/hsg/ - Homeserver General

NAS Edition

Previous thread:

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why, then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: 222014_1.jpg (1024x768, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wd.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-800002.pdf
hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-hc2-home-cloud-two/
my.mixtape.moe/qrrbbi.key
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

u can post it again but u cant never erase ur past

Attached: wrong.png (555x409, 121K)

>Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays
What about Green WD SSD? They're pretty cheap here.

>WD ssd

wy tho

I picked up 4x 10TB easystores for a second zpool. Up to 40TB usable atm. I know this isn't datahoarding general, but since this is NAS edition...how'd you anons fare with black friday?

Didn't buy a damn thing. Need a good deal on SODIMM RAM

As far as security is concerned would sshfs or samba be better for accessing storage on the go?

>buying non-enterprise class disks

the kike slaver at the codefarm i go to during the days doesnt pay us until end of next week so i did not buy a thing during black friday
looking for some neat 8+tb drives to set up my own nas at home by next year though, unsure what i'll go for otherwise
what hardware do you have in your nas?
im kind of looking at some supermicro atom-based board

I use supermicro as well. 24 bay 846 chasis (24 bay). I have a X9DRi+ motherboard and a couple of E5-2640s. It's overkill for strict NAS, but I run a bunch of services on it as well (plex, nextcloud, crashplan, some VMs). Super happy with it. Atom based would be just fine if all your doing is simple NAS stuff on that hardware, though you might have some slightly slower SMB transfer speeds depending on clockspeed you go with (SMB loves high clockspeed).

I have 3x 8TBs for my first zpool, and another 8TB as the original backup of my most important from that 16T usable. Now I've got the 16T and 26T sync'd, so not sure what I'm going to do with that extra 8. Either the 8s or the 10s are a sweet deal - buy them now (credit card eh?) while they are $120/$180 user. Or wait for them to go on sale again (hopefully?).

just buy RAM on ebay

>24 bay chassis
>4 disks
why

at least this is better than most of the shit people try to larp as being servers here

They are WD Reds user...you been under a rock? WD doesn't make greens in 8/10TB sizes - they are reds (nas drives) inside. Shuck and chuck them in!

literally no difference but the sticker

I've got 10 disks in there atm, with plenty of room for expansion. With comcasts dirty 1TB/month limit, I can't fill up my 40TB usable that easy, plus I don't have tons of time to watch all the shit I download (I work). My original plan was to fill it up with 18 or so 4TBs, but then the black friday sale at bestbuy happened last year with the 8TBs and plans changed for the better.

4x 10T easystore reds zpool 26TB usable
3x 8T easystore reds zpool 16TB usable
1x 8T easystore red backup of important stuff from zpools
2x 2T as scratch disks for whatever
1x ssd for system

>being too retarded to read a datasheet
they have 10^14 URE rates, they're desktop class disks you poorfags
wd.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-800002.pdf

I've still got ~8TB of my 21TB NAS free for now, so I didn't buy any drives this year.

>no easystores in canada
>only elements which have a chance of being air drives
I'm not mad at all.

Attached: 1360889870872.gif (201x145, 1.6M)

SSHFS is easier to set up and use securely on nonwindows ecosystems with few users. If you set up a VPN though you can run any protocol (including Samba) and have similar authentication and encryption benefits.

HP N40L w/16GB EEC and 5x WD 6TB HDD.

Got another N40L that's got a drive or two showing with a few bad sectors (the e-mail alerts did there job). But I ain't worried about data loss/etc cause it is just a backup target.

Attached: Lil Server Core112118.jpg (1851x901, 253K)

hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-hc2-home-cloud-two/

how do yall cloud backup?

i created a free S3 account and used the cloud sync task in freenas to push important data. I manually encrypt the sensitive stuff first and just drop it in the folder. don't really have a need for a bulk encrypted solution yet.

Attached: screenshot.2018-11-25 12.48.01.png (687x258, 18K)

I'm not them, but WD Red is fine for home use.

t. 10^15 URE

I don't. It would take to long to backup all my data not to mention restore it all if it ever came to it.

I want one of those, but the used market is bullshit. They sold for around 100 euro before the gen 8 came out, now people try to sell them for 200-300 euro...

I really don't care to backup the vast majority of my stuff, just important files if like my apartment burned down and I lost my phone all in the same night. I know some data horders that just upload everything out of principal though, strange folks.

>is fine
>literally impossible to fill the disk with data and not have it come back corrupt
And you missed the point, which is poorfags here larping that their poorfag 5400RPM disks are enterprise class

>having so little data you can back it up to the cloud

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 1.00.02 PM.png (3360x2100, 761K)

it's new, I've only uploaded 1 file to s3 so far to test it. now I know the setup works. still though I can't see myself putting more than a few gigs on there. I'm not about to upload 2.5T of movies and TV. I guess I could move the proxmox backups there too, but I don't have the best internet for it. it'd be easier just to fireproof the rack.

