Why doesnt anyone make a new operating system...

Why doesnt anyone make a new operating system? As in not a linux distro but something completely new and engineered with modern technologies and techniques?

Attached: 1534907577151.jpg (1024x1024, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

urbit.org
linux.com/publications/estimating-total-cost-linux-distribution
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because the base/underlying technology is fundamentally old, and making a 'new operating system' with 'modern technologies' would simply be abstracting this fact.

I've often wondered this myself. I suppose its the massive amount of effort involved.

That's what Redox or Haiku are user.
But people really just care about hardware support. And Linux is good enough.

terry davis unironically did this

>modern

>cia

What's the point? Even if you managed to make one, it's going to have poor hardware and software support.

Gotta start somewhere

urbit.org

manga better, she thicc

I think a way to make a modern OS kick off without the hardware and software support of the current OS ecosystem is to offer extremely efficient and powerful VM support built-in to the OS.

Lots of people make operating systems. It is hard to get that far without a pretty large team and quite a bit of time, but plenty of projects like haiku and beos and funky plan9 variants and templeos and so forth exist.

Jow Forums could do it.
I'll make the logo!

Google is developing Fuchsia with the Zircon microkernel, so there are still new operating systems being developed.

Redox OS

because the only person both capable of doing so and dedicated enough to spend the insane amount of time it takes to do it fell victim to the cia niggers

> Google
Disregarded.

it's open source with a permissive licence so it's guaranteed to have a de-googled fork maintained by floss neckbeards like yourself

Jokes on you I just make logos.

t. cia glow in the dark nigger

>not shitposting from your huawei phone running fushia

So uraraka is an ugly girl in the manga huh?

Because it would take billions of dollars or 25 years of open source time before it was any good.

>linux.com/publications/estimating-total-cost-linux-distribution

>Why doesnt anyone make a new operating system?
They are.

But the Problem is that an Operating system is about the most complex piece of software imaginable, that is completely useless without software for it, which makes new Operating systems completely useless, unless they get supported.
There is simply absolutely no need for any company to seriously put their money into a new OS, it is from every possible standpoint a retarded Idea.

Tons of people do this, but it's hard and obscure so not many are maintained / succeed.

real problem is driver support
even linux is suffering with its relatively large userbase

The patterns and ideas in linux can be reused in a newer OS. It's not totally from scratch.