web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/systemd/ bug/1449001
lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/415
theregister.co.uk/2018/10/26/systemd_dhcpv6_rce/
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76935
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

theregister.co.uk/2014/04/05/torvalds_sievers_dust_up/

Can someone give me a reason why nobody has bothered to audit this?
>2 million lines of code
Firefox has atleast 7 million but here we are with something like icecat
blog.mozilla.org/firefox/the-new-firefox-by-the-numbers/

its bloated and unstable

It's the status quo and it actually works. That's more than enough to upset a distrohopping toddler.

Most of the complaints you'll here from Jow Forums are from the early days of systemd and don't even apply anymore. This is not a technology board. It's a Chinese basket weaving consumerism board.

>"It's really sad that things like this get elevated to this kind of situation, and I personally find it annoying that it's always the same f*cking prima donna involved," Torvalds wrote.
How can one man be so based?

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

imagine having a single program do 80% of the things in your system
are you picturing windows?
exactly

what can I do if I remove systemd?
what will stop working?

probably yeah
just install a distro without it

like donjuan?

It's a way of destroying the Linux community.
The project requires dedicated maintainers.

>muh bugs!!
its software
>muh harry potter!!
potternig is actually quite polite and reasonable during exchanges, the only thing that can hurt your feelings is Not a bug, won't fix, which more often than not isn't a bug but user error
>muh EFI brick!!
blame the fucking incompetent mobo manufacturers, if you're telling me efivars shouldn't be mounted rw you're a fucking idiot who has never done a system upgrade in his life
>muh unix philosophy, posix, and portability!
unix as a concept has been dead since windows nt. nobody cares about posix anymore (what you gonna port it to? BSD? Solaris? lol) and "muh minimalism" is a fucking meme and everyone realized it around the 00s
>muh choice
you're free to apply patches and use systemd-less distros or make them yourself
if anything, harry potter is doing us a favor by solving problems, streamlining gate of entry and making init/service implementations standard across linux systems all around. its the .exe we've been missing.
>muh codebase!!
see >fuck you im gonna post muh pastas of rhetorical issues and things that literally only happened once in extremely specific scenarios and...
good. go pester the BSD devs with your faggotry or make your own meme systemd-less distro. ill make the logo.

Attached: based.jpg (1024x678, 123K)

This is one of those cases where I feel it was a well deserved rage.

NSA ---> RedHat ---> Poettering ---> systemd users

---> That's the stream of anus-insterted semen --->

Maybe upstream fags, NSA down to Poettering fag, like it, BUT do systemd users downstream like anus-insterted cum ?

Think about it.

systemd/systemd
Code Issues 1,001 Pull requests 101

And Growing !!

Attached: systemd-refugees-welcome-bring-your-family.jpg (695x537, 69K)

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/systemd/ bug/1449001
lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/415
>tfw your own init performs a DOS attack

I think the main code problem is C code
you can't code maintainable code in C code

theregister.co.uk/2018/10/26/systemd_dhcpv6_rce/

What's the issue? I say fallbacking to a public DNS you know isn't going down any time soon isn't inherently bad. If anything, breaking connection just because of an illconfigured ISP DNS and forcing the user to configure it just pushes the notion of Linux = HARD with unnecesary bullshit.
The secondary issue isn't even fucking relevant for 99% of users. Even the so called "developers" of Jow Forums probably aren't touching the kernel with a ten foot pole because they're busy writing Python/Haskell fizzbuzz. You can read the discussion yourself here (rather than your cherrypicked example) and see the man himself come down there with a reasonable argument and compromise.
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76935

>iPv6
Did you get hacked because of this issue user? Did you get hacked when Spectre and Meltdown happened as well user? All of those are "could happens" but not "do happens". It's like saying Linux is bad because it had scary extremely specific and context sensitive zero days in the past that have since been fixed. The article even states Lennart shipped a fix quickly. What's the issue?

I think it's a good example why you should question using systemd for anything since it forces everyone to conform to its way of doing things.

Changing the DNS resolver is as easy as sticking an IP address into /etc/resolv.conf btw.

It's comical and arrogant that the init would handle internet configuration directly in the first place. Serves as an example of overreaching that needs to stop.

Testing pass on 4channel. Fuck you moot.

