SOLID STATE BATTERY IS HERE!!!

twice the energy density as li-ion cuck batteries

Attached: 1530142954399.png (651x670, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/04/19/016213/the-slashdot-interview-with-lithium-ion-battery-inventor-john-b-goodenough.
youtu.be/m9-cNNYb1Ik
globalminingobserver.com/inside-formula-e-battery-season-5-197/
metalary.com/lithium-price/
theengineer.co.uk/supercapacitors-a-technologies/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>startup
>144 million dollars
holy mackerel

but does it use lithium?

Solid-state batteries would be really nice. Related interview from 2017: hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/04/19/016213/the-slashdot-interview-with-lithium-ion-battery-inventor-john-b-goodenough.

> 400 Wh/kg
> normal Li batteries have around 100Wh/kg

This sounds great.

> replacing the liquid or gel-form electrolyte with a solid or conductive material

Since Lithium is the nonplusultra in the galvanic series with -3.04V, I doubt it's going to be replaced anytime soon.

Thank god. I am heavily invested on Lithium. So far It hasn't produced but if the electric car revolution does indeed materialize I hope to make some money. The only thing I am scare of is a disruptive breakthrough in battery tech not involving Lithium.

They've been "here" for a while. Some auto makers have had prototypes for a while, not manufactured in China either.

Lithium isn't going away any time soon, but I doubt its going to be a super hot commodity you'll see returns from.

If anything I would be less skeptical of this than all the other bullshit battery tech that's been floating around in the news for years
At least this seems like it's being mass produced

>china
>battery
>not ied

if seen a video of a guy ordering a pack of them from china and testing properties
while they were stupidly safe, the energy density was a joke for small cells
but the shit didn't even die after cutting it in half, so im interested in seeing those used on chinkshit soon
>hurr yellow man bad

>Not believing in the magic battery
>Not believing in the battery that can be entirely charged in 30 seconds that's announced every year since a decade

How many times can it be recharged before it drops below 80% capacity permanently? Does capacity collapse after a couple deep discharges?

They're not drastically different from current batteries in terms of charge cycles and other characteristics. They just save weight and have a denser packaging because of the thin glass/whatever material replacing the other electrolyte. The rest of the chemistry is more or less the same.

will they be used in the new Tesla?

Chemistry doesn't really change.

These little fuckers are the enemy you're looking for and there's still no good solution to combat them for good.

Attached: lithium-dendrite-formation.jpg (575x411, 141K)

Technically they could make the whole car out of a battery. The whole body could be a thin, large surface battery.

Denser bigger battery will mean a longer life in general
Let's say your 2500mah battery on your phone lasts you a day and so you have to recharge it every day, after 2 years that's over 700 cycles and way under 80% of it's original capacity
Now your phone gets a 10000mah battery with the new solid cells and lasts 4 days on a charge
Now it'll be at least 5 years until your battery reaches enough cycles to really deteriorate any and you'll still have all day battery even way after that

Attached: 551.jpg (320x180, 13K)

how heavy?

>botnet batteries

A solid lithium cell should be 1/4 the weight of a normal lithium-ion battery of the same capacity
So if a 100Wh lithium battery weighs 1Kg a 100Wh solid lithium battery should only weigh 0.25Kg

>now featuring the Tesla Sedan of Peace

I thought lithium battery was solid state battery.

Attached: 1531359505563.jpg (1171x936, 87K)

youtu.be/m9-cNNYb1Ik

They are. Solid state is just a buzzword now. Literally every modern device is solid state outside of industrial relays, lead acid batteries, and shit like that.

>4x the energy density batteries become a thing

>Every manufacturer builds their devices with cells 1/4th the size they would have originally. so max usage time remains the same and you constantly have to fucking recharge a endless string of batteries and/or buy ones that cost 20x as much as normal lith

heh, nothin' personal kid

Don't forget:
>Also, phones get even thinner, so the chance of dropping or otherwise accidentally breaking them increases.

They are just going to make the phones even thinner.

Attached: 1529509904813.jpg (600x600, 333K)

I'm still waiting for that bendable, ruler thin battery I saw on tv once a decade ago or more.

don't believe anything a chink says, wait for the product and real tests.

