If I put, say, a 1000W PSU in a PC that will only be drawing about 250 watts from the wall...

If I put, say, a 1000W PSU in a PC that will only be drawing about 250 watts from the wall, will the PSU eventually kill my PC?

Some people tell me that it will and others say that it'll simply cost more and won't harm your PC. What's the truth?

Attached: seasonic.jpg (800x800, 75K)

You'll be running the PSU way outside its optimal efficiency range, but it killing your PC is bullshit.

No but your psu will be resisting a lot of electricity and thus you will be spending a lot of money on electricity.

What if I live in the ghetto and don't pay for electricity?

Then it's the perfect psu/middle finger to your land lords for you

It don't mater. It could be 3000w. The computer's parts would only suck what it/they needed to run. The only way a psu could kill a computer or its parts is if you get some cheap ass one that costs like $20. (The way shit keeps ramping up, a 3000w psu will be here before we know it) (Anyone remember when 300w was standard?, now 700 + is pretty common)

No lmao that's not how it works, that is a 1000W maximum. Power supplies are more efficient near 80% of their max. Look for yourself on the datasheet for your PSU

get the prime ultra titanium

Stupid question.
You could never afford that Seasonic.

Honestly the reason I'm eyeballing a high-wattage PSU is future-proofing. I just don't want it to kill my PC. If it's going to kill my PC I'll go with a 650W.

Also does efficiency really matter if it's 80+ Titanium?

But I can. I just can't decide if I should go with 650 or 1000.

>does efficiency really matter if it's 80+ Titanium
nope

I bought a 500 watt Seasonic PSU 12 years ago with the same thinking... I'm still good.

There is literally no reason not to do it (besides that it is arguably kind of a waste of money) since you won't be paying the electricity bill. There is no chance it will harm your computer. Literally none.

Buy it you PSU will degrade get more watts.

Future-proofing is stupid. How many FX-9000 R9 Fury giga nigga rigs are out there trucking today?

lol brainlet.
your psu takes what it needs, not forcing 1000W down your throat.
psu peak efficiency is at 40-50% load.
so get a 500W to 600w psu.

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 7K)

Going by that logic, wouldn't the 650W also kill your PC? Buying an overpowered PSU won't do any harm, especially not the killing of your computer kind of harm. There is are only two downsides to an overpowered PSU: extra cost and a tiny decrease in overall efficiency (probably, the higher wattage one could be much better even if it's coming from the same family) since you're supposed buy a PSU whose declared max wattage approximately twice as much as your average power draw during heavy use like gaming or whatever. PSUs reach peak efficiency at ~50% load. You should research and find an approximation of your components power draw and buy a PSU based on that. I did the same mistake and bought a 1000W PSU thinking I'll be running crossfire eventually, and I never did. Make sure not to skimp on the PSU, check reviews and get a quality one with all the fancy safety features.

>future proofing

that's fucking retarded wattage requirements go down with time, not up

An RTX 2080 ti takes up at least 200 watts per card.

>not using the more fuel efficient 2050 ti

you should go with something higher than 650 because if it's a halfway decent psu it'll be the longest lasting component in your whole pc.

so does the rx580, but i'm only drawing 400w from my whole system with it.

>Honestly the reason I'm eyeballing a high-wattage PSU is future-proofing
In the future, your whole system won't exceed 100w even with a high end cpu/gpu that are both overclocked. only a complete retard would get a 1000w psu in 2018

How about 850W then?

You don't future proof by getting more watts. It's quite the opposite. The more the time passes, the more efficient parts become.

I got a 1000w evga, other than them being assholes and have specialty wires for the psu (had to ask them specifically to give another vga wire for 1070ti) it has been a godsend for me. Especially since the new motherboard (asus prime x470) constantly has that gay pride parade lights going on (yes I know how to shut it off, but still wearing out the new)

I bought a Corsair TX650 over 10 years ago, still runs fine to this day. Tho I am getting slightly worried about it dying soon.

bullshit

You only spend money for literally nothing

If you consistently drawing 250W then efficiency is not a problem with that PSU, despite what some less educated anons might be saying. Efficiency, for non-garbage PSUs, really becomes a problem when you're drawing below ~100W. Especially if you're living in a sub-200V third world country. At that point efficiency decrease at an exponential rate. Much more so than when putting a 80%+ load on it. Lower specced PSUs generally handle low currents more efficiently (as in, the drastic drop in efficiency comes at slightly lower currents), which is why you shouldn't go complete overkill, especially if you'll never even get close to putting a ~75% load on the thing. That being said, that amount of current isn't much of a problem and is unlikely to cost you any significant amount of money.

PSU requirements are retarded. They recommend 450W as the bare minimum for a basic i5 + 1050 ti system when that, at full load, even if have four HDDs, an odd, a printer and other shit won't pull more than 200W or so.

It's horse shit.

Yes it will turn into a arch welder
I had two 1kw psus shit out on me despite them only be run around 500 watt's Max but they where around 5 years old at the time.
It's overkill get a 700watt unit

i had a vx450 and it only shit the bed this year too, 10+ years and 3 systems it has been in

Because they know half their customers will use chinkshit PSUs user.

>future-proofing
what makes you think that future computers will need more power when every new process is more power efficient than the other?

Did it take any other parts with it or did a replacement PSU sort everything out?

>when every new process is more power efficient than the other
What new process?

Attached: 1473928948368.png (633x900, 162K)

That's basically how a fanless PSU works.

i think he's talking about transistor width

I've used a 700W PSU with an i3-6100 without a graphics card temporally. No issues there.

That's not how it works. I have a 1000 watt psu and my pc only draws 5-650 watts at the wall. And that makes sense after doing rough power calculations on a psu calculator. But then again I have a gold certified psu.

Attached: 1505004053032.png (1233x957, 173K)

No
No
>I'm still good.
No, newer PSUs are more efficient