Outlives your SDD

>outlives your SDD

Nothing personal. Seriously, other than size, there's no other benefit to buying an SSD over a 10k RPM HDD. I have HDDs in my home that are 20 years old that still work to this day. Let's see your SSD do that.

Attached: hard disk drive.jpg (1521x1528, 287K)

virgin ssd vs chad hdd

Load speed is one, can't beat the wondrous life of an m.2

Of course it will outlive my SSD, it needs all that extra time to actually read a file.

I've noticed that people who don't own SSDs never own a good computer either. I wonder what the correlation is there...

>I wonder what the correlation is there...

Visiting a technology board occupied by luddites?

Fucking rekt.

Im still a big fan of the WD10EZEX because that thing is big cheap and relatively fast.

I had a laptop with hdd and it fucking died after few months of carrying it to college every day, no thanks

>I have HDDs in my home that are 20 years old
I don't doubt that but those things are obsolete. They have like what... 4 GB capacity and 10 MB read/write?

But they still work.

So? Many Pentium 4 machines "still work", doesn't mean you would want to use one.

I would. So would many other people.

I have an SSD turning 10 prettty soon. I don't know why you'd want to keep a drive longer than that.

*grinding noises*

>failure detection alert system*

Moore's law friendo. 500 GB HDDs from 2005 still can be useful, same goes for traditional HDDs up to 6 TB in the HAMR era.
SSD have hit the wall with QLC, we can expect maybe 4x of what we have with TLC and nobody guarantees the info won't rot on them. Imagine, your cell has 1111 bits, then charge in it changes just by 1/32 and you have 1110. The same will happen in every cell.

60GB and PATA 133 speeds kek

SSD shills are Apple tier trash.

>(((bit rot)))
How do I protect my anime? Is switching to ZFS enough?

Attached: 1525891223116.jpg (646x595, 42K)

No you don't.

Theoretically, controller should handle that. I don't know to what extent, though.
> >(((bit rot)))
It's like you don't believe me. Remember how EVO 840 were losing their data just after a month, and that was TLC with 1/8 charge level.

>tfw just bought a 2 to samsung 860 ssd
ffffuuuuuuccccccckkkkk
Am I fucked guise?

ssd = soft squishy disk
hdd = hard damn disk

sure

only if you keep important data on an SSD (terrible idea)

but it's acutally well known that floating gates loose charge after (((perticular))) amount of time

>Jow Forums
>actually knowing anything about technology
pick one and only fucking one

I have like 40k hours on time on my wd black back from 2011

HDDs don't last that long anymore. HDD manufacturers have been cutting corners and PMR (Perpendicular recording) is simply not as reliable as the much older longitudinal recording. Shingled recording is even less reliable and disaster recovery is practically impossible on it.

I have yet to see any PMR HDDs lasting longer than 5 years worth of operational time. They usually start to show signs of failure on their third to fourth operational year.

I bought a shitty HP in 2011 and the HD is still going, no signs of it dying whatsoever.

That's only if they are powered off for a long period of time.

That's why flash media isn't used for archival stuff.

Operational time kiddo. It probably spend most of its time being off.

Around 200,000 hours is usually when modern HDDs start to show noticeable signs of imminent failure (header being aggressive at random seeking, HDD is more sluggish at access speeds and mechanical noises are more audible)

Has anyone here actually seen an SSD fail? I deal with failing hard drives all the time, but I've never seen an SSD fail.

>kid

You're the one defending SSDs. lol

Less pesos for computer

>drop a ssd on the ground from a 14 story apartment
>damaged case, nothing else. works perfectly
>tap a hdd on its side gently
>data destroyed, headers irrecoverably damages disk

I have a 3 TB WD Black HDD, but it's so fucking loud that I've simply taken it out of commission in favor of a 512 GB Samsung SSD.

