M.2 Meme

>Buy an M.2
>Format it and get it recognized in Windows after having to change some BIOS settings so the MOBO will even recognize it
>Acronis won't clone to it, keeps saying have to restart your PC
>Windows 10 won't install to it, says it can't find or create a new partition
>basically can't put my OS on this turd
>should have just stuck with a normal SSD or even 7200rpm disk

Why does anyone fall for the M.2 meme, Jow Forumsuys? They're a pain in the ass.

Attached: 327511.jpg (1200x900, 89K)

Works on my machine

you formatted it wrong

your motherboard is too old

No I didn't. Anyway, I tried 2 cloning programs and they both said that errors were found on the drive. Pic related.

It's a brand new MSI B450

Attached: WD M2 Error.png (811x599, 18K)

>MSI B450
should have bought an Intel

Just becasue you are too stupid to install an OS doesn't mean the rest of us are.
Never had a single issue installing on my 950 and 960 pro

yeah nah shlomo

>buy M.2
>too retarded to even get an NVMe module
Yes. You should have probably stuck with a regular SSD.

m.2 is shit, should have gotten NVMe

I got a 250GB M.2 Dude, it took me a few days. Mostly because I gave up then tried again. My problem was it causes a SATA III bandwidth problem. I had to boot with JUST the M.2 & HDD. I gave the old SSD to my friend.

Attached: works-on-my-machine-starburst_2.png (497x480, 236K)

>Just becasue you are too stupid to install an OS doesn't mean the rest of us are.
>Never had a single issue installing on my 950 and 960 pro
>Just because my drive worked without any issues means that no one ever has issues

Nigger, installing windows 10 isn't exactly rocket science. If you can enter BIOS and boot from a stick, you can install windows. Doesn't require a Jow Forumsenius.

It's not the m2, it's your motherboard's firmware needing to be updated.

Had a similar problem.

Dont you mean Sata?

>Buy an M.2
>It's SATA
lmaoing at ur life

It won't let me install Windows on it because it's "of the GPT partition style." What the fuck does that mean, the drive that Windows is on NOW is GPT partitioned.

>msi
Found the issue

Installed one in my laptop with literally zero issues, it was just like another hard drive.

You might be booting the windows setup in legacy mode.

>retard fucks up
>blames software or hardware
Like clockwork.

because youve booted into legacy bios mode, not uefi

I had to enable UEFI only, as well as unplug every other drive to even get it to begin installing windows. Right now its stuck on the windows screen with that never ending circle... fml

(you)

several other people online have suggested this as well, why would that have an effect? Just curious.

Legacy BIOS doesn't support GPT AFAIK.

it actually just bought that exact drive. with the power of line-x, i just used gparted to copy and paste my disk's image onto the m2 and regenerated my bootloader and it just worked.

OP, this: Some motherboards just get shipped with shit BIOSes. I've personally never had a problem with M.2 drives. I actually fucking love them, they're fantastic
>no power wire
>no sata cable
>no extra box to shove somewhere in your case
>no spinning drive
>(if you go with NVMe) retardedly fast read/write speeds

M.2 drives are honestly probably my single favorite development in PCs in the last 8 years, other than SSDs in general becoming reasonably priced.

Attached: 1510371923499.jpg (388x443, 151K)

Also wait wait, hold on.

You're trying to clone your drive instead of just reinstalling windows? Or am I misreading that?

>Buy an M.2 NVME
>put it in my motherboard
>"oh cool Samsung magician cloned my whole boot disk onto my new super fast drive"
>disconnect old drive
>boot into new drive
>zero issues since day one
>whole process was 45 minutes, including opening up the computer, putting it back together, and cloning the boot disk

and they told me gigabyte mobos were shit!

I got a 1TB Samsung NVMe M.2 drive to replace my 256gb Sata SSD.

My mobo has an M.2 slot that supports NVMe, but only 2x pci-e 2.0 lanes, so I got a $13 PCI-e 3.0 adapter.

I installed it, installed the driver on windows, cloned with the free samsung tool, rebooted and changed the boot device and unplugged the sata SSD.

0 issues, whole process took 15 minutes.

>motherboard
>drive
>os
>speeling eror
>brand
>existance
found your problem

>uses windows
>is too retarded to install hardware
LIKE CLOCKWORK

No (you) needed, friend. You're just too dumb to live. No wonder you're failing to install a piece of hardware.

I initially wanted to clone, but abandoned it after 2 programs reported errors. I was eventually able to freshly install W10 after some finagling.

>have windows on ssd, ahci mode (fuck uefi and its 1000 partitions)
>slap into mobo
>clone ssd to m.2 with casper 8.0/ease us todo backup works to
IT JUST WORKS
git gud op

I hear you my nigger, but I did exactly your process with EaseUs Todo and still had issues. Sometimes a nigger runs into issues even if he complies with all applicable laws.

>t. Paid Samsung shills

got a 960 evo working on my MSI Z97

what's the problem?

Attached: 1543153980751.jpg (1024x922, 77K)

You bought a really shitty motherboard with really terrible firmware. Don't blame Windows for that.

why's it shitty?

I just got a M2, put in the mobo, booted from usb, installed linux, and it just works. Posting from said installation right now

because connecting an M.2 sata/nvme SSD should just werk.
I have literally never had problems with M.2
Probably because I don't buy garbage.

Maybe just you.
I installed M2 SSD on my $500 Acer i5 7200u + 940MX. Cloned the OEM Windows and it just werks.

>plugging it should just werk
Not necessarily, you should have to allocate PCIE lanes to a NVME drive first before you could use it properly.
It might be just because of that why OP can't get his drive to work like it should

works great on my MSI Z370-A PRO

so much incompetence

Try change settings on the bios
If you fail try install Linux just to check if the m2 is OK

pcie lanes are already allocated in the firmware.
chinks aren't going to go the extra mile to make firmware with reassignable lanes even after we reach PCIe 4.0
you'll have to use a chaining bootloader like they do for the eGPUs to do that

that was the first thing I did, the mobo doesn't even recognize the M.2 until you go in and configure this.

I have linux and nearly did this, but I was able to get Win 10 on it eventually. It was a huge pain in the ass though, and I am now convinced that Windows could benefit from a more useful Disk Utility and recovery options.

I had to manually go in and change it to 4x4x4x4

> Acronis won't clone to it, keeps saying have to restart your PC
You need to use a True Image, which features an advanced restore to new drives, can change MBR to GPT, add drivers required to use M.2, etc, etc.

> you'll have to use a chaining bootloader like they do for the eGPUs to do that
I'm sorry, but do you have a link? I'd like to have a look on these shenanigans.

imagine being this retarded