Certification or Degree?

Im going to a state university for a Networking Information Technology B.S
Should I bother getting certifications for Cisco?
Thinking of only getting CCNP and CCIE later on in the line
Worth it ?

Also what programming language should i learn for networking (Windows and Linux)

Attached: dead_shrimp.jpg (215x173, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=55C5C9D3F3DED4413FB59B22CBF7EB47
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

botnet

ccna is comparatively cheap for its level of renown but since they only issue so many certifications per year, the indians have cheated up the exam score up to very strict levels
if you think you've studied cisco's curriculum well enough to get a 90%+ then dropping the $150 (then another $150, and so on) isn't a bad idea

cisco is losing relevance fast though, while the cert still has some power, the material covered contains too much terminal command syntax for what is now almost exclusively a gui environment
their material still goes pretty deep into logic though, but your classes may cover all that you need there

Degree or Cert
I'm looking at the degree because a lot of my current professors and the professor at my next college don't have certs but degrees

It varies by employer
Some don't give two shits about a degree and are specifically looking for CCNA cert + experience with (list of things they need)
Some want both
I have never seen a posting in my area that required only a degree
Degrees are losing relevance even faster than Cisco

Not OP but you know a good book about ccna?

it depends on who is doing the hiring and what you're looking to advance to
a degree is almost always required for management type positions in corporate environments, but if you're chasing dat consultant money then it doesn't really matter what you do

Is it stupid to do both ?
As I'm taking the degree study hard for my CCNA and work on school

Attached: 1542495468420.jpg (640x640, 27K)

ccna (ccent1+ccent2) is only about 30-40 hours of study, and however many labs you want to do till you're confident
just go for it if you can fit it in

mark lammle's book is usually the most recommended

link to pdf if possible user

I was gonna ask for this too

correction, todd lammle

>pdf
epub, you can search for the pdf too if you really want the pdf but you won't catch me linking adobe shit
libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=55C5C9D3F3DED4413FB59B22CBF7EB47

Where are you at? Certs aren't nearly as valuable in Europe as they are in US. Not even Cisco ones.

thank you so much

it's in a lot of libraries too, and only costs like $20-30 off amazon depending if it's on sale, so if you want to do a physical book of it instead it's pretty accessible
his ccnp books aren't cheap though

>cisco is losing relevance fast though, while the cert still has some power, the material covered contains too much terminal command syntax for what is now almost exclusively a gui environment

Fucking tell me about it. And the terminal commands are fucking garbage too, literal 1980s shit. It's like using fdisk except for every single function of the machine.

Well a good degree program will prepare you for certs directly. The one I'm in I've got everything I need for CISSP, CCNA, CompTIA, a bunch of other crap too.

US,CT

I am a network administrator within the military and in my final year of my cybersecurity degree.
These older military guys love to tell young soldiers that they should only focus on certs because it is all that matters to civilian employers even though those same old guys would have no clue as they have been enlisted their whole adults lives.
I am confident I could pass Net+ and Sec+ just with the knowledge I have gained on the job and through school but from the job listings I have viewed they seem pointless to attain.
Jobs in my prospective field constantly say they require a bachelors degree with at least 5 years of experience in a related field. Certs were never meant replace the value of a degree. They were meant as more of a different path if you could not obtain a degree and needed a different route to prove you know what you're talking about. People these days just study for the test and most I have met with CCNA can't even do half of what they talk about. I am sure many people can tell you they have had similar experiences.

>These older military guys love to tell young soldiers that they should only focus on certs because it is all that matters to civilian employers even though those same old guys would have no clue as they have been enlisted their whole adults lives.
neither of you are wrong, both matter more to HR than your direct superior
your superior just wants you to get your job done

>I am confident I could pass Net+ and Sec+ just with the knowledge I have gained on the job and through school but from the job listings I have viewed they seem pointless to attain.
net+ would definitely be a slam dunk for you

sec+ is probably something slightly less natural, automatically gained knowledge through the job, as it's not necessarily network security related
there's of course things like encryption but it also gets pretty weird and wants you to know some level of business smarts like for purchasing insurance on things, how to negotiate contracts for liability, or what kind of gasses in your fire dispersal systems are best for different environments

>I have viewed they seem pointless to attain.
basically, the scope and shallowness on the comptia things are terrible, and now that the cert expires it's extremely poor value

>I have met with CCNA can't even do half of what they talk about. I am sure many people can tell you they have had similar experiences.
this applies the same to degrees too though, talk to any mechanical engineer about his peers for 10 minutes and you're likely to hear some shit
both things really are just there to get you in the door

probably the best roadmap for someone starting would be certs till you find a job and then have your work pay for your education as you get a degree
the degree won't expire (well, tell that to people that went to ITT tech and they'll have a good laugh) so it's lasting value if you have someone else pay for it

Through school I have already had to use books for Sec+ and CASP. I have already taken many security classes as it is the main focus of my degree. I find it more interesting than networking.

I have only met 2 people that knew how to do what they were talking about. Even the chief warrant officers I have met know very little for the level they are expected to be at.

I joined the military with only gaming PC building experience and they taught me basic networking. Throughout my years in I learned a lot more on my own and now through school I have learned so much more. Do you think it would even be worth it for me to obtain the basic sec+ cert?

Instead of going to college for 6 years to get a master in Network Information Whatever, you can just get an internship for 6 years and learn everything you need first-hand on the job