Thanks Jow Forums

thanks Jow Forums
i officially mark today as microsoft appreciation day
never thought i would ever feel this way

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-25 13-27-49.png (1280x996, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak
website.blogspot.myfreewebs.tk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>linux
>microsoft
lolwut?

apt is such a piece of shit. use something with yum/dnf.

hell even pacman is better than the flaming shitpile known as apt.

Install gentoo bitch

>actually managing to break ubuntu
So, what layer of ineptitude are we on right now?

Attached: 1542350420662.jpg (350x328, 45K)

linux distro Jow Forums told me to install shit itself within a few weeks of relatively basic usage
windows doesnt do this even though it is also steaming dogshit
at least one thing breaking doesnt totally prevent me from installing any other software in windows
that doesnt really help me now
im not fucking setting up a vga passthrough vm again on another distribution, fuck that
rather just reinstall fucking windows and deal with microsofts microdick in my ass than this shit

user, what did you do to that machine?

Attached: wtf.jpg (359x179, 32K)

>rather just reinstall fucking windows and deal with microsofts microdick in my ass than this shit
That's probably for the best. You seem like an actual retard.

am i reading that correctly that gcc and gcc-7 are two different packages?
also, why would you install gcc anything lower than gcc8 ?

It specifically told him to.

>breaks boobuntu
>setting up a vga passthrough vm
Kek. Did you need to play your FABORIT GAEM?

Attached: (JPEG Image, 228 × 221 pixels).jpg (228x221, 11K)

>>setting up a vga passthrough vm
>implying this waste of space would even have the first clue how to do this
You give gaymurbabbies way too much credit.

i was trying to install all of the things it was fucking up with
got down to the point where i had a package already installed, but an apparently outdated version
ran update and upgrade (yet again) to try to fix that but ubuntu says everything is fine :^)
motherfucker even with ubuntu shitting itself my vm works fine, fuck off
and nothing i had to do to set up the vm should have done anything to the package manager, even if i had completely fucked the setup (i didnt)
find something else to be a faggy little cockgobbler about

>im not fucking setting up a vga passthrough vm again on another distribution, fuck that
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
arch LITERALLY has a guide for it in the wiki, yet you fell for the memeshitdistroobuntu meme

Have fun having to go to websites to download setup.exe's LMAO

>motherfucker even with ubuntu shitting itself my vm works fine, fuck off
You can't even keep your larping stories straight.
lel

>Jow Forums recommends a distro for beginners
>HAHA you fell for it, LOSER :DDDD

what the flying hell are you on about

I think it's mostly a case of people thinking that, since you're apparently incapable of using even something as simple as Ubuntu without breaking it, that you're probably unable to do anything more technically demanding.

>Jow Forums recommends a distro for beginners
elementary OS is babby linux, unbreakable
Manjaro is beginner linux, breakable and might also break itself
Arch is if you want to learn a lil bit
Gentoo is if you want to learn a lot (but really not worth the effort)

Unless you asked 8 years ago what beginner distro you should choose and never hopped since then you're talking fucking tash

PS: forgot Linux Mint, which gets recommended nearly every linux thread right now

>"memeshitdistroobuntu"
>recommends reskinned ubuntu and ubuntu with preinstalled codecs
>thinks archwiki is unapplicable to other distros
Stop trying to give advice and go back to ricing your steaming pile of rolling garbage, retarded underage archfaggot.

fuckers
i may be a brainlet but im not that fucking retarded
if you actually fucking read the guide its easy as shit, even if you have to tweak some shit for your own system

Attached: 20181125_140550.jpg (2560x1536, 1.11M)

Notice the epoch of 4 the the first output. You are using since broken ppa that puts itself at a high priority.

but I'm already done ricing

>sudo apt-get

Attached: Jq9aZSk.jpg (226x250, 5K)

just become a hacker already how did you break that, that shit works on fucking CHROME OS

>sudo apt install
>managing to misuse the most basic command
yeah you go appreciate wangblows

yeah, awful quiet now arent you fuckers
find something else to guzzle cum over

uname -r
cat /etc/os-release

now that what? your previous post didn't in any way exculpate you and there's really not much to post about besides you being retarded, which everyone already did.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-25 14-28-35.png (694x260, 11K)

>windows doesnt shit itself
do you live in 2009? windows 10 shits itself more than any linux distro ever has

Have you tried downloading the .deb packages for them, then running dpkg -i gcc.deb?

from what i was told before installing ubuntu, installing software that way is usually bad for a beginner
it wouldnt even fix my problem if it worked, because it does this shit for everything i try to install that has dependencies that i dont already have installed
its not just this package

>everything
Everything? What have you done?

youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak

That would effect the package manager? Literally nothing. Unless installing simple programs like cmus from the official ubuntu repositories should be capable of breaking it.
The biggest thing I have done is set up a vm with vga passthrough, but i did that a while ago and everything worked fine afterwards.

