Do you like Python Jow Forumsbros?

Do you like Python Jow Forumsbros?

Attached: 421224124142.png (1890x800, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/p/raspberry-gpio-python/wiki/BasicUsage/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Python has become too large for its own good.
All these half baked libraries, abandoned projects and duplicated stuff.
Python is the gypsies of programming languages.

Consensus is "no". But I like it, it has useful applications.

Python is the best language if you ask me.

fuck no

no

It can be very ugly and slow but it satisfies my needs

I work with it, and I like it a lot, but I wish it had static typing. If you use the scipy stack, there will be very few cases where performance becomes a problem.

I wish I could work with kotlin, though. I think it's the best language out there right now

Python with Numpy/Pandas/Scipy is the best thing out there.
Python itself is meh.

it's gay and ugly and looks fucking retarded

I work with it and I hate it with a passion.
Python tooling was ahead of its time but now it's the biggest pile of un intuitive hacks I've ever seen. And the lib ecosystem is barely better.

So like your mother then?

It gets things done

Attached: 17523013.jpg (500x332, 28K)

Python is good only for code which runs once where developing time takes more time than runtime.

For fuck sake, its slower than java and java is slow as fuck.

>*Blocks your path*

Attached: 1-Y-QdVVj1adXj745T7rMKMg.png (1024x576, 47K)

Using it to download all the item icons from oldschool runescape right now.

Attached: 234873636.png (523x151, 10K)

Ialways try to shill python in every project. I was formed by python , molde by it.

*Dies in your path*

if it wasn't so slow it would be god-tier

cython bro

So, what's wrong with Python? A lot of things.
1. Dynamic typing: trivial mistakes that would've been caught by any compiler cause runtime errors, and require the Python programmer to write tests for every triviality imaginable. If you don't have the tests, then forget about automatic refactoring, and even then you'll have to rewrite them partially (and ensure you don't fuckup while doing so).
2. Shit-taste idioms: it's not uncommon for library writers to abuse the **kwargs parameters, because as if dynamic typing wasn't bad enough, now you have mystery parameters often not covered in the docs. For return types, I hope you like ad-hoc tuples, because named tuples are too typed for the Pythonista free-spirit.
3. Shit IDE support: related to dynamic typing, and to the idioms already mentioned, often you get little benefit from using an IDE. I won't bother debating the merits of an IDE for big projects, but having to worry about the little details and learning all APIs by heart seems the only way of being productive with Python.
4. SLOW AS FUCK: When using the default CPython interpreter, everything is slow as fuck. Yes, you could use PyPy, or compile to Cython, or maybe something more arcane... but the more you delve into making Python code run fast, the more you wish you just used a faster language.
5. Simple, but only superficially: other languages are honest in how complex they are. For C#/.NET you pick the "in a Nutshell" book for C#, and one of the CLR books if you want to learn about the CLR and you're done. With Python you're constantly learning about new gotchas when some "magic" doesn't work. It may be at first the import system, later it may be the object initialization lifecycle, and eventually you'll ask yourself how in the fuck the virtualenvs work, and so on. You're constantly being taught incomplete models by people who don't actually know wtf they're talking about. This happens everywhere, but in Python is way too common in comparison.

Is there a language with worse documentation?

>runs on jvm
>best language out there right now

Baby's first language

Is your baby a robot?

Can run on jvm if you want it to*

I only use it for small scripts basically, whenever I need to write something with a bit more complexity than I'm comfortable with dumping into a bash script. Does that job just fine and seems to have plenty of modules available easily so I never need to reinvent the wheel or go out of my way for something which would otherwise be a simple script.

My mommy loves me, unlike yours.

Attached: 1535553957622.png (1418x798, 1.22M)

BB was GOAT

As long as she is a lovable person, I see no problem agreeing with you.

Lua is better than python in every way.

Attached: Lua-logo-nolabel.svg.png (1200x1200, 72K)

No, python docs aren't even toilet paper grade

Lua is trash and is as slow if not slower than Python. Fuck yourself.
>but Cython bro duhhhh...
It still runs like shit.

For hacking things together quick in 2018 use Go, it runs as well as Java which isn't great but is far more acceptable.

What the fuck should I use then - scripting and small programs

assembly

Sure, brah

>Go
Stop sucking Google dick fellow baseddier.

