Hey Jow Forums... we were wrong...

Hey Jow Forums... we were wrong. Web devs sponsored this lady through a diversity program to come teach them an intro to functional programming lecture. Fucking based.

youtube.com/watch?v=e-5obm1G_FY

Attached: jsconf15.png (1154x641, 594K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20130819160454/http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/26/functional-programming-in-c/
youtube.com/watch?v=1PhArSujR_A
conferences.oreilly.com/jupyter/jup-ny/public/schedule/speaker/311705
youtube.com/watch?v=4igzy3bGVkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=11vZ80kGa3U&t=15m43s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

akarin is the best yuru yuri

Attached: 58144962.jpg (768x480, 101K)

i want to nakadashi akarin

So why don’t you post her instead of some empty garden?

wow rude

zero chance that she properly takes care of her pussy and asshole.

That's a suspicious-looking nose.

She found oop too confusing? Lol

>functional programming
what the actual fuck does this mean? not a dev but i've heard this shit bandied about is it just another buzzword like devops?

>is it just another buzzword like devops
no, it's a legitimate programming paradigm.

whether it's actually useful or not is up for debate, though.

Based on her extremely nebulous definition it sounds like just designing your program around use of functions? I guess that makes sense with the name but isnt that just programming in general? Or am i missing something

Attached: yeah_can_i_get_a_fuckin_uhhh.jpg (937x689, 90K)

You're missing something. Probably a brain

In functional programming:

- Functions take input, perform operations on them, and produce output. No side effects occur along the way
- Variables and data structures are immutable
- Higher order functions are a common design pattern

I am a scrub coder, but this sounds like it makes a lot of sense!

fair play, i didnt get very far into the talk and didnt bother googling

this seems like trying to play piano with mittens on, why the fuck would you bother when efficient programming methodologies have existed for nearly a century at this point

As an addendum to the reason it probably seems trivial to you if you're /imperative/ is that it's not so much about 'using functions' so much as its about 'not using other stuff' (than pure functions) like shared state.

I don't know, that's why I said it's debatable whether or not it's actually useful.

But functional programming is very, very, very popular in hedge firms specializing in automated trading systems. From what I've heard, two sigma and jane street make heavy use of ocaml and haskell and significantly prefer candidates with FP experience.

So there must be something useful about it, at least for hedge funds

functional paradigm imposes restrictions on the programmer however in often pays off huge (stability, testability, expressiveness, scalability)

I'd fug

>however in often pays off huge (stability, testability, expressiveness, scalability)
citation needed

>english teacher turned computational linguist turned software developer
"About 6 months ago I knew nothing about functional programming and very little about javascript."
"I'm not an expert in any of this."
I'm so glad she's teaching a class.

web.archive.org/web/20130819160454/http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/26/functional-programming-in-c/
youtube.com/watch?v=1PhArSujR_A

>is it just another buzzword like devops
DevOps is hardly a buzzword. And you should not presume anything considering you're a retard unaware of fundamental programming paradigms some learn in high school still.

what the fuck is devops

at least her teaching style is engaging and not autisticly boring

tactical programming

>what the fuck is devops

wow that was hard to learn

Attached: Capture.png (643x494, 68K)

I probably know less about what devops means after reading that image

If the org is large enough where deployment of a product involves both dev and "IT" people, nowdays they have a dev-ops role to handle it. Since it's a named role now it has become the focal point of discourse around deployment tech/tools, strategies/practices, etc

That blurb is a business-speak spouting mess, like most summaries.

how can deployment of a product involve IT people? Not being facetious, I dont work at a large company

hey man, I'm just the messenger with a stupid insult. I didn't make this shit up lol.

Web apps mostly, either self-hosted or cloud-hosted. There is *some* relevancy in non-web stuff, especially on complex apps that need configuration.

Contrived example: maybe my desktop software build might need SSL signing with a key IT provides/renews. Then it needs bundling in a VM (or docker or w/e) and uploaded somewhere. Turns out i need a history of x versions kept, due to client requirements. How do i manage this?

It mostly applies to companies who develop some sort of online program or web app.
The infrastructure that the product relies on and the development process are integrated and automated.

You're not really going to see a "devops" role for companies who don't sell online-connected software.

I wonder what she smells like

Javascript version of diversity:
>ex english teacher
>huuur duuur I know what high order functions are

Julia version of diversity:
conferences.oreilly.com/jupyter/jup-ny/public/schedule/speaker/311705
>Jane Herriman is director of diversity and outreach at Julia Computing and a PhD student at Caltech. She is a Julia, dance, and strength training enthusiast who uses Jupyter notebooks to teach Julia.
youtube.com/watch?v=4igzy3bGVkQ

Attached: jane_herriman875x500px.jpg (875x500, 70K)

>jewish

hmmm...

>Jane Herriman
>Jane Harry Man

Clearly some tarzan obsessed tranny.

dude let's design a language that pretends a computer isn't an imperative device lmao

Guys don't get to excited she is a functional programmer so she is probably LGBTQ

tfw you havent shilled C/C++/imperative/OO in the last 5 minutes

Attached: 14358899.jpg (300x300, 17K)

AAAARRRGGGGGGGGG

> OO is too haaaaard xDDDD

>scalability
doubt.

Attached: 1530123216101.jpg (1024x736, 56K)

who?

> ALWAYS USE map, filter and reduce
nice abstraction you got there, bitch.

> var
> it's actually a constant
OH NO NO NO NO

Why don't just use "let" instead of "var" then???? FUCKING THOTS

REEEEEE REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: wew.png (1890x876, 369K)

>Var
She wrote that on her phone?

>dude, let's design a language that pretends a computer is made up of objects
>dude, let's design a language that pretends a computer can understand mnemonics
>tfw abstractionlet

> not being a qt slim girl phone programming

this. Everything should be just pure binary.

