/spg/ - Smartphone General

Camera Hole Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Huawei-Nova-4-1543410791-0-0.png (1920x1080, 339K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7SgWZiqsE9A
youtube.com/watch?v=0j-zUutbjMM
amazon.co.uk/i-Blason-Samsung-Full-body-Protector-Release/dp/B079BLHH67
youtube.com/watch?v=as8Q1o02bpM
warosu.org/g/thread/S68630621#p68630775
forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I. FUCKING. HATE. APPLE.

I hate that iOS has native sandboxing for all apps WTF ANDROID DOESN'T HAVE THAT and I also hate that their phones have guaranteed updates for 5 years even though Android is only 2. How disgusting is that? Or that they have one of the most secure OS on the market - only because it's closed source! My chinkshit spybox Android phone is open source except for the proprietary software preloaded onto it from ChingChong that data mines me and makes my phone more vulnerable to malware. Or that their OS is designed around their hardware so it's fully optimized and synergetic. GAWD

Whatever, what about their computers - UGH more optimized and synergetic software and hardware experience. That's trash. I get 3 hours of battery life on my chinkpad with loonix. That's enough time for me to fix my scripts that broke since the kernel update. Fucking macfags AUGH

people still use smartphones in 2k18?

Attached: asffsac.png (1904x1036, 206K)

Attached: Dbu_N5nW0AE2UOy.jpg (1080x793, 114K)

Any advice on refurbished smartphones?

don't

Only apple, at least they'll have updates and apple care

Thanks anons.

Yeah... Don't forget to take your meds today.

Samsung offers the better phone out of them both, or I would have gone for the Pixel. It also doesn't help that the Note 9 is cheaper than the Pixel 2 128gb in my country (no micro sd card support, jfl)
I'll wait for the Note 10 and if Samsung has the shitty pinhole style camera in the display I'll grab the Note 9 on discount.

any impressions of honor 7x ?

Attached: 1501356815398.png (696x800, 58K)

Pocomon 64GB or 128GB? Is it worth the extra cash if I choose the biggest one?

No, you can get 200gb+ cards for real cheap
alternatively get the 128gb, price difference isn't that big.

i assume thats a chink company knocking off Samsung, if not then jesus why did Samsung bother, the bezels are massive and everywhere. Also, WHY THE FUCK DID SAMSUNG BOTHER WITH A NOTCH, EVEN IF IT IS A CIRCLE. Why couldnt they just remove the front camera, i am not a fucking prepubescent teen girl trying to selfie my life for the instasnatch app, it servers no purpose otherwise

Got a OnePlus 6t recently it's pretty comfy

Nice argument, mister

That's a Huawei phone. They probably found out Samsung is planning to release a phone with a camera cutout and decided to beat them to it.

Also, the bezels might seem big but if you look closely you can tell the phone is in a case.

mate, piss off, every fucking phone has a front camera now. It's not just teen girls who could use a front cam you total shitlord fucking virgin aspie

Huawei has top tier budget phones, the 7x has a meh chipset though, it's not that bad. Check their budget phones with flagship chips: Nova 2S ($250, china exclusive, no band 20, Kirin 960), Honor V10 ($300, Kirin 970). P20 Lite is also pretty good, but it has a notch.

Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite or Pocophone?
I'm not a heavy phone user, but which is more bang for my buck? Would just compromise and get the standard A2 but lack of headphone jack and expandable memory irks me. Is the Pocophone that much better for 100 more, or will A2 Lite be suitable for shitposting and snapchatting?

>bang for buck
here's something i did
go to kimovil
look up phones to be compared
write down their antutu scores
get price of seller/store i would be buying from
get the price/performance ratio
pick based on that

Attached: 41155315_10212272877526752_1560737905016569856_n.jpg (394x539, 25K)

Is the iPhome XR good, Jow Forums?

god i hope fedex doesn't fuck my phone shipment.

it's kay

It's a XS with an LCD screen and a single lense camera. Same A12 Bionic chipset, which is the most advanced chipset on the market.

If anything it's a better buy than the XS because the LEDs still have burn in problems. But it you take lots of pictures and that matters to you, I would buy the year-older X.

You could probably keep this phone for like 5 years and be fine.

it's okay, but price is ridiculous

Decent for a $300 phone, but for its price, there are better options.

