>i7-9700k/8700k/8700 - If you have a $2000+ budget
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>Always choose at least a 2 stick kit
>8GB - Bare minimum/Light desktop use.
>16GB - Standard amount
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal. Check "more" for true latency formula

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards; cheap models usually low yield processor. Aim for factory OC versions for best performance
>use your due diligence with cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others w/ small heatsinks and low quality fans. They may be cheap, but won't get high boost clocks like better models
1080p
>RX 570/580/1060 6GB - standard 1080p 60fps+ options
1080p@144hz
>Vega 56/1070ti best value, Free/G-sync monitor highly recommended
1440p@60-75hz
>Vega/1070ti/1080/2070
1440p@100+hz
>1080ti/2080
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Or 2080Ti, but awful value
OpenCL use
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models
>Always consider FreeSync w/ AMD cards
>START YOUR BUILD WITH A MONITOR FIRST, then make a build to drive it appropriately

More
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Prev

Attached: DvD-Quake-main-1.jpg (745x750, 467K)

Other urls found in this thread:

awd-it.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-580-red-dragon-v2-8gb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card.html?wgu=13527_206719_15434123639073_71f968927c&wgexpiry=1551188363&source=webgains&siteid=206719
youtu.be/AUyF--fJaaM?t=69
youtu.be/AUyF--fJaaM?t=1442
ballicom.co.uk/asus-dual-rx580-4g.p1419513.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/H7LLKB
pcpartpicker.com/list/nRdPLJ
humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
overclockers.co.uk/msi-optix-g24c-24-1920x1080-va-freesync-144hz-1ms-curved-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-001-ms.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 2700xpower1.png (712x1441, 158K)

Attached: in case of intel shills 2.png (3200x3416, 3.1M)

n-n-n-nice s-s-s-stutters intel

Attached: 1539877158337.jpg (711x457, 41K)

v-v-v-v-very n-n-n-nice

Attached: 1539877097136.jpg (711x457, 46K)

What videocard should i buy to play pillars of eternity 2 in 4k on Linux? I have ancient hd7950 and it lags as hell. Preferably AMD.

j-j-j-just b-b-b-buy it goy

Attached: 1539877035020.jpg (711x457, 38K)

Where can I buy the cheapest rx 580 (UK)

Attached: 1540233549965.jpg (700x597, 50K)

lol intel is fucking housefire garbage, only braindead shitters would support these abortions

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PLzAvNzY1NTA0L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDA2LnBuZw==.png (712x1441, 165K)

Does someone have a guide on the differents ports of motherboards and what cables go to them ? Shits confusing for a newfag to pc building. I have like 10 cables exiting my psu and no idea where to connect them

awd-it.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-580-red-dragon-v2-8gb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card.html?wgu=13527_206719_15434123639073_71f968927c&wgexpiry=1551188363&source=webgains&siteid=206719

Where's the manual for your motherboard?

Vega 64 might do it on max settings. 56 can probably do it on lower settings.

Are there any low temperature limits on hard drives? I just noticed mine is at 20C right now and that just makes me wonder how low it can go.

In my fucking hands but other than having a drawing indicating the names of some of the ports it isn't really helpfull.

Should I get a new 570 for £110? I want to upgrade my 1050ti

usually, you've got the 24pin, and the 4/8 pin CPU plug, then the PCIe connectors to the GPU. Then it's a case of plugging in your storage and fans and the like.

So what about the 8gb xfx radeon rx580 gts? I can shoot one for 189 euro, but some reviews report black screens and coil whine ..

youtu.be/AUyF--fJaaM?t=69
Watch it.
>ASus crosshair 7 hero
>4.2 overclock using aggressively turned G.skill sniper X 3400Mhz with tightened sub-timings
>and the cooler has been upgrade to the Corsair H115i Pro

THAT is what was used to get the performance benchmarks you keep posting each time without context. Not only are yo downplaying the components used, but also their price.

Again if all of this escaped you, here is the man who made the benchmark, saying it CLEAR as cryztal

youtu.be/AUyF--fJaaM?t=1442
>Given that the intel CPU was over all faster this makes it better value choice for gamers.
>At the very least the OC Ryzen build will require an upgraded cooler, but for the results shown here you will need a high quality motherboard and some premium Samsung B-die.

