/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Friendly GNU+Linux Thread.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1526589386466.png (800x1280, 654K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/audio/gnu-pronunciation.ogg
gnu.org/audio/how-gnu-was-named.ogg
github.com/void-linux/void-packages/pull/4652
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217
aur.archlinux.org/packages/rxvt-unicode-better-wheel-scrolling/
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/?h=rxvt-unicode-better-wheel-scrolling
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for the OP has too much useless shit in it.
First for all downstream distos (those which are based on other ones) are shit.

Install dicks in my mouth

Just got new pc
Hackintosh or Ubuntu?
I'm not going to install gentoo. I want my pc to just work without wasting my time

Post a better OP, fag.

>too much useless shit in it.
It's a fucking reposted general, its literally spam with zero OC and zero creativity perpetuated by some sad fuck out of desperation to feel like he is part of a community that quite literally is designed to not give a fuck about him.

OP is like those abused girlfriends that can't help but keep trying harder and harder.

NORMALFAGS GET OUT REEE

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis-take in your post. Luckily, the users of Jow Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Oh how I wish there was a distro like gentoo but with a "default" set of programs that you can install as binary

"""
Thread title: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old thread: >>xxxxxxx

Post your GNU/Linux questions and discussion here.
""""

I've always liked that way /dpt/ does it. No bullshit, straight to the point.

Dude, I've been using ganoo+Linux for years

>Oh, I wished there would be vegan meat

>Oh how I wish I could have my cake and eat it too

But we need a cool line too.
What's the /fglt/ version of
>what are you working on?

look into calculate/sabayon/nixos

How is NixOS related?

The name “GNU” is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not Unix!”; it is pronounced as one syllable with a hard g, like “grew” but with the letter “n” instead of “r”.

This is a recording of Richard Stallman saying “GNU” and another with a short explanation about how GNU was named:

· gnu.org/audio/gnu-pronunciation.ogg
· gnu.org/audio/how-gnu-was-named.ogg

binary distros exist

yeah but they don't have portage
I'm looking at sabayon right now and it seems like it might be what I am looking for

it optionally lets you waste time compiling from source and iirc it lets you customize the packages to some degree but i can't find any documentation on it

>they don't have portage
if you just want portage: github.com/void-linux/void-packages/pull/4652

all distros are source based

>python

So I've been using GNU/Linux for the past 5 yrs, and took a UNIX/Linux class a few months ago and did pretty well in it. I feel pretty comfortable with the command line, though I've never used any non-debian distros that have GUI installers, should i give Arch Linux a try on my x220?

there's really no point
you won't learn anything new about gnu/linux
stick with debian. just do a netinstall and dont select any of the package groups at the end
it's more minimal than arch

So I just got GalliumOS set up on my Chromebook (coreboot, not dual boot with ChromeOS), what's a good IRC client for Linux?

Is there any way to get larger thumbnails in Ubuntu + Firefox? Currently I don't see some thumbnails and those that get thumbnails are like really really small.

Not a troll question.

I have some things stored on my second harddrive, can I still install linux on that drive and boot from it?

I'd recommend just wiping the drive, back the data up elsewhere, cause if you're a first time Linux user you won't know how to set up the partitions properly.

Linux

No.

Couldn't I just partition the drive on windows and then install there from my installation media?

yeah but then you have to set up the Linux partitions manually, as installers tend to be retarded and don't know what to do if a partition is already on the drive.

Ah, schaisse.
What is the reason for the thumbnail behavior anyway? Is there some patent that's copyrighted or?

>notice aegisub release is 4 years old
>build it from git
>it's the same

Attached: 1520400865600s.jpg (125x95, 2K)

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

>expect high quality memes
>get frog thumbnails

lots of thumbnails look better than their full size tho

see gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217 for an example
tldr - drag and drop from Files
also gtk3 has recursive type to search which is nice

i agree with this user, it's also written bad
> %command%
wtf is this windows shit in my gnu thread

i'd like to also point out that neither does Qt have thumbnails - even microscopic ones

That's because Qt's file picker is merely meant as a fallback. It's supposed to use native ones. On most Linux desktops that native file picker is sadly the shitty GTK one.