All iPhones are guaranteed updates for 5 years. That, in addition to the A12 chip thats at least three generations ahead of any Snapdragon processor, theoretically a person who buys a XR would be able to keep it for much longer. And finally, the resale value of iPhones is a lot more than Android devices. But Apple has a program at their stores where you finance your new iPhone, then after a year they buy it back and you get the new generation without paying for it.

they are nearly identical, except Poco has newer hardware and more RAM. It's more future-proof and will stay quick for longer

>All iPhones are guaranteed updates for 5 years
Who gives a fuck. It's not like my android will stop working after 5 years. Plus Apple update will gimp your phone to "save battery" after 2 years

>three generations ahead of any Snapdragon processor
fuck off, if XR is three generations ahead why is it slower than $280 chinkphone
youtube.com/watch?v=7SgWZiqsE9A

>resale value
pls, you're just cherry picking obscure stuff nobody cares about. Sadly that's all you have
Delusional Applel fanboy

Anyone else buy a pixel3 from Google and have the tracking number stuck at label created for days?

Why not use their program to finance an 8+ then? That way you wouldn't be stuck with a turd until Apple makes a decent phone again or you decide to jump ship.

youtube.com/watch?v=0j-zUutbjMM

does the responses to his taps on the touchscreen look janky to anyone else?

Help Jow Forums
Parents are asking whether Nokia7+ or iphone7 is better. For a friend lawyer of theirs. What do?
Apparently Nokia is heavier than the other and their cam specs are not so off, despite having 2 year difference in their launch dates.
Can you guys give me a better understanding of this comparison?

>t. Z3 Compact user

You have to go back.

no replies

Attached: ( }_{ ).jpg (392x251, 15K)

If they have to ask you for phone advice then they'd be better off with the iPhone

Kinda hard to compare. Just by holding it in your hand you should be able to decide - Nokia is fucking huge, while iPhone is more compact.
SD 660 in Nokia is kinda weak, it's mostly used in budget Xiaomi and Samsung A series. I'm not sure how it compares to Apple A10 Fusion though
Other that that Nokia has higher PPI and much bigger battery (~50% more use time) and more RAM (2gb on iPhone lel).
If they were the same price I'd pick Nokia... but they aren't the same price, are they now

I literally the said the same thing. So an info dump should suffice, I suppose. Like this;
Thanks,
>but they aren't the same price, are they now
They are around where I live. Apple has solid optics and selling their shit way too overpriced.
>Nokia is big but a great battery, also heavier
>iPhone is smol, lightweight
>RAM is irrelevant, they are never going to test the limits of their pho-wait what, 2gb?
Holy shit.
Anyways, I'm saying Nokia.

Attached: 1518725897046.png (690x690, 372K)

I want to populate Mars with Hifumi.

Yesterday some user with a Pixel 2 posted some sample shots and they were admittedly really impressive.

OnePlus 6T or Galaxy S9+?

Crazy overpriced. They cost the same as Pixel 3 and Note 9 in my country.

Any good recommendations for a s9 case?

Was thinking of of pic related

amazon.co.uk/i-Blason-Samsung-Full-body-Protector-Release/dp/B079BLHH67

Attached: 71ApGxIK-PL._SX425_.jpg (425x543, 34K)

s9+ is all-around a better product and a better choice (unless there a price difference)

my problem with apple isn't this (because that isn't really true), it's the fact that they gate new features to new devices just because they can.

Look at Google Night Sight, one of the most disruptive new tech in mobile photography in years, and it works all the way down to Pixel 1s. Sure, it works best in the latest and greatest Pixel but still.

Apple will release something similar next year and lock it to their latest XSII or XII or whatever even though it would still work with the X and XS.

Currently using company S9. It's nice, but a gimmicky screen isn't the most comfortable most of the time. As I might be switching jobs soon - is a used S7 (non-edge) a good option? Or is there a better 200 USB alternative?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 19.50.25.png (382x420, 61K)

So the note 4 is dying on me, from me dropping it a bunch i guess. I can grab a used s7 active from craiglist for 175 or get a refurb turbo2 from walmart with their 2 year warranty plan for about the same price. Which is the better deal here?

what carrier you on?

i want a pocofone but it doesnt have any LTE bands so that means it's only for nerds because i cant have one desu.

is there any user here with a Nokia 8?
I was thinking in buying one but the small size 5.3' put me off (I have kinda big hands)
Moto G5s Plus or this one?

if it's a choice between only those two, get the Nokia.

