Mpv general

I didn't see one in the catalog, but I wanted to make this to ask the following: Anyone know why I have abysmal performance on Windows? My PC is far from being a potato, but even with default config it's choppy with 4k video.

Attached: Mpv_icon[1].png (512x512, 275K)

Other urls found in this thread:

privatebin.net/?808dda44a188fc10#10lR8Qw27SbjUxMt 5zcwbKdYw4UUc8q2Cis8HoMVjY=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

4k bit rate
cpu
gpu
settings

You could try compiling it or use other build.

Bully my font configuration so I can improve it.

sub-ass-override=force # for the next options
sub-font-size=44 # 4/5ths of the mpv's default font size. I find the default too big
sub-gray=yes # makes picture subs like yellow dvd subs grey
sub-border-color='0.06125/0.06125/0.06125' # I found the default pure black too constrasting, this is very slightly lighter
sub-border-size=2.5 # the default is 3 pixels of borders which I found too thick, 2 pixels was too thin, so this inbetween does it

I don't know the bitrate as it's YouTube, but Threadripper 1950X and NVIDIA 1070 with default settings.

Is there a better build I should know of?

I bet you're bottlenecked on single thread performance.
Play a 4k video with "--gpu-dumb-mode=yes" just to be sure, even an old integrated GPU can render 4k video with that on, so if the video still won't play in real time it's your CPU.
If it somehow plays fine then somehow your 1070 is too slow to render the video, which I'd attribute to a software bug as it's obviously good enough even with the most autistic mpv settings. If that's the case, try using "hwdec=auto-copy" and it may work around your issue.

Attached: thanks, doc.png (704x508, 125K)

I fucked up the last part.
If your GPU is the issue try using a hwdec setting that won't copy back to system memory or keeping "--gpu-dumb-mode=yes". This won't allow fancy opengl shaders but at least it works.

I tried both of those with no success. I'll try a newer build of mpv.

inb4 it's overheating and you're thermally throttling.
Either way stop being a communist and install GNU+Linux.

Nope, not overheating. I need Windows for the utilities for the hardware.

what settings should I use on an old laptop from 2009? my primary concern is smooth playback. defaults work quite well, I only perceive dropped frames every few minutes, but with higher bitrate stuff the choppiness gets very noticeable.

I can interpolate 4k to 60fps with my laptop that has this spec; and that's without its GTX 1050 btw:
privatebin.net/?808dda44a188fc10#10lR8Qw27SbjUxMt 5zcwbKdYw4UUc8q2Cis8HoMVjY=
If my .conf doesn't fix the choppiness, just jump ship to Linux; at least dual boot. I swear it's worth it.

Attached: 1507632994804.gif (252x481, 1.23M)

OP here. I had to comment out profile=gpu-hq and add hwdec=nvdec to mpv.conf. It just werks now.

How does mpv handle audio latency?
Say I have 100ms of audio latency, would mpv compensate for that by playing the audio 100ms earlier or would the audio play 100ms late?
Is there a way to manually do this stuff if mpv doesn't automatically handle it?
>I only perceive dropped frames every few minutes
Try increasing swapchain-depth. The video will take that many more frames to play when you start and when you seek, but the bigger the swapchain the better you can handle hiccups. Helps with these videos you can almost play in real time like you described.

Otherwise look into the options --deband --sigmoid-upscaling --gpu-dumb-mode --cscale --dscale --scale --fbo-format . They're not the only ones, but you can generally change them to lighter settings.

Run "mpv --show-profile=gpu-hq". Try enabling the settings there one by one.

Sorry I'm retarded. It turns out that my config file was in the wrong place. But, the d3d11va default output is laggy compared to nvdec. I can't tell any difference with profile-hq, but nvdec-copy is the best one I've tried.

I already ask this in sqt....
Does someone use ICC or 3DLUT in MPV?
I create a profile in 3D LUT Creator and try to export this in MPV but it doesn't work.
Top: Original
Bot: LUT
vo=opengl
icc-profile=".....\anime.icc"

Attached: 1522991560242.jpg (858x966, 243K)

Making random ICC profiles is the video equivalent of using an equalizer to tune audio for specific music genres. A complete non-science and a normalfag meme that can only make your media worse.

I seriously hope that anime.icc profile of yours was produced by some screen calibration device you tested your screen with.

Attached: gross.jpg (298x415, 27K)

Is a highly autistic customized configuration of MPV still needed for anime or can I just download MPC-HC?

>general for a video player
OH NONONONONO

Attached: 2000px-VLC_Icon.svg.png (2000x2265, 743K)

i know but i tested some animes in premiere (import icc) and they look all better with the icc.
If in some animes it looks bad, i can simply disable it, so why not.

Might as well just crank the saturation to 20, much simpler

What does that even mean? What are you asking?

it's a sign

What type of setup is best for anime in 2018?

The one you enjoy the most on your own hardware, of course.

Is mpv worth taking the time to install? Are there any guides anywhere?

How do I put static libraries of dav1d in muh binary? I don't won't to link to libraries that aren't being maintained by my package manager.

If you're on windows, you just unzip shinchiro's build somewhere, optionally use the .bat file to register all compatible formats to be opened with mpv and that's it. On linux you can find it in your distro's repo, and there are optional ppas, aur, etc. I don't see how one would need a guide for installation.

>--gpu-debug
for what purpose?