/retro/

Shitposting from Mac OS 8.6 edition.

It's been a while since we haven't had a /retro/ thread, so I decided to create one.
Post your beige shitboxes here!

Attached: Perkeleforma.png (832x624, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

semitech.com/marc/ray.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>macshit
kill yourself faggot

Make me.

Attached: huh.jpg (4592x3056, 2.88M)

>shitting on /retro/ tech
die in a fire

/thread

You misspelled /retro/ toys.

Attached: 1538610918287.png (400x1650, 367K)

It's nice to see that this website works on such ancient hardware.

Fuck, I forgot to create the thread in euro/g/ timezone.
Now all the Apple shills will shit up the thread like this:
It's been proven that they actually act like idiotic non-Apple users to give them a bad image.

>It's been proven
giggidy

how is it? does JS work? captcha?

JS works but I have it disabled for obvious reasons.
The noscript captcha works fine, though.

damn, nice
how is overall experience using macos 9? which programs are there? text editors and whatnot

Using this machine on 8.6 is absolutely horrible, but that's because it's a Performa 6320CD, basically a cobbled together machine made out of bottom-of-the-barrel parts.
As for the OS 9 experience on a more modern machine, I'd say it kind of works.
Text editors are aplenty, you have old MS Word, AppleWorks and a ton more.
Web browsing is covered by Classilla, though forget fancy HTML5 stuff.
Also forget about modern file types and multimedia codecs. iTunes and other players play MP3 just fine, but no FLAC for example. No h.264 either, you'll have to make do with MPEG2 or DivX.
Oh, and for sharing files over the network you'll need either another Mac running a Classic OS or an early version of OS X, or something running netatalk. Thankfully I have the latter set up on my homeserver.

Attached: kotforma.jpg (4592x3056, 3.11M)

whats happenin' my friend

Attached: 2018-06-24-143938_512x342_scrot.png (512x342, 6K)

>tfw his page is still around
semitech.com/marc/ray.html

Attached: 2017-12-18-230036_1024x684_scrot.png (1024x684, 37K)

they were closer back then

Attached: 2017-12-21-214521_512x342_scrot.png (512x342, 9K)

one more

Attached: 2017-12-18-225302_1024x684_scrot.png (1024x684, 23K)

b-but muh apple used 2 be good before /cook/ guy!11

I can't think of logical reasons why ppl would try to derail virtually all threads, even sane ones (anything not "the absolute state of", "why aren't you", he unironically (some action), (some OS) is (half-cut off word), discuss, btfo, something about indians/women/blacks)

it has to be a paid job because even with autism, ppl would get bored at some point.

I think they've succeeded in making it seem like normal, to the point that newcomers engage in the same kind of posting, or take part in those threads (what choice is there if that's all that's on the board?)

I don't know if hiro is aware of this (or what some of us think it is), but I don't think his attempt to split the site will change anything.

Attached: russian disinformer job.png (651x721, 47K)

Does it have HyperCard? Screens please.

Baste

My O2 has been broken for years. Have this instead.

Attached: 3409663657_74a298ec82_b.jpg (1024x681, 164K)

OS 9's really nice for a single-tasking use case. Trying to use my Sawtooth G4 as a music player is kind of suffering though since it's not very responsive during heavy disk activity.

Why not Tezro?

Because Tezros are large, noisy, and power hungry. O2 machines are small, quiet, and don't use much power. And you don't need a quad 700MHz processor to get the full IRIX experience anyways.

You can't browse interwebs really well on O2, even on R12k upgraded machine it's a pain in the butt unless you use lynx.

because they're still thousands of dollars
>being this poor and fragile

>using textmode browsers unironically
>not even using a good textmode browser
just use a semi-old browser like mozilla with javascript turned off and pretty much anything made in the last 20 years will handle things fine

My 400MHz O2 with 256MB RAM used to run NetSurf just fine, which was good enough for using most simple websites.

>wanting a big purple box that sounds like a jet engine taking off

>>wanting a big purple box that sounds like a jet engine taking off
a real computer with real engineering that was really powerful? fuck yeah. if I wanted some emasculated pussy shit I'd build a fractal fridge and jerk off in /bst/, it's no different than sleeping with a big ass box fan which I already do

but the O2 is still nice thanks to UMA, fuck the texture memory jews

>but the O2 is still nice thanks to UMA, fuck the texture memory jews
I can agree with that. If there was better software support, the graphics boards in the O2s would still be good enough today for basic image editing.

if only there was a version of photoshit newer than 3.0

If only IRIX was open sourced and ported to other machines.

>wasting time just to appear ironic retro for Jow Forums users

lol

>IRIX has no software on MIPS so let's have even less software for it on x86/Itanium
???

IRIX has no software because it's a closed off platform with no official support, so community support is extremely difficult from a development standpoint. Hardware inaccessibility makes it even more difficult to support due to the minuscule community.

>muh russian bots

Attached: cure.jpg (650x433, 172K)

what? developing software on IRIX is as piss easy as any other *nix, and it's by far the most active and well-supported of the SysVs even today from a desktop use standpoint. the "closed-off"ness is only a problem with low-level crap like porting free operating systems nobody wants to run on their systems anyway.

did you even use your O2 for anything when it worked or was it just a pretty doorstop you had no idea what to do with?