>nitpicking minutia irrelevant to the example
>not shitting up a short example with object.freeze();
technically correct is the best correct XD amirite!!

> I'm not qualified enough to talk about concurrency
Based diversity hires!

Must be foreign to hear people acknowledge their limitations and be upfront about their experience when accustomed to Jow Forums's pervasive Dunning-Krugerposters.

based white knight!

It's mind boggling how many people can't wrap their head around OOP.

t. seething dunningkrugerposter

>web-dev
The only job a CS graduate or woman are qualified to do.

It's probably the same shit as "functional strength" and is about NPC's learning basics

It's actually not confusing at all, it's an abstraction meant to put software in terms of "objects". Almost everyone's taught in terms of real world objects like "dog" and "animal". Most lessons that introduce inheritance teach "dog inherits animals". This is confusing as fuck when you get to substitutability, and learn you arent meant to use inheritance as a type of composition. The tendency to think of objects as real nouns rather than abstract groupings stays with people. Also, the fact there is no easy way to know WHAT groupings we SHOULD use also encourages this - experienced OO people have just learned by wrote a bunch of patterns to call upon based on cues like the expected behaviour and the shape of the data in that area of the system. No wonder things like data-oriented design and functional programming are gaining more traction.

That's some wife material right there.

Look into Caml if you want to learn more about functional programming, it's an entirely different paradigm

It's a man, man. Look at his eyebrows. A manly man, man.

You're gay and she's gorgeous.

Wait, I'm a proper coding newblett but thought OOP was how majority of languages worked...

ie; c# and c++ which I'm managing to understand slowly bit by bit... is this bitch retarded?

funny, I passionately watched this show and don't remember ever seeing this character.

who the fuck would intentionally hire or pay to watch a lecture from someone who doesn't even know what they are talking about?

i'm pretty sure there are many more women more qualified to the job than that girl if they wanted to fill the diversity quota.

Not even wrong.

She knows enough to do a lecture on the basics, perhaps all that slot called for? I don't know anything about that conference, but often it can be difficult attracting people with high skill AND a desire to come give a talk. So, not only was she willing and met the criteria, shes a fairly engaging talker - nobody wants to sit and watch an autist mumble on stage for an hour. Note i'm pretty sure they didn't pay her - and most small conferences don't pay most speakers. She says in the video she had her expenses covered so she was able to make it - not that she was payed.

For reference, i've been to conferences where the average calibre of talk (not the keynotes) was by ordinary people sharing their experiences and generating discussion among the local industry - it's actually cool.

>who the fuck would intentionally hire or pay to watch a lecture from someone who doesn't even know what they are talking about?
SJWs, numales, cucks.
China and Russia would also pay for your Westcuck infrastructure and security to become worse so they can take advantage of it more easily as is already happening with Westcuck software security.

Attached: 1517340525314.jpg (720x849, 130K)

>JS brainlets need an unskilled woman to tell them about the basic bitch fp concepts

Boy am I glad I'm not a JS faggot, you guys will be out of a job in the net 5 years.

I like to call it societal erosion.

>mind boggling
no its not, OOP is actual trash the abstraction sounds great for dumb people but when you dive in no one uses that type of abstraction in the real world, its just some programmer grandpa that though it was great concept. We think in complex archetypes that are totally flexible and will change their purpose and meaning depending on the context, those fictitious categories used in OOP are a redundant complexity that makes people waste more time figuring the categories rather than spending time coding the actual program, i don't give a fuck if a cat is an animal or a mamal or what ever the fuck! Its just data that fits in memory and some SQL database stores it so i can access it later.>
JUST luck we can access the object stone.this and it has other 20 duplicated functions that are copied from the object nigger, so easy to debugg this! so fun to read 2000lines of duplicated code!

Why are computers so goddamn boring holy shit

Attached: 1543287593034.png (750x416, 176K)

>t. has never worked on a large code base

OOP is absolutely necessary to build large, maintainable software. The recent trend of FP is hyped up by webshits who only build CRUD crap software that is simple af.

OOP is easy, if you cannot grok it and use effectively, you basically just suck as a programmer.

>OOP is actual trash
Stopped reading right there. OOP is literally the only advance in computing technology in the last 40 years. It created ideas called polymorphism, code reuse, and separation of concerns. If you think you're hot shit try writing a web browser without any of these abilities.

BUT MUH DATA ORIENTED DESIGN FROM GAMEDEV
I WATCHED ONE TALK ABOUT ECS FROM A RUST CONV SO THAT MEANS OOP BAD AND ENTITY COMPONENT SYSTEM GOOD
JUST PUT EVERYTHING IN AN ARRAY LMAO

She's the one, boys
youtube.com/watch?v=11vZ80kGa3U&t=15m43s

Attached: images.png (205x246, 4K)

t. non-erlang developer

Real world OOP is confusing. Your simple animal bullshit is fine, user.

let/var/const who gives a fuck. Const isn't event a true const (it should have been deeply immutable, in its current state it's pointless.

fpbp

Mmmm, sexy

I'd properly take care of her pussy and asshole if you know what I mean.

Attached: 1543236050559.webm (500x500, 1.85M)

Let me guess, you majored in gender studies.

Attached: 88238193-5C8A-4C83-A057-260035F03863.png (1306x1916, 2.83M)

>when efficient programming methodologies have existed for nearly a century at this point

Fucking kill yourself.

God she looked fucking sexy in this movie

Functional programming is not a new paradigm. I has roots in LISP (introduced 60 years ago and among the most influential programming languages), and mathematics, which has been studied for millenia and is something every schoolchild is taught starting at a very early age.

literally no reason to do functional programming when you do imperative programming correctly.