Just this week my 5 years old SSD died, meanwhile I have 2 hdds with 10+ years still working, tell me abot the M.2, are they better or they will be broken in 3 years or less?

Attached: 1500227565438.jpg (859x575, 82K)

OS and critical programs on Samsung 850 Pro 256GB.
Non critical programs and current data on 1TB Crucial MX500.
Archive and backup on HGST backed up HGST NAS drives.
This is the only valid solution.

Stop being a poorfag

back up to tape

I lost a WD Caviar Black on warranty. Not even 4 years. Meanwhile my SSD from back then is still rocking.

Unironically the best backup media, and getting better by the time.

it really is, and honestly if you are the kind of person that visits this board and loves using a computer you need a tape drive. It will give you a instant peace of mind, and if a drive fails you will be more upset about having to RMA than anything else. It's fucking worth it.

>have 4 seagate hdds over the years
>all of them die
what did i do to deserve this?

My ssd has been working years for me. So nah

>goes safely into read-only mode

It sure is nice. I still have a WD Black 500gb with almost 9 years of power on hours.

WD Black is top tier, I got an SSD because it was on sale just for OS + software, any other shit goes to the HDD.

>20 years old HDD
So you are still using HDD's with what? 8 - 15 Gb?

You are the same type of neckbeard that praises old shitpad with incel inside™. Full of "speed holes" and preaching about privacy.
Did your mommy stopped giving you pocket money so you can't afford newer, bigger and faster SSD few years down the line?

Unlike you. Get a fucking job faggot

Keep using your "retro" typewriter you fucking hipster

You = young underdeveloped ugaboga

Get a job nigger and you can use new technology. Why are you on technology board faggot?

enjoy your loading times you fucking neet lmao

>200,000 hours
I am a fucking dumbass but if my calculations are correct a modern HDD should start being iffy at 22.8 years of use?

That's kinda gud desu.

I present you my 200GB PATA WD, which chugs away as misc storage

Attached: u mad bro.jpg (584x677, 86K)

NO ONE on this board has a tape drive.
It's a meme

neither of those are realistic scenarios

>you=yuu

Attached: 1522557924021.jpg (1801x1339, 801K)

What if all my data is important

I sell my used HDDs on ebay as like new when they're showing signs of old age and setting off some SMART flags
Sure the drive probably won't die for another 5 or so years but I don't trust them the moment a flag gets set

HDD's are still good for shit you care about not getting fucked up, especially in RAID
SSD's are good for things you need fast but can be easily replaced

The fucking noise.
And it's still a snail in comparison even to shit Kingston SSDs.

>burn ssd
>its fucked
>burn hard drive
>most of the drive is fucked but the platters could be fine depending on how hot it got
>drive is also mostly aluminum and will succ heat

That's because you have no taste or sense. Prescott was a spaceheater, you can tell where in the room it is with your eyes closed. Get an Athlon64!

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ *click* *click* *crack*
and you couldn't even recover the data when it fucks up
my ssd's working fine after 10 years 2bh

Redundancy. RAID6 backed up / instantly mirrored with history to RAID6, or such.

So you have a 32gb drive that cost $700 you're still using?

And it's PATA

>Around 200,000 hours is usually when modern HDDs start to show noticeable signs of imminent failure
So 22.8 years of 24/7 usage.
Sounds legit

They're cheap media just slow

I think a nas is just plain better.

Long-term backup you want to put on HDD, but if you are using HDD on your PC for OS etc in 2018 you are just being retarded.

>6.4 second spin up time.
:concern.jpg:
Though it's probably not just counting spin-up time, but also controller init and that seek all HDDs seem to do at startup. Such is SMART - the numbers can mean anything.

Got any good tape drive to recommend?

I have been fine with far lesser HDDs.

2TB Samsung 5400RPM Sata HDD (2.5").
8TB Seagate Archive 5900RM Sata HDD(3.5").

Suspects either would crap out on me being Seagate (both, Samsung HDDs are actually owned by Seagate, etc) but have been good to me for many years.