>What distro are you hopping to?

wait? i've never seen a qt application use the gtk open/save window

Then you fucked something up in your configuration.

My fan is louder than I think that it should be, but I can't see anything in my System Monitor that would explain what's pushing it. Where should I be looking?

install clover

top or htop

Thanks, this looks relevant. But I have no idea how to read this or what I should be reading in to it.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-26 10-53-52.png (630x204, 41K)

try htop, has much more features

Weird. I could swear that IceCat wasn't nearly as bad before I took the screenshot. I've only got one tab open!

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-26 10-55-13.png (603x147, 31K)

IceCat, and in particular its plugin manager, is occasionally spiking in CPU use when I'm not even as much as looking at the browser. What could be causing this?

Here's my plugin list.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-26 10-58-35.png (1060x524, 94K)

Is IceCat 60.3.0 a stable build? I don't know where to find the details, but apparently I'm a version behind and have failed to set up anything that should tell me that I've not got the last version.

If it's on generic GNU mirrors, not the alpha one then its considered stable.

only place i've seen qt stuff look like gtk is in gnome 3

sensors

>uses meme software
>wonders what could be the issue

I know that distro, it's gentoo.

So, someone did try to tweak AMDGPU power consumption and fan speed? I've searched and found some things and options but I will feel safer with a sheet with all options.

I know I can edit things echo performance > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state but I will feel better knowing all I can put.

Qt programs will use the GTK file picker in pretty much every preconfigured distro that uses a GTK desktop. Works just fine on Xubuntu for example.
On KDE or LXQt it will be substituted by their respective file pickers of course.

>using google

>ata6.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0xffffffff SErr 0x0 action 0x0
>ata6.00: irq_stat 0x40000008
>ata6.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
>ata6.00: cmd 60/08:f8:90:57:46/00:00:a0:00:00/40 tag 31 ncq dma 4096 in res 41/40:08:90:57:46/00:00:a0:00:00/00 Emask 0x409 (media error)
>ata6.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
>ata6.00: error: { UNC }
Interestingly the RAID array doesn't report the drive as faulty and just keeps on trucking:
> md/raid:md122: read error corrected (8 sectors at 2672185232 on sdf2)
I ordered a new HDD anyway. I expect to have this technology tomorrow. Here's my question for fglt: Is there some handy program that will read and write the entire HDD and mark blocks that are faulty as bad? This is a 2TB HDD so I assume I could (ab)use part of it as a temporary storage area for downloading torrents or whatever if it's just a part of one platter or a track that's bad. Shame to just throw the drive away if half of it's usable somehow.

Attached: hdd-problem.jpg (1796x976, 598K)

yes, there is, learn to use web search you brainlet.

what is a web search

Attached: anime-girl-with-questionmark.jpg (362x346, 36K)

what is your thoughts on mx 17? is it better than mint?

its the new manjaro (read: retard bait). Of course you can compare two piles of shit which one smells less, but you can also use distros which aren't shit.

what would be a (non shit) newbie distro? been struggling to decide what to use

I can no longer switch to ttys from inside Xorg, has anyone ever had this bug?
Running arch with proprietary nvidia drivers

I checked with xev and I do get the XF86Switch_VT_3 when pressing, for example, ctrl+alt+f3, but it still does not switch to tty3
Running chvt 3 works though, that switches me from X to tty3

A possibly related bug is that when I switch back to Xorg from tty, Xorg will freeze, but processes in the background keep playing(music etc)
This used to happen before even while I still could use ctrl+alt+F to switch ttys from inside X

I hope somebody has insights

Attached: 1516419387347.jpg (1920x1080, 129K)

unironically manjaro

Please give me a TLDR on how to use Wine.
I tried once and got quickly overwhelmed.

