Hey, I'm a 4k tv receiving a 1920x1080 signal

>hey, I'm a 4k tv receiving a 1920x1080 signal
>wow, who would've guessed, this happens to be the exact half of my native horizontal and vertical resolution
>you know what would be cool? simply using 2x2 pixels on my display for each pixel of the signal
>easy, right? naaaaah, let's send the signal through an absolute shit fest of a bilinear upscaling algorithm instead to make it a >BLURRY >FUCKING >MESS

Attached: 1520611303510.jpg (800x800, 202K)

>hey, I'm a graphics card driver
>I could easily double the output resolution of my graphics card using a simple 2x2 algorithm so the TV doesn't have to
>but you know what? I'm gonna use a BILINEAR FUCKING ALGORITHM FOR IT AS WELL
>BECAUSE EVERYONE JUST FUCKING LOVES BLUUUUR

Attached: 1520611303511.jpg (800x800, 202K)

4k tvs are a big meme

At this point i'm thinking some rogue AI is working on the firmware and software for all TV companies that somehow thinks more processiong=better.

It's not just TV manufacturers though, even monitor manufacturers and EVEN graphics card manufacturers seem to refuse to implement it in any way.

Attached: main-bilinear.png (244x280, 25K)

Even MICROSOFT FUCKING PAINT natively does what display manufacturers and graphics card manufacturers seemingly can't. UPSCALE TO DOUBLE THE SIZE, SIMPLY TURN ONE PIXEL INTO FOUR PIXELS. HOW FUCKING HARD CAN IT BE???

Just sit farther away from the TV :^)

I've been complaining about this for 5 years.
Preach.

Don't use non native res

Grim reminder

Attached: 2018resos.png (933x433, 122K)

GIMP does not have this problem.
LXImage does.

Attached: screenshot.png (1920x1080, 249K)

>falling for the 4k meme
>picture is shit
Serves you right you nigger rich faggot

>2018
>1366x768
>12%

When will this finally die?

When my and everyone else's X220 or other smol laptop dies.
Gaming on those dies when you get expendable income though.

>99% of gaymers are poor/students
who woulda thunk

>use native res
>everything scales like crap
>can't read half the shit
>the other half is all misaligned
Nice!

>Just sit farther away from the TV :^)
I wouldn't be able to, I've been planning a setup with a 4K monitor and a 4K TV specifically so I can play racing sims two and a half feet away from the TV screen. If I had a 1920x1080 monitor and a 4K TV I couldn't duplicate the image, and if I had a 1920x1080 monitor and TV the TV would have far too low a pixel density for sitting right in front of.

No. Think of a new AAA game. Dwarf Fortress, say. Your framerate will be strained even with excellent flagship hardware on 1440p at 144 Hz. Now take it to 4K. Your framerate will probably be sub-60 Hz. 4K just can't be used for gaming with our shitty hardware yet. And Moore's law is dead.

>>you know what would be cool? simply using 2x2 pixels on my display for each pixel of the signal
That's nearest neighbor upscaling and results in god-awful aliasing. It's not good for anything other than retro game upscaling where you intend to keep the pixellated look.

What about using a 1920x1080 desktop environment on a 4K screen? You'd rather look through the eternal layer of vaseline that's bilinear upscaling?

Attached: 1525552416338.png (666x344, 184K)

> hey I'm a monitor
> I can easily support lossless video
> but you know what? I'm gonna only have HDMI support
> BECAUSE EVERYONE JUST FUCKING LOVES BLUUUUUUR

Attached: 1543150847198.gif (480x480, 3.07M)

GPU Scaling.

GPUs still scale bilinearly though. Petitions to finally get some settings options from Nvidia and AMD are ongoing.

Tkimz I hope you're doing alright.

No, I wouldn't use a 1920x1080 desktop on a 4K monitor because it would look horrible no matter what, unless I were so far away that I'd no longer be able to see it. Everything looks bad, but with movies and games it's not quite as bad as with desktop use, since desktop use is full of small details (read: small text) which look absolutely terrible unless they're at native resolution.

> Hey I'm op
> I can't google "Adjust screen scale" or use xrandr
> I'm a huge faggot

1280*720 masterrace checking in

>Petitions to finally get some settings options from Nvidia and AMD are ongoing.
they have been up for over 5 years. unless some big youtuber is going to make a video about how fucking incompetent they are nothing is going to change

Doesnt Nvidia dynamic super resolution do this?

Oh linus