Jow Forums I need your help

Inb4 not ur help line etc.

Hey Jow Forums, /o/ fag here. I fell for the Apple meme really hard. I live in the US so Apple shit has the highest market share (iOS, not Mac OS) and has all the "prestige" bullshit attached to it, so I felt like a failure for not "fitting in." I have a MacBook Pro, Apple Watch, and iPhone, but now I keep hearing that Apple is shit and their products are shit and so are their fans, and I'm really starting to miss Android/Windows/Linux. But I also hear that Apple is the only tech company that respects privacy and makes the most reliable hardware and has the longest support through updates etc. I'm so fucking confused and don't know what is fact and what is shit. Can you please help me find solid, indisputable FACTS on whether or not Apple is shit? I feel like my head is going to explode. I know a good amount about tech but I don't know everything, that's why I'm coming to the experts to get real knowledge. This means a lot to me. Please help me Jow Forums. Thank you.

Attached: zfsi1bx4dfy11.jpg (1900x1188, 335K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
warosu.org/g/thread/S68523943#p68526105
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
stallman.org/apple.html
youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=e2r-g8EaTfY
wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Apple is the only tech company that respects privacy and makes the most reliable hardware

Attached: slut4.gif (244x248, 113K)

I don't believe it because I can't prove it, but that's what I've heard from Apple supporters. I understand that they can't prove it because all Apple stuff is closed source, but is there anyway we can prove that Apple really is collecting as much data as say Google or Microsoft? I just want proof so I can make an objective decision.

Apple is fucking garbage. Only a retard would trust anything they say or use their gay ass shit. Are you happy being a gay retard OP?

Did you even read my post? I want solid, objective proof to help me make a decision. You're not helping at all.

Go away iShill poojeet

Le daddy bought me all the le Applel hardware so I can suck the le dicks a the le art school and be le ultimate applel faggot nigger LE TEE HEE LE ECKS DEE XD

You'd think Jow Forums would actually want to talk about tech shit but no

>respects privacy
>reliable hardware
>long support
>apple
lmao

>come to a technology board
>expect people to be okay with overpriced, mediocre products with a locked down ecosystem
Jow Forumsee it's a mystery

I appreciate your greentext skills but please give me some proof

That's what I keep hearing from the anti apple side but I want to know the facts behind why they feel that way. I'm already hating the apple experience and I'll probably switch back soon but I'd like to see real solid evidence

these aren't even things that need to be proved really; they're just facts. apple is objectively overpriced; like go look at the spec to price ratio; and you can clearly see something's off
it's a fact it's a locked down ecosystem, idk what you even want us to say here.

>but I want to know the facts behind why they feel that way
But it's not the anti-Apple side, all things people are objecting to are blatand and I would hope obvious to anyone who stumbled upon Jow Forums.
>I'm already hating the apple experience and I'll probably switch back soon but I'd like to see real solid evidence
>hating
This is the wrong approach. Here's something eye-opening for you:
Here's more:
warosu.org/g/thread/S68523943#p68526105
You could've really found out most of these on (You)r own.

Holy fuck okay thank you. This is the type of shit I wanted but it's hard to sift through all the bullshit these days

>needing Jow Forums to give you your opinion
>trusting anything Jow Forums says

You're not going to get anything like facts or logic from Apple haters bro

Then give me some facts and logic from the non apple hater side. Can you provide that?

Not going to bother. You're looking to have your hate justified, not looking for facts really. Not worth it.

>Le I could like totally like prove it but like ya know hate and stuff le tee hee
If you can actually prove it then do it faggot. If you can't then just shut the fuck up. I want the truth about which "tech world" is superior and which is shit. Maybe that's Apple or maybe it's the rest of the tech world. That's what I'm trying to fucking understand

Hardware is the problem. It costs billions to build a chip factory. Software can be secured. Apple is pretty good and has had some really good fights against the govt for spying. Also some major hacks (iCloud leaks).

Android can be VERY secure but it takes a little know how. Linux (my favorite even though posting from an i and my Linux skills are POOP, but look at a kali Linux distro and enjoy the tools but knowing HOW they work is fucking hard.)

Don’t let the haters get to you. Use what you like. If you have the money look into the librem laptops and phones. I used a Macbook and really enjoy the laptops. Phones I could use anything really. Each has their own things you may or may not like. Either way there are fan boys on either side. The REAL problems are data privacy. I could get into a massive speech about it. So it’s good you are worrying about privacy.

You would be surprised how you would look if a third party controlled your data. They could decide which calls go through, which emails you receive, fake or dismiss who you are talking to. Rip apart your family. Data is important. And some people have built billion dollar empires on your data.