Attached: In case of AMD shill 2.jpg (2620x3416, 1.74M)

Pretty expensive to play game with graphics from 2013 even in 4k :/

Not much of an upgrade to be honest.
Stop replying to trolls, and stop being a knuckle dragging fuckwit.

General Reposti!

Attached: AnOldOne.gif (444x250, 309K)

watch a tut

How demanding do you think 4K is? Even for older games, your performance can fucking tank even with newer hardware.
DESU, I'm kind of guessing here based on a video where a guy with a 1080 was getting about 70FPS on ultra at 4K in that game. Add the DX to OpenGL conversion penalty and that should be 60-ish FPS with the Vega cards depending on the settings. You might be able to get 60FPS at 4K with a 580 at really low settings, but you'd probably have a better experience by just lowering the resolution to 1440p or 1080p.

Absolutely gorgeous build

in terms of panels TN is bottom tier, right?
So in theory even my ~4 year old samsung LED monitor has a beter quality panel in terms of colour accuracy and viewing angle.

Going to keep this monitor as my second anyway and be rid of the janky TV, however when looking at monitors the cheaper ones don't even use TN they use "VA"
what's "VA"?
I just want a decent 1080p 144hz experience, don't give a fuck about x-sync, colour accuracy or viewing angle.

Attached: 1536989197366.jpg (170x170, 10K)

So not long ago i built this:
>MSI b450a pro
>ryzen 5 2400g
>2x4GB patrot viper 3000mhz
>Fortron hyper 80+ 500W
>Samsung 860 evo 500GB ssd

I used my old pc case and my old shitty 720p monitor and everything went great of course. Then few days ago i got a 1080p monitor and cs:go was on fucking 40 fps with 1080p medium settings. My processor was hitting 70°C when barely in use. I overclocked the gpu a little (from 400mhz default to 650mhz). It went good, i had about 70fps on same settings, but it started hitting 85°C after 1 hour of playing cs go.
Yesterday i opened my case and played like that and guess what... I have all settings maxed out in cs go and i have 70+ fps, and the temperature is around 60°C (not overclocked). So am i really getting so much better performance just because i opened my case and the cpu is not so hot?
Note: im using an old shitty pc case and the stock ryzen cooler

ballicom.co.uk/asus-dual-rx580-4g.p1419513.html

this a good deal la

Yeah, that's not bad. Keep in mind it's a cheap cooler which come with the downsides mentioned in OP, but for the price you can't complain.

>in terms of panels TN is bottom tier, right?
Not for gaming.

Which case?

Thanks, will play with lower resolution then.
I rarely play games, so was not aware this is so demanding. Also desktop runs perfectly fine with hd7950 and 2 4k monitors, so i thought any modern card will handle 4k PoE2 w/o any problems.

pcpartpicker.com/list/H7LLKB

For gaming and photo editing. I already have a 1080p 60hz monitor. Did I do good?

pcpartpicker.com/list/nRdPLJ
Saved a bit on motherboard (still good for overclocking this CPU), case and PSU, and added a 500gb SSD. Would also be worth putting another ~$40 into the RAM for a 16gb kit if you can stretch.

Rendering a desktop is a LOT less demanding than rendering a full 3D environment with all the bells and whistles that come with that (such as shadows, lighting, and particle effects). RX580/590 is a pretty good card for Linux, it's not too expensive and the newer drivers are a lot better than the ones the 7950 uses. If you don't mind lower resolutions, it should be a pretty good upgrade.

I got a Strix VEGA64 + Ryzen 2700X. Will I regret it? In my country it's way cheaper than Intel/Nvidia.

>Photo editing
Hope you're not gonna be using Photoshop.

24 pin connector = Motherboard, pretty big, pretty hard to miss, most usually near the RAM slots.

4 pin square connectors, usually paired: CPU, usually at the top left of the motherboard. Depending on the setup, either 4 or 8 are required.

8 pin connectors that can be separated into 6+2, usually labeled PCI-E: For the GPU. Beefy ones require 2 of those with 8 pins each.

Flat 4 pin connectors: Molex IDE connectors for stuff such as ancient hard drives or fans/LEDs coming out of your case.

Even flatter connectors: SATA connectors, required for hard drives, SSDs.

Little thingie that goes with the last two: Required for old floppy disk drives.

R5 2600 overclocked or 2600X?

