Should I do it? Or is it a meme?

Should I do it? Or is it a meme?

Attached: logo.png (2000x2105, 308K)

nobody should compile their own software

If you hate yourself

It's a meme but you should

Attached: 20181123_221349.jpg (800x600, 297K)

it's good experience

Do it if you're fine with AN ULTRA FAST AND FULLY CUSTOMIZED DISTRO EXPERIENCE.
It takes me less than 1.5 minutes to compile the kernel. Buy amd, pussies.
This person is a truthsayer.

The fact that you are even asking shows that you're only considering it because Jow Forums said to. Not because you have interest

Don't bother

Attached: aoba.png (1441x1600, 1.42M)

The kernel is tiny, retard. The hard part is compiling llvm, gcc, xorg, mesa, rust, clang, qt, ffmpeg, etc.

I don't disagree with a single thing you're saying but you sound like a legitimate sperg

>rust

> llvm
> rust
> clang

i respect clang and can understand where llvm would be needed but rust is a fucking shitshow

install CRUX instead

I'm on the fence between CRUX and Gentoo.

I get the feeling that Gentoo is over-engineered, but has a bigger userbase and top-notch documentation.

While CRUX is easily the simplest distro ever, but I'm bit worried I won't be able to really get the performance and storage benefits because it doesn't seem to have that many compile customization options as Gentoo (e.g. USE flags).

I don't have that much of a problem with writing my own Ebuilds/Pkgfiles.

Any advice?

nice try FBI

The CFLAG and CXXFLAGS can be set in the CRUX main file, while for USE flags you mean really the compiling options for the packages. So, if you want USE flags then get familiar with the ports and set the flags there, is just setting the options for the configure script and other environment variables. The ports are far far easier than Gentoo's ebuilds, I am not bluffing.

It is usually enough to have GTK installed if you want the GTK frontend of an application during compile time. Most projects are fairly good about detecting libraries installed on your system, and will enable more optional features when you have more stuff installed.

I moved to CRUX after getting tired of Gentoo and dealing with use flags and unmasking packages. Gentoo can become a bit of a mess after a while. CRUX have remained simple and fun to use. CRUXs only downside is lack of ports, and ports in contrib and especially user maintained repositories can be fairly lacking at times (footprint mismatches, 404 source files, just fails to build), but if you're willing to make your own ports and don't mind reporting bugs and patches, CRUX is great.

If you do decide to give CRUX a go, remember to set "runscripts yes" in /etc/prt-get.conf, and PKGMK_IGNORE_NEW="yes" in /etc/pkgmk.conf. Many ports have install scripts that create users for services, or rebuild databases for librsvg, so having runscripts enabled is nice. Also when the package have been built, the package manager will complain if the footprint is different from the one shipped from the maintainer. It is usually pointless to let it complain when you have more files than the maintainer did on their bare minimum system. The only footprint mismatches you really have to care about are ones that are missing files.

Thanks! I decided to give it a try.
I'll start reading the documentation now.

>performance and storage benefits
>compile customization options as Gentoo

God go fuck yourself.
Gentoo isn't so you can have optimum performance or shave down binary sizes, its meant to make having as many choices as possible as easy as possible.

It isn't streamlined, it isn't faster, it doesn't take less space or let you cut the fat by disabling support for a bunch of shit. Its that way so that you have the choice to do things however you want.

Most misunderstood fucking distro of all time.

>I moved to CRUX after getting tired of Gentoo and dealing with use flags and unmasking packages.

t. brainlet mixing stable and testing that probably didn't use a desktop profile that set all the sane useflags for him because muh rice.

No problem user, if you need help join the IRC there is a good bunch of people around.

>Gentoo isn't so you can have optimum performance or shave down binary sizes, its meant to make having as many choices as possible as easy as possible.

Everybody knows that, it's just that the choices I, and probably most people, make most likely result in the consequences I stated.

Based GookAnon

Ignore the namefag samefagging

Yes, to compile Firefox or thunderbird you first have to compile rust
But those are tiny examples
Chromium and anything based on WebKit (qutebrowser) take forever to compile on my thinkpad, and you need more than 4gb of ram otherwise it fails

At this point I don't bother anymore and grab a compiled copy of icecat from their website

nice watermark retard

Install Gentoo

I use it as my daily driver on both my desktop and thinkpad. People say it's a meme but I disagree, Gentoo is the most stable OS I've used in a while. But you do need a fuckton of free time

Attached: 726d21999f2a26099a4ffa141c77e97ff527ed0e9c8c63267603f287690fa78a.gif (640x360, 2.99M)

>gif
Piss off, boomer.

since they are your choices, that means whatever happens is your fault

>gcc
>xorg

>everyone saying it takes forever
try lfs

>let you cut the fat by disabling support for a bunch of shit
Actually it kind of does. This is a major effect of USE flags, you disable optional features to prevent unneeded libraries from getting emerged.