Don’t worry and find something you like.

>Maybe that's Apple or maybe it's the rest of the tech world. That's what I'm trying to fucking understand
This isn't AI programming and you don't have to be an economist either to conclude what's being said here:

What criteria are you using to consider something "shit" or not? You're too vague.

>Is software made by Apple any good (in a practical sense)?
Depends on the program. I don't like iOS due to some of its limitations (no proper file manager, browsers have to use Safari's webkit, no access to root without exploits, etc.)
OS X imo is a decent OS. Looks pretty, good for development, Homebrew fixes most issues related to installing programs.

>Is software made by Apple any good (in a ethical way)?
I think it isn't, because it is proprietary software. This means it restricts what you can do with it (or the license does). I believe it's better to use free software instead ("free" in the "freedom" sense of the word). More information here: gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

>Apple is the only tech company that respects privacy
I'd put it like that: iOS and OS X have way saner defaults (privacy-wise) than any other proprietary operating system like Windows 10 and stock Android. That being said, it's a black box: it's very hard to audit (you have to keep an eye on your network constantly) and you rely on your trust on Apple alone.

>What about Apple, the company itself?
I believe this will be a good read for you: stallman.org/apple.html
It's an opinion page, but he backs everything with facts and articles.

Good luck on your journey, OP.

Apple has a recurring bug where it's possible to unlock a phone by plugging in a simulated keyboard. Also macOS had a bug recently where they showed a password when you asked for a password hint.
Android has none of that shit in the public light but that doesn't mean it doesn't have bugs too, maybe they haven't been released or publicized as widely.
But considering those bugs all the secure co-processor stuff and that kinda shit seems to be security theater.
Privacy-wise both spy on you, but aplel doesn't put as much emphasis on selling your data.
Hardware wise everything apple is overpriced as shit, except for the CPU in iphones which is theoretically faster but it's the same or even worse than androids in everyday usage according to some tests by opening apps and seeing the difference in startup time.
Status wise applel will probably get you more (You)s among normans.
Usability wise everything aplel is SHIT even when they advertise it as better than the alternatives. They're not, you can't even copy files to a pc without special software.

Thank you very much for the level headed response. This is the type of information I'm looking for

>and has had some really good fights against the govt for spying
security theater to make normies believe applel is safe from government spying when it's not

the fact that the exhaust isn't centered is bothering me

>reliable....
dude...

"i know a good amount about tech"

arbitrary and stupid. You know nothing, numbskull. Further supported by your use of an apple ecosys. Faggot.

According to consumer reports Apple makes the most reliable hardware. Are there better sources for tech hardware reliability?

>this nigger is serious
w-w-woa-aa-h

Attached: SITTING IN A FUCKING FLOODED PARKING LOT its not death if you chose it hurricane matthew.jpg (602x474, 61K)

>Le funny cutesy Le may may response
That's great but how about you give me an actual argument

Here, just because you seem like a genuine guy asking a genuine question.

This hardware is considered obsolete by manufacturer in 7 years. Compare it to any other business-class hardware company. Fucking DELL is better.

Ok, this is an interesting thread and most of the replies seem to be shit so I'll try to tell you what I know.
By default, Apple products probably are better from a privacy and security point of view when compared to Google (android) or Microsoft (windows). Why is that? Well Google makes an overwhelming majority of their revenue from ad revenue, so they have direct incentive to collect data from their users. As for microsoft, no one really knows why they have gone so hard on telemetry with the release of windows 10 since they make money from software and product sales, but it's resonable to assume they collect data. Apple on the other hand makes almost all their revenue from hardware sales, so user data wouldn't really interest them so much.

With that being said, if you actually care about your privacy and are willing to make even minor adjustments to how you use your devices, then you will find that apple devices are left in the dust.
With an android phone you can flash a custom ROM (open source android often with additional privacy/security features) like lineage OS, and then either use micro g or no google play services at all (I don't recommend this for you). Now if we compare to iphones we can point out some important differences. iPhones can only use a proprietary operating system, whereas an AOSP based custom rom is open source and inherently more private. Same goes for all system apps as well.