Pair it with an Acer XF270HU and enjoy

memory controllers are on the cpu grandpa, a good b450 and a hyper 212 evo will get upwards of 4ghz

*not for extreme autistic esports tier gayming
when I play my gaymes I want deep, rich colors and sharp visuals, something TN panels cannot give me. Monitors like the XB271HU are peak performance and I do not give a piss about 1/100000th of a second ms

is overclocking a 2600 a good idea?
I've got some Cl16 3200mhz ram which I will tighten the timings of, and a B450M Mortar which supports both XFR and PBO.
My 600w PSU does give me enough OC headroom, both for my r5 2600 and GTX 1070. Should I still do it? There's no point in a 5% FPS boost if power consumption dramatically increases.

Attached: 401.jpg.png (680x1282, 363K)

I honestly have no idea but heres a pic

Attached: SAM_0508.jpg (3712x2784, 2.22M)

Buy acer xf270hu and pray for rng with the panel, or wait for new releases?
Also recommendations for 1440 ips freesync?

i'm in a flat for 3 months and want to bring my pc over.
would it be worth getting a wifi card for it, or a usb wifi adapter thing?

>is overclocking a 2600 a good idea?
Absolutely. Sounds like you have your plan laid out, although I didn't think the non "X" CPUs supported PBO.
Horses for courses I guess. Sweeping scrubs in CS;GO? TN. Breathtaking strolls Tomb Raider? IPS. like you, I'm the latter.

There's maybe like a 1000 people in the world who would have noticeable efficiency improvement due to response time difference between IPS and TN.

t. reached Global Elite multiple times with a 60hz IPS panel

It's either that or the ASUS MG279Q.

>There's maybe like a 1000 people in the world who would have noticeable efficiency improvement due to response time difference between IPS and TN
I definitely ain't one of them.

Depends on the prices

You won't see a big difference since in games you'll be bottlenecked by the 1070

Ah I'm the former then, I noticed a difference between going to my current 1ms LED monitor from a 8(?) best part of 10 ms older monitor, difference was night and day to me.

>memory controllers are on the cpu grandpa
And we all know that a memory controller is responsible for CPU overclocking.

>a good b450 and a hyper 212 evo will get upwards of 4ghz
depends on your silicon lottery

Attached: 1540904802860.jpg (1498x844, 394K)

>*not for extreme autistic esports tier gayming
No, not for any kind of gaming where there is decent amount of motion.
>when I play my gaymes I want deep, rich colors and sharp visuals,
You want a picture? Cause a still frame will provide all of those.
Guess you didn't realize your requirements were perfectly fulfilled by a picture.
Because motion, clary of movement and smoothness don't matter at all to you apparently.

to add to this there is nothing stopping you from enjoying your color. I personally think ISP for movies or pictures is perfect and there is nothing wrong with that.
But for video games, refresh rate, low response times matter more for the experience.

Same, I always dismiss this response time talk as nonsense you'd have to play at some extreme percentile with perfect play to ever take advantage of it. I just don't see it playing out that way in practice, most people including me who is probably in the 0,1%-0,5% in the world are not good enough and don't play at a high enough level for it to ever matter in actual efficiency.

Placebo effects are probably there though, but someone claiming they can actually notice a difference between true 1ms and true 3-4 ms would have such fast reactions they would be pro players. Still tens of millions people buy these monitors claiming they can 'feel' a difference but never play at high levels of play where you would assume such people would play.

>Even for older games, your performance can fucking tank even with newer hardware
This.
Even a 2080 Ti struggles to run Crysis 1 in 4k with a consistent 60fps and that game is 10 years old

> you can't discern very subtle taste differences because you're not a food critique

>So in theory even my ~4 year old samsung LED monitor has a beter quality panel in terms of colour accuracy and viewing angle.
You realize TN panels have been labeled as LED too since over 5 years, right?

opinion?

Attached: monitors.png (1000x1000, 401K)

humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

>if it doesn't give you an Esports advantage then it's useless for gaming
>lower response times don't feel better because input lag is bad
>but BETTER COLORS ARE IMPORTANT FOR GAMING EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T GIVE YOU A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE
How do you fucks keep this shit going. You judge TN and high refresh based on muh esports and then turn around and say your ISP gets judged by completely different criteria and how muh colors is just nice.

