How does Jow Forums feel about the Microsoft Surface product line? Too artistic-oriented for Jow Forums's liking?

How does Jow Forums feel about the Microsoft Surface product line? Too artistic-oriented for Jow Forums's liking?

>"microsoft"
Anyone who knows the tablet market knows Wacom are the most jewish. Good alternatives should always be welcomed.

Attached: microsoft_fjx_00001_surface_pro_intel_core_1339788.jpg (2500x2500, 289K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bradcolbow.com/mygear/
youtube.com/watch?v=npBpt9DhkfI
youtube.com/watch?v=nqWMtz4lv0s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*throttles at 25% CPU usage*

The Pro is the only one decent but they should have added at least one thunderbolt 3 port to it.
Laptop is shit, unrepairable, low power laptop that is meant for light web browser usage, somehow it does allow to draw on it, which results in a wobbly screen.
Book is literally a tablet on life support, useless without its stand and the battery dies in a couple minutes then too. With the stand, you can't use it well for drawing, since there's no support behind the screen like the Pro's hinge. If it's closed to put in your bag it's super thick on one side and the hinge scratches certain tables beyond repair.
Go in most configurations is underpowered for anything useful on Windows.
Studio is a good concept, but being limited to just move the screen up and down is a killer for people used to those big Wacom screens, no pivoting the screen nor moving it on a horizontal axis. Also, no upgradability which is a must for work stations. The dial is a joke, the UI jitters around as if it can't locate the position of it correctly.

Microsoft stopped using Wacom digitizer hardware and stylus pens back with the Surface Pro 3 - they purchased Ntrig years ago and that's what they use in all their touch and pen-enabled hardware nowadays.

The Surface Pro 6 is a damned fine piece of hardware, a real actual computer capable of running a real actual desktop computer operating system which makes it superior to anything else on the market like iPads (Pro or not), Android devices (Chromebooks or not), etc.

One would be idiotic to spend the kind of money on something like a Google Pixelbook or an Apple iPad Pro since they're primarily content consumption devices.

Get a Surface Pro, get shit done, that's as simple as it gets.

Yes, I am a Surface Pro owner.

Surface Studio?

What kind of idiot would try to run a "real actual desktop computer operating system" on a tablet?

I have the pro one at work, and it's decent for normal office work. Althought it's silly that you have to buy so much as extra's, and it's pretty overpriced in my opinion. And I think that our ITC department had to return something like 25% of them because of defects in just a few months. So build quality is apple tier levels of bad.

Someone who would use an OS made by Microsoft that is meant for tablets, example: Windows 8 and Windows 10.

It's a fucking computer, you dickhead, why wouldn't someone want to run an actually useful OS to get shit down in a more portable form than dragging a desktop or an even larger laptop around with 'em?

I like the idea of the Surface Studio, and for the record while the display does go up and down vertically, you can turn the Surface Studio with barely any effort at all since the base of it spins (you can watch most any review video and see this done with just a single finger to turn it).

I love the idea of it, but since I'm not an artist of any kind I couldn't see myself getting such a machine hence the Surface Pro I have. I can use it wherever I want, remove the keyboard in a half-second, it's light, it lasts 9+ hours at 50% brightness, it does absolutely everything I require.

I will agree with the poster above that for the Surface Pro 6 models Microsoft really should had put at least one USB-C port on the damned thing. They could have made that work, kept the traditional USB-A port on it and added a USB-C as well, it was not something impossible to do.

Hell, the Surface Go got a USB-C port, they should have done that for the Surface Pro 6 too, it was a dumb move not to do it but I presume next year's Surface Pro will finally make that move to USB-C.

Why didn't you just get a laptop in the first place then idiot? The Surface Pro is no smaller than a 13 inch laptop.

Being "meant for tablets" doesn't mean the experience is actually good. I doubt you ever tried to use Windows on a tablet.