Missed the point? All you did was state something copied from a spec sheet. Points are made through arguments, not from random statements. The reality is still that the light use most home servers see, something cheaper like a WD Red is perfectly fine.

Why is there always that one faggot accusing others of larping in these threads?

learn to follow a thread you sperg, and keep on larping that your cheap desktop disks are for servers.

I've also got a Server 2012 r2 box that acts as my media server and just general purpose box (FTP/File sharing/client backups). It uses storage spaces/refs for the data volumes.
My ace in the hole is a Zyxel 540 R-5 nas that has everything backed up to it and is kept shutdown.

Everything, (Network gear, both N40L's, the 540 Nas, and the Server R2 box) is ran/connected to a ups.

You made a statement, not much more to it. This is a home server thread tho, you should look for the enterprise server thread There you can find likeminded people who are not larping as home server owners.

nigger how new are you, i actually have home servers which have actual server parts in them, not some shucked desktop class disks im trying to larp as enterprise class

That's great. But they're still home servers. They don't need to be some fancy supermicro, tyan, or hpe systems. It is perfectly fine to use a random LGA775 board you had laying around and some WD Red drives. Using what you have to serve your needs or wants is not larping. You do seem like someone trying to larp tho. Who cares about your actual server parts. Buying shit you like to serve their needs is nothing more than mindless consumerism.

Go be a larp spouting faggot somewhere else.

keep on larping that your desktop shitboxes are servers user

friendly reminder that a refurbed server is usually cheaper than a nas box and is also more versatile

>they're not servers because you didn't spend as much money as me reeeeeeeee

Would be nice to see how long you've been doing this. Pretty much every damn time I look at this general, I see some faggot accusing people of larping. If this shit was really larping, it doesn't matter if you used a shitbox, or some dell poweredge, you can larp both with a wooden sword, and a bit fancy steel one.

>my raspi with less power than a phone is a server

years

Impressive. Seems a bit shitty that your biggest achievement in life is shitposting tho.

It is. It has all the functionality. It's just painfully slow in anything it does.

>It has all the functionality
nigger it doesnt. where is your highly available firewall, or highly available anything else.

>hurr it's not a server if it's not blazing fast

>hurr its a server just because i want to be included in this thread

dude face it, anything you remotely access files from is a fucking server

do those fucking easystores even have red drives anymore or are they all fucking white label garbage with no NAS firmware?

Attached: file.png (425x425, 53K)

more importantly do they have an ethernet port or are they usb?

>a ftp client is a server

the client, no, the thing the client accesses, yes
fucking tard

>but it's not a REAAAAL server. a REAALL server has all of these arbitrary things that IIIIII say it has to have otherwise it's not a REAL server.

are you retarded?

a server is any computer that can "serve" requests. it doesn't neet to be a big ass dick waving rack with 4 Xeons and 50 drives.

even a fucking consumer desktop can be a fucking server for games and whatever

>i dont understand how FTP works
>i still think a FTP client is a server
keep on larping that you understand how servers work

>why wont mommie give me enough allowance so i can participate in these threads

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 2.16.21 PM.png (1046x480, 241K)

>look mommy posted it again.

you're either literally retarded or purposely misunderstanding things

What's the difference? Hardware specs look identical, does the firmware matter that much?

the ftp server initiates a connection to the client, therefor according to your retarded logic, the client is the server

>does error correction matter that much in NAS drives

hmm i wonder

yeah a server magically knows when a client on some random computer is opened and wants to access that particular server.
like I said you're too stupid to be here

the firmware doesnt do shit you tard, no matter what they're shitty desktop class disks that you think are somehow better because the labels match the colors of the faggy leds in your case

stay mad user you didnt know how ftp worked, and angry that i probably have more ram than you have flash, and more flash that you have HDDs

dude the client contacts the server, that's the fucking initiation

>i dont understand how TCP works

>what is the threw way handshake

kys scrub

Yo, what type of library do you use? I recently came into posession of a HP msl2024 with 2x LTO4 drives, using veeam to control also. Had much luck with it yourself?

dude you're trying to argue semantics to prove a falsehood. this makes you both wrong and a shitlord

exactly, and the server is the one sending the syn from port 20 to the ephermal port on the client, and is accessing the files on the client. therefor by your retarded logic the ftp client is the server

HP StorageWorks Ultrium 3000 tape drive. I had to buy 3 of them before i got one which would work because ebay sellers never test anything. So no library, just manually shuffling tapes.

the client is a fucking piece of software you tard, but yes technically under those conditions the machine the client is running on is a server. bet that pisses you off royally, you're both right and wrong at the same time

>anything is a server
if you wouldnt find it in a data center, its not a server, no matter how badly you want to feel like you belong in these threads

no one said jack shit about enterprise numbnuts

I know you didn't pay $1000 per socket for Veeam. Enjoy the Russian keylogger in that cracked .dll

