Looking to buy a new laptop for college

My first semester of college is starting next month and I need a new laptop. I'm studying computer science, and my budget is $1500.

What should I buy? I was thinking either macbook pro or Dell xps but idk. Pls help me Jow Forums

Attached: 598438-macbook-pro-2018.jpg (810x456, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/kyizp
streamable.com/gijs1
streamable.com/xbm3k
streamable.com/v2xr0
streamable.com/mslof
lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-700-series/Yoga-S730/p/88YGS701077
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

be honest you only want to play bibeogaymes
fucking idiot
otherwise thinkpad

Unironically a used ThinkPad. You're retarded if you spend more than 300$ on a laptop.

Won't a $300 laptop be shut though?

I bought a $400 HP laptop from bestbuy last year and it failed within 6 months.

If you plan to buy Apple, ONLY BUY USED OR REFURBISHED. Buying new from Apple is a huge fucking scam. In addition, avoid the newest models with the T2 security chip, as it prevents installation of any OS but macOS and Windows. Lastly, the Touch Bar is fucking retarded. I can tell you all of these things as a 2016 MacBook Pro owner. Now that we have that out of the way:
MacBooks are pretty excellent pieces of hardware once you get past the ridiculous price you pay for a brand new machine. You won't find a better trackpad (under macOS) anywhere else for literally any price. If you plan to develop proprietary/consumer software (not just for Apple stuff), then strongly consider the MacBook. People often say MacBooks are the finest Windows machines you can buy, and that's mostly true.
Otherwise, though, consider the XPS. You'll have a much better time setting up any alternative OS (BSD/Linux distros). You'll have expanded I/O and generally more options for your hardware, albeit not as pretty, integrated with the OS, and portable. You should strongly consider /this/ machine (or others like it) for developing software for Linux in particular or needing a lot of tools that simply aren't available on macOS or Windows -- however, I can't think of many things that macOS' terminal, combined with the homebrew package manager, can't handle that Linux distributions can.
>tl;dr: macbook for macos/windows, xps/similar machines if macos/windows CANNOT fit your needs

>laptop from bestbuy
fucking idiot

if buying new, Lenovo X280 or Dell XPS13 are pretty solid at that price point, idk about Apple

but I'd buy one used 1 or 2 generations older for half the price

>T. Basedboi
lmao

What would I need linux for?

Attached: 1_tKlhbEEg0fqVJ4tH8IAZRg.jpg (1600x2399, 373K)

To pretend you're an epic hack3r

I'd say I'm practically an extremist libertarian with some conservative social views. I also own a gun. I don't think that's "soi."

Get the macbook pro. Better battery life and doesnt run winshit. I love my 2017 256gb macbook pro.

You dont iterm2 is based. Brew is not based though but it works

Reminder to report commercial advertisement threads disguised as advice requests.

Not being gay.

USE A CLOTH BETWEEN KEYBOARD AND SCREEN

seriously, i beg you, listen to me: If you buy a macbook, mac sure to ALWAYS put a piece of cloth between your keys and the closed lid. you WILL get irreparable stains on your screen in a matter of months a guarrantee it.

That is all.

t. mbp 2015 owner

don't go for Apple, they're BUGGY AS FUUCK
Apple just can not into software, they seriously fucking can't.
streamable.com/kyizp
streamable.com/gijs1
streamable.com/xbm3k
streamable.com/v2xr0
streamable.com/mslof

Wouldnt cleaning your screen once a month acheive the same thing?

All computers have bugs. This isnt any worse than your typical winshit and lincucks installation.

Don't bother will Dell unless you get a Latitude or Precision series. Put a Linux distro on it too.

I just bought the xps 15 and I like it, it a bit heavier but I think its the ultimate compromise of a 15 incher/power and mobility. Really like the display and its my main multimedia consumption device so

Is it good for programming?

Attached: 1543328577194.jpg (2048x1537, 948K)

Programming for school or work? Mac is my favorite os for java development. My one at home only has 8gb of ram so i wouldnt use it as my work station. At work i use a 2015 macbook pro 2015 with an i7 and 16gb of ram, it is solid

Cursed picture

Any cheap laptop is good for programming.

Macs are nice because of the intuitiveness of macos, and the build quality.

Its mostly the os it runs and does it have enough ram. Windows is hell to program on

What about longevity though? Every PC I've ever bought lasted 6 months to 1 year max before becoming slow as shit and unusable

I expect my macbook pro 2017 to last 5 or more years. Much more worried about running out of ram because i have 8gb than the processor being too slow.

You're the stereotypical millennial programmer, congratulations.

When the poster was talking about stains on the screen, what they meant to say was the keys scratch up the screen.

No cleaning does not remove scratches. It does look like a stain.

same, but i mean ram has to come down eventually, this wasnt the normal pricing last year

Explain.

Attached: kodewithkarlie-1.png (928x593, 141K)

Word. I put an ugly ass keyboard protector on mine so it should only scratch if i someone get sand on it somehow

You seem to have no concept of how a computer works
>bwaaa my computer gets slow
>WAM is expwensive
Maybe you should go for a MacBook

Attached: 1509918802205.jpg (640x633, 191K)

>thinking computers just inevitably "get slow" after 6 months
>wants to major in CS

you're gonna have a bad time kid

huge laffs m8 but dont worry about me, cant get too much ram

thinkpad

How do computers get slow then? Why has every PC I've ever bought go to shit within months while my dads old macbook pro has been going strong for 7 years?

Attached: apple-imac-0130.0.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 107K)

I bet this isn't even bait

Attached: 1512910503378.jpg (258x245, 12K)

Infested by daemons

A used Thinkpad is the best choice.
Any questions you'd have are answered in the copypasta.
But considering you're this much of a faggot, just get a Macbook Pro and leave.

when working with the mac at my job there's a bug that prohibits me from working about every two days. On the windows machine at my job I had a problem ONCE and that was a broken GPU. IT replaced it, no problem ever since. It's not just the mac, also the iPhone I develop on. They are way less reliable than I'd expect even some experimental linux to be. Even the some of the stuff that works as intended is conflustering as fuck. Maximizing a window for example.

Mine runs like a top idk why you have problems. I cant develop on windows l, not that i would if it was an option, i need a proper command line. I was using ubuntu and it crashed and threw errors all the time. I think who ever set that box up screwed it up through. Use what works for you

i have a xps15. its a nice machine but i only bought it because my employer has a member discount. otherwise i would have gone with either a precision or an x1. my advice would be to purchase any laptop with a 250gb+ ssd and 16gb ram from walmart. remove them, disconnect the screen and then return the fucking thing and buy a used chinkpad.

>macshit
Never again.

Attached: 1528271244460.jpg (989x1005, 189K)

Here you go dawg. Not as autistic as a thinkpad. lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-700-series/Yoga-S730/p/88YGS701077

Alienware 18 good + 2bwm.

lenovo needs to put a adult sized trackpad already, fuck nostalgia and fuck the fanboys its too bloody small and
>physical buttons on trackpad
gtfo

fuck trackpads and fuck söyboyniggers
trackpoint a best