/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: boomer_thinkpad.jpg (4160x3120, 3.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834985174
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X230
fedoramagazine.org/getting-started-i3-window-manager/
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Libreboot/ThinkPad_X60)
mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/libreboot/stable/20160907/rom/grub/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>muh function over form
would you still use a thinkpad if they were all pink instead of black?

Would you still suck cock if they were pink instead of black?

Attached: 1307031075603.png (500x375, 245K)

T420 for 194€ yeah or nay?

my skin color isn't pink, orange man
don't dare to talk to me again you racist scum

depends on the stats.

14" Core I5-2520M 2.5 GHz - HDD 500 Go - RAM 4 Go

no, absolutely no.

ok thanks mommy

I want to buy a new t420 battery and i have found this: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834985174

Its much lower than anywhere else and I find it a bit sketchy. what do you guys think? should I buy it?

I'm running win7 on my x220 and after installing the lenovo power manager I restarted and now have a black screen. What can I do about this?

install gentoo

Nvm it's working

I got this 'bitchin t440s, how hard is replacing the screen on this cunt? I wanna get a 1080p ips screen.

Not too difficult, consult the hardware maintenance manual.

i have bought a A485 with a 2700U, is it a mistake ?

will x201 tablet motherboard on x201?

I have a Thinkpad E585 and I gotta say it sucks ass.

Battery life is about 3 - 4 hours on Windows with the Lenovo power driver installed. Even less on Linux where said driver isn't available. Linux support is non-existant. You can get it installed by changing some boot settings but there's constant crashing (as in the system freezes completely without warning and you can't recover it without a hard restart) and various features don't seem to work properly. The thing also has no idea what to do with it's fan. It's either dead silent but slow as fuck or loud as all hell if you even slightly tweak your power plan.

Just warning any potential buyers. Might be worth it if they ever fix the Linux issues (hint: they won't) but even then the battery life is agonising.

What is the best GPU to get for use as eGPU for my Thinkpad T420 before i5-2520M CPU/PCI 2.0 makes me hit serious diminishing returns? I'll be using an external monitor.

I got a t440p and it’s extremely fucking easy. Just watch a video prior to you actually doing it and you’re good to go.

Yes it will fit, but there are a few electrical differences. They're minor, if you're experienced with SMD rework, you can convert it to a non-tablet fairly easily. Not sure what changes are needed for the EC though.

Is the X220 or X230 a better "companion" thinkpad to go with my T440p? I use my t440p like a desktop and it's a bit of a big boy so I figured I should get something small and portable. I had a chromebook briefly (yeah, ew, I know) but the wireless card seems to be completely fucked on it now and it used to be my portable computer.

One other thing- I stupidly spilled hot cocoa on my t440p a few weeks ago, but the keyboard and trackpad are still working fine, thank god. It doesn't recognize its battery anymore, though. How do I fix that? I've shut down the computer several times and took out and put the battery back in and it just refuses to read it.

I have a T60 here with 2GB RAM, an ATI GPU (which sucks because no Libreboot), an Intel Core Duo T2500 (i386/i686), and Bodhi Linux. This is probably the most comfortable laptop I have ever owned and it just works right off of the bat.
>inb4 ThinkPad shill

I think it's cheaper to get an x230 since they ship with ips panels and you probably don't want the tn panels. Or you get an x220t.
I have an x230 as my daily driver & to take to work occasionally, don't regret buying it. If you really want the x220 kb you can actually install it relatively easily, I'm considering it as well.

I assume you've already done the trackpad swap?

I spilled a glass of water in my T510 and now it won't turn on. Hoping it is only the keyboard that is shorted but would like to know for sure before replacing it. Is there a way to tell if the mobo and the rest are okay? It had been working after the spill, except for keyboard problems.

First make sure it's properly dried. If you have a dock, try removing the keyboard, the t510 on the dock, and try turning it on with the dock power switch. Again, first make sure it's dry.

shoutout to ebay seller of the year who was selling 2 z61t's together with their docks, had 4 of them, but wanted to sell the lesser two
said he decided to sell all 4 so he instead sent me the two better ones, maxed, very clean, all together with fresh installs of the factory disk they came with

good shit

Attached: z61ts.jpg (773x580, 55K)

Hello ThinkAnons.
I purchased a X230 but I have a question. I'm planning on putting two SSDs inside it, but reading on thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X230 it says "If the computer is equipped with both a hard disk drive and an mSATA solid-state drive, do not use the mSATA solid-state drive as a bootable device. The mSATA solid-state drive is used for the “cache” function only." even though it says booting from mSATA is possible.
So I guess it's just a bullshit warning from the manufacturer and should work fine as two drives under Linux?
Thanks.

comfy pic op

noice

It should be dried, since the spill happened last night. I haven't got a dock, by there !UST be another way to turn it on without the power button, right?