Uh long as it works and keeps your data intact/error free what does it matter? Yeah you take a risk using desktop class drives running 24/7 in a home server. But that risk can be mitigated by keeping up to date backups. Also if that data is not super critical then it maters even less. Your media for ex, if it goes tits up you merely re-rip from disc. Will it take time, oh yeah but everything is a trade off. In an enterprise/business data loss is a big deal, costing them loads of dollars, people have been fired for letting such things happen.

how much dedicated wam does it take

But I thought white labels had TLER enabled. Is there something else that reds do I don't know about?

he's just mad because he spent hundreds of thousands he can't repay for a four year "IT" degree and can't get a job but people in this thread are the type of people he's losing out to

I see that post just fine, faggot

The only difference between consumer and enterprise storage is the shiny label, support offering, and price tag.

It can do firewalling with an additional usb nic. Again, it will do it at snail's speed.

>no one said jack shit about enterprise numbnuts
this is literally what we have been arguing about you tard, see >not cracking it yourself
god you're terribad

>Uh long as it works and keeps your data intact/error free what does it matter?
Because the disks we're talking about are literally incapable of doing so, 10^14 UREs means on per 14TB. A 8TB disk written to once and then read from once is literally incapable of storing your data without corrupting it.

>falling for the degree meme

lol no. My HGST SN200s have 10^17 UREs, the HGST 7K4000s have 10^15 as do the Seagate 600 Pros. I bet you dont even know what power loss protection or write endurance is.

>>not cracking it yourself
>god you're terribad
forgot my pic

it still isnt highly available

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 3.09.31 PM.png (3360x2100, 560K)

I'm thinking of buying HP MicroServer Gen8 with Celeron G1610T 2.3 GHz (It's the only version still avaiable to buy new im my country), am I going to be able to replace that processor ? Is it socketed? What processors can I put there (I want ECC support)?

Attached: 87603c7c4f0ebe7ebc2b31f1e60b.jpg (350x350, 25K)

>it still isnt highly available
What the fuck does that even mean

Doing a new build from scratch, tell me what’s wrong with this.

I wanna load up lots of resource intensive vms. I want kickass data storage, and I need to to be quiet.

So I’m looking at getting a threadripper cpu with 64gb ram. I already have 4x6tb hdd, will buy 4 more and make a zfs array. Plus an ssd to boot from. CPU will be watercooled so I will just have the buzz of the drives. Will be running FreeBSD as the base os, virtualise everything else on top.

it means one can go down and you dont lose availability of the services it provides you tard. pic related, my highly available Cisco Firepower Threat Defense firewall cluster. If one hypervisor host goes down due to hardware failure or a software upgrade requiring a reboot, I dont lose internet connectivity.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 3.15.45 PM.png (3360x2100, 465K)

>resource intensive
>64gb
lol no

Love my G10, You'll want ECC if you're gonna use a software raid.

Attached: hsg.jpg (3968x2240, 1.41M)

> Buying used old fart broken datacenter disks

>not testing disks once you receive them
>being this jelly

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 3.25.28 PM.png (3360x2100, 1.01M)

what program is that and is it free? only hard drive tester I know is HDtune which is not free

Hard Disk Sentinel

Here is a key for 4.71
my.mixtape.moe/qrrbbi.key

cool thanks

not all of the drives are actually TLER red drives with white labels. you don't really know until you test them out.

yeah, but I've read that g8 processors can go faster than opteron X3216
I'm not sure which I'd rather buy, gen8 with Celeron G1610T is ~$264 US for me, $457 US for gen10 with x3216. DDR3 ECC is also cheaper than DDR4 ECC. So I want to know what processor I could fit into Gen8, I already figured out that it's socketed. Two pcie slots on Gen10 are also tempting compared to 1 in Gen8 (I'd use 1 for 10Gb ethernet, other one for something else in the future). It'd be cool if I could run some VMs on it, not really a requirement though. Which one should I buy for an entry level power efficient NAS? I already have two 3TB Toshiba V300s that I'm going to run in ZFS mirror.

How bad of an idea is it to throw an external HDD at a RPI with samba share if I just want somewhere to store all my nukige saves/hentai/JAV

it will be laughably slow

Are you using that nvme as heatsink for the CPU ?

Its a virtual disk so the SMART data isnt real

Yes, CPU is socketed and swappable. The most common CPU upgrade for it is Xeon E3-1220L v2 or Xeon E3-1265L v2 (it has higher tdp than the stock heatsink is rated for, but users reported it running within tolerable temps). You can also put i3-32XX in there, but you'll probably lose ECC support.

Even the cheaper and cooler E3-1220L v2 would be at least as fast (if not faster) as the gen10's operton, so unless you really need two pcie slots, I wouldn't bother with the gen10.

Where do you guys conceal your servers? I have one of those big MALM desks with the storage space. I was wandering if i can stash a low power server or a NAS inside it without too many issues.

>big MALM desks
>4.5 feet by 2 feet
>big