>read retarded forums and wikis to work around stupid distro-specific quirks
>decide to try OpenBSD one day
>disk encryption just works
>network config just works
>getting firmware just works
>pkg just works
>rcctl just works
>can't game tho so try going back to Linux or FreeBSD at least
>can't for the life of me stand a second setting up shit to only have it fail for some inexplicable reason
>mfw almost every OS I tried is shit
>mfw OpenBSD is the white man's OS
Jesus F. Christ this is a dream. The only sacrifice is gaymz (and I do like my games) to get the just works treatment. FreeBSD and Linux are unironically cucked into oblivion when it comes down to it. It's a shame OpenBSD's asshole is tighter than a nun's but hey it just works and it's sparkling clean.

Why aren't hipsters getting on this action? Do you need your stupid indie games and OBSD btfo'd you? Stop making your life more complicated and take the OBSD pill.

Attached: 1542523237003.png (1280x1290, 1.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/plat.html
openbsd.org/innovations.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>wuf hi from 1994

Just buy a Sony RISC PC if you want to play games, it even runs a fork of FreeBSD by default.

Just dual boot for gaymen

>can't game
I've gamed on OpenBSD before.

How is ARM support?
>using (((x86))) in 2018

arm64 is one of OpenBSD's three primary architectures. Unfortunately, OpenBSD does not support RISC-V yet, to my knowledge.

I pretty much given it
up on doing that. Windows is my gaming platform at this point.
openbsd.org/plat.html

Neat, sgi support.

There are tons of quality emulators for OpenBSD though. Any 2D Nintendo game you want to play, you can play.

t. meme-core

Attached: 1519413430117.jpg (3476x2048, 663K)

just dual boot windows or get another windows computer specifically for gaming

Thanks. I like playing pleb browser games and they run like shit in OpenBSD. I guess I have to switch to emulators since I can't see myself hopping one more time.
I only have OpenBSD at this time. I don't have any strong reason to hop back to Windows or Linux.

>mfw OpenBSD is the white man's OS
It truly is. It's so logical and simple.

Attached: tech priest.png (749x1200, 1.65M)

archlinux with retina display doesn't have this problem :^)

>all the things that work in any major Linux/BSD distro work on openBSD
>that makes it special
what did he mean by this

>Linux software development in a nutshell
The Linux ecosystem suffers from too much half-baked ideas rolled into one big shitball. If GNU/Linux is so great, why do I need a unique wiki for each and every distro? Why can't Linux ppl just develop a single thing that works and makes fucking sense?

OpenBSD is the fruit of keeping shit simple and sticking to principles, not from trying to be popular or "innovative."

>one big shitball
>unique wiki for each and every distro
Are you having a sugar high, lad?

It's true tho

Attached: 1520721030323.jpg (534x1236, 185K)

But it's not even intrinsically logically sound. You seem to be upset at your own incompetence more so than anything else.

If your goal is an OS that just works, you might want to try this new one called Microsoft Windows 10. Coming from MS-DOS, it's honestly quite impressive.

OpenBSD doesn't have a bunch of wikis because it sucks.

lol

Linux has so much choice that it can't do one thing right.
>X many init systems
>X many audio systems
>X many initramfs generators
>a billion package managers
>even has a couple of display servers but grandpa X is still supreme even though it's considered "shit"
Stop the woodworks.

>i like my games

It can't run all software you need therefore it does not "just works". Windows would be a better choice for you.

I didn't realize the BSDs had an alternative to X.

Well, yeah. Pick what works for you and enjoy it. I'm not sure what your point is.

>he didn' write have his own initramfs generator
>get out

>windows
Not too excited about DOS.
>angry NPC response
>what is context
>fragmentation and proliferation in the Linux community = quality
Stay deluded.

What's a Sony RISC PC? Startpage can't find that

OpenBSD plays the long game.

What is even the point of your screeching? Why are you on this board?

ps4

My point is that OpenBSD focuses on doing on doing things that fit the bill and remain simple. One of my main annoyances with distros is that they all have their own special ways of doing things and none of them measure up to expectations.

If other people are content, then that's fine. I am just mainly annoyed with what seems like mindless software generation and low quality.

