Learned about Terry today

i'm really sad for him, he was really a genius and he could've given a lot more than more famous IT people roaming and boasting around, I hope his family is alright and that he can rest in peace now.

i find it really hypocritical how tech industry is so obsessed with "diversity" and "inclusion", and they weren't able to help a guy so brilliant with his mental health problems. we should make his story widespread so that all these hypocrites look at themselves and are forced to do some self examination (or at least to put such matters to the public eye and make them realize that people with actual disabilities should be the one to take care of, especially if they're such geniuses that would be wasted otherwise)

Attached: terry-davis.jpg (450x450, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.mediamass.net/people/terry-crews/deathhoax.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oH41gGBVpkE
thenewstack.io/the-troubled-legacy-of-terry-davis-gods-lonely-programmer/
amazon.com/C-Programming-Modern-Approach-2nd/dp/0393979504/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1543365129&sr=1-1&keywords=C Programming: A Modern Approach
youtube.com/watch?v=mBgIBF9Y6PE
boards.4channel.org/g/thread/68684197#bottom
cs.colby.edu/maxwell/courses/tutorials/maketutor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it really is pretty amazing what he accomplished on his own despite his illness. makes ya wonder what he could've accomplished assuming he wasn't afflicted with mental issues

RIP truthfully an inspiration

>tfw basedboy Terry will never call me a retarded nigger faggot again

These feels

Terry was a white male. Diversity and inclusion have no place for white males. Even suggesting that a white male was anything more than average is a cardinal sin. Please delete this post immediately.

He wasn't a genius. Any CS undergrad will make a basic operating system in just one semester. It's only reasonable that in more than ten years of full time development he could add some colors, a C-like compiler and a basic 3d renderer.
He really wasn't above the average C programmer. He was only famous because of his schizophrenia. There are other single man OSes such as Visopsys, but they aren't as famous because their authors aren't outrageous schizos.

yeah or if he had some aid, both professional and personal, from a team instead of being ignored and treated like a fool. we're all "accept this, accept that" but when it's people who actually our help we turn our back huh?

look what you did
en.mediamass.net/people/terry-crews/deathhoax.html

f

youtube.com/watch?v=oH41gGBVpkE

Since we're talking about C, what book should i pick up to learn C? i've barely done any programming myself in any language. Kinda new to the whole aspect.

>He really wasn't above the average C programmer
>Any CS undergrad will make a basic operating system in just one semester
well that's not true. I'm in a graduate program and I think most people wouldn't be able to. And don't even let me get started on the C programmers who didn't go to college. He was at least a pretty decent C programmer (he built a compiler and a kernel) and he should've been hired by some company with some special contract for his mental disability. But no, it seems like these things don't work fine for those who really need them. I want to make this famous and drown SJWs with guilt and public bashing for denying a man in need help just because he said nigger and faggot (to them the usage of such words is not forgivable even if done by a man with mental issues, mkay).

One of the best articles written about Terry A. Davis

thenewstack.io/the-troubled-legacy-of-terry-davis-gods-lonely-programmer/

I bought a templeos shirt today.

K&R 2nd edition

k&R and the latest standard

The C programming language 2nd edition. It isn't "modern C" but it gives you solid foundations.

Thanks

amazon.com/C-Programming-Modern-Approach-2nd/dp/0393979504/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1543365129&sr=1-1&keywords=C Programming: A Modern Approach
K&R is hardly relevant anymore, this is the shit to learn modern C. It may not be on the latest standard but at least uses more modern ways of thinking about the program. K&R feels stuck in the 70s.

are there official shirts?

Attached: whenTheEagleHits.png (280x204, 52K)

I don't know. If you are worried about giving your hands to ((them)) you can always design your own on redbubble or something.

made me cry. at that point his mind was really gone, and yet it's the last testimony we have of his. may God welcome Terry into His arms.

Whats the deal with this guy?

I legit somehow stumbled on a video of him fapping on cam. A very weird feel as prior to this, all I saw were posts like the OP. I don't know what's real anymore

he was a brilliant programmer with mental issues, so he did a lot of stupid stuff. some here were really entertained by his weird behavior, some others legitimately pity him.

Are those with exercises included? I feel like K&R just explains everything but doesnt give you a chance to practise it and learn from it. i could be wrong.

Schizophrenic man who made his own biblical themed OS.

youtube.com/watch?v=mBgIBF9Y6PE

are there usable bits of templeos?

I don't know

>he should've been hired by some company with some special contract for his mental disability

All he had to do was take his medicine but as a schizoid he couldn't even follow the most basic orders.

Attached: costanza.jpg (600x600, 23K)

yup a lot of them actually

that's why you need to follow schizoids. also it's a hypocritical thing to just sedate them and let them vegetate, so we need to see what medicines they were

>t. has never taken mental health """medicine"""

(((They))) made him crazy after he accidentally ran over one of (((their))) own

Thank you, this book seems perfect for me

Attached: 1540020201710.gif (245x240, 516K)

I recommend GCC's C manual and glibc's documentation for basic info about C and C libraries.
Besides that, just learn:
-void poitners
-that all pointers are the same size (4 or 8 bytes depending on architecture)
-sequence points
-UB vs IB
-algorithms and data structures (in C, you will need them more than anywhere else)
-pointer arithmetic
-strict aliasing rules
-how to avoid stack overflows
Given it's age and low level nature, C is not really a language with easily defined semantics even in the standards, you kinda just learn it by osmosis after lots of segfaults and banging your head against the wall because of bugs and seemingly random compiler warnings. At least that's how I did it.

