In half a year, I'm going to get a Dell XPS 13 with the following specs:

In half a year, I'm going to get a Dell XPS 13 with the following specs:

i7 processor
16GB RAM
512GB SSD
Win10 Pro

Is this overkill? Money's no object, I'm saving so I can buy it in full.

Attached: notebook_xps_13_polaris_pdp_design_3.0.jpg (1200x800, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-flex-series/Lenovo-Ideapad-FLEX-6-14ARR/p/81HA000DUS
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's good.

every laptop that's over 500$ is basically a overpriced scam

how?

>money's no object
Sure, but why not save money and just get the Developer edition? You pay less on the operating system, which you can just pirate later on if you want to use Windows.

Do any of the XPS 13 laptops come with a dedicated GPU or are you stuck with an Intel iGPU?

pretty sure you can get a 1050 in there if you want

Nah, I just checked, the XPS 13 only has "Up to Intel® UHD Graphics 620" available. You can get a 1050 on the XPS 15 though.

you mostly paying for oversimplified products and that means they are saving money not spending more on it, just because its thinner doesn't mean it has to cost more, old laptops had a cd reader and tons of ports, modern laptops have just a usb-c port directly soldered into the motherboard, older laptops had modularity, cover for hard drive for ram replaceable battery... modern ones its all glued in meaning less components equal to cheaper production but even they saving money it cost even more...
The truth about pricing is that they adjust their prices based on their target demographic, if its a developer that makes 3k month laptop will cost 1k if its a socks designer that makes 5k laptop will cost 3k and it will shine and say "look how rich my owner is" its all a sham to extract the max amount of money from their target audience.

>Money's no object, I'm saving so I can buy it in full.

Actually money is an object since you don't have the money to buy it right now. The saying "Money is no object" means you can buy ANYTHING YOU WANT right now without even giving a fuck about the cost, so no, you're a long way from that.

If you're not buying a Latitude or a Precision laptop from Dell, don't waste your time. XPS = Inspiron and Inspiron models just aren't worth it, go for the business class or go the fuck home.

I was considering the XPS 15 but I want portability over a bigger screen. I don't really game on my current XPS 13.

I meant "When I have enough liquid cash to buy it, I don't care that much about the cost", then.

Are you so sure about the Latitude superiority? I use one for work and I certainly don't want this piece of shit for personal use.

Just got a 13" 2-in1 Latitude 7000-series myself, feels a lot more sturdy than my friends XPS.

Runs Debian like a charm too.

>t. njgger rich
Stay poor fag

How much did you get that for?

Alright, I'm open to more than Dell. Any other suggestions?

I'm looking at the 7390 now. I can get it through my work's purchase program. Looks snazzy

If you don't want to spend a ton, just get a top of the line that's 1-2 versions old used. Plenty of performance at a fraction of the cost. But yeah, that's a good setup.

With the i5, 512GB SSD and 8GB of memory it ran me 1300-something euroshekles, incl. tax. Didn't buy from Dell though, but from some random Dutch website.

Just a shame you can't get them with pre-installed Ubuntu like some of the Precision laptops, they charge you $100 for the Windows Pro license that comes with the computer.

That's the one. It's sturdy yet light, gud keyboard too, I love it.

Am I a loony for wanting to drop 1500 on a brand new laptop when I can get the same one for like sub 1000 if I go for a refurb?

No offense but nobody cares. Buy whatever you want.

Every premium product is

Just looking for advice, man

>2019
>buying the intel jew
lol ur dumb.

Where's the AMD laptops faggot

Why would you waste that much Money on a laptop? Just get a used Thinkpad x220 and for spend the money on your desktop computer.

Older laptops had 768p displays, 5200rpm hdds, 2gb ram and 2hours battery.
Modern laptops have 1080p or 4k, nvme ssds, 16gb and 8-10 hours battery, aluminium/carbon chassis, touchscreen

Enjoy your celeron and 4gb of ram uma delica

>Money's no object
>I'm saving so I can buy it in full
If you need to save for it, then you most definitely can't say money is no object.

It depends on your use case, I would highly doubt you would need more than 8GB of RAM unless your running multiple VMs all the time. SSDs are generally always good, I7 is probably overkill.
In general I would say the no1 thing you want on a laptop would be battery life.

Attached: hat.gif (43x50, 27K)

You're overkilling it.

> i7 processor
Never buy a i7 in a laptop, unless it is the HQ line. You won't get a lot of extra power like in a PC, it's not worth. Buy an i5 instead.

> 16gb ram
it's ok

> 512 SSD
Buy 256, you need no more for the daily use files, store the extra files in a external hdd or NAS.

A XPS like this will cost around $1200 usd, you'll save around $600 usd.

Attached: Ds7DJsXV4AABuEA.jpg (1440x1440, 336K)

Alright, I'll save my money then. Thanks user

Get a $200 laptop and rent a cheap ass VPS every time you need to perform some heavy tasking. You machine will not get hot, no need to keep it running and open all the time and almost zero usage beyond standard tasks means that 200 bucks HW will survive longer than your maxed XPS.

Already built a desktop this year, with Jow Forums's help.

>tells us his laptop specs
>doesn't specify GPU
Look at this faggot pretending he needs power

What do you suggest, user

>1080p or 4k
what's the point of having fullhd screen in terminal based environment?
>nvme ssds
you can upgrade older laptops with ssds for mere 50€ - so that's not an issue
>16gb ram
same story as with ssds, my t430 came in fact with 16gb ram (which was extended from 8gb according to the seller if I recall correctly)
>aluminium/carbon chassis
which is a bad thing
>touchscreen
what would you ever need the touchscreen for?

No, and Windows 10 generally works fine with anything over 8GB so you shouldn't even need to change the OS.

Why do you need so much CPU power? Do you game or render videos?

not him but the mate book x pro has an mx150

I game on my desktop, not my laptop. That's why I'm thinking of paring this back so I can spend like 1/3 of what I originally planned.

that would be useless because the dell xps 13 doesn't have a gpu lol

no, the 1050 is only available on the XPS 15 not the 13

> what's the point of having fullhd screen in terminal based environment?
What is tmux and real state
> which is a bad thing
why is alloy chassis a bad thing?

Attached: wvuHAWq.jpg (1350x1800, 333K)

>buy a 500 bucks laptop
>upgrade to 16gb and a shit sata ssd
>now you're left with a shit quality laptop, with no fingerprint, no thunderbolt, shit display, you've paid 1000 bucks
Good choice

Forget to add shit battery and no backlit keyboard

I run OpenBSD on a 5-year old Latitude 7440. It idles at 200mb of RAM and I've never seen it use more than 2GB.

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-flex-series/Lenovo-Ideapad-FLEX-6-14ARR/p/81HA000DUS
e.g.

I’m getting those specs today in an Ideapad 730s for less than $1000.

Might as well get a laptop with a good video card for gaming.

How's the trackpad? I just can't get used to non-glass ones these days.