>Fuck you moot
>but i bought a pass since you were here :3c

>>muh bugs!!
>its software
Not an excuse. Software ideally shouldn't have bugs, and systemd has only been adding to the problem.
>unix as a concept has been dead since windows nt.
Why, because Windows is popular? I wish it weren't true, but popular != good.
>what you gonna port it to? BSD? Solaris? lol
why not? and how about any future OS?
>streamlining gate of entry
in what way did systemd do this?
>its the .exe we've been missing.
except it isn't. systemd has nothing to do with package/program distribution. That is under the scope of things such as flatpak and appimage.

>vulnerabilities and incompetence are excusable if they don't affect people

It's good that it was patched, but it should not have happened in the first place by removing functionality that can't be maintained properly. Why should Systemd handle network packets?

Because it's gargantuan and brings a lot of functionality into one general component, plus it's the status quo.

*Nix users want to be hipster fags by default and you can't be a hipster unless you use shitty, niche software that nobody knows of or cares about.

Systemd "just werks" so you aren't very l33t if you use it

Then systemd-resolvd overwrites resolv.conf, ooopsie

Well, disable systemd-resolvd and make the file immutable if you are having trouble.

Better to switch to a distro without sysd entirely but do whatever floats your boat.

>make the file immutable
best solution, for some reason everything wants to fuck with that file

every software has bugs, and its an inevitable fact. you're paraphrasing it like systemd is built to make bugs on purpose.
>Why, because Windows is popular?
windows nt killed unix (ever wondered what happened to commercial unix vendors?) and the unix philosophy died long before that. POSIX is a joke (even Windows classified for it, and macOS is certified truUNIX even though its a frankenstein soup) and portability doesn't matter nowadays when its just bringing you down in design decisions and potential features. Taking the time to slimline your program to port it to an OS only the 0,01% of the 0,00001% use is a waste of time and shouldn't be encouraged. if you want to jerk it off to plan 9 (baka) and barely working openBSD, then sure, use launchd if you want systemd to be portable that badly (its pratically the precursor to systemd), but truth is, its a linux-only thing and it should stay at that, BSD has been dying for ages, Linux cemented its grave and it has no practical usecases outside of "I'm different" or ZFS/jails, which it stole from Solaris. Solaris was a fuckfest of bad corporate decisions and middle management, and illumos isn't saving it any sooner now that btrfs and alternatives are looking much better, and macOS is a fucking joke and Apple wouldn't want systemd
>in what way did systemd do this?
remember all the different init systems and init script differences between distros? systemd has been a godsend for sysadmins
>systemd has nothing to do with package/program distribution
it was metaphorical. systemd's unification of service management and other areas is much better than the 20+ different standards we had before, hence the .exe vs the 60 different package managers analogy

Attached: 2130732.jpg (460x460, 22K)

people complain because actual technology peaked at the 90s everything what happened after that is just the same old refurbished shit consuming 4 times more resources than the last generation.

Everything before systemd just worked fine its just the lacy distro faggot that pretend to be major software maintainers while doing nothing saw that switching to systemd would mean that they would have more time for they bukkake parties.

The truth is that we only are replacing old software with new one because the workforce shifted to woman and faggots, basically the old graphical interface and utility are to based for this people and to solve it they had to add le prity funky interfaces that bring nothing but less functionality to the older tools.

Text editor peaked 20 years ago, Emacs and Vim offer the ultimate set of tools to edit text, there was no need to create that abomination called Atom.
WEB was a mistake it only attracted weirdos with color disfuntionallity and started coding everything with blink elements, Ghoper was the way to go, plain text, simple and no anime.
Bash works okay, everyone using zsh should execute it self right now.
Gnome v1 was the ultimate redpill of graphical interfaces, gray, sad, and modular, not a single hipster shit tool and not designed for a none existing demographic like the linux users with touch screens.
mp3 is the ultimate format, no needs those disgusting new formats, they are a massive joke.
Poqet PC should be the ultimate COMPUTER, a decent keyboard, small and with an external GPU everything would be fine, but no, faggots had to pimp their machines and tryhard for the thinnest garbage constructed with kitchen sheets of aluminum tricking people into thinking that because its a metal its more resistant than actual decent plastic.
ffmpeg is the only tool you need for editing video.
C is the actual language for developers and not pussy faggots that what to have a free job without skills.

>Emacs and Vim offer the ultimate set of tools to edit text
Actually Emacs Lisp is pretty outdated, it would be cool to have emacsen with a modern language. And I'm actually wondering whether it has to be an interpreted language. There are some programs that are configured during compilation and it works pretty well - compilation is fast enough for you to not mind it and you get optimized code. The only downside is that you need to restart it to change settings but developers could make the program recover session. Also, how often does one need to modify their text editor?