Virgin (poland)

Redmi Note 5 or Note 6 Pro

>note 6 pro
I refuse to buy a phone with a notch.

>redmi note 5
how's the camera on these things? I just bought redmi 5 for my GF and the camera is subpar, the microphone is not the best and it overally feels kind of cheap. Wouldn't it be smart to go for 2-3 year flagship? Asking honestly

why didn't i buy a pixel when it was on sale

Attached: 1528940730235.png (657x527, 58K)

you did good

youtube.com/watch?v=as8Q1o02bpM
there's not much difference speed-wise between s9 and s7

It's not about your phone not working in five years, it's about security and feature updates. Android users suffer the most from malware because security updates are only guaranteed for two years. Additionally, custom ROMs from manufacturers not only leave proprietary blobs in the OS but they also add security holes. Users who updated their four year old iPhone SE to IOS 12 reported that it ran better and got better battery life. I'm sure there was throttling, but to stop that you just have to replace the battery which is $20 total from Apple. You'll wanna replace your battery after a couple years anyways.

There is a promotion right now that gives you travel coupons that match the price you pay for the Pixel, need to sign up for Google Fi though.

Useful if you plan on flying anywhere in a few months.

>it's about security and feature updates.
You really think that's a legit reason to pay double for inferior phone?
>Android users suffer the most from malware
I've been using android for 10+ years and never seen a single piece of malware on my phone. You don't even know what you're talking about, just stick to Apple

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't Trump empirical evidence. Android users suffer the most from malware. Fact.

And yes, an $800 phone from Apple can be sold for $200 five years later on the eBay. Look at the prices of the SE right now. You have five years of support, especially features. I think that's important and worth the extra money.

Even if an Android user uploads the latest OS from Android onto their old phone, that edition of Android wasn't written with that old hardware in mind so it'll run like shit or have even more security holes.

That's why you only buy Nexus/Pixel and never have that problem.

majority of malware is writen for android and windows, because those are the OSes that have boggest piece of market share. You still have to be a complete moron to get a virus, and something you'll never encounter is not a good reason to switch OS

Pixel devices are only guaranteed for two years, like the rest of Androids. Not sure what your argument is.

Malware affects Android not only because of how many people use it, but also because of the disparity between versions that the overall user base has. Not everyone runs the same version of Android whereas most Apple users are using the same version of iOS. Custom ROMs are also much more common amongst Android users, custom ROMs are the most exploitable (save Copperhead).

Wow, now thats a very attractive offer
I was considering a pixel because im between a decent compact camera (rx100 iii) and new phone with a good camera like the pixel
I wish i had more time to decide

>Pixel devices are only guaranteed for two years
Three years for Pixel 2 and 3

>Not sure what your argument is.
My argument was that your arguments only apply to Android devices that aren't made by Google.

most downloaded app off the Apple Store was loaded with malware
your point is invalid

Attached: 1523521433420.jpg (500x307, 39K)

>custom ROMs are the most exploitable (save Copperhead).
got a source to back that up? or are you just basing that claim off the manufacturer warning relating to unlocking the bootloader? most Android users who even bother flashing ROMs are knowledgeable enough to not download malware apps, you're talking out of your ass iSheep

I stand corrected - that's better but still not as long as Apple. Pixel devices seem to hold their value better too, but not as well.

Many people aren't buying Pixel devices. If someone doesn't have money to buy an Android flagship two to three years, they're better off buying an iPhone imo.

That's your fault for being a burguer.

>what is Android One
keep talking out of your ass iDrone, shit's hilarious
>moving to a third world shithole that shoves smelly mudshits down your throat and touts it as "progressive"
yeah nah

Need help finding smartphone. I'm an old Boomer and a brainlet.

I want flat screen, SD card support, stock or near stock Android, 835 or 845 chip thing, LCD screen, and finger print sensor. I have a Xz1 compact but it's too tiny for me. The XZ2's for some reason have a bland display. I'm too stupid to flash or any of that. What are my options ?

