/hpg/-headphone general

Cute anime grill edition.

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 96c708e885c4170d9f60d8edf31482a6.jpg (736x414, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
youtube.com/watch?v=YB48jsRxpTY
youtube.com/watch?v=I9OTOAKy2DY
youtube.com/watch?v=xduaRfSfTzk
youtube.com/watch?v=EXzJjhTiwq0
youtube.com/watch?v=zzTiaVq9RN0
youtube.com/watch?v=NujlXgBmUoU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

LOL, Stax being audiophool meme confirmed

A new meme was born in previous threads:

Stax incel - An audiophool who got memed into buying expensive electrostatic headphones which actually sound worse than a cheap mid-fi dynamics. Being a victim of buyers Stockholm syndrome Stax incel tries to defend his choice as hard as he can, but he always fails because you can't argue with facts. Stax incel is a part of "Most Valuable Goy" meme.

Attached: 1543026525983[1].jpg (658x768, 61K)

YES
this can be a good thread too?

>nostaxer
stax is our lord and savior, repent for your sins

Attached: palace of gold.png (727x1075, 1.11M)

>t. triggered stax incel

How does one know if you need an amp?

>ghost stories
I remember watching this when I was 11...good times

Attached: 1542504816614.png (1039x1500, 1.44M)

should I filter "$4000", " 17441", or "stax" & "k701"? this copy pasta and the baited are getting too tiresome.

they are uncomfortable. There is the biggest flaw

new thread, new nostaxer samefagging show

only the L300 pads

Prepare yourself gonna bring something to the table you wont expect

Attached: 20181117_193925.jpg (4032x3024, 3.43M)

the multi thread nostaxer meltdown continues

Attached: fedorashrek.jpg (353x334, 19K)

just filter out "stax" and "blind tests", because sometimes that incel faggot doesn't mention K701s

I love my hd600's. Yes, their sound doesn't immediately WOW you. That's because the hd600 isn't a try-hard. It doesn't have murderous treble or shaking sub-bass, though just enough mid-bass. It's a headphone that putsthe emphasize on perfect vocals and imaging.

It's like a classy lady that always performs, no matter the day or time.

>a classy lady
>released in 1997

you mean a voiceless hag with brittle bones

I remember Jow Forums used to fanboy for a type of sub-$100 open headphones that were purple, anyone remember what model that was?

I agree. from here on out "stax" "nostax" "incel" are being filtered. blind tests are staying for now.

But what if I actually need that 40Hz subbass without EQing?

Purple open headphones under 100?

tfw dx3pro is come owo

Attached: burchan83.jpg (1028x848, 99K)

bu ystax

You could always filter out the "aes" in the link, because honestly, I haven't seen anyone posting this research without shitposting in mind.

It just seems the same as my old pair desu. I'm trying it on a dac/amp that is sorta better than the onboard. Maybe comparable to schiit stack. All I notice so far is its louder.

Then the hd600 is lacking and you should avoid senheissers and start looking at hifiman he-400i or the k712

Hi

Attached: L700_2.jpg (1500x1500, 238K)

And louder is all it's going to be, unless you want it to sound better. You just need to believe hard enough.

why does that qt make anons so angry?

Attached: cute.png (774x542, 199K)

great idea, I'll add that to full remove filter. not too many encryption specificatio / pfsense CPU questions are asked often here

Listen to some jazz on a tube amp with it. You'll understand by then.

>You just need to believe hard enough.
I BELIEVE IN SENNHEISERS!

Maybe I'll have to go into an audioshop and compare a bunch of headphones.

But muh 569 has amazing bass.
>tfw no soundstage because closed

Some people can't handle how based it is.

Attached: 1525694268395.jpg (334x506, 42K)

I have a good question. Typically you need an amplifier to play music from headphones with high impedance on a small player. But do you need an amp if you plug your headphones into a PC?

I'm fiddling around with my GX1 computer now and notice music sounds punchier with the headphones plugged in. Could the 400W of power substitute for an amp?

In short; do you even need an amp if you use some high quality headphones in a PC?

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Good OP. Cute anime grill is the way. Feet is a nice bonus.

Attached: 1523012807722.png (1920x1080, 1.96M)

depends on a headphone but an external amp will always sound like your motherboard or better in some headphones

S T A X

Attached: supertophatmegasupreme.png (331x10000, 160K)

HD 600 sucks

>Budget
$300, but would rather spend less
>Location
Canada
>Source
PC, motherboard has good integrated sound, but would also be plugging into Vive
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
High
>Sound signature
Good bass
>Past headphones
ATH-m40x, RHA-750

I want to get some new ones preferably on sale because cyber monday

sort yourself out, OP

Attached: Screenshot_20181126-021807.jpg (1080x1920, 345K)

>sucks
That's a silly way to spell rocks.

