What text editor does Jow Forums use?

is it too autistic to use something like vim instead of a proprietary application? Simplicity is definitely nice, but I'm not too sure how to customize it to my liking. Just curious about what setups y'all got.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 15.15.40.png (114x124, 18K)

everyday the same fucking shitty thread
thanks neo/g/

One day, as a wee little baby Jow Forumstard, I tried to install some cool window manager and fucked up my system so that it would only boot to a terminal.
Instead of reinstalling like a sane person, I decided that this was fine and that I could learn how to use the terminal just as well as a GUI.

I was correct and still work like this to this day, although I have installed several different systems since then and simply disable X with each new install.

I like vim, it's quick and easy to use for most of the things I do.

Sublime Text

notepad++
just werks

Emacs, it just werks

I'm the sane version of you.

If you want to go turbo autist on an editor Emacs is the way to go.

Sam and Kate

If you think vim is simple and are getting into it to avoid complexity then you're doing it all wrong. Expect to be blow the fuck out by the power each key stroke packs.
BTW install vanilla vim, do the tutorials, use it for some time then if you feel adventurous try adding a few plugins and editing your vimrc file. Good luck.

what is that?

TextMate

There aren't enough people on gee that have solid programming experience to allow for interesting technical threads. On the other hand, almost everybody here has used a text editor before, and therefore has an opinion on which one to use.

Attached: 1539464883874.png (402x759, 417K)

>not using modified nano

Went from:
Vim->Emacs->Acme
Keep thinking I might go back to Emacs with an Acme-like setup, but not sure if I'll ever get the time.

Sublime Text for graphical
Nano for console

Attached: DsyXNZQVAAAYmZu.jpg (1333x1999, 549K)

I largely use nano for convenience, but sublime is decent.

muh nignog

Attached: j8h6a8zjnglx.jpg (1920x1080, 114K)

I was using vim for a short time then I went full Emacs with evil. Not looking back anymore. I write in it, I am not a programmer though.

nano

Same, except I was using vim for a long time, then I started writing and found org-mode.

Emacs

vi(m). It’s simple yet powerful and I can just rely on it being there; I haven’t seen a single Linux system without it.

should i actually get/learn vim? is the hype valid?

VScode (it is open source btw)
Or
Atom with some plugins
Or
Sublime text

They are all good and customisable, choose the one that fits you best

>remote server
Vim or nano

>first timer
Gedit, notepad ++, windows notepad, any default simple text editor ...
You can do a lot with them (even high end webapps) it is just not optimal.

You should start coding with watever you have available.
The rest is almost always personal preferences.

Use it if you can type with homerow. If you type like a retard you're gonna probably waste time using it. If you know how to type you never have to take your hands off the keyboard

all text editors sucks
/g use vim/nvim
all software sucks
/g use suckless tools
all distro sucks
/g use gentoo
all web browsers sucks
/g use surf/qutebrowser
all graphical manipulators sucks
/g use krita/mypaint/sxiv
all music players sucks
/g use ncmpcpp/cmus (based alsa)
VPN/TOR use only pedos and drug dealers
all laptop sucks
/g use thinkpad (ivy bridge)
all ssd sucks
/g use samsung
well, thats all

Attached: wallhaven-715411.jpg (2560x1600, 688K)

Acme

wut

VSCode

This, plus when I get tired of coding I read the manual and learn about useful commands that I then use to gain time and productivity. the thing I like most about emacs is being able to use in screen sessions on remote machines. All I have to do is copy my .emacs config file and it feels just like home.
+ muh freedums

What's better in Acme ? Why want to go back to Emacs ?

Learn it and Emacs at the same time, see which best suits your preference. They're really powerful tools.

Why is no one mentioning Jetbrains? It just works

The same reason no one is mentioning any other IDEs.

notepad

Wordpad here I hate that notepad doesn't change to a new line automatically

Microsoft Word

I am still practicing with Emacs. Org-mode works as a markup language (I don't use markdown anymore) and for everything else you want. Kinda overkill to have spreadsheets but I will try it later.

What do you use? Spacemacs or evil + emacs? I wanna trying xah-fly-keys for better integration but their key distribution is not intuitive or mnemonic.

Spacemacs is awesome as an intro to emacs. It's like pre-riced and ready for 2018. I could see switching to doommacs or something after you really 'get' emacs, but I think emacs+evil home-made config would be the next step. Of course it's also nice to just use some reasonable defaults (spacemacs) and use a small config on top of that. I don't want to go back to a 400 line vimrc.