Sure, maybe I overstated my case and the average C programmer is a poojeet who doesn't know shit about nothing, but Terry wasn't a genius by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm tired of the media portraying him in that way.
He was just an experienced C programmer who went crazy and was fired from the company he used to work at, so he began to work on a hobby project.
It's just that there aren't many unemployable C programmers who retain enough of their skills to still write software.

He's also the reason TicketMaster exists

Meds for that kind of thing aren't for everyone, but don't claim they're useless or guaranteed harmful.

Schizophrenic you mongrel.

It's saddening to see schizos unmedicated these days, when sero exists, as well as crap like abilify and geodon. The cigarette gestapos actually makes it worse because the nicotine and MAOI's in cigarettes help regulate the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

son, are you cretinated? bruh...burh...ahahhahahahhahah lmao omfg man you're so fuckijgn stupid! theaverage graduate fails fizzbuzz and you imagine that he could write an OS from scratch?

bruh

you are seriously retarded

let me tell you this andtrust me plss plssss!

i have a BSc in Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence and I studied at a Golden Triangle university in the UK, that's a uni that's in top 50 in the world or better because I don'tw ann give away too much information

and let me tell you this

that are an idiot

and you will work your entire life as a webdev

you are cursed! you are an IDIOT! a cretin! you are a windo-licker!

please read what I said in:boards.4channel.org/g/thread/68684197#bottom

you pathetic swineman, fucking piggot

I wouldn't listen to them. K&R is on the same meme tier as Gentoo. It teaches you bad style with overly terse code suited more to an 80 columns terminal than a modern IDE.
Read this thread
I was the user helping out a guy who learned C with the K&R book and his code style was so bad he couldn't even remember what his own code did.

wtf i hate terry now

Actually he took his meds while he was living at his parent's house, that shit didn't help him out much. He felt "castrated" (maybe his dick didn't work or something, I don't know) so he stopped taking them, and he still ranted about Diana and niggers while on it.

>sin
>implying white people didn't make Christianity

We miss you, Terry.

Unlike the average Jow Forums autist, I don't have too many problems working as a web dev except for the s󠀀oyboys, shit might be healthier for you in the long term than being deep in C or C++ land.
And it's a lie that the average graduate fails at fizzbuzz. That probably was a viral marketing campaign for a boot camp or something, the average college graduate outside of India or third class Chinese universities knows his shit.
Do you really expect people who pass Calc 3 to fail at fucking fizz buzz? Not sure if I'm getting memed here or what

>K&R is on the same meme tier as Gentoo.
>I should troll everyone

Thanks for the tip, i'm currently trying to find a good compiler to start my journey in C. ( i'm on windows, hope that isnt that bad)

what's so difficult about calc 3 you moron? I studied artificial intelligence at a golden triangle uni, I piss on your toiletpaper degree

calc 3? nigga, any moron can memorize formulas
it's all about real analysis
"math" in computer science is just 2nd hand, regurgitated, flat, emotionless, censored math, it's babby math, it's "here's the integral formula bruh oh yaah shiny you like it, you moron? now solve these problems!" whereas in Mathematics you have to really understand that shit

Computer Science is mainly just applied logic, and it gets a bit more LA/statistics-y when you move towards AI but it's the same shit, any monkey can learn AI, any idiot can google "what does integration do" or "what's a vector gradient" or "what's an eigenvector" and ace AI, LA, Calc3

lmao man in europe we study calc1,2 and 3 in high school bruh hahahahahahhahahha oh my fucking god you're so idiotic

yes

you will die a webdev

and no

the universal set minus {webdev} is NOT just {C, C++}, you fucking moron, just fuck off and don't reply!

K&R does include a number of exercises, but they're primitive. C has a large system of includes and linking, styles and project architecturing, etc, that K&R doesn't do, BUT K&R is very basic. I went up to around chapter 5-6 in K&R doing many of the exercises, but then had enough to get through our work with some help from other guys for our specific style and architecture.

>void pointers
No thank you.

>4 or 8 bytes
Why not say 32 or 64-bit? In reality, it all depends on the system, though I'm sure these days you'd have to go to a museum or open-source of some 16-bit architecture to find less than 32.

Sequence points are interesting. They weren't covered strictly in the books I read nor were relevant at my work, but conceptually they're useful.

Undefined behavior is really good to know. It's those nitpicky Autism details that aren't about someone picking a retarded style over something good, but actual difficulty from historic reasons or because of how you make trade-offs in programming.

>pointer arithmetic
Blegh, sizeof (thing)/NUMBER_OF_ELEMENTS or advancing/preceding in loops nothing particularly complicated.