I have it and I can confirm it sucks.

nice

quads of truth

It's getting space-optimized :X
Get your ears checked, the sooner the better. Whatever damage you have might still be reversible.

based

hd600 dabbed on

Can't argue with those

>Get your ears checked, the sooner the better. Whatever damage you have might still be reversible.
My ears are ACKSUALLY in good condition last time I went to doctor. I can barely hear a difference in most of the music I listen to. The only significant difference I found is when gayming that everything feels too mushed together when playing FPS. it feels as if I can't tell? Where everything is coming from.

Yeah, HD600 may not be the most technically proficient headphone ever, but it has extremely good tuning especially regarding vocals. If you try to go back to cheaper headphones after getting used to how human voice sounds on HD600, it sounds so artificial and unnatural. There’s a very good reason why it has been a classic model for 21 years now.

At least it's not as bad as Stax shitphones

Nothign else compares
youtube.com/watch?v=YB48jsRxpTY

You couldn't pay me to wear those.

>mushed
Perhaps try an external amp+dac like the DX3 Pro for debugging? Maybe a colleage can lend you one?

youtube.com/watch?v=I9OTOAKy2DY
youtube.com/watch?v=xduaRfSfTzk

Attached: image.jpg (882x758, 271K)

>Maybe a colleage can lend you one?
No one I know is an audiophile. I tried listening to music on my LG v40 and I heard the dac+amp is decent on it. It mostly just sounds louder. Really don't want to spend a lot of moneys on this fuck.

yes goy throw in another $100 that will definitely make them sound great

>Z
>unironically
>sound demos
>unironically

Attached: 1522654183225.png (1920x1080, 1.7M)

Lower the volume as much as you can (better for your ears, and lower power requirement from source), and let your ears adjust. Give it a few days.
If coming from less neutral headphones, they'll just sound "boring" to you at first. The detail will come through later, when your ears/brain adjust,

Do those even work? Like how can this actually do anything when you are playing it from your own headphone so......

Stax sound like shit anyway, it's a scientific fact

hd600 is the janny headphone

Attached: 1541397895495.jpg (1190x839, 157K)

I'm acksually coming from neutral headphones too from sennheiser. And I only listen to volume barely 10%-20% on computer. Although the soundstage on my previous headphones were definetely better i think.

>Again this superstereo binaural effect. Why the hell this sounds better than original recordings in my headphones?
kek
his sound demos aren't useful for understanding how a headphone really sounds but you can use it to compare two headphones

Hd6 series headphones sound smaller than many closed backs, wouldn't be surprised.

I own Staxes myself and I still will never understand how they have became such a forced meme here. Sure, most electrostat models rank among the best headphones on the market, but I personally don’t think that they’re always the best ones for every situation and taste, there are cases where I find some planar or dynamic models better to listen to. It’s not like their existence obsoletes everything else, they’re just a really solid option among many others.

I can admit that nothing really beats Stax if you’re talking about detail or ability to keep up with even the most complex musical passages, but their bright-ish tuning isn’t always the best fit for every genre and some kinds of music could really use that more impactful bass that dynamic drivers deliver. Stax goes deep, but it doesn’t seem to hit hard, same thing as with planars. But my experienced are from Lambda series (own L300 Limited, tried others) and 009 (tried it multiple times), it could be that 007 would be the perfect fit for me because it supposedly has a darker tuning while keeping all electrostat strengths.

I miss dabbing on the hd600 daily

Attached: 1351A68A-FAF9-4364-AD86-EA3909BB5CC2.png (388x389, 79K)

HD598 and similar do exaggerate soundstage artificially so that everything sounds far away. The HD600 doesn't. Once you adapt, the old setup will sound horrible to you instead.
I seldom put the HD598 on for nostalgia purposes and christ, they're horrid.

>it could be that 007 would be the perfect fit for me because it supposedly has a darker tuning while keeping all electrostat strengths.
seal your stax and learn how to EQ. boost your subbass and pull down your treble

>tuning
EQ
>bass
Seal it
>007
Best darkphones in the universe

HD6XX, finished season 1 yesterday (that was amazing), then watched Jin Roh...that really brought emotions I did not I have...any other movies like Jin Roh?

Attached: 1543185133348.jpg (647x658, 85K)

They were open back though.
I don't know man... They really aren't that impressive and aren't a big difference in day to day use. What am I suppose to be looking for in the HD 600? Just details that I wouldn't notice in the background of music?