Use the GSMarena phone finder.

I would suggest pocophone but it's far from stock and you have 0 interest in learning how to flash shit even when it takes 15 minutes tops

Why do you need an 835 or 845? I'm not saying you don't, but consider if your use case really requires bleeding edge mobile hardware.

You don't need sdcard support, Pixel phones come with free unlimited photo/video storage.

Cope harder lmao

Unless they come with an unlimited datacap too, that may not solve his problem.

>>custom ROMs are the most exploitable (save Copperhead).
>got a source to back that up?
Of course not, because he's talking out of his ass.

Oneplus 6 had a nice price drop.
If you can find one for ~420 bucks, it's a great buy

Sure it does, the backup settings are completely customizeable you don't have to do it over cell radio.

>Your anecdotal evidence doesn't Trump empirical evidence. Android users suffer the most from malware. Fact.
And yet you've posted no sources. Let's see how security and privacy oriented you iOS is:
warosu.org/g/thread/S68630621#p68630775
Not to mention 0-day exploits.

Attached: 1ns8tg.jpg (2524x1419, 207K)

are you a construction worker or something

>does the responses to his taps on the touchscreen look janky to anyone else?
Could be, but the fix for the unresponsive touchscreen on the edges of the display is coming in the next stable update.
>You don't need sdcard support, Pixel phones come with free unlimited photo/video storage.
Yeah. On Google's servers. Also:

Got me a new phone.
But it isn't new, it's a refurbished iphone SE, because that's the most modern usefull phone you can get, but either I'm retarded or I got a japanese device.
How on earth do you turn of the camera sound on apple devices?
Apparently, you just put that anachronistic button in silent, and the camera sound is off too, but on this fucker, it isn't.
According to the internet, that's not a bug, but a feature.
On japanese devices.
How the hell did a jap iphone get to europe?

yeah you can't do that on jap phones for creep reasons

Shut up nerd, you'll never continue your family lineage with a Pocofone

If I buy an unlocked phone in the US, will it work on any GSM carrier worldwide?

>The XZ2's for some reason have a bland display.
You can change the colour settings. You should know since the same setting is on the XZ1 Compact

Attached: Screenshot_20181128-230915.png (720x1280, 678K)

Lol these burguers are classic fox and grapes.

Yeah, but what if he needs access to that stuff? The whole point of local storage is to have whatever you want on hand when you need it. What if his plan is keeping a TV collection on there? Or a shitload of games? The unlimited cloud backup for images and video is nice but it's not a magic bullet for storage.

As long as the frequencies match, sure. Most modern smartphones should get 2G and 3G pretty much everywhere, but 4G might not be guaranteed.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but does anyone here have the Amazon HD 8? My family got memed on black Friday and bought some for ourselves for 30 bucks or something. They're nice enough, but the Fire OS is such fucking Ass with the ads. Does anyone know if I can completely change it to a basic Android OS and how?

Fuck.
Fucking japs…
Oh well, back it goes.
Another week without a phone then, because my trusty old blackberry now is really dead.

Attached: 800px-Angry_tiger.jpg (800x600, 169K)

forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10
you can remove ads but not install another OS
for $30 it's also probably recording everything you say and sending it to amazon, I'd just throw it in the trash honestly and tell your family to not be retarded next time

the SE is not an expensive phone, why do you need to buy it used?
btw that button is extremely useful, not sure why you call it anachronistic.

>the SE is not an expensive phone, why do you need to buy it used?
Because it's not in production anymore, and, being apple, it's still overprized.
I never payed more than 300€ for a phone, and I have no intention of starting that shit now. Why would I pay so much for a fucking device that I can loose or wreck at any given moment, especially when a 1000€ phone does nothing 3 times better than a 300€ phone, but only marginally so, if at all. Most of the times, they all do things worse too, so it's an even worse deal.
>inb4 hurrdurr, lol, you poor

>btw that button is extremely useful, not sure why you call it anachronistic.
Yes, it might be useful, but it's just ironica that apple, of all manufacturers, is the only one since years, that still has such a button. They're dead since over 10 years, I'd think, apart from on iphones, which pioneered taking away buttons.