Shhh
We can dream

>production capacity measured in joules/second*hour/year
What went wrong

*blocks your path*

Attached: gettyimages-160380750.jpg (1200x800, 65K)

>install nanobot-batteries
>leave them charging at home when you go to work
>the nanobots materialize as a small robot that hacks your computer and sends a copy of your drive contents to China
>transforms back into a battery when it's done
:o

>AMAZING NEW BREAKTHROUGH MADE IN BATTERY TECHNOLOGY THAT WILL CHANGE OUR ELECTRONICS FOREVER
Wow, I've never heard this one before

Attached: 1522614059727.png (353x334, 131K)

Holy shit, so potentially 4x better than li-ion.

Wonder how expensive these will be if they are legit, they will be amazing for e bikes and cars if they are the same price.

Are we gonna get 50mph, 250mile range electric dirt bikes that cost just a couple of grand within a decade? 14 hour drive time electric car?

Id love something like this that does 250 miles on a 4-8 hour charge, top speed of 50mph and that costs

chinese companies are largely state funded. if you fuck up those funds you get the rope

Attached: cuCjrRi.png (467x585, 375K)

Isn't there like only one lithium mine in the world or something?

>the iPhone 17 S is announced
>Apple removes the charging port and the volume buttons
>it literally has the thickness of a sheet of paper
>the phone snaps in half if you attempt to put it in your pocket
>Apple blames this on its users
>hundreds of articles start appearing that explain why it's actually a good thing, and why we need even thinner phones

>hurr yellow man bad
You really think chink shit is safe and reliable? I have a chink bridge I will sell you

>Isn't there "x" or something?
I'll never understand why people write posts like these when they have the entire internet at their fingertips

I read a little bit about carbon fiber supercapacitors. They can be made from hemp waste.

Huh? Isnt that too small?

I'll never understand why incels think anyone cares about their whining

>The only thing I am scare of is a disruptive breakthrough in battery tech not involving Lithium.

Then pay close attention to Formula E.

The new 2018 batteries (made by McLaren) likely use Aluminium and other metals instead of Lithium.
They have double the energy density compared to last year's lithium based batteries.
And the whole point of Formula E is to develop technology that can later be used in road cars, so it's not just for racing but a sign of what can come in the future.

Here is an interesting article:
globalminingobserver.com/inside-formula-e-battery-season-5-197/

Hola reddit

So explosions twice the size?

>Spends his time complaining about other anons on the chans
>not an incel
pick one and only one

The biggest issues with new tech like batteries are:
1. safety -- whether it bursts in to flames
2. affordability -- whether the materials are cheap enough
3. efficacy -- whether the manufacturing output makes the ROI worth it

Often tech like this fail at one of these areas which either means that it's super expensive or just another paper.

I guess you're an incel too according to that retarded logic.

Look at this deflection. Grow up kid and take a bath too

Not unless it reacts with oxygen

what is wrong with being a virgin?

>No u!
Put some actual effort into your bait next time.

where 2 cop

Ha ha great, that'll never happen.

The article even mentions it - aluminium is rather cheap compared to other materials.

metalary.com/lithium-price/

If you look at the prices of the raw materials:
> Aluminum: $1,885.29 per metric ton
> Lithium: $16,500.00 per metric ton

However, looking at the galvanic series:
> Aluminium: −1.66 V
> Lithium: -3.04 V

The only reason why they could double the energy density is probably because their lithium batteries have some safety concerns that prevent them from maximizing everything. From an electrochemical point of view, it makes no sense to not use Lithium.

I wonder if calcium is getting used in batteries one day. It's still somewhat cheapish (if I read it correctly, somehwere around 2.4-2.5k $ per ton) while being way closer to Lithium in terms of maximal output ( −2.87 V). No idea how its reactiveness translates into fire hazard, though. Sodium (-2.71 V) is widely available, but even more reactive than Lithium, so that's a no-go, I guess.

If you read the article, Aluminium based batteries are supposedly safer and more affordable.
And of course safety is a huge decider in Formula E.
Unsafe batteries would be a PR disaster for the sport and for electric road cars.

As for the ROI: we're talking about existing batteries that are already powering racing cars, not some pipe-dream.
Also, car manufacturing is a huge industry and any saving in manufacturing (like by using cheaper Aluminium rather than more expensive Lithium) quickly outweighs billions in development costs.
Mercedes spend 600 million on a Formula 1 engine that doesn't even contain much technology usable for road cars, they will easily spend billions on a better battery for their electric cars possibly tens of billions.

Ok but climate change

>From an electrochemical point of view, it makes no sense to not use Lithium.

The article also mentions heat buildup in lithium batteries.
This is a big issue because it limits charging speeds.