>Stax goes deep, but it doesn’t seem to hit hard
bass impact is just loudness

sorry

Attached: 1542580509187.gif (500x602, 746K)

is sennheiser ran by hook nosed kikes?
>their most popular model is literally two decades old
>they're still selling it with a premium price tag like it's current tech
>they could have at the very least improve its awful build quality, materials and comfort to make up for the price
>they did not
>there's cheap chinkfi that's built better nowadays

Check some pure analog music: youtube.com/watch?v=EXzJjhTiwq0

Attached: 2018-11-25 19_37_35-Death Stranding Theme on Korg Minilogue - YouTube.jpg (594x346, 24K)

Yeah they are which is kind of funny. They're open back yet sound smaller and more narrow than closed backs.

Attached: 1508558127632.gif (773x512, 53K)

You look lonely user

youtube.com/watch?v=zzTiaVq9RN0

Attached: 1507597948126.jpg (2000x1000, 226K)

>love live s1 finished
Next is the OVA, which is more like a short episode at 15 minutes, very lighthearted and happy.
After that is S2, which is way better than S1. And the feels run heavy there.
They're just right. It'll click eventually. Just listen to your usual music.

Attached: 1534242653399.png (1920x1080, 1.5M)

God damn it user. How is that suppose to make sense? I might as well keep my old pair and just get practically the same out of them and possible better in gayming

That's up to you to decide

Attached: 1506360906328.jpg (3840x5760, 3.42M)

>God damn it user. How is that suppose to make sense?
it's not. idol trash gaslights anyone who doesn't like the hd600. he does this anytime someone comes in with impressions on the hd600 but he won't admit it. it's your ears! it's not enough burn in time! you're lacking a schiit stack! it's your source material!

FUCK SENNHEISER IN THE ASS

the absolute motherfuckers

shame on you Jow Forums for recommending this garbage

bought the hd650 5 years ago. Sennheiser being capitalist pigs made the internal driver cables so flimsy they cut themselves. I've had two "drivers" JUST HAPPEN TO FAIL within 5 months of each other.
And by that I mean the drivers are fucking fine, but the internal cables degraded, and they are not replaceable without fucking the driver up.

Just the right time for sennheiser to make some money. Planned obsolescence, thats what you fucking pay for.

thanks a lot Jow Forums

Advice is to not touch your old set and use just the HD600 for a week or two. It won't take you much to start hearing the difference.

Alright I'll give it a week. I don't know man. I won't wear any other pair of headphones and see what happens. But after that I'm going straight to the store to try on different headphones. Hopefully I didn't just waste a lot of money on these.

>idol trash gaslights anyone who doesn't like the hd600.
That's not true, user.
>you're lacking a schiit stack! it's your source material!
That's comic-tier strawman.

There are people that have had theirs for 10-20 years. If you treat it like a baby, it will never fail on you.

But yes. I ubderstand your arguments. They could've at least improved on the older models with the exterior more. Even if it was just to give the impression they were more robust. It's alot of plastic. But same can be said of stax.

how noticeable is it when my DAC Isnt giving my headphones the power it need? I have the takstar pro 82 and Im not sure if my onboard audio is enough

Its no use to keep them if you dont like them after a week or so, just return and get something else. I like mine so I keep them, but if I didnt like them after a week of listening I would return

Attached: 1510605949558.jpg (1000x667, 72K)

>That's comic-tier strawman.
I would go through the archives to expose your ass but I honestly just don't care, it won't affect you anyways

What this actually does is it biases your brain in favor of whatever is new. Do the same thing with your old headphones after and you might notice something the same effect.

are headphones just a meme then? Can I just buy a pair of $50 headphones and be happy with them?

Wanna have an experience? listen to this: youtube.com/watch?v=NujlXgBmUoU

Attached: 1507499113025.gif (500x281, 2.8M)

Not him, but i'll answrr it for you. I had the 668B's for two years bought at 25 eurobucks, and sound wise i was more than content. They seemed just perfect. But superlux headphones have this limp dick jack, and the clamping is annoying af. So because of this i moved on and upgraded, but it wasn't because of the sound.

So if you find a pair that ticks all your boxes
>Sound
>Comfort
>Durability

Then there's no reason to spend 300-3000, when you would be content at 50-100.

Recommendations for under $30 headphones that are comfortable?

>Z shilling L700
Still watching. It's long.
But hell, he shills them hard.

Attached: 1530626695226.png (1920x1080, 1.22M)