I 100% guarantee you did something stupid. It’s ALWAYS newbies that fuck up and add pu55ySN1F3R’s PPA from website.blogspot.myfreewebs.tk and wonder why their system breaks.

Does it throw the same error each time, about missing gcc?

I have not added any repositories.
If you want proof, give me the command to run to find them. I don't know what it is.
not for every package, no
it just lists any dependencies the package has that i dont already have installed

i have to correct this, it seems not /everything/ that has dependencies does this
i can install vlc just fine, and it has a long list of them that i dont have installed
so the ones that are throwing errors at me probably have some shared package somewhere in their dependency trees, and that package is what is fucking everything up

this is very helpful for trying to fix this, thank you for saying something that made me look back and double check

i successfully installed synaptic
a bunch of people on forums and shit recommend it for fixing packages
anyway it doesnt list any broken packages under the "broken" category
i select build-essential and mark it for installation
attempt to apply changes
tells me to use "fix broken packages"
i do it and it shits out this error

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies

so another thing about held packages, but every solution i have found to address these "held packages" does literally nothing

Run dpkg --get-selections | grep hold and print the output, if there is any.

Uninstall all the shit it's complaining about then reinstall them.

no output

I know this isn't contributing anything useful to the thread but this is the reason why i have a wee chuckle to myself every time a Jow Forumstard tries dumping on me or another Slackware user who manages their own dependencies.

Attached: 39453903_2315870225096855_668478515359776768_n.jpg (960x958, 103K)

post contents of /etc/apt/sources.list

i cant blame you. not a lot of experience with this shit myself, but on windows if something was missing i could just, you know, download and install it
if it installed to the wrong place i could just move it or just link whatever32.dll to where the program expects it to be
not quite the same thing, but same general idea i think

cant copypaste or screenshot because ubuntu decided to boot into a terminal on startup for... some reason... and im doing stuff in my vm right now so i cant reboot without dropping everything

but all of my sources are at ubuntu.com and canonical.com

OP, what does sudo apt-get --fix-broken --dry-run install build-essential display?

identical output to when i tried to install build-essential

Not gonna cut it, need to see the whole file

I'm noticing a trend here which is that you seem to skimp on important details or leave things out or dismiss them as not important. This is why you are having problems, if you want take that attitude, just stick to windows and use it to go post your memes on facebook all day.

hate to be the guy who posts a picture of a screen, but this is the best i can do you for
i noticed most of the m are commented out, but they only seem to be ones that ubuntu explicitly says it does not intend to support
i would think everything required for build-essential would be included in an actively maintained official repository

Attached: 20181125_192607-scaled.jpg (768x1280, 589K)

How did you manage to screw up Ubuntu?

Attached: brainletnpc.png (324x362, 45K)

i dont know, how did your parents manage to screw up a child?

have you tried installing the stuff you need with aptitude? I'm pretty sure it won't give up as easily and might fix the problem for you. Also try startx to boot into a GUI

why use a gui you pleb that won't solve anything

how can you even accidentally break ooboontoo wtf
you must be retarded

>ran update and upgrade (yet again) to try to fix that but ubuntu says everything is fine
you havent run apt full-upgrade, have you? how about you read the documentation on ubuntu administration before bitching in here?

It won't but he can start taking screenshots instead of blurry phone pictures

yes, gcc and gcc-7 ARE SUPPOSED to be different packages

gcc package is meta package which points to gcc-6, gcc-7, gcc-8 etc. as needed, so when you upgrade your installed packages, gcc package gets upgraded, pulling in the newer gcc-X package and the old gcc-Y dependency gets garbage collected by autoremove

my fucking nigga
first solution it recommended was to leave all of the dependencies unresolved (obviously didnt work)
second solution it recommended was to downgrade a list of packages
what do you fucking know, it worked

just compiled and ran a small hello world program, worked perfectly

startx looked like it was going to work
i have the faggy pink and orange ubuntu background
thats it though, no login box
oh well, i was fine without gui anyway

thanks user, u the MVN (most valued nigga)

im a brainlet, i was already logged in lol
i don't have a dock and my resolution is wonky, but it "works"
this is fine though

you are not supposed to run startx on ubuntu
use login manager init services

Really? Ubuntu is weird, I just told him startx cuz that's what I do on arch. I thought it worked on all distros.