Been thinking about buying one of these for uni.
Im just afraid it's not the boon for notetaking I'm imagining it is

You could have just gotten a Thinkpad Yoga.

I was very tempted by the black friday deals, and desirable as it is, i think a "real" laptop still fits my usage more.

Is there literally any reason to buy a Cintiq 13HD when Surface Pro is basically the same thing at the same price, except is an actual computer as a bonus?

>I doubt you ever tried to use Windows on a tablet
Well, your doubts are incorrect. I own a Surface Pro and it's rather comfy, although you have to install Gesturesign (FOSS) to make it that comfy.

I was really tempted to buy one, but the price has always put me off. I couldn't justify dropping so much cash on a fragile bit of kit when I could get a better work machine for less.

Because I don't want a fucking keyboard sometimes to get in the way.

As stated, I don't want a keyboard to get in the way. I already own a Yoga 710 2n1 convertible, wasn't interested in getting another one. Removing the keyboard when I don't require it makes the Surface Pro a winner.

Wasn't interested in paying the much higher price for a Surface Book to get the tablet aspect either.

If you want to take notes just get a cheap chromebook and put gallium OS on it

Yeah good luck doing "real work" on a touchscreen keyboard.

Congratulations on continually missing the point.

Nice functionality and aesthetics.
Horrible user serviceability, thus I would never buy one unless it was less than $500.

Attached: 1519600876324.jpg (1286x1714, 1.1M)

I'm really tempted to get one, but at this point I can't really justify it financially.

In a few years I'll look at the market again and reconsider it if there's nothing else around that looks good.

Is there another contender than the Surface Go for a 10" Windows 10 tablet?
The Lenovo Tablet 10 seems interesting (especially with the added ports and DDR4), but there's almost no reviews and I'm still reserved on the eMMC and Celery CPU. I'm still not sure if it falls under consumer or Enterprise, and Lenovo consumer doesn't have the best track record.

i think that they are pretty and i want one buy pls

After carrying a surface pro 4 in my backpack every day for a couple years the screen started to separate and it looked like it was going to blow up. I called Microsoft and they sent me a new one for free. 10/10

The surface pen is still awful and n-trig palm rejection is still only so-so. The wacom bamboo ink is actually somehow far better. With clip studio stabilization between 5 and 10 theres very little jitter on my hp spectre. The hp pen is bad and the surface pen on surface pro 2017 or w/e wasnt great either. From what I've heard the surface pro 6 is actually worse than the last gen model with pen. Otherwise I would've bought it. The built in stand makes it just so much better than a normal 2-in-1 laptop but Microsoft and n-trig are phoning it in if wacom can do a better job with windows ink than a 1st party can.

Wacom emr and apple pen are still better. But I suspect Apple's pen has a longer delay for polling to create smoother averages in their line drawing algorithm. I wish they'd just fuck battery life and do 1000hz polling like mice

Can you only use the microsoft pen for the Surface Pros?

>apple pen
Is an absolute fucking joke.

Attached: 1532394174405.webm (238x360, 2.91M)

bradcolbow.com/mygear/

Thats obviously a slowed down video. All pens have a delay between input and response. That's on purpose so the drivers can collect and average out the path. Digitizers are still moving over a discrete set of points so there is "snapping " even if at a very fine level and errors. Even wacom emr has a delay but might not be that high. But wacom emr is the gold standard so... the alternative is less precision.

I think any windows ink pen will work but your experience will probably vary between machines. On my spectre the bamboo ink seems good but cant say how good it will be on a surface pro

>some chinkpad has the smoothest lines
Jews and japs BTFO

I've been eying the Kamvas pro 13. Laminated screen and everything, just like a cintiq.

>Dumbass thinks you can't get work done on a Chromebook
I bet I make 10x as much money on my Chromebook as you make on your Surface """Pro"""

Attached: Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 5.43.33 PM.png (2400x1599, 1.38M)

>Thats obviously a slowed down video.
Not him but I think that's the point retard

Not him, but every single digital pen does this. I tested both my Wacom and my Surface Pro, as well as on my iPad.