Just do one thing and do it well when it comes to the low-level stuff like OpenBSD.

Does it come with a DE?

That gave me a hearty kek on the bus

You are living in the Matrix and need God's divine wisdom, cuck. Take the redpill. Linux is CoC'd and can't agree on one, efficient way of doing things when it matters.

OpenBSD is the way.

Why are you juxtaposing OpenBSD with the totality of Linux distros? At any given time you're using one. Your mental diarrhea makes no more sense than saying "why do Free/Open/NetBSD do things differently instead of being like Debian".

No thanks, I like to do stuff other than running servers or routers.

>muh gaymes
>cuck redpill CoC
>doesn't understand what Linux is
Stay in your containment boards, please.

Stop defending literal garbage, You can't start fixing the fundamental problem if you keep pretending they are not there, my fellow intellktual.
>68661391
Install it via pkg. X is included in the sets.

>stop being argumentative and just agree with me
This isn't Jow Forums, sweaty.
>You can't start fixing the fundamental problem
There's plenty of problems in Linux world, but whatever it is you're struggling to epicly buzzword isn't one of them.

Play Station 3 or something like that.

Games are for children

>I will point out your use of buzzwords and follow up with my own
>defending hot garbage
sub-100 iq

>all these poor, invested Linux-bois that spent hours ricing

>X is garbage and you're dumb
Fascinating.

Yeah how dare he like something you don't like.

>no arguments left
Absolute state. Can't even defend the decisions of the droves of pink-haired koders that made nu-Linux what it is.
>tfw everyone is dumb but me

There's another child invested board to post his garbage. I dont care what OS he is running, because the second he mentioned vidya was the very moment he revealed himself to be a sub IQ manchild. Burn in hell you waste of fucking space

Why do you keep shitting up this board with /b/ tier autism?

Who raped your inner child, friend?

windows 7 is the "just works" OS and it has the benefit of being able to do things without having to memorized a bunch of stupid command line bullshit

t. Buttblasted gaymers

Why do you keep giving me (you)s big brain? Rise above it and fuck off. :^)
>t. tfw 2 intellijent 4 fun

>I was pretending to be retarded all along
>twas an epic 1 (you) per post trolling operation
Damn, the 9gag army has pwned me again. Have another one for free.

It comes with a window manager but not a real desktop environment. You can certainly work from it if you want to. Adding a desktop is very easy and there are lots of instructions and videos online.

Attached: login-screen.jpg (1366x703, 33K)

Wtf I hate routers and servers now

SH4 support is good.

>implying I was not being sincere the whole time
Nah. This is an unironic thread. I unironically think I am smarter than you. Every (you) and trigger-word just keeps showing how unwilling/incapable you are to have a big-brain discussion on this Mongolian basket-weaving forum.

I don't get why this topic would elicit such raw anger and irrationality.

I merely said why OpenBSD is better than Linux and FreeBSD.

As said, OpenBSD comes with a window manager. You can add a modern desktop environment if you want to.

>needing a tutorial to add basic functions such as a fucking window manager
>great OS

Do you fucking incels understand how retarded this is? Actual industry pros use MacOS or Windows for anything that isn't server hardware. Enjoy LARPing with your gentoo compiling or whatever the fuck it is you do when you pretend to be productive on your computer.

Attached: 1462299799760.png (464x470, 160K)

>admits to le ebyn baiting
>redoubles with rebbit-tier bait and the kitchen sink
Weak and sad.

There are plenty of free/open games which run on OpenBSD.

I think I would like to install open BSD
does it have a nonfree intel wireless driver? I require one for my thinkpad to function

OpenBSD packages are distributed in binary form and you won't need to do much if anything to get a DE going, bro.
>that guy who niggered himself

Using OpenBSD forces you to understand how the operating system works, and by extension how computers work in general. Before using OpenBSD you need to mentally accept the trade-off where you sacrifice convenience and gain security and gain understanding of how computers work.

Attached: RecreationalMcPuffy.png (1072x802, 68K)

Yes. Just run fw_update on a temporary internet connection like ethernet or tethering.