It they can make a relatively small battery that can fast charge at 350kW they could have a killer product: cheap light EV with limited range but which charges so fast it's not really an issue.

not so fast

theengineer.co.uk/supercapacitors-a-technologies/

Attached: 249480900001211.png (1000x666, 331K)

> The article also mentions heat buildup in lithium batteries.

That's what I said - they can use other materials because they're saver. But lithium would always higher results in theory.

If those solid state batteries could quadruple the energy density at the same weight, it would be a massive game changer. Not only would mobile devices massively benefit from that, it would probably also make electric cards viable for the masses since their range could easily surpass normal cars then.

Attached: dis gon b gud.gif (350x191, 1M)

Would anyone had preferred him to say "There is only one lithium mine in the world" without knowing? I'm curious as to how long you've been using any forum at all not understanding its just a quick way to share unverified information. Nobody is obligated to fact check as much as your autism may despise it.

Just googled it an apparently most is extracted from "brine water"

I have a screenshot from a thinkpad thread where someone fucked up and told an user to coreboot their batteries, made me kek

I don't know if this works, but:

>Would anyone had preferred him to say "There is only one lithium mine in the world" without knowing?
Literally 20 seconds worth of googling on his end would've confirmed or denied his statement you lazy faggot

Current Li technology gets up to 600Wh/kg.
Not impressive at all, but then again this is just the start and it could be increased beyond what Lithium Ion can do.

There was a major bridge collapse a few years ago and only 7 people died, this is far lower than any other bridge collapse, especially in a heavily populated area.

I am heavily invested in co2 credits

In mechanics, solid state means no moving parts
(In EE, solid state means all the moving parts are MEMS gear on silicon)
In chemistry, solid state means no liquids

sort of. but yeah one mine in the heart of Africa is responsible for the batteries in everything from cell phones and laptops to electric cars and if it runs out, we are pretty much back to the 90s in terms of tech. thats why we will need to find a new alternative to this type of battery very soon in the near future

"unicorn" is a term for startups that hit $1B in worth before going public. It's rare but happens often enough to have its own term.

>Literally every modern device is solid state
>what is hdd

What does "solid state" mean in this context?

No spinning parts in your battery

Attached: 1502680692569.png (500x612, 247K)

Can't you fucking read? There's no fluid electrolyte in them.

This will make electric airplanes feasible.

Whatever happened to those Japanese blokes with the cotton battery?

Attached: power-japan-plus_100466799_m.jpg (640x441, 31K)

Spot on for mentioning Formula E. Formula series has always been the epitome of cutting edge tech, and Formula E is all about the batteries

Don’t we already have better theoretical batteries, isn’t there something about sticking radioactive shit in an artificial diamond to get a really good power cell or something?

>Thank god. I am heavily invested on Lithium. So far It hasn't produced but if the electric car revolution does indeed materialize I hope to make some money. The only thing I am scare of is a disruptive breakthrough in battery tech not involving Lithium.
Lol they will run out before they start needing enough.

>isn’t there something about sticking radioactive shit in an artificial diamond to get a really good power cell or something

That doesn't sound safe - at all. How do you shield potential gamma radiation?

Attached: LOL WUT.jpg (600x669, 49K)

> energy density increases
> good
Don't you realize that's dangerous af? Lithium can already cause some serious burns, now imagine something even more dense in your phone.

We need more efficiency, and not more energy density.

long lasting, but very low power
plus, there's no way something like that will ever be cheap or mass produced

>Don't you realize that's dangerous af?

Attached: 1516473112425.png (781x401, 166K)

A fucking carrot has enough energy in it to power your phone for a month, genius.

Yeah, good luck removing all that energy from the carrot, genius.

for planes you have hydrogen

>what is digestion and mitochondria

Nonsense, scientists are so pissed off at the jews who own all the diamond mines and started the wedding ring shit that the artificial diamond industry is really growing.

i should have known they were long lasting and low power, i actually know a vague amount about nuclear shit, fuck i feel retarded

we're decades away from having smartphones with digestive organs user.

at least post the article next time you fucking mong

lost

Attached: iPhone 17 S.png (605x520, 90K)

>nuclear diamond powered casio terrorist watches are possible in our lifetimes

Neat.

praise

The point is, genius, that energy density isn't inherently dangerous. A bag full of sugar contains enough potential energy to power your computer for days on end. It isn't going to randomly explode, catch fire, or short out. The physical structure of current batteries is their issue, not their chemistry, nor is increasing energy density something to have presumptive fears about, genius.