>every single digital pen
LOL

Wacom has been resting on brand recognition for years now, and haven't improved their product at fucking all for at least a decade. All that they care about is increasing margin, like a certain fruity company. At some point they're going to have to come down in price as the chinktabs start eating their lunch, but they have a fancy-pants new building in downtown Portland to pay off (and another fancy-pants new office in Shinjuku), so maybe they'll just go bankrupt and get munched up by microshit.

I just sold my Surface Pro because combining a laptop and a tablet into a single device is the dumbest idea ever, that's why it's never catching on.

I have a shitty $150 Acer laptop and a $350 iPad that does drawing and laptop things a lot better.

It's not just wacom though. That guy's saying it beat out the apple pencil and n-trig's active solution too. And probably wacom AES too. Based chinese

I got a Surface Pro 6 this Black Friday. I'm not going to be using it for anything very heavy but I wanted a tablet which could act like a decent computer when I travel for work or in the rare situations where my desktop is out of commission.

These things are very expensive and the fact that they don't come with the damn keyboard at least is garbage. If I hadn't found a tablet + keyboard bundle at a decent discount I wouldn't even have considered one. The 2017 model seems even worse, for pretty much the same money at the lowest end model was only 2C/4T and 4GB RAM, the Pro 6 at least is 4C/8T and 8GB RAM which is enough for nearly everything I do (most work included) except video games and I didn't buy this for games in the first place. Should be arriving tomorrow according to UPS, hopefully it's good.

Your complaint is that a premium laptop convertible is expensive? Don't look at the XPS 15 2-in-1 then cause boy that thing is like 2x the price

I wanted tablet with a detachable keyboard which had >=8GB RAM and was able to drive a 4K screen at least. I have a now pretty old Asus T100, the Atom and 2GB RAM made it quite slow even with just modern browsers, plus the screen wasn't great at all and I wanted an upgrade. It seems that my requirements qualify for "premium", I hadn't really looked at these things before deciding to buy one.

The Pro 6 isn't so bad at least. It comes with decently beefy hardware so the price is somewhat justified, but last year's model was just awful value in my eyes, 2C and 4GB RAM in 2017 seemed to be a really bad deal for what you were paying. The new ones doubled up on cores and RAM while keeping the approximate price point, so they're kind of acceptable now. I (now) realize that this device segment is expensive in general, but every option being expensive doesn't automatically mean they're also worth the money.

I guess it's a Jow Forums ass Jow Forums concern, but i was really concerned about the repairability of the Surface line. On paper it'd be perfect for me however. Lightweight, the aspect ratio is great for reading PDFs/Comics/Manga, i can do most of the work i need to on the go, and even do a bit of light gaming.

And while i look after my computers and don't abuse them too much, i do want something durable enough to last at least 3-4 years. That and the fact they don't have a USB 3.1 port and USB-C really hurts this, a device this portable really could do with being chargeable by a battery pack.

The front glass on the surface is super thin and weak as well. The case is durable as all heck, but that screen is shockingly fragile.

You're going to have a hard time finding a tablet that's easy to repair. One or two examples perhaps but in general many of them still rely on lots of glue, tape, and resin.

Could a screen protector make any difference?

Yeah, I don't like that it's not repairable either, but I couldn't find some other model with similar hardware and price (I got it on a sale, keep in mind) that was. It was something I wanted but had to sacrifice since I just couldn't find a tablet which would tick that box. HP Elite X2 is repairable but was really hard to find, more expensive and came with older CPUs, before the jump to 4C was made, so overall it wasn't really a candidate at the asking prices. I got a screen protector to prevent scratches at least, I'll take care of it and hopefully I won't get a dud which will break.