As a non professional programmer since the BASIC days I praise Python for its accessibility to non experts.
Not having to deal with types nor memory management nor allocation was the key to open programming to a wider audience.

It's good for what it is, Elliot.

Did you just fucking assuming my gender, you bigot? You better not.

I can't believe I fell for the Python meme. I was getting into webdev and everyone assured me Python was the future.

Python is fucking retarded for anything more than scripting. Between the circular imports, weird magical meta variables, and retarded package management, working with Python for webdev is somehow worse than PHP. the whole "indentation for scoping" thing also sounded great on paper and looks awesome for smaller apps, but soon looks like a fucking mess for anything larger than the Flask tutorial application.

honestly, I love it to write scripts to save myself from time consuming tedious tasks. but I don't want to ever write a full fledged application with it.

yeah its pretty great. i use it for anything that has a bottleneck like io or http requests that makes its slowness not matter at all

/thread
Its indeed great to automate some stuff. But i think node can do everything python does noqadays, and also its better for web.

It's much faster than python when running with LuaJIT.

>java is slow meme
it can be faster then native programs b/c of run time optimizations

good as a command line tool shit for large projects

I believe you mean Jow Forumsnus

>node

Seen better, seen worse.I'd not use it for something very serious. I do like it though.

i like it cause it's fast to write

and i don't care what you fags say forced indentation is a good thing

Used it once or twice for mid sized projects and it was awful. Alright for short scripts.

What does Python do that C++ containers + algorithms doesn't?

Based

/weg/ leaking

Isn't Python an excellent go-to language for penetration testing? Also I thought it was the best tool to manipulate the web with.

Attached: serveimage.png (615x280, 9K)

Over the last 10 months, I’ve been learning programming by automating work shit with python. I’ve gone from basic report generation to web app task automation with selenium and email filing/writing with os and win32com. Every time I read threads here, I keep wondering if I should drop python for something else now that I have a better programming foundation, even tho I’m more interested in biostatistics/bio-focuses data science. Should I drop python and go for something like julia next? Or should I stick with python until I’m god-tier at it?

It is. This thread is full of beta edgelords.

Stop falling for Jow Forums memes and you'll be fine.

it's shitty programming language but a great tool for guys like

Every language thread ignores use cases.

>I need to reverse a list. Should I use Python?
>Pffft. You can't event make a game engine. Use C++.

I'm the guy who wrote
in my opinion, stick with it if you feel it makes you more productive. the language is still very popular and in high demand. the only reason you should drop it is if you find an alternative you think would make your life significantly easier.

Alright. Then my next question is more hobby focused. I’ve been researching the feasibility of a personal project with raspberry pi. For fun and a bit of professional curiosity, I want to make a water spraying car on a small track that would water plants in a long tube indoors.
RPI I know can be programmed with python. However, all I’ve read here indicates that if you’re programming hardware, you shouldn’t use an interpreted programming language. Is this a job for C? Or should I go the middle route and use Cython? If neither, then where are low level languages like C even used?

Thanks for responding. I guess I’m more worried about professional benefits than personal benefits when it comes to learning a language. Like I have a job now but it sucks. It’s admin in medical research and staying here makes me feel pathetic because I know that a metaphorical calculator could literally do this job now that I’ve automated so much of it. If there’s lots of job opportunities with python, then great. If not, then I wanna know what to look at next. At the end of the day, these languages are all tools to help us, not flags to die for. Whichever helps me provide for my family, I’ll learn it.

You can use python. Fuck the edgelords.
sourceforge.net/p/raspberry-gpio-python/wiki/BasicUsage/

Python is perfect for that in my opinion, but this thread just made me question my study as well...

Yeah it sucks. I thought having a med research background plus a lot of python experience would make me stupidly in demand. So far tho, still stuck at the same job. Maybe it’s just that the DC/Maryland area sucks and not my skills ...I hope.

I mean is it really edgy tho? It makes a logical kind of sense to use low level languages to program physical machines. But then again maybe I’m misunderstanding what low level languages are used for.

If you want real-world applicability beyond a script, like embedded, then you'd need C or similar. Most usecases don't require that, tho.

/thread

I hope that Python 4 is built from the ground up and is typed.

I've taken to using annotations and exceptions to force static typing.

not type hinting?

this

Attached: 1530715377323.gif (540x540, 1.13M)