in these aspects;you will find many people on youtube alone trying to make computer games and windows applications work on linux, the wine project has thousands of dedicated members trying to solve these problems you say people don't care about

Does that not contradict your idea that there needs to be a more concerted effort to hasten the development of Windows emulation? You can go join one of those groups and help them if you think it is so important. You don't need to start a new "community".

Words do not have meaning without context. So linux may be both "just a kernel" and "operating system", depending on surrounding context.

I was merely stating that the most important thing for linux was not to shill it to people who dont use it yet, and when I stated the fact that there were many large groups it was just to show that people do care, I mean tight-knit in the context of being a private project rather than a commercial project

>Android runs on SELinux
did you meant to say
>Android runs on NSAhoneypotLinux
?

>Words do not have meaning without context
So dictionaries don't exist?

that's exactly what I said fren

Linux is the most popular kernel in the world. Say GNU/Linux if that is what you mean.
WINE is not commercial. It isn't private, however. Why would you want to keep something like that private?

as soon as it became a large scale commercial product it's goal would shift from results to profit,massively flawing the development and taking power from those who are creative and dont care about making money

But why make it commercial? You don't have to.

good

Attached: 1508732297381.png (657x527, 28K)

They exist and list a number of possible meanings for a given word, and one should select a appropriate one. For example for word "terminal" it might be a text interface for interacting with PC. Or it can be a end railway station. It also has other meanings, that you can look up. This is the same case with this "linux" word. When someone would tell me to go on to kernel.org and download latest "linux" that would mean download "kernel". If someone would tell me "help me install linux on my home pc" that would mean "OS". Word does not matter anything without context.

actually, GNU and Linux are small part of fully working systemD OS.

Attached: 1494263898786.png (717x642, 109K)

>mfw I actually had to laugh because of this
it's over for me, isn't it?

as soon as the project gets big enough somebody will offer the lead developer an attractive sum of money,I am not for the commercialization of these projects, I am saying it is inevitable if the projects continue to grow

You're not planning to be the lead developer?

lol no, I have ideas I believe to be good, but I am far from the most qualified; I want my place to be the person to push innovation for the linux platform as a whole rather than all of this useless bickering and argumentation between people who believe a certain distro is better than another

Yep, I've heard this many times before. You think you have all the answers. But here's the thing. People don't want you telling them what to do. People will work on what they want to work on. Unless you plan on paying people to do what you want I'm afraid you'll have a bad time trying to convince them of your ideas.

I certainly don't have all the answers,but I believe that the linux community,including me and you, should encourage people to try different ideas rather than sticking to a philosophy and shaming everything else to make way for people who do have all of the answers

I'm personally not a fan of telling others what to do. But if you want to contribute, you could try contributing to the Linux code of conduct.

Hell mate neither am I,but sometimes it's necessary the code of conduct is a lost cause by now it has been corrupted by people who are completely divorced from reality and have turned it into a social justice statement

I disagree that it is necessary. Linux is already extremely successful. If you want something to change then do it. But there is no good reason for telling others to do what you want.

test

Im not trying to force ideas on people im just trying to encourage others to be more open minded

I don't think people are, as a whole, close minded.

not naturally, but you would be wrong to say that joining a community does not influence a persons thoughts and promotes the idea that anything different is bad

I don't think that is the case in any free software groups.

what about all of the people who think that anything proprietary is evil, I would say that the free software movement as a whole is a great example of this closed-mindedness

I don't think that is a baseless belief. Some people feel that software that does not afford the user certain freedoms is not acceptable. I don't think that is closed mindedness, it is that the software is lacking in a way that is unacceptable to them.

yet they wont even entertain the thought that something that is more efficient,such as systemD, is better just because it is proprietary

systemd isn't proprietary.

my bad I meant that allegedly it does not make edits to the code easy enough

it also used technology better fit for proprietary hardware

That could be a grievance people have. But as a whole systemd is not widely disliked. Some feel it is slower and has too great a presence over a system. Which is reasonable.

I see the reason in these people you mention, but I also have met a large number of people who made arguments that boiled down to "botnet"

Are there any hopes that IBM/SUSE/RedHat will step in and convince developers of various hardware/software to actually support linux?

Well, that is not true and I don't feel that is a common complaint outside of Jow Forums.

I say valve has been doing this better than all of these companies combined

Maybe for consumer grade goods, but otherwise that is a ridiculous statement to make.

Valve is doing their part for games which is great, but I meant for various professional tools.

I can't convince you that it it it is true since you haven't had my experiences but I have had these interactions multiple times with gentlemen on various forums such as the gentoo forums

>GNU/Linux
sent from Alpine Linux
nothing personnel kid

I make this statement as a proportion between time and resources invested and results;valve has achieved far more in a smaller amount of time and with I believe a greater amount of enthusiasm

your so called gnu free distro actually still depends on the most important gnu package: gcc

do you use a microwave, if yes, then what you refer to as a microwave is actually a microwave oven, an oven that uses microwave radiations to heat food. Now in the pedantic sense when you save you have a microwave you are implying you are producing microwave radiations from your body.

Correct, but why is this relevant? Though I do not own a microwave oven, that must be said.

somebody explain why clang hasn't completely gotten rid of GCC yet

Because it isn't very good.

its that you are being needlessly pedantic about it, the fact that you were able to correct it shows that the description was accurate enough to convey what he meant.

most people don't realize this but linux isn't written in plain C, it's written in GNU C

epic winrar

It could cause confusion for others, I am just experienced with this misconception. If someone wanted to discuss Linux, but others thought they were referring to GNU/Linux or Android, it would be confusing. It is best to be clear.

[File test.c]
int main(int argc, char** argv){
printf("%s\n", argv[1]);
}

$ gcc test.c -o test
$ ./test
SEGMENTATION FAULT

$ clang test.c -o test
$ ./test
(null)

>gcc is better than clang

>misconception
It's not a misconception, words can have multiple meanings.

What do you think this proves?

No, it is a misconception. Just because an OS uses Linux does not mean it IS Linux.

gcc exposes your system to unnecessary undefined behavior

Linux as a word can be used to refer to the OS based on the Linux kernel or the kernel itself. No amount of bitching is going to change that.

No, that is the misconception. Why would you refer to the large, varied number of operating systems using Linux collectively like that?

Nothing wrong with that, they all have different names you can use if you need to specify anyway.

But why would you ever lump them together?

Who's lumping them together?

When you just say Linux to refer to all operating systems that use Linux you are lumping them together.

>all
Where did I say that?

>Linux as a word can be used to refer to the OS based on the Linux
Unless you think there is only one OS using Linux.

Are you too stupid to differentiate between all and the?
>Unless you think there is only one OS using Linux.
I don't think that, what makes you think I do?

You said "the OS", when there are many operating systems that use Linux. That's why I think you think that. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you were referring to all Linux based operating systems.

*IBM/systemd OS

So what's the software update policy on Ubuntu LTS? With the exception of browsers, does everything else stay on the same version number as release, with only security updates pushed in?

>argv[1]
>no arguments
why are you reading beyond the bounds of the array?

Holy shit wine is hard