It all went wrong with color

It all went wrong with color.

Attached: 1527881728893.jpg (600x450, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qenhe6jIPR0
youtube.com/watch?v=b1i8SpE6cIc
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb3j3MG5-Rs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

kys

Hahahahahaha
>Implying in the 80s computers weren't the same corporate shit designed for jews to exploit their human resources more efficiently, consumerists to spend money to show others how much money they have, and kids wanting to play their stupid goymes

>80s computers
>consumerist
this is why Jow Forums has no relevance on this board

Only thing I remember being shit about white plastic was that it was hard to keep clean besides the discolorations
I have a white car it's absolutely impossible to keep clean as well
I miss weird case colours like red grey etc I miss grey the most all these black gaming tier crap with gaudy leds looks fucking aweful

>b-b-but how would i watch my japanese children's cartoons on a monochrome screen

who actually NEEDED a computer in their house and it wasn't just a trick to show the neighborhood kids how solidly middle class they were?
Don't get me wrong, I like retrocomputing too, but in the end we're just longing for times that never were. The geeks at Bell labs might have felt like they were being paid to just mess around with new shiny tech and design cool stuff, but in reality it was just a battle for corporate superiority and selling cute appliances to normans and (in theory) money making machines to business owners

same for Xerox PARC

that’s mostly a late 80s thing. PCs gained traction in the finance industry first, where they were useful.

It all went wrong with the internet

Amber displays give me such a boner.

Attached: serveimage[1].jpg (1200x900, 100K)

right, before home computers were popular they were sold to jews to run their accounting and the military to drop bombs on hitler
>inb4 ibm helped hitler
the jew cries out in pain as he sells tabulating machines to nazi germany

My first computer was a hand down of an IBM ps/2 my dad had used for work who did financial stuff back in the early 90s. Def an impact to some of us getting into this stuff.

Go back to your containment site.

>op's pic
almost orgasmic beauty
we need to go back

【A E S T H E T I C】

20 Mhz!

Wow!

when somebody tells you to go back to Jow Forums you know they have really no arguments

Attached: 1540225507961.png (550x428, 593K)

The world needs only two colors: 0 and 1.

Attached: nihongo-word-processor-v1-10.png (768x512, 9K)

Just ask Jack Tramiel.

Consumerism started with machines like the Osborne which were aimed at novices who wanted to just do office stuff and weren't interested in being l33t hax0rs.

Attached: green.png (768x512, 20K)

Steve Jobs started it. He said "People don't care about instruction sets or address buses--they're not buying a computer, they're buying Visicalc. They're buying a solution."

"Woz has made a great machine that puts mine to shame, cripple it so it doesn't sell as well."
t. Steve Jobs about the Apple //gs

none of your arguments are based on any real philosophy. it's all pseudo-science and ideology to paint jews as this big other who will magically solve all your problems when they go away.

Wozniak really didn't have much to do with the IIgs beyond designing the ADB interface. He mostly phased himself out of active involvement with projects by 1980.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qenhe6jIPR0

So this is what you spent hundreds of dollars on a computer for.

/thread

Nobody cares about the X68000 except weebs though.

But consumerism has existed as long as people have been selling things.

I agree. White power!

It's too bad the retro computing community is 90% adult manchildren who only care about children's gaymes.

Would you prefer Apple?

Attached: apple.png (720x364, 40K)

Looks like he touched a raw nerve.

LGR should just consider suicide. Seriously.

As opposed to you who are so adult you're on an anime-themed technology board?

Texas Instruments thought so anyway, to the point where they literally made an unprogrammable computer that sank like a stone. Then later on tried to block third party software.

I rarely play games anymore, mostly because I'm an adult with little time, but I don't see the purpose for berating people who have the time to spend on such things. You have to be one hell of a tortured soul to hate people who aren't being rude just for enjoying something that doesn't affect you. It's not like they're pozzing your asshole or anything. Then again, do you know where you are? We are on an anime website.

Attached: 1518206401359.png (805x540, 37K)

I fucking miss these things
>the "warp drive engaged" effect of that CRT switching on
>the burning smell of working electronics
>the BZZZT BZZZT BZZZT of that floppy floppy
>the BRRRT BRRRT BRRRT of that harddisk
>the low pitch sound of the mouse clicks

Attached: 1541615791090.jpg (936x1436, 211K)

The last white-cased TI-99/4As lock out Atarisoft cartridges (although you can get around this, there's a l33t hax0r trick to start them from BASIC). The keyboard is also pretty crap, although the motherboard is the best and most reliable in the TI machines being the last and most mature design (and fwiw all of them were really good).