>X230 comes in
>Keyboard kicks ass
So were all you morons just memeing about the X220 keyboard being better than the X230's?

they feel fine its the layout that sucks

It's a matter of taste and preference.

its really just personal preference and more people prefer the older style of keyboard
same can be said about any keyboard, some people like chiclet keys, some people refuse to use anything other than an original ibm Model M with new old stock springs

hey i'm here to gloat

Attached: you guys are fucked - Copy.jpg (531x242, 46K)

I broke a keyboard while swapping things in and out of my t420 more specifically I tore the ribbon cable. Is there a replacement cable or do I have to get a whole new key board?

you can replace it, its held on with a slightly conductive adhesive and it takes a while to cure properly, and even then its usually applied by a
machine because its fairly small, and from what others have said, replacing it doesnt always work correctly and it can still read keys wrong or fail to read keys at all

its like, it can be replaced but its really not meant to be, just get a new keyboard

I'm booting off my mSATA drive right now, and I also have a 500GB spinner.

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I can safely purchase the mSATA drive now.

Why does the wallpaper remind you to use your brain?

Can't decide between an X220 and a T420.
Although I do work an an external display (Cintiq 13HD) so size isn't really an issue and I do think that the X220 is cute as fwark so I'm more tilting in that direction.

That said, what are your thoughts?

God I miss Windows XP days

I bought an x280. I'm cool with the soldered ram, and the battery life is more than enough for me. I'm worried about the exhaust vent being on the right-hand side, but I think It'll be alright. I'll report back when I get it but she was cheap for black friday.
Anyone want to grill me or tell me anything I need to know for when it arrives? I'm upgrading from an x201 for more processing power, for context.

Attached: x280.png (725x515, 79K)

Because everything else is constantly telling you not to.

>thinkpad users

Attached: 1539966862884.jpg (2976x3968, 2.12M)

nice

based

Can I get a decent ThinkPad for around $400? What are my best options? Mainly using it to write and browse the internet (watch videos and occasional livestream, torrent movies) without things freezing so often. My current laptop is an HP from over five years ago.

Attached: Confused Harpy Eagle.jpg (1080x1080, 96K)

good thread

Attached: kyle's rice.png (2000x910, 2.56M)

t440p

Why is there a screaming wojak on the Lenovo commercial screen?

Attached: 336634B5-3624-4D93-9D48-6A6BB5980A23.jpg (1413x1697, 130K)

My X220 does all of those things fine, and it's even older. When was the last time you cleared the dust out of your current system, and has it got an SSD?

Where are you? Thinkpads seem to be noticeably more expensive in Europe. It's probably a base spec model with the nasty 768p panel too.

Anybody here ever upgrade the CPU on their laptop? Is there a guide somewhere for doing this?

Attached: joca.jpg (600x900, 84K)

I did this last week. The T420's HMM explains how to unlock the socket so you can swap them out if you don't intuitively understand it. Is there something in particular you want to know?

Attached: 2018-11-27-230808_872x342_scrot.png (872x342, 45K)

how are the batteries for the x200 series holding up?

Also, how is the screen? I don't care about much but form factor and screen since all I'm doing is work on a remote machine through ssh and http

I'm about to pull the trigger but these two things are a big deal to me

You use the HMM for your model to see how to actually strip it down to the point where you can get the CPU out.
Laptop sockets generally use a small screw that you turn with a flat screwdriver instead of the lever you find on desktop PGA sockets.
Since there might be exposed components on the substrate, use non-conductive thermal paste.

Where did you buy the CPU? All the ones I see in Ebay are expensive as fuck.

How common are dead pixels on the x230? I just bought one from a recycling center.

Attached: @yaelaheart.jpg (1080x1219, 102K)

i installed i3 gaps but now whatever I do a loading cursor shows up and nothing happens. what should I do?

so who else has aspergers?

The T480s is amazing but holy shit Lenovo really fucked on the display (FHD).

This garbage panel belongs on a budget Walmart laptop or even an E-series, not on a $2k MacBook Pro "competitor".

