Why don't you have 4TB of storage, Jow Forums?

news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-brings-multi-terabyte-storage-capacities-at-accessible-price-with-860-qvo-ssd

Why don't you have 4TB of storage, Jow Forums?

Attached: Samsung-860-QVO-SSD_main_1.jpg (1000x667, 333K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/samsung-860-evo-1tb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive-for-laptops/6178649.p?skuId=6178649
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have 12TB and it's all spinny disk storage, when it's viable to replace them with ssd's I'll do it.

We are finally seeing 1TB/$100 on decent SSDs(no NVMe). Unless QLC brings 4TB/$150, it's DOA.

These prices are garbage.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-27 12-45-50.png (428x430, 40K)

>QLC
>slower than 7200rpm
YIKES!

Wait so it's slower than hard drives? That's not the same as a good SSD being cheap that's just cheap shit being cheap.

>80MB/s
No, thanks.

Attached: 1534654440127.png (540x718, 287K)

l-lookin good

I don't even.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-27 13-02-34.png (676x587, 68K)

Yep gonna wait until there's a bigboi 10tb ssd ao I can copy all my hdd shit off and finally retire then most of them are 5+ years old

lmao end your life if you actually believe this

you need to do long writes in a short amount of time (more than 50GB in a few tens of minutes) to actually hit those low writes. it's the same shit as tlc. for the money, this is perfect as a second or third or portable ssd

only retards can complain about this.

QLC drives have like 1/10th of the reliability of MLC drives right?

It will need to be like half the price to make sense

>120 gb ssd
>600 gb partition from a torrent dumpster HDD
>bcached together
>my daily driver Linux system

Will probably keep it until something dies

I don't hoard data. 512 GB is plenty for now. by the time I need more prices will be lower.

I don't get it, do you need to set the file size AND the time it needs to finish writting(how you do that) to hit this low speed or do you just need to copy this large file and the speed will be lowered after a few of tens minutes?

>reliability
you'll have to be more specific since the controller is always what ends up failing in SSDs

This SSD is a meme
>it has a little bit of fast storage
>and a fuckload of slow storage
>priced as if it was all fast storage

Use tiered storage of a cheap ass SSD and an HDD then.

i'll take low speed high density SSD over the same in hard drives.
spinnan disks aren't reliable, cost energy, make noise, and are just bigger in general

>Bought an actually good 1TB SSD for cheaper on BLACKED Friday
feelsgood

Attached: 96d8220c85e8650a22e66d9b7031143d76c6194dfd2fe1a2ad26bb1b9e4e09d7.jpg (255x191, 12K)

Depends on how much wizardry they put in the controller.
If they really wanted to, they could take the unused space of an incomplete write to perform smaller writes
in the end people will just have to buy one and try it.

It's obvious why they waited until one day after cyber monday sales to announce this.

But what a typical user needs most of the time are read speeds, and those are just as good as any other SATA SSD. Even with slower write speed it will still appear faster than a HDD to the end user because of much better access time.

If you read outside the fast cache it's not that fast either.

their data sheet doesn't even show a read cache

it's the same cache for priority access and writeback.

Not using an external SSD to replace the internal storage component, for portability and write speeds at 540 MB/s.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 2.12.20 PM.png (2506x1426, 712K)

and costs way less
fucking poors eh

HDDs are still cheaper and performance is very good if you RAID them together.
The only thing I'd put on an SSD is Windows because it has retarded I/O patterns. I have Windows VMs on a Linux host and they used to choke up the array they were running from.

>nearly $400 for 2TB
What is wrong with you? Do you hate saving money?

> writing speeds slow
You guys do know physically writing is the hard part. Reading should be almost as fast as light or however fast the clock speed is of the buss. 80MB/s is expected
M.2 should even be able to reach higher speeds without the PCIE bottleneck

Sometimes I think windows developers use bubble sort or unsorted linked lists

I opted for the TLC version.

Attached: Speckie.png (851x647, 41K)

hello hello.
how is it going in this thread?

Attached: 128tb-sd-card.gif (537x700, 27K)

>Limited by cache
No thanks.
Maybe if they ever hit $25-40 per TB i will consider QLC, otherwise TLC is the sweet spot.

Reliability is based in the controller and NAND type.
QLC has 1/100th of MLC durability, 1/10th of TLC.

I'll take that cheap house, thank you very much.

>mfw fuck ton of 128gb ssd's for free from "trash" (some liteon drives from dell laptops)
>perform actually really good
>only use for OS

Why do i need one as big as 4tb?

Attached: OilbXuP.jpg (720x707, 45K)

Why don't you just buy multiple smaller SSDs that add up to a more affordable price

when you want 4TB of space in your laptop

3 120GB SSDs+3 SATA cables = $110.
One high end 1TB SSD = $120.

