I am looking to buy a used PC that can last me through my IT education...

I am looking to buy a used PC that can last me through my IT education. So far I have narrowed my search down to this one, that seems to have the best value:
>ThinkPad W520
> QuadCore i7 2820QM - 2.3 GHz (3.4 GHz turbo)
> 16 GB RAM 1333 MHz
> 128 GB SSD (+ original 500GB HDD on the side)
> Quadro 2000m - 2GB VRAM
> 15.6'' Full HD IPS display (didn't know this model could have an IPS display, so seller might mistake it for a LED)

Price: 360 usd

Note that I live in a country where prices are generally higher than in the US. Used laptops with similar or better specs are almost impossible to find cheaper.

I really like how compact this specific model is and its overall looks, although it isn't slim and light.
Will use it for surfing, compiling and rendering a little 3D, NOT gaming.

Do you think I should find a better, more expensive deal somewhere else or would this old CPU be alright for a few more years?

Attached: lenovo-thinkpad-w520-4284.jpg (960x720, 66K)

that's the top of the line w520, you'll be happy with it

eehh, w530 would last longer

That's a killer deal, a comparable machine new would be closer to 8-900, and you wouldn't be getting the GPU.

pic related a £450 w530 in bongland

Attached: s-l16p00.jpg (1169x1440, 134K)

Take it

>tfw $300 w541

Attached: bento2.png (662x523, 41K)

wtf is that putty and shit

damn i paid for a t540 with similar specs but no gpu and i cant find a hdd caddy :(

shes cute. i did have to get a charger for her though.

Attached: 2018-08-08 19.25.47-min.jpg (4656x3492, 1.45M)

cute
you got the backlit keyboard too uwu

Where do you live OP? Got mine with a 2860QM and 8GB of ram instead at 250€ in yurop from Germany, brand new. Anyway wonderful machine, grab it but try lowering the price a bit.

You'll be fine with that laptop.

Cool.
It seems like a good deal to me too, will try to lower the price just a little bit. I am kind of worried about components breaking down when buying used, but from what I can tell it should be relatively easy to change parts in a ThinkPad.

A t540p is my backup if I cannot get this one. Looks newer and cleaner, has better single core performance in the CPU (i5-4300m) but it's only dual core, has keyboard back lighting and better webcam, but that's about it. The w520 beats it in every other way.
Also I do not like the look of the trackpad in the t540p.

Denmark, so not the biggest supply. Did a quick google search of that cpu, no buying options.
Seems like you got an amazing deal, especially if it's brand new!

check out the newegg selection of refurbished workstation laptops before making a decision, you might find something equal or better for cheaper. but make sure it's a workstation if you want it to last

Are those idle temps? How hot do they get on full load and does it throttle?

I have been rocking a x220 with a i5-2520M for years, and I doubt much that I would have to replace it the next three or four years. The keyboard alone is worth some cpu performance imo. So the w520 should be good. It's definitely hard to find better value at that price point.

You starting at DIKU?

afaik, Newegg only ships from the U.S.
Even if I found a better priced laptop, I would have to pay import tax (+25% of the price) + another fee, having it shipped to my country. Won't be worth it, unfortunately.

I dropped out of DIKU after 1 year actually, wasn't really for me. On a less intense, more creative bachelor now.

Still at the faculty of science or off to itu?
Hear the start at diku is rough.

Garbage
You have to tear the thing down to repaste

Neither of those actually.
It was rough. I did not have any real programming experience beforehand (came from STX) and weren't ready for the level of math they started teaching at. Personally I just couldn't keep up with the learning curve. That being said, a lot of other people obviously could.
Many other factors were part of the decision. If you are thinking about starting I won't elaborate further. If you like programming and math, you'll probably love it!

Thanks for the advice, but I'm working at KUB. No more study years for me fingers crossed. Hope the new place works out for you. I have been in your shoes. It's not easy to drop out, but its a bad idea to stick around if things are not working (also it saves SU months!).

Looking back I definately made the right choice. Strange to think about the people I wouldn't have met if I didn't change.
And thanks! :-)

Won't feel pleasure if you'll take that thing around for uni and shit
If you plan on moving it around maybe look into T series, the price is insane though, I can get a T440 for like 160 euros where I live, and prices are usually a lot more than US

Because of the weight you mean? It is 2.6 kg / 5.75 lbs

The t540p I have also been looking at weighs the same, but this has better specs.
Lucky you, here used laptops usually don't go for less than 200 euro if you want decent hardware.

W530 requires a keyboard swap though

t540p has the godawful touchpad/trackpoint though, so you'd have to swap that too.