Attached: 994abeige.jpg (3893x2549, 1.66M)

It's also a very inaccurate build in terms of historical accuracy.

I'm not kidding either. Of all consumer-level machines from that era, the TIs are among the best for quality and durability. They didn't skimp on anything and the computers were built to a high manufacturing standard. Some parts were even military spec and the 9900 CPUs used a ceramic shell.

if computers were still used just as tools we wouldn't need color but at some point we or whatever force drives us wanted them to replace reality so color displays and hyper realism was a necessity.

The white TIs had Micronics keyboards--they were pretty much the shittiest keyboard manufacturer back then.

OY VEY IT THOSE NASTY JEWS GOY
you're literally falling for undercover jew propaganda

So what's the deal with TI-99/4As? For one, the bare computer has only 16k of RAM (this is the video RAM btw and the computer accesses it indirectly) and a BASIC that doesn't provide any way to access the computer through machine language. Extended BASIC provides more features including statements for calling machine language routines, but there's no POKE statement anywhere.

The expansion cage lets you put in more memory, serial, parallel ports, disk drives, things like that. But you can't bank out the OS ROMs so you can't really have 64k of memory.

Has anyone made a low res single color LED screen? I'm talking just enough pixels to display 80x24 characters of ANSI text.

the case and the LED display is awesome

The president of Spinnaker Software once called the TI machines "absurdly underpowered and terribly overpriced, in addition expanding them costs a fortune."

based

Meet the world's slowest BASIC which also has no POKE statement and also only lets you put one statement on a line. Noice.

Anyone who ever owned an Amiga will disagree with you op. At the time pic related felt like the way computers were "supposed" to look, rather than DOS or the Mac system.

Attached: workbench13.png (680x552, 12K)

Actually no it wasn't, the corporate world looked at that gacky color scheme and low res desktop and went "Fuck no."

Texas Instruments were I guess working from a mainframe kind of thinking where BASIC interpreters didn't have any POKE statement because allowing the user to directly fuck around with the hardware/memory was a bad idea.

Nobody here was a "corporate worker" at the time, so why is this relevant at all?
OP's post was about home usage.

I'm saying that was one reason the Amiga didn't get too far sales-wise.

Amiga was well beyound other computers in the way of graphics but PC, especially when 486 CPU came in 1989, was the clear winner in CPU speed

Attached: Symbos21pcw.gif (720x510, 28K)

They couldn't compete with Commodore's aluminized cardboard heat sinks and shipping computers that failed the factory Q/C test to meet shipment quotas.

A 50MHz 68060 was faster than a 100MHz Pentium.
Tell me again, who was a clear winner in CPU speed?

t. undercover merchant

Too bad the Amiga's architecture was a massive bottleneck and even if you upgraded AGA machines to a 68060 they'd never hope to be as fast as a Mac of that period.

Not to mention a massive lack of general productivity software. Did it ever have a major word processor and spreadsheet made for it?

There was a shitty port of WordPerfect and a very shitty port of MS Works.

Continuing to use planar graphics on the AGA chipset was a horrible, horrible mistake.

if I get a monochrome serial console to use with my linux memepad, how hard would it be to get it working over usb?

Attached: VT220_Irssi.jpg (1600x1200, 282K)

>LED
Dont you mean VFD

If you have to ask such a question, that means it'd be too hard for you.

Not him, but no. It's a seven segment LED display.
A VFD would be retarded to implement in this situation.

I like anal in my asshole

Where can I buy relatively cheap monochrome CRTs? EBay seems overpriced

You obviously have no idea about Amiga architecture.
Do you even realize you can run Voodoo 3's and PCI Radeon 9250's on the Amiga? Plus actual specific Zorro graphics and other cards existed.

Another thing, yes, even a 68040 Amiga will be faster than a 68040 Macintosh.
There is plenty of documentation about that, if you upgrade the Amiga to a 68060, you're going to be way faster even. I think RMC had a good video about it that was quite recent.
Macintosh emulators for the Amiga existed for this exact reason, the saying "the fastest (68k) Macintosh is an Amiga" came from that.

It had good enough productivity software for home use, of course.
It did have widespread use as a graphics machine with Deluxe Paint. People would argue it was also used for tracker music commercially, but I'd say that was more of a prosumer use. Also Video Toaster, even though it was popular with low-budget companies, I wouldn't give it much credit, it was mostly a home machine.

Not even including anything PowerPC related that the Amiga was capable of using.
I don't' specifically like the machine, but damn are people on Jow Forums uneducated on old hardware and computers while they still think they have a opinion to share.