>wanting space
>not actually even using 1% of 4tb

There's quite literally zero reason to use SSDs for long-term storage. Even if they were the same price as hard drives, I'd still choose the latter.

Samsung's own 860 evo 1tb is cheaper, faster, has a longer warranty and has higher rated endurance. That drive is intense shit, zero reason to buy it.

Attached: 1542990109386.png (138x310, 26K)

>deleting things

Attached: Annotation 2018-11-27 160202.jpg (650x154, 20K)

I wish I lived in your parallel universe where SSDs are half the cost of their listed price

860 is $130 at best buy right now.
bestbuy.com/site/samsung-860-evo-1tb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive-for-laptops/6178649.p?skuId=6178649

Are TLC sricea still gonna be I'm production or should I start stockpiling them?

THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM!!!!!!

Attached: SNAG-0231.png (479x129, 11K)

wew in ten years this might be 100 bux.

so fine intelligent Jow Forumsentlemen of the chans, how safe would it be to raid 2x4tb to 8gb and use em as a steam library?

Everything would be backed up on the steam cloud in the event of failure so it wouldnt be important data, but basically as a 99% read drive this would probably be safe for years right?

because I would rather have 4x 1tb 860 evos for cheaper, and they are much faster than that slow shit.

I have 5GB and a bit usable in raidz1 on a humble self made NAS.

I mean TB, not GB obviously. Sorry for that.

>SSD dies
>Lose 4TB of data
nice

Because it's all QLC which means shittier speeds, shittier lifespan

>QLC
Gross

Rarely happens these days.

>rarely means never
user...

No it's not, the caching system is only for writing.

>The 860 QVO will be available globally from December 2018, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) starting at $149.99 for the 1TB

>you can already get 1TiB TLC drives for less

Retailers will bring that price down. The 1Tb 860 Evo is priced at well over $200 but is discounted by the time it hits the retail chain. Expect to pay $100 for the 1Tb and $380 for the 4TB.

hard drives die too homie

But the MSRP of the 860 evo 1TB is 199.99.

Yeah, and I wouldn't buy a 4TB HDD for the same reason.

QLC has shitty read speeds too.

Will these be faster or slower than the 860 evo?

I literally have a 2tb coming in the mail as we speak.

Slower. Still not as bad as rewriting an SMR HDD, but god damn if they're not trying.

this is not even cheaper than what we have no

I thought technology was supposed to get better. I will stick to my 850's.

a 4tb 860 evo is currently $790 on amazon.

Is there a good reason not to buy M.2 SSD's these days? They are 5 times faster after all.

i'm assuming you meant nvme. it's more expensive and i'd have to buy a new motherboard or adapter. it's just not worth it for me.

M.2 != NVMe, you triple nigger.

But you'd be buying m.2 form factor ssds.
Theres exactly zero potential confusion about it.

'bdoyyyyy why dont u bdoyp bdoy Jow Forums?'
'Jow Forums why arnt u bderp bdoyyyyy Jow Forums why?'
'i cake the subject of my thread in a played out memetic masquerade cause ive forgotten how to healthily communicate with the written word & i aint ever goin back!'
reeeee-taaaaaaaaard

>sata
into the trash it goes

why would you buy a m.2 ssd over a sata ssd? no more sata ports?

read/write speed is 5 times faster

you're thinking of nvme. non nvme ssds are the same speed as sata ssds.

>using the phrase accessable for price

I think I'm going to be sick

I'm in that camp and bought a SATA m.2 SSD.

You dumb retard.

I mean m.2 ssd since that relates to the form factor, which also requires a specific mobo that has m.2 slot.
Stores also list ssds by their form factor so its easier.

i know what you're talking about. if it's not nvme, it's not faster than a sata ssd.

But why would anyone buy sata ssd at m.2 form factor?

i see i'm being trolled

:(

Well you have autism if you think people mean sata ssds when they talk about m.2 ssds.

stop bullying me

ok

It sounds like such a stupid idea especially on QLC. Data retention is gonna be absolute shit when you need to store 16 different combinations on a single cell (4 bit).

$400 is a day of groceries for me at Whole Foods

>qlc
No thanks!

2TB for $300 doesn't seem bad to me.

QLC fucking sucks they shouldn't be selling this shit at any price

They are when the TLC counterpart is just as expensive. What's the fucking point of going QLC if it's not cheaper? Fucking flash storage jews ruining everything.

When a hard drive is dying you'll know its gonna die and even when it does it is relatively easy to recover the data.

If your SSD dies you're toast.

> Toshiba
Good as gone

Given that 1 TB was close to 2x the price listed just 2 years ago, its not too bad. Still quite too high imo. We need the 4TB = $200 parity.