Install it with an ethernet cable and then configure the wireless after install. If you have a thinkpad you'll be fine. I have a Dell laptop and needed to physically swap the wifi card from another Dell laptop.

>Using OpenBSD forces you to understand how the operating system works
Imagine being this much of a delusional neet.

Attached: (JPEG Image, 228 × 221 pixels).jpg (228x221, 11K)

That's all fine and dandy if you wanna fuck around with low level shit without any abstraction layers, it's not good for any kind of productive work.

Attached: 1352579624461.png (323x454, 232K)

what do the build tools look like on openBSD?
on GNU we have gcc and make

It's true. On more mainstream OS's you hardly ever need to edit any config files or understand what's going on behind the scenes.

>Before using OpenBSD you need to mentally accept the trade-off where you sacrifice convenience and gain security and gain understanding of how computers work.

Or you could just use Gentoo because portage is literally a better version of ports and Linux a batter version of BSD.

Some people's productive work is to fuck around at the low level layers.

OpenBSD does not have frills and is simple. It has systems in place to configure nice things like SMT or GPU memory. If you know Linux then you can get around OpenBSD just fine.

But yeah no delusions with the tradeoffs thing.

>edit any config files
Yeah, that's where that sentence ends, fatso.

>openBSD has binary and source packages available
>gentoo has only source (and a few select binary) packages
nani

It's not an RTOS, calm down.

Netbsd is better

Make, clang, and gcc off the top of my head. C libraries are a little different.
That's GNU/Python2/Python3/Linux. Don't forget the important contributions of a metric fuckton of snakescript.

>Make, clang, and gcc off the top of my head. C libraries are a little different.
So BSD uses GNU tools? That's a bit weird

OpenBSD switched to using Clang just recently last year AFAIK but otherwise you'll probably find the same tools you use on Linux. Dunno about GLIBC.

What's your point?

OpenBSD is very clean and easy to learn. The system design is logical and consistent and documentation is thorough, with good examples. Give it a try. :3

Does it have any software supporting it at all?
Even linux seems to be supported more.

It has a lot of networking software. It's a purely server/router OS and there's no good reason to bother with it save for curiosity or desire to actually contribute.

>Actual industry pros use MacOS or Windows
They use Linux too you Capitalist proprietary fuckwit

You can use it as a desktop OS. It has LibreOffice, GIMP, Krita, Firefox, Thunderbird, KDE and most of the other programs you would need to use it as a desktop computer.

>OpenBSD
>the documentation is thorough
Holy Fucking Shitballs No. The documentation is terrible at best, and often completely non-existent. It's not rare to end up reading the documentation for other BSDs and hoping it applies to whatever you're trying to do.

>OpenBSD is the fruit of keeping shit simple and sticking to principles, not from trying to be popular or "innovative."
openbsd.org/innovations.html

read the manpages

also so much fucking hate all these /v/irgin polfags brigading and trying to shill an OS for anything other than code quality. no actual contributors give a fuck about the code of conduct shit, because they’re too busy being productive and healthy members of society to waste their lives circlejerking over racist internet conspiracies. openbsd is a gr8 OS but because code quality not politics. this long ass thread is drenched in political shit but not one of you faggots cared to mention sinoid and how trash pulse is, or how openbsd is running their own fork of x that runs as a separate user because we all know how awful that insecure and ancient eldritch horror of a codebase is. the absolute fucking state of neog go an hero all of ya

People make software for Linux, not BSD.

>hurf durf i'm unable to read the complete sentence hurr durr i'm a fucking retard durrrrr

People make operating systems out of BSD. MacOS, PlayStation OS, and countless commercial router, firewall, VPN and load balancer operating systems are built from BSD.

Elaborate, please.

>can't game
Can't you just build retroarch and dosbox on OpenBSD?

Windows 7 is the official OS of Jow Forums. Lurk more newfag.

BSD is like 40 fucking years old. Get with the times you autists. Fucking butthash smoking hippie bearded stallman wannabes. Get a real PC and install Windows on it, instead of pretending like you're some computer wizard with no need for a GUI

Attached: 1362771195849.jpg (267x189, 11K)

You can't install windows anymore, just infect a PC with it.

>make
>clang
>"GNU tools"