USB-C or TB3 would've been nice for sure, but those aren't really features which are very important to me. It's going to get most use around the house for browsing/reading/manga so things like battery pack compatibility aren't a big deal for me. I think an adapter which works for USB-C charging exists though, haven't really looked into it much.

>HP Elite x2
It's also HP, so you're going to need that repairability

Is it possible to output another PC's output to the Surface Pro? I do a lot of sculpting, which required a fair bit of power and probably more than the Surface Pro is capable of

>"dude just get a wacom"
Already have one. I'm considering a Surface Pro for the added utility of being a PC I could take around with me when needed.

or buy a fucking notebook
and a pencil
fuck

That would affect the pen performance. Parallax is already kinda bad without it, it would make it worse.

RDP sends Windows Ink through to the other computer, including pressure and all that jazz.

But you're still working with a streamed display, there will be a delay

Bought one for drawing, Surface pro 3, and barely use it other than printing return labels.
This shit gets hot and loud during a 1080p 300dpi document.
Pen is alright, i knew i was sacrificing some drawing features. I already have a drawing tablet as well.
I fucking pray to god a windows update doesn't brick my shit.

USB Ethernet adapter? I don't think theres a way to connect via USB.

Is HP hardware really that bad? I only ever bought a monitor from them, that one is still going after 7-8 years though. Anyway, it doesn't really matter since the Elite X2 wasn't really a candidate anyway.

I am considering getting the i7 16GB 512SSD version for $1800. Is that a good deal?

I would be using it for Zbrush, Blender, and Unity along with light sketching.

I wouldn't even use the crappy included keyboard. I almost bought an i5 version but I didn't want the bundle with the keyboard since I have several bluetooth mechanical keyboards I would rather use.

>Too artistic-oriented for Jow Forums's liking?
if anything I would like them to lean in on the artistic side even more. the surface pro is now better than any tablet and almost all laptops.

Wrong, the pen is now shit. Surface Pro 4 is still the best one.

youtube.com/watch?v=npBpt9DhkfI

I was kind of interest3ed in one, but I ended up going for a smaller tablet with a Wacom digitizer.

Attached: csm_MG_6372_460f002e17.jpg (1802x1200, 375K)

yikes

my surface book with performance base is good

That tablet was a fucking disaster, considering how well HP made the Stream 7 for $99.
I want the small cheap Windows tablet market to come back ;__;

Looks rather small, can't imagine trying to edit video or run Maya on that.

This sums up how I feel about the Surface line pretty well.

A lot of missed opportunities and poor design choices, and reliability issues that mar what could have been great.

I think in a couple more generations it will be good when they have better power optimization and bigger SSD drives, and solved some of the reliability issues.

What I love about the Surface stuff is the 3:2 screen ratio, and the Pen support.

It's going to be fine for my use, I'm sure. I like having something which isn't a separate piece from the tablet when connected. I'd have to buy a BT keyboard anyway, I don't own any. It won't see much use for any serious typing, when I need to do that I'll do it at my desk with my proper keyboard and computer.

>This shit gets hot and loud during a 1080p 300dpi document.
Sad!

I use it to remote into my desktop a lot. It markedly improves battery life and means it won't throttle. It's basically a really good mobile supplement to a stagnant desktop and is nice for continuing whatever you're doing in another room. It's also a super sleek device to connect to the TV and stream with if you're doing like some nfl redzone stream for the afternoon.
It is indeed very easy to break and impossible to repair. I wish I had a more durable long term travel laptop for sure.
If anyone thinks it's a tablet, they're naïve. My biggest use complaints are that it's too big to be a tablet even if the OS allowed and it doesn't balance on your lap in weird positions like a laptop would.
Maybe it's not worth $1000 but at no point do I regret getting it in 2 years of use

youtube.com/watch?v=nqWMtz4lv0s

>they still haven't improved the pen

>that's why it's never catching on
Then why there are 1000 of Surface clones on the market? Why the iPad Pro and Pixel C exist?