>stack overflows
Avoid expansive recursion at all costs. Don't make arrays thousands of units (I overflowed an audio generator because I didn't allocate on heap - 44.1khz * 16-bit * 300 seconds).

C is very clear in the way it's processed, but I imagine it gets mangled and abused by bad programmers. Or if someone's a brainlet. It's far easier to have logical errors in C than actual errors. Prototype often, save a separate working copy/use even basic revision control.

Attached: apply.png (2245x1204, 97K)

take your meds

>the guy couldn't figure out how to move a line of characters left after a backspace
He has more serious issues.

If you're focusing on the language, avoid learning the tools at first. Code::Blocks is a pretty good IDE, there's cs.colby.edu/maxwell/courses/tutorials/maketutor/ if you really want to mess around with a makefile.

>All he had to do was take his medicine but as a schizoid he couldn't even follow the most basic orders.

That's because shitposters from a certain basket-weaving forum convinced him not to

Thanks

Attached: 1539018993240.jpg (400x400, 16K)

The Linux kernel take a lot of their coding style from K&R, you're full of shit

y mad tho?

Attached: 1234986473264.jpg (538x288, 34K)

it also is more beginner friendly than K&R

I'd say, download MinGW and use gcc. I tgives you the GNU/Linux compiler under Windows. To compile a file it's just:
`gcc -o output source.c`

or, on Windows 10 just use gcc from the Windows subsystem for Linux which is even better integrated and it's an actual Linux.

it was made in 1991 and now has a CoC, don't think it's the best example right now.

let's not forget the audience a certain faggot youtuber brought in

pelles

imagine being this much of a sperg autist

Attached: 1329547304007.png (155x202, 63K)

Followed him and watched his videos and livestreams since 2011. He felt like a good friend.
Makes death more inviting, personally.

Rather quickly I found I wanted to split files into multiple header/source files. Hand stuff gets annoying fast.

I forgot to mention, if you are going a "hand compile" route, Notepad++ is a good editor, with up to two panes, and tabbed documents. I haven't used too many editors but not many have more than two panes. Worse, some don't detect file changes! Really annoying if you want to see the output from your program in a .txt file that gets updated each time you run it.

scite

It's also one of if not THE open source project with the highest number of contributions right now. You can make any style work when 90% of features are pretty much freezed or at least evolving slowly with no pressure from management to cram more and more stuff into it. Linus being a benevolent dictator over the code really helps things as opposed to a corporate structure when technologically illiterate retards at management call the shots. That said, modern Linux code would look way out of place in the 80s.

>Don't make arrays thousands of units
Hah, yeah. It's annoying when occasionally I post code on here and noobs criticize me for the few extra nanoseconds a malloc takes as opposed to allocating on the stack.
t󠀀bh I don't even use fixed size arrays, it's very rare that an array doesn't actually scale dynamically according to the inputs. I use malloc for everything
Random trivia: on embedded development for aircraft, calling malloc after the plane has taken off is not allowed so the computer doesn't run out of memory

>Random trivia: on embedded development for aircraft, calling malloc after the plane has taken off is not allowed so the computer doesn't run out of memory
just like rust

How so? (I don't know anything about Rust)

this Schizoid is what your average Jow Forums user is. Terry had severe psychosis from schizophrenia.

I had to make a header system for faxes. We had no base for it, so I had to make all the font resources, fonts, change the error correction and transcompression path (editing the current line invalidates the error correction and our mechanism was very strictly organized), lots of things.

To make a bitmap header you have two choices, bake your font header from a string, or write the line letter-by-letter. I chose the former because it was conceptually easier than directly introducing all the functionality in the decoder/encoder mechanism. Problem: the data for the font and bitmap couldn't be dynamically allocated, because we worked on hard real-time systems sometimes. Other times we just wanted a provable footprint, so minimizing dynamic calls was preferable.

I had to write a perl script which converted binary/hex letters from a data file into a C source file, store the letters by pointer in a const array (I permitted letters being variable width and maybe height), the bitmap had to be a static buffer that got filled in during reception of a page (receive a page handshake, buffer the bitmap, write it as the page comes in and gets recoded out)

The kicker: faxes are black/white, so their data is binary, not byte oriented. Different pages have different resolutions, so technically a page could be 200x200 vs 200x100 resolution, or 204x196 for legacy printer-oriented stuff. On top of all of it, they wanted a white padded border, so I had to add that into the bitmap logic. AND! AAAAND! part of the header would include page count, so every page gets the numbering updated. I added code into the header so the numbers could be padded at max-width size, or it could expand to fit 1->10 and move anything on the right over.

Attached: tables.png (2560x1320, 286K)

what really amazes about all these programming companies is the fact that they constantly talk about needing skillful programmers but when someone is schize, suddenly he gets ignored despite being exactly the kind of person who had the required experience and knowledge

the entire system is usable and there's a fork with networking.

well if you pretend to be smart, but you are on Jow Forums then guess what is the intersection of the universal set with (You). Brotip: it is {dumb}. Also having a degree in the uk doesn't mean anything (try to go to a top murican uni for masters). You are just trying to make your self feel better by shitting others because you know inside that you are shit.