I need to run a shitty driver for a chinese tablet on my Ubuntu. I guess it need .NET and maybe something else.

you can't run drivers in wine

>I need to run a shitty driver for a chinese tablet on my Ubuntu
You cannot use wine for that: wine is for running userspace applications, not for drivers.

By tablet you mean "tablet pc" or "drawing tablet"?

thx for makng this thread OP

try xubuntu

I heard it does work sometimes. Somebody said they could do it.

Yes it's a driver for a drawing tablet with a gui and shit.

>GAISE HOW DO I DO X?
>sorry, you can't, here is why
>BUT SOMEBODY SAID YOU CAN
ok? do it then?

Assuming the chinese driver is a userspace application how would I normally run a program in Wine?

How would i normally run a supported software under wine?

bit ly 2PWAyhy

this shit doesn't google.

try Kubuntu
i use it

>How would i normally run a supported software under wine?
wine /path/to/executable/.exe

Path can be:
-full *nix path like /home/bwaka/Downloads/tcmdinstall.exe
-wangblows path like Z:\\home\\bwaka\\Downloads\\tcmdinstall.exe
You can set up virtual windows driver letters with winecfg

How do I run drivers under wine?

Bump

My machine won't boot into Grub anymore and I can't fix it.
I can get into Debian using grub rescue, but once inside I can't run sudo update-grub; I get an error of :
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 253: /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: cannot create /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new: Directory nonexistent

How can I fix this? What the fuck is going on?

echo performance | sudo tee > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state

there was some conf or something somewhere to dis/enable that, or it could be a noVidia bug

cd downloads/gaymes/cocks/
wine cocks.exe
might wanna see winecfg

echo performance | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state

there was some conf or something somewhere to dis/enable that, or it could be a noVidia bug

cd downloads/gaymes/cocks/
wine cocks.exe
might wanna see winecfg

i don't think you'e supposed to

what mail client, if any, do you use?
i'm trying out mailspring but it seems pretty shit. i want to know what else is out there/recommended.

Excellent, thanks.

IceCat does the job for me. If Quantum sucks as much as I think it will then I'll happily switch to another browser. What would you recommend?

>sensors
Sorry, what?

For some things it's just plain and simply the best. In particular, images searching and Google Scholar.

you don't, it's not designed for that
specifically, it doesn't run windows kernel-mode drivers, things that are called 'drivers' but are really just userspace programs that use common interfaces, they might work. for example, things which say, add support for a serial device to some software. wine supports serial IO, so such a 'driver' might work

sylpheed

Is there a way i can install this patch on debian?
aur.archlinux.org/packages/rxvt-unicode-better-wheel-scrolling/

Just use debian/devuan, why would anyone want to use mx over those?

my install sometimes hardlocks for no reason and I have to power off my laptop to get it going again. Any ideas? Running GalliumOS on a Chromebook (full UEFI custom FW, not dual boot).

yea, click on the upstream url

build it from source
the patches are located here: aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/?h=rxvt-unicode-better-wheel-scrolling
you may look at the PKGBUILD file to see how the build script does it, the variables and functions are documented on the arch wiki page for makepkg

TB or maybe one of the kde ones, haven't used them
don't fall for the clawmail/syphweed meme

>rxvt
absolutely disgusting

you know you can usually pipe output to more? well, why doesn't ffmpeg, ffprobe conform to that? how the fuck are you supposed to read it's output if it can't be redirected, wtf?

but you can

Attached: 2018-11-27-014025_568x390_scrot.png (568x390, 24K)

its possible but IDK how
also why do u need it
u can just install the linux one

how

that was just;
ffprobe -v error -print_format compact -select_streams 0:v:0 -show_entries frame=pict_type,pkt_pts_time | less

you can use more instead of less, but less is better, less is more