And? Nobody is buying them, well except the iPad Pro because isheep
Most people are still buying regular laptops.

WHAT
THE
FUCK

>Nobody is buying them
>Sales of 2-in-1 devices to carry a sinking PC market in 2018: IDC
>The research firm expects shipments of 2-in-1s, such as detachable tablets and convertible notebooks, to grow by more than 9 percent this year.
And it's a surprise since both tablet and PC markets are dying.

Attached: 1542830025854.jpg (900x900, 68K)

And how often do you take your tablet outside? Be honest.

Hi there, Pink Wojak.

Haven 10xed recently you retard

Why can't we just get something like the Surface Pro, except with a good pen?

Or an iPad Pro, except an OS that's actually usable and versatile?

Yes it is possible and you can do it wirelessly. From my experience it's pretty much virtually lag-free though I'm extremely close to my PC.

That sounds like too much work.

Attached: 1474095624419.gif (400x288, 3.55M)

Do people actually use these as tablets? Tablet mode seems shitty

>combining a laptop and a tablet into a single device is the dumbest idea ever, that's why it's never catching on.
why is apple implementing each surface pro feature on it's ipad pro line one by one then

wouldn't be surprised if they have a trackpad on that thing in 3 years from now

>apple copies Microsoft so it's immediately ok
Fuck off.

How is it possible though? Surely not through something like Moonlight?

Just pair the two together in Settings, enable wi-fi on both, go on your desktop and select "Project" from the Action Center in the bottom right corner, and select "Connect to a Wireless Display".

Not the other guy, but based on the steam link remote desktop/streaming on a local network adds anywhere from 50 to >100ms, I'm guessing wiring it with something like a usb-ethernet cable that someone above mentioned might bring it down further if your PC can handle the stream. For most people and for just drawing it's probably not bad I imagine, a lot of people draw with tools like Lazy Nezumi and SAI's stablizer anyway. For coloring pictures it seems like that might not be a good option, but you can do that on a surface pro no problem anyway

How do the Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1s compare to the Surface Pro? Are they a viable alternative?

What about that HP thing with the beveled corners?

Thanks. And all the pen and pressure sensitivity still works, even though it's running another PC's output on the display?

I'm not even that fussed about wireless. If I could run my desktop GPU's output to it via a displayport or something, that would be fine. Basically what all non-OS display tablets do.

So Windows tablet with Wacon EMR? Mobile Studio, Zbook, Galaxy Book and some other Acer, Toshiba, Fujitsu and chinese tablets.

Its real rough around the edges. Windows has strange issues when dealing with mulitiple screens of different DPI. I dont personally care for the touch screens. The one with the power base has a real plastic feel to it and the power plug falls out too easily. Also the screen wobbles a lot. The tablet ones have flimsy keyboards that warp when you press buttons.

Yes, a setting specifically appears to enable pen and touch controls, you can disable it if you want. There's also a setting to try and fix "blurry" images due to differences in resolutions and such.

Awful, awful, awful.
Stay away.
Windows 10 simply doesn't work on tablets.
You can't even consume content properly.
There are like 20 YouTube apps on the Microsoft store and all of them are complete and utter garbage compared to the official one on Android (and even iOS).

t. never used a surface before

I have a surface go. I'm going to send it back as soon as I figure out how to properly package shit up for UPS to take it.

Any that are specifically good? There must be some reason most people stick with Surface despite the shitpen.

>t. mindless surface drone
I got one and in no fucking world would I actually use it for youtube in tablet mode.

>can’t even figure out how to watch YouTube in full windows 10
is this bait?

I like the concept, but:
> it's not a good laptop (muh stand)
> it's not a good tablet (because of Windows)
> still no usb-c

The new quad-core CPUs are decent tho...

>browser youtube on tablet
>no double tap to skip
>shitty tiny controls
>video doesn't stay up when scrolling comments
Fuck off.