I haven't talked anything about IPS or TN advantages, just that most people don't have the brain to notice, it's just placebo.

Personally I don't care much about TN or IPS, IPS looks a little better in movies I guess.

>dude why do you need a light to blink so fast to give you the illusion of constant light, here is a human reaction time benchmark to show you that you can't feel or percieve 5ms time difference.
Your logic is golden. Your idea of testing if people can feel or percieve the difference is based on "can you react fast enough"
Based on your own retarded logic, all monitors could have 200ms delay and nobody would notice a difference.
Fucking idiot.

I don't know why you say that, I said
>Placebo effects are probably there though, but someone claiming they can actually notice a difference between true 1ms and true 3-4 ms

I'm not talking about high delays which you seem to imply, but the true response time difference between true 1ms panels and true 3-4 ms which the current high end IPS panels have.

Do you plan to watch movies/pictures or play games.

>>I'm not talking about high delays which you seem to imply, but the true response time difference between true 1ms panels and true 3-4 ms which the current high end IPS panels have
Ah, so we are no longer taking the cost of monitors into account and have a virtually unlimited budget to spend?
WELL THEN, if throwing money at the problem solves things, then you can do the same for TN. It's color accuracy can actually be higher than ISP if you throw enough money at TN.

>1ms TN panels
Debunked by any review of any monitor ever. The real value is, for almost all monitors, at least 3 times higher
Keep believing it, goy.

Nope, didn't realise that at all mate.
For me personally, the asus, the only one capable of 144hz there. I was looking at;
overclockers.co.uk/msi-optix-g24c-24-1920x1080-va-freesync-144hz-1ms-curved-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-001-ms.html
Kind of want a non-curved variant though.

Just want to avoid the experience of my much older 1080p monitor, it was like having v-sync constantly enabled, unplayable. Even this shitty TV i use as a second monitor has a better response.

Money has nothing to do with it, claiming you can notice a difference of 2-3 ms when your reaction time is around 150-300 ms is just nonsense. I get around 120 on that site and I would never claim to notice. There are pros who get around 80 and even here I doubt you would notice.

Probably the ViewSonic or the Asus, depending on what you're doing and what the prices look like.

both i guess, it's for a rx580 linux multi purpose build, programming, blender, steam etc

Currently running a 1070 in an old ass i5 build.
CPU is major bottleneck for me at the moment.
Going to build a new system with a ryzen 7 at the centre. Keeping the 1070.
I have a fractal design r4 and hate how big and heavy it is. Going to change to mATX.
Looking for recommendations of a mATX case. Something classy and preferably less than £100.
Also looking for recommendations for a monitor to go with this build.
I know 1440p but which one? I don't want to drop too much on a monitor because I feel like I'll be upgrading to 4k probably in the next couple of years. So something affordable.

Get something with Freesync support, then.

>Money has nothing to do with it,
>latency doesn't matter beacuse ISP given enough money can be "good enough"
>but TN given enough money that can have accurate colors isn't good enough.

>claiming you can notice a difference of 2-3 ms when your reaction time is around 150-300 ms is just nonsense.
Retard. You know those lightbulbs that flash many times a second that give you an illusion that they are constant light sources, yeah?
Check what the frequency per second is. Now check how much of a difference it takes to break the illusion so all you see is light flashing on and off instead of the illusion of being on at all times.

Your idea that reaction time = perception time and that people can't percieve, low latency, or smoothness is retarded at best.

>building i7 8700k
>rog strix e/f alls old out at nearby shops
>rog strix e/f online sold out or being sold at 2x price

What's a good alternative? Been eyeing ASROCK z370 EXTREME4 but I dont know much about Asrock boards. I've always been an ASUS guy.

TN for low latency, high refresh rate for gaming.
ISP for pictures and movies.

what's wrong with the aoc and iiyama?
>depending on what you're doing
see also pluging a ps4, the hdmi tv from my box, a raspberry etc

i was considering the 22 aoc for possible later dual screen setup because i think two 24" will be too big

>ISP for pictures and movies.
Not necessarily true.
If you play STR, slow-paced games like LoL or Assasin's Creed, you can very well use an IPS.
IPS may become an issue if you play fast-paced racing games or fast paced FPS like Doom.

the 4 in my pic have freesync but wasn't freesync not working on linux at the moment?