Moving onto computers, the situation is a bit different. I would rank desktop OS privacy as linux > macOS > windows, with not much wiggle room for any of those. Windows 10 collects tons of data and forces updates, and there's really not much anyone can do about it. At most you could use LTSC edition with no automatic updates, but there's no way to entirely disable telemetry without hacking around the OS or maybe blocking M$ IPs from your router. Linux far outclasses macOS since once again, it's open source and macOS isn't.

bsd is the only considerable OS if you care about privacy. Any proprietary software is by design compromised and cannot be trusted.
Reliable hardware comes from business products like dell latitude, ThinkPad t or X series. Avoid intel processors, they are all compromised.
MacBook are fragile fancy and near impossible to repair.
Cell phones are disposable product. Imo iOS is """fine""" if you are a very simple user that stick to stocks app. iPhone SE is the last good phone they made. Android is garbage but has fdroid and lot of tinkering possible. Some, very few models are updated more than a year. Like Samsung or google phones? O+, Xiaomi? Still I think smartphones are trash no matter the os. Forget about privacy with any "smart" objects and you'd be better throwing away your smart watch.

Do you mean the echo chambers of Apple users telling how reliable their products are?
youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos
and specifically
youtube.com/watch?v=e2r-g8EaTfY
and many others

be a faggot with a RX7 and not a faggot with a RX7 + appleshit

Adding onto my post, besides the security/privacy aspect of tech, I believe there is one huge reason to stay away from apple products.
They continually price products far above what they are worth, and yet people continue to purchase them. This basically sends a thumbs up to all the competitors that they can start creeping their prices up as well, since Apple has shown that consumers are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for dumb shit like a phone.
There is also an ethical issue of apple trying as hard as possible to prohibit any third party repairs of their products, which is blatantly anti consumer. If they are able to shut down all third party repair companies they can charge whatever they want to fix products and no one will be able to do anything about that.
Then there are the other annoyances like nonstandard ports, taking out features like headphones jack (unfortunately android manufacturers have jumped on this train), reducing number of ports on their laptops, etc.

Thank you for the solid response. I have been learning more and more and it seems that privacy is really only possible though Linux and AOSP since everything is backdoored/filtered by NSA. I have also heard supporting evidence for the reliability of enterprise grade hardware like the T and X series you mentioned, and am still researching Android hardware failure rates. Thanks again for the proper level head response

>Can you please help me find solid, indisputable FACTS on whether or not Apple is shit?
- they rip off their customers by promoting expensive repairs and new device purchases and then selling refurbished devices
- their engineering is plain bad as Louis Rossman explains in video I linked, no matter how big the trackpad is or how much you like aluminum
- new MacBooks severly lack ports and they won't get them again in future
- they signed agreement with Amazon that only Apple can sell any Apple products on Amazon

No problem user, glad I could be of some help.
>privacy is really only possible though Linux and AOSP since everything is backdoored/filtered by NSA
I'd just like to point out that it is becoming increasingly likely that all of our hardware itself is backdoored, which would reduce the effectiveness of using Linux or AOSP. Now that doesn't mean it's not worth using, since having some protection is still better than none, but I think it is worth mentioning that even with all those precautions no one 100% safe. If anything it is a testament to the invasive nature of our government that no party seems to want to change unfortunately.
as for AOSP/custom roms, XDA is the site you want to check out for rom compatibility with android devices. I personally would recommend a rom with official lineage OS support, since that has the most developers and very strict requirements for a build to be deemed official. You can find the officially supported devices here wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

I'm not sure how familiar you are with linux but I would recommend making a list of every software you use on your computer and then checking to see if there is a linux port or alternative that will satisfy you. It is often the case for games or enterprise level software that there is no equivalent software on linux, so you should be aware of that potential issue before jumping in.

You should look and lurk for answers, but I guess you just want verification on the shit you have, Apple is shit, motherboards are straight garbage, soon you won't be able to install anything you want (thank the T2 chip), limited OSes in both their pcs and phones that don't allow you to basic tasks, or organize correctly, zero privacy due to 14 eyes, they just say they give the government nothing to sell their product, anyone who says that apple is a "premium high class product" is lying out their ass and are either jealous of the price tag or buyers remorse. I'm sure there are links in here already that have proven this point into the ground, I don't recommend them due to their limitations and their lies. Have fun tard/o/.

Attached: 1540511228798.jpg (720x408, 53K)

>Apple is the only tech company that respects privacy
It uses telemetry as well. Though it is argued the data isn't as sensitive as other companies want.
>Reliable hardware
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. All computers can last a very long time if you take good care of it.
>Longest support through updates
They do on the mobile market with significantly lower fragmentation than android, but on the pc market, its somewhat irrelevant.

The reason apple is shit to so many is because the markup is rediculous. The price:performance of its computers are the worst in the entire market. I can only hand pick very few lenovos or dell computers that come close to reaching the unbelievably poor performance ratio apple offers on all of their computers. And not only are you paying so much for subpar hardware, the operating system isnt compatible with vast amounts of free software because apple has a paywall for developers.