Attached: 1520716335086.gif (162x162, 100K)

delet this, you can learn your way out of it

Attached: 1538539244108.jpg (750x919, 126K)

>T480
>new lenovo

Attached: 1512582558346.png (1051x1200, 740K)

Dropped my ThinkPad, it's fine since it's an older plastic one but a bit of plastic in the corner came off (didn't pick it up)
what can i do about that?

Modelers putty and a black marker. Or just get black modelers putty.

l-lewd!

might be replacement parts on ebay too

I got my i5 t420 for 80 euros on ebay, so look for a better deal

I waited for a recycling center to sell 10 at once around the same time. A few of them in people stopped bidding them so high and I got a x230 for $90 total.

What's the best way to find out whether a screen is TN or IPS? Most sellers don't list that info.

any other issues with it? Seriously considering it.
Hows the build quality, keyboard and general feel? Is it even slightly comparable to my beloved T430?

When it comes to buying an x220 in 2018, how much longer will it be viable considering batteries dying out? I owned one before and loved it, and with a good Linux distro installed it does everything I want to. Just a bit worried about having to switch away after all the official Lenovo batteries lose charge

eBay batteries are fine, i have two of them, no issues so far.

I'm picking up a T520 with 15.6" 1080p/i7-2640M/6G/320G tomorrow.

I'm gonna replace the battery with a 9cell and put a SSD in the drive bay, but is there something else I should look out for? I might upgrade to 2630QM later on.

isn't 3632qm uses ivy bridge?

Thinking of buying a used Dell Latitude e7440 for about $220
The only issue with it is the control key has faded down to the clear plastic.
Thoughts?

how much to pay for a T460 with a i56200U and 32gb ram

----------------->
----------------->

is it ok to have my ssd just loose in the bay? the drive adapter hasn't come yet but the port is there regardless

I don't use my X200 for gaming, but recently I've been wondering how decent is it for that purpose? Does anyone play any video games on their x200? Which games can it run decently? I'm sure it probably won't perform well with something like GS:GO, but how about Terraria or Factorio?

Good enough to get yourself a bit familiar with it:
fedoramagazine.org/getting-started-i3-window-manager/
For more:
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html

Terraria maybe. Factorio, no.

I have Dell E6400 which is similar to X200 on terms of specifications (same CPU, GPU, screen resolution) and it's really shitty for gaming. You can't even boot any new 2D games because it doesn't support OpenGL above 2.1. It's okay for some boomercore games (Fallout, Arcanum, Doom and so on - you can pay them with mods in full resolution) but for 3D games it's horrible. Silent Hill 2 is laggy at 480p at lowest, Half Life 1 runs okayish but when something explodes framerate dips down to 15-20FPS while running on OpenGL. The only games I tested which run fine were Thief 1 and Max Payne 1.

can someone recommend me a good cheap model? need 4-8gb ram and a decent processor

>set battery charge to stop at around 70% a year ago and working ever since
>plug in this morning and realize it's charging at 92%
WHAT THE HECK

Bout to buy a HP Zbook 15u G5. Like, right now.

Tell me I'm not making a horrible mistake, Jow Forums. Tell me I can live with the "lol customized for extroverts"-design. I'm not gonna regret this, right?

Attached: 1413607706601.png (668x710, 193K)

(en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Libreboot/ThinkPad_X60)
>bin/x60t/ - ThinkPad X60 Tablet
Got a x60 tablet, which is flashed with its own rom, there is no rom for it in the new or old releases of libreboot (mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/libreboot/stable/20160907/rom/grub/)
Someone help?

Attached: 1535849641451.png (1920x1080, 1.21M)

As expected; AMD chips draws 3x the power during idle. If you are going Ryzen you should be getting a A485 with maximum battery configuration. I don't think the Intel equivalent of the E585 will have such poor battery life.

Ebay. It was about $80. Worth it though.

Yeah, I installed coreboot.

YOU DUMB NEETS WERE SUPPOSED TO BUY THE ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Attached: sellsellsell.png (463x754, 76K)

Don't know about Factorio, but OpenTTD runs fine. Isn't Factorio a similar game?

it's perfect, g

Attached: x61.jpg (895x597, 310K)

depends on the specs, there's like a billion options

What the fuck? I played HL1 perfectly on a 2005 laptop with Linux drivers. Why are these machines so shit?

>1024x768

ew

4:3 just feels better