Riddle me this:
Why are all Amiga users furfags? Legit question.

that's true, Amigas were actually faster Macs than real Macs

Sounds more like a vocal minority.
Plus furry and computer geeks were closely related back in the day. Same with weebs.

As I said, look up some videos about the subject, it was widely known.

I'd say furfags weren't even a tung in the Amiga community till the mid 90s

Well yeah, that was after Commodore had already officially went into the dirt.

This is absolutely false.
t. old man

I've been with the Amiga since the early 90's and there wasn't much anything about furry until the E.S. animations came onto the scene. This was around '94 or '95.

youtube.com/watch?v=b1i8SpE6cIc

youtube.com/watch?v=Fb3j3MG5-Rs

How horrible.

Also fuck the DOSBox devs for not bothering to add Ctrl-Break support.

Indeed, it was a open platform to develop on, there was no restrictions what you could release on it, just like computers today. Unlike Nintendo or related that policed what you could release for their platform. People would try their best to make a quick and lazy buck from half assed games.
The platform is full of cheap and dirty wares of all kinds, since everyone could make games for it out from their home, this is both a blessing and a curse. Of course there was plenty of good content too.

True
Anyone could make games for the system

There were loads of cool games with furry undertones though
Kind of like Disney movies with animals, nothing bad and quite enjoyable

Everyone always forgets disk formats when talking about computer platforms from back then.

Indeed. Most of that was made/released far later though.

Also cross compatibility between them. Since the very early CP/M days.

>Also cross compatibility between them

Or more accurately, the total lack of it.

CP/M disk format compatibility mostly depended on your drive hardware. There were many CP/M formats and the nominal baseline was the 8" IBM 3740 format, but by the early 80s most software had standardized on the Osborne, Kaypro, and Epson formats since they used soft sectored 40 track 5.25" disks which were the most common type of floppy at the time.

My cousin had a C128 and I think he booted up the CP/M disk like twice ever. He had no clue what to do with it and it's not as if any stores by the late 80s carried CP/M software. If you asked store clerks they'd be like "What the fuck is a CP/M?"

Amber is best.

Attached: Terminalshot.png (965x717, 981K)

Not really true, things like Kaypro could read most of the popular CP/M formats. Forementioned Amiga and Macintosh, both could read a variety of formats too, it was mostly the PC that was lacking in the cross-compatibility field.

It was business stuff mostly, an InfoWorld article from 84 noted that CP/M largely failed to penetrate the home/consumer market because the software was expensive and most CP/M machines just had monochrome text and lacked features that appealed to home users.

>it was mostly the PC that was lacking in the cross-compatibility field

PCs could generally read CP/M disks if they were soft sector MFM and there did exist applications to do this, but they would have to program the floppy controller directly because the BIOS was hard-wired to use 512 byte sectors. Some disks could have problems if the index hole was too close to track 1 which the NEC u765 controller in PCs didn't like.

This computer could do 65535 colors while running arcade perfect ports.

man, I'm still never not going to be mad at TI for designing the video chip in that thing so fucking poorly
>FOUR sprites per line
even for non-game use, this meant you couldn't use them to stack above for multi-color graphics
>no scrolling, not even coarse scroll
so even all text applications suffered, let alone anything graphical
>VRAM isn't memory mapped
and on several of the machines its used in, VRAM is the largest block of memory on the machine

most of this is me bitching about my own experience with Sega's SC-3000, but it still applies to the TI-99 and MSX

True, this was thanks to 3rd party software, many of which were created much later after the CP/M days by hobbyists to write and archive media.
It wasn't something like the mentioned Kaypro or Amiga, Macintosh that would automagically or with little user input let you access formats from other devices.

Come on, the thing came out in 1979. Seriously it and the ANTIC were the first dedicated GPUs on the market.

It all went wrong with more computing power and memory being available. Nobody writes resource-efficient quick and responsive software with clean code because they don't have to. Thats why windows is a clustefuck because there is no QA and pajeets keep stacking memefeatures on top of old code and nobody gives a fuck if it works fast and efficient

yeah, yeah
doesn't mean I can't be mad about some things

like, if there's one really nice thing I always liked, it was the multi-color character mode it had, where you could do per-scanline, per-tile colors
you could display all 16 colors in a tile, even if only two per line, and the color palette was pleasant and useful

DOS and the BIOS in PCs were quite limiting in their disk support compared to a lot of 8-bit OSes and the NEC u765 is also more limiting in what it allows the user to do than the more common WDC 17xx FDCs. FM was also not supported on the original IBM PC floppy controller because separate external circuitry was required and IBM omitted it to cut costs.