I haven't built a PC since 2012 (also only been on Jow Forums a handful of times since then). You guys helped me build my last PC (pic related), and it's still going (relatively) strong to this day, but I need a graphics card upgrade to take better advantage of my Dell P2715Q and more power to deal with processing 4k video from my mobicams/drone. I don't do much gaming these days, but would want something capable of running the next ES on ultra

Anybody got any links to good PC Part Picker builds that would match my needs? Or anyone with similar usage want to share their build? Would be good to get a shortcut/head start on the build using someone elses research/knowledge.

Attached: 20120922_003939.jpg (1224x1632, 524K)

i do all that, that's why i ask
basically my question is, is it worth it to have a 144Hz TN as my main instead of a 60Hz IPS just for the smoothness in fast fps games?

Depends on what you prioritize.
I personally use TN 144hz and enjoy the smoothness and response and consider heresy anything less than that for gaming.
Some other will say lol ISP is the best, the colors are much better, who cares about smoothness and response.

You know what user, just go to a fucking shop and compare the two monitors.
Ask them to run "blur buster" tests on the monitors so you can compare the smoothness of a high refresh rate
and some pictures to compare the colors
(sadly only way to compare response times and input delay is through playing video games and seeing how it feels)

So my BenQ XL2411T just died and I'm looking for a new 144Hz monitor.
There's three monitors that I can easily afford that are basically at the same price :

- ViewSonic XG2401
- Samsung C24FG73
- AOC C24G1

I'd prefer getting one of the VA monitors, but I've heard it wasn't that great on higher refresh rates ?
My BenQ had terrible color accuracy and overall looked meh, so if I have to go TN I really hope it got better than a few years ago.

AOC is fine as a brand, but the monitor is smaller than the ViewSonic. I've had bad experiences with Iiyama. 24'' isn't too big. It's the best size for 1080p.

The ViewSonic and the AOC don't appear to be, from what my search turned up. The ASUS does, but since you're doing more than just gaming, I'd advise against TN.

FreeSync works right now with a patched kernel and the proprietary drivers, IIRC. I believe proper FreeSync support is scheduled for either 4.20 or 5.00.

>My BenQ had terrible color accuracy and overall looked meh,
Did you use a custom color profile to fix that?

I tried lots of stuff when I used it, I even had someone calibrate it with a Spyder something and it always looked kinda bad compared to my cheap VA/IPS screens.

>glosses over the part where I say monitors like the XB271HU is peak performance
typical autist. Muh picshur, outside of esports there's zero fucking reason to own a TN panel over an IPS one.
>you want vibrant colors and a sharp picture, stare at a still frame
what an absolutely mong thing to say, holy jesus.

what an absolutely mong thing to say, holy jesus.

What you were seeing is bad contrast compared to an IPS, not color accuracy

Ordered some cheap stuff on eBay to practice assembly and have something other than a laptop to run basic games at low to medium graphics. This should work, right?

Dell Optiplex 760 SFF w/ Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHz, includes case, mobo, cooling, psu, optical drive.

GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 DirectX 12 GV-N1030D4-2GL 2GB 64-Bit DDR4 Low Profile

8GB 2x 4GB DDR2-800 MHZ PC2-6400 240 Pins Memory RAM

Dell Constellation ES 1TB 1000GB HDD 3.5” 7200 RPM 9YZ164-036

All for $100, so I'm not in too deep.

Attached: s-l400 (1).jpg (400x300, 15K)

Pls halp

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-28-17-12-22-980_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg (720x1048, 123K)

Good price for yurop, if you're unlucky and yours has issues send it back, every manufacturer is likely to put out a few that are problematic, some more than others but you have 2 years warranty.

My old pc shit the bed shipping across the country, but needed an upgrade anyways (old phenom and gts 450).

Guy near me is offering this for 400. Good deal?

i5-4670k
Cm hyper 212
16gb DDR3
GTX 970
2 x 1TB hdd
Rosewill 1000w Gold (lol why)
NZXT H630
MSI z87-g65 mobo

I bought a TN monitor and it shows up today, what say you IPS shills?

Attached: 1543309167122.png (466x512, 124K)

Enjoy your washed up colors.

Doing my build on a solid wooden table (floor is carpet). As long as I don't wear socks and do the PSU grounding thing, no static risk right?

To be safe, I always build my stuff naked

The colors are fine per every review I read, once I calibrate them