Had bad luck with WD HDDs (past and recent cases, unusual given the should be better than Seagate, etc).

Samsung SSDs (for me ) have been reliable but I will still trust an HDD with my data (and have different drives for back ups, etc) than an SSD.

ive had one since 2011 thats survived a shit load of windows issues that still works perfectly to this day

>tfw every hdd i have starts clicking after 2 or so years and dies shortly after
This is why i finally bought an ssd today

Hdd's fail much more often than ssd

You must have very selective noticing faganon.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can shill for QLC, seriously.

>twice the price
>half the wear rate

are SSD shills being trained next to Applel shills?

Yes I have old spinners that I use for storage, I load my os from a small ssd so my computer is nice and snappy. What's the problem?

Poor people can't afford SSDs, poor people also can't afford to own a good computer.

Lets say for example your 10K RPM HDD is running 24/7 @ 100 MBps.

In 20 years, it would have written 63 Petabytes. That's very good number of writes. But that's a hypothetical scenario. In real world, HDD normally lasts ~3-4 years before 30% of the HDD are dead in enterprise machines. If that's 100 MBps x 3 years, that's still ~9 Petabytes. That's a fairly decent torture test for HDD.

For SSD, the gen before that reaches ~ 9 PB of writes torture test for the Samsung 850 Pro SSD. That's 7 months straight of 500 MBps constant running. The gen before that, the SSD torture test resulted in 1 PB of writes.

For current generation SSD, the torture test would probably result in something similar or better. In which case, the SSD would still be much better for your needs given the similar amount of life.

Lets say none of that matters. You simply use your HDD/SSD at the rate of 200 GB per day. With SSD, your access would be fast and with low latency. How long would a SSD/HDD last with 200 GB usage daily with the 9 PB limit? 123 Years.

I don't understand the point of OP.
SSDs aren't meant for archival. They literally leak electrons. They are for fast system/cache/temp/program drives.
SSDs will live a few years with heavy use and that's more than enough, my drives from 2013 are still working fine. I make backups anyways, even before I used an SSD.

Nowadays they are so cheap, if you take a realistic minimum of 5 years, a €80 480GB SSD is not that expensive.
I just can't give OP a (You) or this thread a bump, just my post.

Attached: 1527289414856.png (376x366, 158K)

>using spinning rust in a laptop
>not taking backups
Why are tech illiterates in a tech forum?

>SSDs will live a few years with heavy use
only with very heavy use, if you fill an ssd to 1/4 full and then barely write anything to it it will last longer, probably long enough to encounter bit rot or electrical failure

>t. iToddler phone owner

Attached: english.png (371x289, 160K)

1/10 they're sending amateurs tonight lol

nas serves a different purpose than a tape drive.

Unless you have several grand to drop it's pointless to discuss recommendations. Keep an eye on craigslist and ebay, and research the drives as they become available.

I've had 3-4 3.5in HDDs die on me but I have 10 year old 2.5in HDDs that are fine. Is there something to this?

Laptops made to last shock and heat.

>Let's see your SSD do that.
Matrox hard drives from early 2000s would like to have a word...

5k RPM is enough.

Use several Virtual Machines and your SSD will die.

I use a nas for a backup storage device - serves the same purpose to me

SSDs are still good for speed and at the capacity they can reach even with TLC, not QLC, they will remain very useful for a long time still. They're not as good for bulk storage, sure, but they're much better than HDDs for other things.

>buying shitty ssds
I have yet to have an ssd fail.

>Remember how EVO 840 were losing their data just after a month
Got a link?

My ssd is faster.

This, I see alot of people with old ass 840 PRO SSDs still working fine to this day, you buy the higher end SSDs, they will last a long time and perform better in general even though thery cost most

People need to not fall for that 127 dollar 1TB SSD, and get the 286 dollar 860 PRO.